Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

Dr Scoofles posted:

If anybody is interested Philip Sugden wrote a great book on Jack the Ripper called The Complete History of Jack the Ripper. It's good because he doesn't have a pet theory and he is deeply suspicious of anybody who does. He also works directly with the primary sources (something hardly anybody cares to bother with any more) and directly addresses the myths peddled by so many respected 'Ripperologists'. It's amazing to discover how many people have written books on Jack the Ripper without even once reading the primary source materials, you would think that was the first place to start.

I'm seconding this. I bought this book from Amazon years ago after looking into buying a different book on him. The reviews for that book were critical and listed Sugden's book as a far better alternate. He describes each case in detail, along with any eye witness accounts and leads that were pursued. He also goes into the histories of the victims, telling where they were born, what their family and life was like, and how the came to be in Whitechapel, which I think does a better job of humanizing them than just listing their name and what happened to them, something I don't recall seeing in anything else I'd read on the subject.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Ol%27_Boys_Roundup

From 1980 until 1996.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Slanderer posted:

Serial killers are the picture of mental health, actually!!!

Here on earth, serial killers do not commit the majority of crimes. So, yes, someone with mental illness is statistically less likely to commit a crime. You're more likely to be killed in a road rage incident than by a serial killer, you're more likely to die on the way to the airport than on the plane, etc etc

BUTT PIPE
Oct 11, 2012

nocal posted:

Immigrants and people with mental illness are statistically less likely to commit crimes. But keep on fuckin that chicken.

It was my first post about the topic, but yeah, if the alternative is willful disbelief that they are capable of committing famous historical crimes, I will gently caress that chicken until you start seeing my face sunny side up with your morning bacon.

You don't believe DNA testing is accurate if it disagrees with a politically comfortable position; am I really supposed to believe you're big on statistics?

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Please do not gently caress poultry in my threat. Unless there's a Wikipedia article on said subject.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

BUTT PIPE posted:

It was my first post about the topic, but yeah, if the alternative is willful disbelief that they are capable of committing famous historical crimes, I will gently caress that chicken until you start seeing my face sunny side up with your morning bacon.

You don't believe DNA testing is accurate if it disagrees with a politically comfortable position; am I really supposed to believe you're big on statistics?

My position is not "politically comfortable," it's accurate. Crime is most often intraracial. I never said that I don't believe that DNA testing is accurate -- though in fact, "DNA testing" is on a spectrum, and can lead to a lesser or greater percentage of certainty of a match due to myriad factors. And the Daily Mail is well known as a gossip rag.

Which brings me to a completely, entirely unrelated phenomenon: pareidolia, wherein a "crazy" person sees patterns where none exist.

nocal has a new favorite as of 06:36 on Sep 11, 2014

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

It says something that a bunch of militia types and the moonie times were the ones to report on it.

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008

BUTT PIPE posted:

I would like to see this.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Here's one that's probably been in the thread before, but is pretty terrifying: folie a deux, which translates to "madness of two." The concept being a type of contagious insanity.

The most famous example is not only modern, but was captured on camera while filming a Cops-style show in England. Here is a 45 minute video about it.

nocal has a new favorite as of 06:40 on Sep 11, 2014

BUTT PIPE
Oct 11, 2012

nocal posted:

My position is not "politically comfortable," it's accurate. Crime is most often intraracial. I never said that I don't believe that DNA testing is accurate -- though in fact, "DNA testing" is on a spectrum, and can lead to a lesser or greater percentage of certainty of a match due to myriad factors. And the Daily Mail is well known as a gossip rag.

Which brings me to a completely, entirely unrelated phenomenon: pareidolia, wherein a "crazy" person sees patterns where none exist.

Is paredolia adversely related to reading comprehension? A Pole stabbing Englishwomen to death in a London backalley sounds like an intraracial crime to me. Maybe having your hot button, completely modern-day issue triggered by Jack the Ripper caused you to see a pattern wherein I said 'nonwhite people commit all the crimes, vote UKIP' instead of 'your only reason for objecting to that dude being the suspect is due to your private axe to grind'

I am an immigrant as well, so it's good to know I will probably never commit a murder and should be excluded from the suspect roster in all future or pending cases.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Guys, maybe those women committed suicide? Anyone followed up on this?

