Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Error 404 posted:

This is my thinking too. And I think that the weird knife she has that looks ceramic, might be somehow made along the same lines as Cleaver's blades.
This is pure speculation, but here's my theory:
Cleaver has been shown to be the only one who can hurt Alison
Cleaver's in government custody, it seems likely they're studying him the best way they can.
Maybe the knife is a prototype based on studying Cleaver.
Moonshadow acquired this super sharp magic knife somehow: She probably has government contacts, she hired the mercs, maybe she's got a lot of money, maybe she just stole it

I'm thinking it'll be her vs Alison, and the stakes will be super-high because Alison can obviously crush her instantly if she catches her, but Moonshadow would have something that can potentially kill Alison, and invisibility.

They got a bunch of money from that movie, not sure how much though, that might cover her activities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Carrasco posted:

At this point professional mercs may be the only non-biodynamics who can offer her any sort of challenge.

Well, maybe not that much of a challenge.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Knifeball isn't that safe a game. :(

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Obviously if those teenagers and that judge hadn't forgotten to bring their paint-filled balloons with them they'd sill be alive. A tragic misfortune.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
She's training because she knows she may have to face Alison, and I kind of agree about the knife.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Well, this isn't going down like I expected at all.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

She's either recruiting them to help defeat Alison or she's going to brutally murder them.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

nimby posted:

She's either recruiting them to help defeat Alison or she's going to brutally murder them.

I'm going with #2.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Oh no, Alison's greatest foe- 5 guys with guns! How will she overcome such a threat?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I'm thinking brutal murder. Maybe there are real guns in that box to make it more challenging.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

No cutesy mouseover comment this time, even the metacommentary has gone silent. Them boys is hosed.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Sometimes the hover text gets added later on - there have been a bunch of pages that didn't have it when they went up. (Don't know if it's for Drama Reasons or if Brennan just hasn't come up with one yet.)

Also, against my better judgment, I looked at the comment section.

...and it's actually okay. Pretty good, even. I don't understand. I don't understand how this can happen. I'm scared.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Moonshadow don't play with your food.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Sometimes the hover text gets added later on - there have been a bunch of pages that didn't have it when they went up. (Don't know if it's for Drama Reasons or if Brennan just hasn't come up with one yet.)

Also, the hover text sometimes changes after a few days.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Serious Frolicking posted:

Oh no, Alison's greatest foe- 5 guys with guns! How will she overcome such a threat?

They'd be a distraction while Moonshadow does her throat-cutting. Not that she really needs it, but doesn't hurt to have some help.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

McSpanky posted:

No cutesy mouseover comment this time, even the metacommentary has gone silent. Them boys is hosed.
"Now that that's settled and everyone knows the score, it's time to begin the live fire exercise."

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Huh, why's the guy in the 5th panel moving his hand behind his back?

Was... he going to get grabby with Moonshadow in panel 3, then realized 'oh poo poo, superhero'? His buddy also looks like he's just as shaken by that reveal.

Kind of strikes me as a boneheaded move considering Decker(?) thought 'invisible slasher'.

So I'm guessing that before the group went freelance at least one of them did something shady that caused someone to call on the invisible slasher.

I guess having them all come out on a contract gig was the easiest way to get them together. But it doesn't strike me as very smart for Moonshadow to do that, if she is going to kill at least one of them. Unless said contract was done under the table, or untraceable to her in any way. But she apparently gave them an alias that was protected via clearance.

I suppose it's also possible that she has connections to get the investigation swept under the rug.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
She is pretty much going to murder every last one of them for practice and the slasher reveal is given to them as an incentive to attack her.

Jackard posted:

"Now that that's settled and everyone knows the score, it's time to begin the live fire exercise."

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

I'm guessing one of them just bolts, ends up getting away, and that's how Allison finds out about Mary.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Alternately, the commando guy in the background still wearing his mask is Patrick.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

There's no way those poor mercs are getting out of there alive.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So, why is she murdering the mercs? War crimes? Her killings so far have all held some kind of justification, I don't think she's just decided to start murdering people for the hell of it. :raise:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Yeah, seems like a lot of trouble to go through to get these guys together and up to date and sparred with if she's just going to kill them.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Maybe she's getting overconfident and is "playing" with her food? Like how a cat might swat around a bird it's crippled and captured.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Kgummy posted:

Huh, why's the guy in the 5th panel moving his hand behind his back?

