Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The one true buttrock video game song is this masterpiece, the main menu theme for a game called Dragon's Dogma. The saddest part is that it was removed in the rerelease. I can only hope that the game gets a PC port (though it won't) and that that port has this in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Quest For Glory II posted:

Also tried Little Inferno and it seems pretty chill. Although I get what they're going for, satirizing iOS games with the timers and the "wanna speed it up??" currency, at the end of the day I'm just like HURRY UP!!!! I get the joke!! Just gimme my poo poo so I can burn it!

What a lot of people don't realize about Little Inferno is that you don't have to wait nearly as long if you try to go for combos. If you just burn poo poo at random, the game won't give you coupons and you'll have to wait forever for new poo poo to arrive.

gyger
Feb 19, 2010
Are the Resident Evil Revelations DLC paid cheat codes or is there anything worthwhile?

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Does anyone know whether the Capcom weekend is going to have spotlight sales - I want to get Dead Rising 2: Off The Record but I'm kind of surprised it's only 50% off.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Rather Dashing posted:

Does anyone know whether the Capcom weekend is going to have spotlight sales - I want to get Dead Rising 2: Off The Record but I'm kind of surprised it's only 50% off.

Doesn't look like it, otherwise there'd be something on a special sale now, but best wait until the new Steam day starts in 5 hours just in case.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Rather Dashing posted:

I hope so. I loved DR2, but Steam has spoiled us so $5-$8 feels like the impulse purchase range for a three year old game.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Dark Souls really isn't an RPG, imo. It's more of an action game/platformer.

And I don't mean that as an insult to the game. It's great. Just when most people ask for an RPG, they usually don't mean something like the Souls games.

EDIT: It's also not THAT long unless you really get into replaying it and exploring and/or MP.

EDIT2: \/ I'm probably ruined by playing it after Demons' Souls but it took me about 20 hours to finish.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Sep 12, 2014

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
How Long to Beat (a really handy site) has it at 50 hours for a normal playthrough, which isn't exactly short.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

PC GTAV delayed until 27 Jan 2015.

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013

Junkenstein posted:

Not surprsing at all. Glad I played the PS3 version so I'm not too fussed about it :v:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

And I don't mean that as an insult to the game. It's great. Just when most people ask for an RPG, they usually don't mean something like the Souls games.

EDIT: It's also not THAT long unless you really get into replaying it and exploring and/or MP.

EDIT2: \/ I'm probably ruined by playing it after Demons' Souls but it took me about 20 hours to finish.

It's an action RPG. This is not really up to discussion, that's what the game is. There's no platforming involved outside of like one optional merchant, too.

You sure you weren't playing offline or something for part of it? 20 hours is really fast for a first playthrough, especially on PC where the Oolacile stuff is packaged in.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Yeah, my first playthrough took around 45 hours, if you're faster you're above average.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Anonymous Robot posted:

DMC4 only has one song for combat encounters, it's awful, it has lyrics, and it always starts from the same point when you enter a fight. That made it unplayable to me.

The time has come and so have I.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Junkenstein posted:

They did it just to crush Gat Out Of Hell.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Anonymous Robot posted:

DMC4 only has one song for combat encounters, it's awful, it has lyrics, and it always starts from the same point when you enter a fight. That made it unplayable to me.
Like you can hear the lyrics when fighting...
:byodood: BLASTOFF! BLASTOFF! HIyaaaa BLASTOFF! :byodood:

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Junkenstein posted:

It's official: Rockstar are complete poo poo at porting. I remember someone itt saying that Max Payne 3 took so much disk space because each level had its own assets baked in, not using one pool. Wonder what GTAV will be, 50 gigs?

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
How is Chronicles of Mystaria? I see that its co-op but is it also fun to play solo?

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Is there a thread for Hack n Slash anywhere?

I was super confident and smashing through it until I reached the tower and started Act 5 (final act?) and I've just hit a wall and have no idea.

I don't think I was even meant to be able to get into the tower yet but the game being what it is I just hacked my way in anyway.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Mokinokaro posted:

Haha what? It's the definition of an RPG, "RPG" does not mean "D&D only" nerd :engleft:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Terminally Bored posted:

It's official: Rockstar are complete poo poo at porting. I remember someone itt saying that Max Payne 3 took so much disk space because each level had its own assets baked in, not using one pool. Wonder what GTAV will be, 50 gigs?
Each level having its own separate pool of assets is a common practice on pretty much any non-Valve multiplatform game engine, sadly.

IIRC a hefty chunk of Max Payne 3's filesize was due to 1080p FMV sequences.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Mr. Crow posted:

Haha what? It's the definition of an RPG, "RPG" does not mean "D&D only" nerd :engleft:

My point was that most people, when they ask for an RPG, are not looking for action RPGs like Dark Souls. They're pretty much a different genre.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

That's like saying most people, when they ask for a racing game, aren't looking for Burnout and thus it is not a racing game. You're wrong either way. And assuming a lot of what most people think, might I add. :v:

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Rufio posted:

How is Chronicles of Mystaria? I see that its co-op but is it also fun to play solo?

Yes, it is. It's a port of an arcade game so expect really fast gameplay like in Metal Slug for example. It's a good CPS-era beat'em up, not as great as Aliens vs Predator or Punisher but still really good. It even has some basic RPG elements.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Mr. Crow posted:

:engleft: actually an rpg is better defined by the separation between character and player skill. You the player can beat the game at level 1 with bare fists because player skill/dexterity greatly trumps character skill. Even with massive input into your characters skills, the game still revolves around the players dexterity. Games like baldurs gate or even JRPGs place character skill much higher, because you are playing the role of the character. The characters skills determine how well you perform in game.