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

BUTT PIPE posted:

Is paredolia adversely related to reading comprehension? A Pole stabbing Englishwomen to death in a London backalley sounds like an intraracial crime to me. Maybe having your hot button, completely modern-day issue triggered by Jack the Ripper caused you to see a pattern wherein I said 'nonwhite people commit all the crimes, vote UKIP' instead of 'your only reason for objecting to that dude being the suspect is due to your private axe to grind'

I am an immigrant as well, so it's good to know I will probably never commit a murder and should be excluded from the suspect roster in all future or pending cases.

Listen up, fucker. The jews are not he men to be blamed for nothing.

Junius
May 14, 2006

Thank you, entertainment committee.

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

Listen up, fucker. The Juwes are not he men to be blamed for nothing.

FTFY

:goonsay:

Szechuan
Mar 3, 2008

BUTT PIPE posted:

Intra-racial refers to crimes within the same racial group. You're thinking inter-racial.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

Listen up, fucker. The jews are not he men to be blamed for nothing.

Somebody delete this post, we don't want to have a bloody riot on our hands!

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

please post all your favorite mummies.

The Tollund Man.

The Tollund Man is the naturally mummified corpse of a man who lived during the 4th century BCE, during the period characterised in Scandinavia as the Pre-Roman Iron Age.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tollund_Man

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bog_body

For these people, the bogs held some sort of liminal significance, and indeed, they placed into them votive offerings intended for the Other world, often of neck-rings, wristlets or ankle-rings made of bronze or more rarely gold. The archaeologist P.V. Glob believed that these were "offerings to the gods of fertility and good fortune",.[17] It is therefore widely speculated that the Iron Age bog bodies were thrown into the bog for similar reasons, and that they were therefore examples of human sacrifice to the gods. :black101:

Molentik has a new favorite as of 13:51 on Sep 11, 2014

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Man he still has stubble :stare:

He looks like a modern man.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

Man he still has stubble :stare:

He looks like a modern man.

Until you go 100s of thousands of years into the past people all sort of look the same. Now here comes an anthropologist to tell me just how wrong I am.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I know but it's still pretty eerie.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

nocal posted:

Here's one that's probably been in the thread before, but is pretty terrifying: folie a deux, which translates to "madness of two." The concept being a type of contagious insanity.

The most famous example is not only modern, but

still at large: Randy Quaid and his wife

The Star Whackers

(Although IMHO the wife is a gold digger who made up the whole conspiracy to make Quaid paranoid and estranged from others)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The fact that Jack the Ripper knew the police patrol patterns in that area doesn't mean he was some suave Ted Bundy type, and it doesn't mean he couldn't have been mentally ill, or a Jewish immigrant. There were a ton of Jewish immigrants in Whitechapel at that time and a guy like Kosminski would have blended in with all the rest. Its one reason he wasn't arrested or charged, because there were a ton of similar immigrants in the area and even some of them had names almost identical to Kosminski.

The attacks were brutal and frenzied, overkill to the extreme. The double murder in Mitre Squre demonstrates that this was a guy who wasn't really all that focused on not getting caught. He didn't get what he wanted/needed from the first one, so even though police were alerted and the smart thing to do would be to leave the area, he instead felt compelled to find another victim ASAP.

If the facts of that report do end up checking out, I think it goes a pretty long way towards closing the book on the Ripper. Its just too much of a coincidence for me that the clothes a victim was murdered in have DNA from one of the top-5 suspects in the case. There were plenty of prostitutes in Whitechapel, and plenty of guys patronizing them. For this one specific guy's DNA to be found on this one specific prostitutes shawl is pretty conclusive in my mind.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Jesus, guys, shut up about Jack already. gently caress.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Until you go 100s of thousands of years into the past people all sort of look the same. Now here comes an anthropologist to tell me just how wrong I am.

Almost 200,000 years or so. Not to say people have always looked exactly the same as they do now - like early on, skeletal features would be more robust and a mix of modern/archaic (like big brows, but a rounded braincase, not so prognathic, etc.) But anatomically modern humans haven't changed too drastically all things considered. And at least some of the more recent differences like height could be traced to environmental stuff like better nutrition, medical care and not having to so as much hard physical labor day to day.

