Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Was it really necessary to reprint Erase, Shatter, AND Naturalize all in the same set?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Delve isn't gonna be played as "mill myself for 20 then cast a bunch of spells for free," it's going to be more incremental-- exiling cards as you go to play spells efficiently. Tormod's Crypt is dead against any deck that's not a dedicated delve deck with Sidisi, the Ascendancy, and other enablers, and against that deck it's a one-shot thing. If a delve deck ever has more than 7-8 cards in their yard they are probably either doing it wrong or about to use them all on a giant Empty the Pits or something.
You can Delve in response to a Crypt activation and get value; if you do things in the reverse order then the Delve player still gets value.
It's not a good counter card.

EDIT: A lot of people are judging Delve wrong (not accusing anyone specifically in this thread, it's something I've seen at my LGS). You should not assume you are going to either 1) delve for the maximum value or 2) not delve at all. Necropolis Fiend is very strong as a 4-drop. Murderous Cut is fine as a 2-drop. Hooting Mandrills is great as a 3-drop. Treasure Cruise is fine as a 4-drop. All of those require delving 3-4 cards.

My thought is that the self-mill deck is going to be playing Nighthowlers, Nemesis of Mortals and maybe an incidental Delve spell like Murderous Cut.

sarmhan posted:

There isn't a set one any more, you get one of 8 clan rares/the khan in your promo pack. They did this in response to the balance problems and warped environments having a guaranteed rare produced in the past (Journey into Nyx being the worst).

On the topic of brave the sands: You can't compare it to a creature because it doesn't attack or block. You can't compare it to a 2-drop because playing it on turn 2 doesn't help you get tempo at all. So it's replacing some late game spell, and then I can't think of one I'd cut for this literally ever. Again this is one of the deepest sets we've seen in a long time, you will not be hurting for playables. Even the white piker has a huge upside.

If I have 7/8+ outlast guys I'm not looking for Brave the Sands, instead I'm looking for tricks to 'cheat' the cost.

This isn't including the king of outlast enablers, incremental growth.

The Abzan mechanic seems to be "+1/+1 counters matter," not really outlast. Outlast is just what you do if you can't "turn" on your "counters matters" guys. In Constructed, I don't think any of the Outlast guys would get used even in a deck that's looking to use the "counters matter" mechanic.

Seems like best enabler of that mechanic is Ajani Steadfast or Ajani, Mentor of Heroes.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 12, 2014

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Cool artwork.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

sarmhan posted:

Seems to me that the king of outlast enablers is clearly Ajani, Mentor of Heroes

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

AnacondaHL posted:

Was it really necessary to reprint Erase, Shatter, AND Naturalize all in the same set?

*shrug* When is the last time one (or more) of these cards warped a format? Shatter was a high pick in Mirrodin draft cause it was Terror with the upside of killing equipment, but a couple of one-for-ones isn't going to change the world. At least they didn't waste the slots on something worthless like Defensive Stance.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I was talking about limited, not constructed. Hence me focusing on commons and uncommons. I would note the counters matter guys are also the outlast guys, there's only a few that are exceptions to that rule (Herald, the stupid 0/4 and 2/5, High Sentinels).

Sarmhan fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 12, 2014

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Despite the complaints I have about large numbers of vanilla creatures, I am impressed at how few unplayable cards there are in the set at first glance. The fat boring vanilla guys can at least get played on curve turn 3, and even the underwhelming combat tricks do something. Shards of Alara had a very high number of completely unplayable cards, crap like Vectis Silencers and Turtle Formation Sunseed Nurturer, so by the end of the pack there was just nothing to take. This format seems slow as hell, there are a TON of walls and not a ton of ways to get through them.

Mardu and Abzan are going to be sniping cards off of each other, but I do like that each clan has a different pick order. The Outlast lords are very intentionally NOT Warriors, making them worse in Mardu for that reason and because they are slow. I'm pretty sure a good Mardu deck will be one that has some good raid but more importantly has good Warrior synergies, because it's going to be really loving hard to attack profitably in this set. The Warrior cards are still good in Abzan, which sucks for the Mardu drafter, but for Abzan the Outlast lords are a much higher pick because you want to get your entire team pumped up. The noncreature spells that just put +1/+1 counters on things will be a good pick for Mardu but a very high pick for Abzan.