I'd say dark souls is closer to a puzzle game than an RPG.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Dark Souls was only ok imho

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
When you think about it, you're playing a role in all games.

Play Divinity 2: Developer's Cut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlMfX5oii5M

Actual ingame scene.

rargphlam
Dec 16, 2008
Dark Souls is a visual novel, because of my lacking and ignorant perspective of Japan, they appear to only make visual novels.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I got my Ma a shiny new laptop for her birthday, so I'm looking for a list of good easy hidden object games and point & click things. I have no experience in these games so I'm at a loss.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ddraig posted:

When you think about it, you're playing a role in all games.

Play Divinity 2: Developer's Cut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlMfX5oii5M

Actual ingame scene.

This is good advice for smart people, fyi. Divinity is a good game.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Croccers posted:

I got my Ma a shiny new laptop for her birthday, so I'm looking for a list of good easy hidden object games and point & click things. I have no experience in these games so I'm at a loss.
:darksouls:, :xcom: and Sleeping Dogs
:v:
In before these suggestions

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Mortimer posted:

:engleft: actually an rpg is better defined by the separation between character and player skill. You the player can beat the game at level 1 with bare fists because player skill/dexterity greatly trumps character skill. Even with massive input into your characters skills, the game still revolves around the players dexterity. Games like baldurs gate or even JRPGs place character skill much higher, because you are playing the role of the character. The characters skills determine how well you perform in game.

I'd say dark souls is closer to a puzzle game than an RPG.

Wiki posted:

A role-playing video game (commonly referred to as role-playing game or RPG, as well as computer RPG or CRPG) is a video game genre where the player controls the actions of a protagonist (or several adventuring party members) immersed in a fictional world.

So basically every game ever made is an RPG. Makes u think...

Sir Liquid Jerk
Aug 10, 2002
I have Ham Armor +5!

Croccers posted:

http://www.bigfishgames.com/download-games/genres/15/hidden-object.html

I get my mom these, always go for the 'collectors editions' which have some crap like concept art and music that my mom obviously doesn't care about but these versions include a walkthrough built into the game that helps her from getting frustrated at any point she gets stuck.

Peggle and Zuma are also a good bet.

Steam doesn't seem to have a good library of hidden object games, I guess the 70 year old female isn't a big demographic for them.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Manatee Cannon posted:

This is good advice for smart people, fyi. Divinity is a good game.

It's got a little bit of that low budget jank when it comes to combat but the game is just so bloody charming it doesn't matter. Any game that has an incredibly blatant Terminator reference and lets you fight medieval power rangers is a winner.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Croccers posted:

Hidden object games: Drawn: The Painted Tower is good, although it's more on the puzzley side than the hidden object scene with 20 things to find side of the genre. One of the better hidden object developers is Artifex, and while I can't vouch for all their stuff, they're generally fairly well reviewed - I've played their nightmares from the deep games and they're pretty good. I've also heard good things about the Midnight Mysteries series, also on steam. They're sitting on my wishlist waiting for a sale though, so I can't give a proper answer on their quality.

Big Fish games, recommended a couple of posts up, has a hell of a lot of them although I'm pretty sure they still require their own client, and they seem to have a fairly variable quality. If you're not set on using steam or drm free things, that's probably the best place to look.

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Sep 12, 2014

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Mokinokaro posted:

My point was that most people, when they ask for an RPG, are not looking for action RPGs like Dark Souls.

The RPG genre is very broad. Even within what you would probably consider an RPG, Fallout 3 and Diablo 3 are worlds apart. Do you want Diablo clone? Third person action RPG? Or FPS with RPG elements like Deus Ex? If someone doesn't specify it :shrug:

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Wow I bought crash time 2 cause hey its a $1 open world such driving game.

If you want to hear some of the world's worst voice acting pick it up. It's like they just grabbed r random people walking down the street to do it.

Are the other games in the series just as bad?

Erika
Feb 6, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mokinokaro posted:

My point was that most people, when they ask for an RPG, are not looking for action RPGs like Dark Souls. They're pretty much a different genre.

How would you know? If they just ask for an RPG, then they're being vague and needs to be more specific. Like the guy said, it's a broad genre.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Croccers posted:

Anything by Wadjet Eye is great for story-driven point-and-click adventures. Specific recommendations for Primordia and Resonance as they're personal faves. Here's a quick shortlist off the top of my head for some good adventure games on Steam.

The Longest Journey (though there's maybe one or two moon logic puzzles, it's a good long game and a classic)

The Special Editions of Monkey Island 1 and 2.

Syberia 1&2

Most of the Telltale Games catalogue. The Sam And Max games start off decent and improve with each subsequent episode and season, and the Wallace and Gromit games are nice simple fun if she's a fan of the series. Peter Sallis doesn't provide Wallace's voice, but the sound-alike they got is pretty drat close.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Wallace and Gromit was sadly removed from Steam last year or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Croccers posted:

Can't go wrong with this bundle.

http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/arctic-bundle/

$2.49 for Syberia, Syberia 2, Scratches, Nikopol, Post Mortem, Still Life and Still Life 2

• Locked thread