In short I'm saying you're basically correct when it comes to something as relatively recent as Tollund Man. But I'm not technically an anthropologist, it was just my undergrad major. :shrug:

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Oh hey, Dick! How's life.

Hey, folks, let's effort-post about volcanoes. No, let's effort-post about supervolcanoes.

That's right, one word - coined in 1925 to describe the really, really bad volcanoes. Ones that peg a 7 or an 8 on the Volcanic Explosivity Index.

A VEI of 0 is a 'Hawaiian' sort of eruption. More of a gentle ooze, calm flows. Good times. Mount Erebus in Antartica is a good example. (Erebus Bonus: it's goddang cold there, which makes it a good place to study volcanic vents right up close! Free heat.) VEI 0's are also always happening, just another Tuesday for Mr. Joe Volcano.

Vesuvius of 79 AD and Mt. St. Helens of 1980 would be a VEI of 5. These volcanoes are better known for 'showering surrounding area with meters-deep ash' and 'blowing the loving top right off the loving mountain'. A 5. Out of a scale of 8.

Krakatoa is a fun word. To compare, 'Helens' triggered my spellchecker, but not Krakatoa. We don't gently caress with Krakatoa, is why. Its final eruption of 1883 sent out a pressure wave at roughly 1,086 km/h (675 mph). It ruptured the eardrums of sailors many many miles away, and worldwide barographic recordings show that the shock wave from the final explosion reverberated around the globe 7 times in total. Speaking of worldwide fun:

Wikipedia: Global optical effects posted:

The eruption darkened the sky worldwide for years afterwards, and produced spectacular sunsets throughout the world for many months.
British artist William Ashcroft made thousands of colour sketches of the red sunsets half way around the world from Krakatoa in the years after the eruption.

The ash caused "such vivid red sunsets that fire engines were called out in New York, Poughkeepsie, and New Haven to quench the apparent conflagration."[15] This eruption also produced a Bishop's Ring around the sun by day, and a volcanic purple light at twilight.

In 2004, an astronomer proposed the idea that the blood red sky shown in Edvard Munch's famous 1893 painting The Scream is also an accurate depiction of the sky over Norway after the eruption.[16]

Weather watchers of the time tracked and mapped the effects on the sky. They labeled the phenomenon the "equatorial smoke stream".[17] This was the first identification of what is known today as the jet stream.[18]

For several years following the eruption it was reported that the moon appeared to be blue and sometimes green. Blue moons resulted because some of the ash clouds were filled with particles about 1 µm wide—the right size to strongly scatter red light, while allowing other colors to pass. White moonbeams shining through the clouds emerged blue, and sometimes green. People also saw lavender suns and, for the first time, noctilucent clouds.[15]

So yeah. That's just a VEI 6. Just a volcano. Worthy enough to kill Pliny's dad many times over, but not supervolcano-over.

So what constitutes a "supervolcano"? What pegs an 8? Well, the good news is it doesn't happen often - once every 10,000 years. That's good, except the last recorded supervolcano occurred around 26,500 years ago, in New Zealand. We're overdue.

Another supervolcano of yore was the one that formed the Yellowstone Caldera back around 640,000 BC. A caldera is going the other way than you might imagine a volcano ominously growing tall out of the earth - the eruption that formed Yellowstone was so powerful and fast it briefly emptied itself of magma and collapsed to form that giant bowl poo poo. The entire area is still a hotbed of activity, which is why there's so many goddamn geysers. Also hot springs that will boil the flesh off your bones.

So in conclusion, supervolcanoes are unnerving as gently caress to me, and should take priority over posts about dead serial killers.

Thank you.

Edit: to put it perspective, this represents the volume of poo poo a volcano has to put out to earn its VEI:

Yellowstone Caldera is not depicted, but you get the idea. It's ten times as large as the largest circle on the gif. :sax:

Literally Kermit has a new favorite as of 18:30 on Sep 11, 2014

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
^^^^ This entire post. I wish I could give it an individual rating of 5.

Thanks Kermit, but drat will I sleep uneasily waiting for a geyser to blow up beneath my bed.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

If Yellowstone erupted are we looking at the equivalent of global nuclear winter for a couple of years?

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

kinmik posted:

^^^^ This entire post. I wish I could give it an individual rating of 5.