Other clans have similar relationships going around the color pie. Delve enablers like Rakshasa's Secret, Taigam's Scheming, and Scout the Borders are still somewhat playable in Abzan or Temur, but they are actively good for Sultai and jump up the pick order accordingly. Delve cards will still be occasionally playable in Abzan or Temur, but you can only realistically expect to play one or two at most (probably the rare that digs 7 cards or the +6/+6 instant or Murderous Cut) and potentially have trouble casting it.

The real standout cards and high picks in the set are the ones that are good in 2 or three clans. Mardu Blazebringer is good in Mardu or Temur (it's probably better for Temur, oddly enough) Jeskai Elder is good in Jeskai or Sultai (and might be better in Sultai). Embodiment of Spring is as good in Sultai as it is in Temur. Seeker of the way is great in Jeskai or Mardu (since it's a Warrior), and is probably still good in Abzan. Smoke Teller looks great in Temur or Sultai, but the quality of cards in the set is so high I don't even know how many vanilla morph guys will even make the cut.

This analysis doesn't even take into account the tri-colored cards, which are, for the most part, all extremely powerful. I would take very strong ones highly (undercosted rare creatures, Ascendancies,Charms) but I think it will be important to read what is open rather than committing hard. So take a tricolor card early and hopefully you will get the synergies you need. The charms are all powerful, but they are all basically one for ones and it is easy to tell if your opponent has mana up for one. If you are lucky you will get 2 of your clan's charm in your deck, and hopefully you will have 1. But if your deck does not synergize well, a Charm will not save you against a well tuned deck of pretty much any clan. I feel this way about most of the tricolor cards: They are very powerful, but most won't win you the game by themselves, especially against a synergistic deck. There is enough removal and stall in the set that one big, probably nonevasive creature will rarely be enough. I wouldn't pick most tricolor commons and uncommons highly unless I am already in that clan. They are more of a reward you get for being in a particular clan.

The two-colored gold cards are mostly insane and are probably the high picks in the set. Taking a two-color card in Khans is like taking a Hybrid card in Shadowmoor: You are still open to two of your five options. So rares like Rakshasa Death Dealer, Sagu Mauler, Utter End, Ride Down (I know it is an uncommon, I think they mixed up the rarity of this and Deflecting Palm) are all easy first picks because they are relatively easy to play in more than one clan AND are extremely powerful.

Lets Pickle fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 12, 2014

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Also, I think the discrepancy in power levels between various morph creatures in going to be a very important part of playing games in Khans Limited. There are a lot of morphs, especially at rare, that are VERY powerful, either through an ability that triggers when the turn face-up by virtue of being, say, a 6/6 with Trample and Hexproof. But there are also 3/6 vanillas, and 5/2 vanillas, and 3/1s.

Your opponent plays a creature face down. Her biggest bomb may be sitting there, vulnerable, waiting for you to punch it savagely. But it might be what I will vaguely refer to as a low-impact creature, and you only have one removal spell. Why would she just run it out there to get killed? It must be a less powerful creature. Better not waste removal on it. But she knows that you would expect it to be a low-impact card and so she did play her big loving trampler! Now you're dead.

This is how I expect a lot of games of Khans to play out. The vanilla morphs look pretty good as bluffing tools, because there are a lot of them:
2 W commons (a 1/5 flier, a 3/6)
1 W uncommon (a 2/1 flier)
1 W rare (a 2/2 that gives your creatures +2/+2 until end of turn)

3 U commons (a 0/5 flier, a 3/2 unblockable, a 4/5)
2 U uncommons (a 0/6, a 3/1 flier that gives hexproof until end of turn
2 U rares (a 5/6 flier that bounces other tapped creatures, a 3/3 Spelljack)

2 B commons (a 5/3, a 1/4 lifelink)
1 B uncommon (a 1/1 deathtouch)
1 B rare (a 3/2 that draws a card when you creatures die)

2 R commons (a 5/2, a 3/3 first strike)
1 R uncommon (a 2/2 that deals controller 1 damage when it blocks)
1 R rare (a 2/1 Act of Treason)
1 R mythic (a 4/1 flier that comes back morphed)

