Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

I did not like it. It's both pretty linear and it felt tiny.
:rimshot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Minish Cap is a great lesson in doing less with more--and the really only big complaint I'd have with it is that it has some fairly weak boss battles. The shrinking mechanic is really excellently implemented, and encourages you to look deeper into various locations to find new secrets. Much like how Clock Town in Majora's Mask is just thick with tons of side-events and secrets, teh town in Minish Cap is similarly multi-layered. The collect-a-thon matching game is a bit weird, but I kind of like that it brings back some classic NPCs from previous Zelda games and the townsfolk are all sort of unique and cool. It only has four dungeons, but there's a lot of exploration between them all, and the game really opens up between the second and third dungeon.

Plus I really like the tools you get, all of the items in teh game tie directly into your means of exploring--a mechanic for digging, a mechanic for clearing obstacles, and so on. I can't really think of an item you get that's particularly useless or doesn't get a number of different applications.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Minish Cap is good but I think Seasons and Ages (which are also on sale) are better.

Edit: though of course those aren't playable on the Wii-U

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 11, 2014

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

flare posted:

Is Zelda: Minish Cap any good? I've played link to the past.

New sales up http://www.nintendo.com/eshop/offers

drat it! I have been waiting to get Mega Man 2, and I thought "Surely they will have Mega Man 2 on next week's deal". I never even thought that they would do 3DS instead of Wii U.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

flare posted:

Well I'm convinced, purchased.

Joke's on you, Minish Cap sucks.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Kaubocks posted:

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man. :colbert:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Fremry posted:

drat it! I have been waiting to get Mega Man 2, and I thought "Surely they will have Mega Man 2 on next week's deal". I never even thought that they would do 3DS instead of Wii U.

What the gently caress, the WiiU version isn't on sale at all???????????

loving Nintendo of America sucks!!!

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Yeah, NoA's handling of the eShop really grinds my gears at times. I guess we tend to get better prices in general, but the PAL eShop's got cool deals left and right.

Kaubocks posted:

Don't listen to Kaubocks, dude's prejudiced against games with tiny characters.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Minish Cap is fine. It's pretty much exactly what you'd expect out of a GBA game length and linearity wise.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Bear in mind that the PAL version has some glitches that keeps you from getting 100% completion, and NOE didn't fix it for the VC version (or just give us the NA version).

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Kaubocks posted:

Spoken like a man who hates Pikmin. :patriot:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

GAMES WITH TINY CHARACTERS SUCK poo poo apparently I guess I mean I never really made that connection

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Seasons and Ages are most definitely superior. They're basically one giant Zelda game.

Also you can ride in the pouch of a boxing kangaroo. He can box so well that he punches tornadoes
If you don't think that that is the sickest poo poo ever, you're a dirty liar.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Nahxela posted:

Seasons and Ages are most definitely superior. They're basically one giant Zelda game.

Also you can ride in the pouch of a boxing kangaroo. He can box so well that he punches tornadoes
If you don't think that that is the sickest poo poo ever, you're a dirty liar.

Moosh is better.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
Seeing 3DS games when on the eshop via Wii U really depresses me. I so badly wish I could buy them and get points in the DDP.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

mabels big day posted:

Moosh is better.
Moosh is trash.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
gently caress all y'all, we all know Dimitri is the One True Companion™.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Dmitri is cool because he eats everything, including those flower jerks.

You can also throw Dmitri at things.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

mabels big day posted:

Moosh is better.

This dude gets it

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Moosh looks like he can give some bomb rear end hugs and that's the only thing that should matter to the Cute Games Megathread.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

minish cap kinda blows yeah. half of the side quests in the main town are blocked until you beat two or three of the four main dungeons. what the heck is that about

also the overworld is really weak. game's kinda bad

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Fremry posted:

drat it! I have been waiting to get Mega Man 2, and I thought "Surely they will have Mega Man 2 on next week's deal".

They'll probably do Mega Man 2 eventually. Please don't call the thread Shirley.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

romanowski posted:

minish cap kinda blows yeah. half of the side quests in the main town are blocked until you beat two or three of the four main dungeons. what the heck is that about
I dunno, a lot of the ideas present in the game are solid, and even though overworld traversal can sometimes be a pain in terms of where to go and just getting there, I think the dungeons are reasonably strong and some of them use the game's main mechanic incredibly well. That said, it's still as underdeveloped as most of the centerpiece "gimmicks" in Zelda games, so I can see how it would leave something to be desired. I'd argue that a smaller overall overworld that necessitated the Minish form to a greater degree would have probably worked out a lot better. You can't expect every central mechanic to be wall-merging, I guess.