Thanks Kermit, but drat will I sleep uneasily waiting for a geyser to blow up beneath my bed.

Oh don't worry! You're more likely to choke to death on the ash drifting down upon your house and home.

quote:

The people and buildings of Pompeii were covered in up to twelve different layers of tephra, in total 25 meters deep, which rained down for about 6 hours.

Interestingly, many of the bodies discovered in Pompii (or the ash-casts of which) seemed to be wearing warmer clothes then expected in August, when the eruption happened. There were also signs that merchants were covering up wine jars, etc, something they wouldn't normally do until October. No one knows why, presumably it was a cold summer.

In fact, they probably prayed to Vulcanalia for a little warmer weather. Vulcanalia, or Vulcan, was the Roman god of Fire, and his festival was the day before Vesuvius erupted. He was also the god of volcanoes. :unsmigghh:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

If Yellowstone erupted are we looking at the equivalent of global nuclear winter for a couple of years?

Pretty much. It would be the end of civilization basically.

Although people actually responsible for studying the caldera aren't expecting any eruption:

Wikipedia posted:

The U.S. Geological Survey, University of Utah and National Park Service scientists with the Yellowstone Volcano Observatory maintain that they "see no evidence that another such cataclysmic eruption will occur at Yellowstone in the foreseeable future. Recurrence intervals of these events are neither regular nor predictable."[14] This conclusion was reiterated in December 2013 in the aftermath of the publication of a study by University of Utah scientists finding that the "size of the magma body beneath Yellowstone is significantly larger than had been thought." The Yellowstone Volcano Observatory issued a statement on its website stating,

Although fascinating, the new findings do not imply increased geologic hazards at Yellowstone, and certainly do not increase the chances of a 'supereruption' in the near future. Contrary to some media reports, Yellowstone is not 'overdue' for a supereruption.[33]

1stGear has a new favorite as of 19:02 on Sep 11, 2014

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Coincidentally, the first time I learned what the word "asphyxiation" meant was when I was reading an old National Geographic article on the Mt. St. Helens eruption. I believe it was the January 1981 issue, and one picture showed a solitary, derelict old car covered in ash. The accompanying caption read something along the lines of "...two people were later found huddled in this car, asphyxiated to death."

An excerpt from said article

quote:

“Vancouver! Vancouver! This is it. . . .” With those words—tinged with excitement rather than panic, hearers said—David Johnston, geologist for the United States Geological Survey, announced the end of calm and the start of cataclysm. Thirty-year-old blond-bearded David was stationed at a USGS camp called Coldwater II, six miles from the mountaintop, to monitor eruptions.

Those words were his last. The eruption he reported was powerful and unexpectedly lateral. Much of the initial blast was nozzled horizontally, fanning out northwest and northeast, its hurricane wave of scalding gases and fire-hot debris traveling at 200 miles an hour. Its force catapulted the geologist and the house trailer that sheltered him off a high ridge and into space above Coldwater Creek. His body has yet to be found.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Kimmalah posted:

Almost 200,000 years or so. Not to say people have always looked exactly the same as they do now - like early on, skeletal features would be more robust and a mix of modern/archaic (like big brows, but a rounded braincase, not so prognathic, etc.) But anatomically modern humans haven't changed too drastically all things considered. And at least some of the more recent differences like height could be traced to environmental stuff like better nutrition, medical care and not having to so as much hard physical labor day to day.

In short I'm saying you're basically correct when it comes to something as relatively recent as Tollund Man. But I'm not technically an anthropologist, it was just my undergrad major. :shrug:

As recently as 40,000 years ago you had Neanderthals, Denisovans, and Homo floresiensis (the "hobbit" people) co-existing on earth with us modern humans. Homo erectus was still around 140,000 years ago.

And then there's the mysterious Red Deer Cave people of China who were still around 14,000 years ago. Debate continues on how much interaction (and interbreeding) occurred between modern humans and these different humans, but they definitely would have looked a lot different. To go back to the original comment:

quote:

It really depends on how you define people.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

benito posted:

As recently as 40,000 years ago you had Neanderthals, Denisovans, and Homo floresiensis (the "hobbit" people) co-existing on earth with us modern humans. Homo erectus was still around 140,000 years ago.