Was... he going to get grabby with Moonshadow in panel 3, then realized 'oh poo poo, superhero'? His buddy also looks like he's just as shaken by that reveal.

Kind of strikes me as a boneheaded move considering Decker(?) thought 'invisible slasher'.

If you're going to die anyway, might as well go out in a blaze of glory.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Tollymain posted:

So, why is she murdering the mercs? War crimes? Her killings so far have all held some kind of justification, I don't think she's just decided to start murdering people for the hell of it. :raise:

Rape is endemic in the armed forces, and all her previous victims have been sex offenders who have gotten away with it.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Tollymain posted:

Oracle posted:

Rape is endemic in the armed forces, and all her previous victims have been sex offenders who have gotten away with it.

Alternatively, she may be far enough down the rabbit hole that "Nobody can know my secret," is justification. Slippery slope and all that.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Warmachine posted:

Alternatively, she may be far enough down the rabbit hole that "Nobody can know my secret," is justification. Slippery slope and all that.

But they didn't know until she told them :v:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Has no one considered that she might be trying to hire them? There's only so much vigilante justice one killer can mete out.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that seems a really unwise choice

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Tenebrais posted:

Has no one considered that she might be trying to hire them? There's only so much vigilante justice one killer can mete out.

I mean they thought they were working for the killer anyways and didn't really have a problem with it so they're obviously not the most ethical bunch of PMC mercenaries around

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Oracle posted:

Plus it'll help set up why Allison's reaction to Rapey McMolesterson the Earl of Surprise of the lands of Taking Advantage of Impaired Young Women, wasn't 100% appropriate.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Yeah uh she's gonna murder those guys for something they did during the war or something.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I really don't see why you'd hire someone for a mock battle, mock a battle, reveal yourself, and then try to kill them. Especially when your modus operandi is to strike out of nowhere.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Tenebrais posted:

I really don't see why you'd hire someone for a mock battle, mock a battle, reveal yourself, and then try to kill them. Especially when your modus operandi is to strike out of nowhere.

So they don't have live ammunition? But then again, I think that's what she's bringing out of the crate.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

So they don't have live ammunition? But then again, I think that's what she's bringing out of the crate.

Hiring them for a mock battle, sure, but if she wanted to kill them she'd have killed them while they were firing blanks at her.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
She grew up as a literal costumed superhero fighting giant robots. Theatricality can't be too alien to her. Also, she then decided the best use of her power was to brutally murder teenagers, but only after making a really weird, dramatic speech to the person those teenagers hurt. If she thinks these guys are bad for whatever reason, I would not be surprised if she kills them.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Tenebrais posted:

Hiring them for a mock battle, sure, but if she wanted to kill them she'd have killed them while they were firing blanks at her.

I agree that makes waaaaay the hell more sense than what she appears to be doing.

Wittgen posted:

She grew up as a literal costumed superhero fighting giant robots. Theatricality can't be too alien to her. Also, she then decided the best use of her power was to brutally murder teenagers, but only after making a really weird, dramatic speech to the person those teenagers hurt. If she thinks these guys are bad for whatever reason, I would not be surprised if she kills them.

It totally looks like this. Super heroes be crazy.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
I don't know, you can't compare training with duds to an actual fight where the other side is actively trying to kill you as far as battle experience goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Unless this is some sort of elaborate training she has set up for herself, the only thing that really makes sense is she going to hire them. The mock fight might just be a demonstration of how easily Moon could kill them if they decide to be uncooperative. If they cant stop her when they have numbers and are expecting her, then their odds don't look too good. Otherwise, what she is doing doesn't make a lot of sense.

I don't think this is her being theatrical either because most of the time she seems perfectly happy just to cut people down without ceremony so why treat these guys differently? Moon seems pragmatic more than anything. I wouldn't be shocked if she was sick to death of the whole costumed superhero/villain routine in general. It certainly hasn't worked out for her.

• Locked thread