Polo-Rican posted:

They'll probably do Mega Man 2 eventually. Please don't call the thread Shirley.

What better name for the Cute Thread for Cute Games for Cute Gamers than Shirley?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

lokipunk posted:

So, I decided to finally pick up a WiiU before I spent all of my leftover from vacation cash on dumb poo poo like groceries. I ordered a refurb on Monday night and it still says "order processing" on the site. I even payed out for the extra overnight shipping because I wanted to make sure it arrived by Friday. Anyone have any experience like this? I assume I just need to call up nintendo service with my order number but hours at work are going to prevent me from that until tonight at least.

So you ordered on Monday, paid for overnight shipping and it's now going to be Friday and still not there? Yea I would definitely call and at the very least have them refund your shipping, Nintendo customer service is pretty good for the most part so maybe they will do something extra on top.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I did two day shipping from Nintendo and got my refurb console in a similar amount of time. Ordered it on a thursday and it arrived here yesterday.

Because I mistimed my gamefly queue, I don't have any games for the WiiU outside of the packed-in Nintendo Land.

But guys? No one told me that the upscaling for Wii games looks loving fantastic. Threw in Galaxy 1 and was promptly blown away. I know its not technically HD but... drat, I now have a good reason to go digging back through my library.

And I'm borrowing a friend's copy of 3d land, so my 2DS is getting a healthy workout.

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames

Narcissus1916 posted:

I did two day shipping from Nintendo and got my refurb console in a similar amount of time. Ordered it on a thursday and it arrived here yesterday.

Because I mistimed my gamefly queue, I don't have any games for the WiiU outside of the packed-in Nintendo Land.

But guys? No one told me that the upscaling for Wii games looks loving fantastic. Threw in Galaxy 1 and was promptly blown away. I know its not technically HD but... drat, I now have a good reason to go digging back through my library.

And I'm borrowing a friend's copy of 3d land, so my 2DS is getting a healthy workout.

When you say the upscaling is great, is it an improvement on a Wii plugged into a HD TV via the fancy 5 pin cables?

I have to say, after all the doom and gloom a few months back, it does seem as though the Wii U has turned a corner.

Exioce fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Sep 12, 2014

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Just wait till smash bros drops.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Regardless of our opinions on Minish Cap (really quite good, the last boss especially), we can all agree that Link Between Worlds is loving amazing and also tits.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
My only major criticism of Minish Cap was that the art direction didn't have much cohesion imho. Felt too much like a mishmash of elements plucked from other Zelda games instead of creating an overarching design theme. Otherwise, I think it's a great game if you enjoy 2D Zelda games.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Exioce posted:

When you say the upscaling is great, is it an improvement on a Wii plugged into a HD TV via the fancy 5 pin cables?

I have to say, after all the doom and gloom a few months back, it does seem as though the Wii U has turned a corner.

A lot of the first party games end up looking just fine, but it's no Wind Waker HD. The few third party games I've tried (Resident Evil 4 comes to mind) end up looking like complete rear end.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Exioce posted:

I feel like I posted this quite a few times already, but:

There is no difference in the picture being rendered by the game. There is one difference though, which is the device that does the upscaling.

On the Wii, the console outputs a 480p picture (assuming you're using Component cables, which you should) to your TV, which then upscales it to your TV's native resolution (probably 1080p).

On the WiiU, the game gives the rendered 480p picture to the console, the console upscales it to the resolution you specified in the settings (probably 1080p), then outputs the upscaled picture to your TV to display.

So it depends mostly on your TV's scaler.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Treehouse @ Treehouse stream starting in ten minutes!

You can find it here: http://www.twitch.tv/nintendo

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I expect frequent Treehouse updates between both this and the 3DS thread because I'm at work and can't watch it. :argh:

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
http://www.twitch.tv/nintendo

Stream's live!

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Kaubocks posted:

I expect frequent Treehouse updates between both this and the 3DS thread because I'm at work and can't watch it. :argh:

They are showing the absolutely awesome and exciting grey and beige conference room that they will be streaming from!

Edit: THERE'S A WHITEBOARD!!!!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Kaubocks posted:

Yeah, seconded...especially for Smash news. I mean, I know the full roster is known...but I really hope they release the demo in America today.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
They are starting with Captain Toad and said they will be cutting away from the stream occasionally (between levels) because there are still things they want to keep secret/announce later.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Angry Birds in Captain Toad :v:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

2 token 'hot chicks' ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

jivjov posted:

Yeah, seconded...especially for Smash news. I mean, I know the full roster is known...but I really hope they release the demo in America today.

If you're a Platinum Member of Club Nintendo, sure!

Otherwise, week.

• Locked thread