And then there's the mysterious Red Deer Cave people of China who were still around 14,000 years ago. Debate continues on how much interaction (and interbreeding) occurred between modern humans and these different humans, but they definitely would have looked a lot different. To go back to the original comment:

I had never heard of the Red Deer Cave people. Thank you for that! And I was just thinking of homo sapiens, but your point is a good one. A fairly large part of me hopes a small pocket of distant ancestors of ours is still kicking around in some incredibly remote part of the world.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

benito posted:

To me, the eeriest thing about studying the DNA of early humans is that Denisovians and some modern Africans have genes from at least one unknown human species that split from the others 700,000 years ago and encountered them again 50,000 years ago. The only evidence remaining of an entire species of ancient humans is a some genes we just learned how to see. That's nuts--sublime.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

benito posted:

You know, the good ones. Not like those types from the wrong side of the Olduvai gorge.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

DicktheCat posted:

Jesus, guys, shut up about Jack already. gently caress.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_the_Giant_Killer_(1962_film)

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

benito posted:

Yeah, that's why I was sticking with the more specific "anatomically modern human" thing in my last post. Because even homo sapiens had another subspecies running around for a little while (which is why we've gotten the great name "sapiens sapiens" :v: ).

But by the time you get to Tollund Man most of those are gone, except maybe for floresiensis which allegedly might have hung around until the 16th or 19th century depending on what you believe.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
With regards to Tollund Man, bodies aren't the only things that have been found preserved in bogs.

This is the Fadden Moore Psalter (book of Psalms), and it was written around 800 CE. In 2006, a guy using a bulldozer to harvest peat discovered it. Luckily, he realized how important his find was and covered it back up with damp soil to keep it safe for the archaeologists. It has a lining of Egyptian papyrus and is one of the oldest Western books to still be bound in their original form.

Now how many similar artifacts do you suppose have been destroyed or lost throughout the ages?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Now how many similar artifacts do you suppose have been destroyed or lost throughout the ages?

I don't know about books, but there are records of people finding bog bodies in peat since at least the 17th century and probably further back than that. But usually they were given a regular burial so I'd assume they're pretty much lost by now. I've also heard of lot of them being accidentally damaged either by the people who found them or by bad attempts at preserving them outside the bog.

Speaking of, ancient mummies used to be ground up for medicine and fertilizer so there's no telling how many of those have been lost.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
When of those ancient habitable sites, with the remains of multiple human species, was discovered in China, an anthropologist offered the locals cash for each bone fragment. He realized the flaw in his plan when he noticed that the locals were using hammers to break the fragments they found into more fragments.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Molentik posted:

For these people, the bogs held some sort of liminal significance, and indeed, they placed into them votive offerings intended for the Other world, often of neck-rings, wristlets or ankle-rings made of bronze or more rarely gold. The archaeologist P.V. Glob believed that these were "offerings to the gods of fertility and good fortune",.[17] It is therefore widely speculated that the Iron Age bog bodies were thrown into the bog for similar reasons, and that they were therefore examples of human sacrifice to the gods. :black101:
Tollund Man has a rope around his neck, and most of the other bog bodies bear marks of strangulation/throat-cutting/&c but no defense wounds, so yeah. It's not just that they're bodies in the bog, it's that they're murdered (and in some cases apparently ritually murdered, with special diets and haircuts and so on) bodies in the bog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Tollund Man has a rope around his neck, and most of the other bog bodies bear marks of strangulation/throat-cutting/&c but no defense wounds, so yeah. It's not just that they're bodies in the bog, it's that they're murdered (and in some cases apparently ritually murdered, with special diets and haircuts and so on) bodies in the bog.

I remember when the National Geographic article came out with the bog people and featured this photo of the Tollund Man. I was already having nightmares from the pictures, but part of the text mentioned that the contents of one of the victim's stomach prominently featured burned bread. And as I sat there at Sunday dinner, with Mom having burned another batch of rolls... If I died right then, would that be my legacy if I were somehow dug up centuries later? "Here lies a boy, his last meal was dried out pork chops and burned dinner rolls. Perhaps there was a ritual significance."

Nat Geo used to inspire a lot of curiosity/fear, including crazy things like kids in Siberia getting an ultraviolet bath to stimulate Vitamin D production. More nightmare fuel!