3 G commons (a 1/1 regenerator, a 2/5 reach, a 6/7)
2 G uncommons (a 3/1, a 5/5 that untaps)
1 G rare (a 2/1 that taps for 3 colors)
1 G mythic (a 5/5 that makes snakes upon death)

1 UG uncommon (2/2 flier that bounces a dude)
1 UG rare (the aforementioned 6/6 Trample Hexproof)

1 BUG common (3/4 flier that loots when it deals combat damage to player)
1 GUR common (5/5 trample)
1 URW common (4/3 first strike that gives +3/+0 until end of turn)
1 RWB common (a 2/2 that makes 3 1/1s)
1 WBG common (a 4/4 lifelink)

That's 34 creatures in the set with Morph, some of which are super strong on board, some of which are only good when flipped face up, and some in between. Some are worth spending removal on, some are not really. There seems to be different types of morph creature:

1. Large creatures whose morph cost is used to get them out early (all the tricolor guys and big vanilla dudes)
2. Cheaper, on curve creatures with a more expensive morph cost that does something when they flip up (most of the rares)
3. Creatures that have a morph cost equal or much less than their mana cost, mostly as a way to be tricky (most of the green guys, Monastery flock, Grim Haruspex, the uncommon "reveal a card" cycle)

This means that if your opponent plays a morph guy and has a few mana up, whether or not to kill it is going to be a tough call. It might be a 0/5 or 0/6, so your removal might not even work! This may make Lens of Clarity actually playable.

Lets Pickle fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 12, 2014

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Ride Down is an absolutely bogus card just fyi. That thing is raunchy.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Ride Down is an absolutely bogus card just fyi. That thing is raunchy.

I can't tell if you are trying to say its good or its bad. Are you british or something?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I generally agree with you on picks- staying flexible is very valuable. The one of the best first picks in the set is probably ghostfire blade, since it's very powerful and leaves you open to literally anything. Anything powerful and monocolored is similarly really good. I don't see enough of a color discrepancy to ever want to force a color.
Ride down is amazing for both Jeskai and Mardu and is probably a 1st-3rd pick.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

AnacondaHL posted:

Shatter in particular seems eminently last-pickable. What are you even blowing up with it, one of those clan cluestones? That one Morph Golem creature?

e:

Oh hey, Alpha Tyrannax is back with an even goofier "I'm big you guys" name:

Entropic fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 12, 2014

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

Kurtofan posted:

Cool artwork.

I thought the same thing.

That white kirin could have really used some more ethereal artwork, though. At first glance it looks like something whipped up in Poser.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I hope this set drafts as good as it looks

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Elyv posted:

Can Tarkirites(Tarkirians?) not be inspired or something?
I know it's petty, but it grinds my gears when they waste a perfectly good name on a functional reprint.

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

Cool artwork.

We finally get to find out what the knife from Damping Field was for!

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

People who keep saying Delve needs more enablers don't really understand why delve is good. Delve doesn't really need significant self mill to be good, it just needs you to play other spells. Just don't have every card in your deck delve and you're fine.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Did we see this guy before?

'cause I want to first pick the hell out of him.

I love the flavor of this one. It's a crocodile pit attackers can fall into! And you can feed stuff to it!
I basically guarantee the playtest name was just "crocodile pit".

Entropic fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 12, 2014

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Bread Set Jettison posted:

People who keep saying Delve needs more enablers don't really understand why delve is good. Delve doesn't really need significant self mill to be good, it just needs you to play other spells. Just don't have every card in your deck delve and you're fine.

Yeah, Delve wants to be on 2-3 cards in just a regular deck, not as part of a dedicated DELVE.DEC.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Zorak posted:

I hope this set drafts as good as it looks
I don't think it is possible for the limited to be as good as the absolutely stellar art direction. This is the best looking set in forever.
I know that isn't what you mean but seriously, this set is just amazing looking

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I know it's petty, but it grinds my gears when they waste a perfectly good name on a functional reprint.
It bothers me too. They talk about how they worry about poo poo like this then just blow it. Either its a precious resource or it isn't.

It also sort of annoys me that if you're going to do a functional reprint you should theme it to the set. For example, do something like Flames of the Firebrand.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I think it can support more than 2-3 cards but yes the idea of MAXIMUM DELVING is probably not sustainable. Having conditional counter spells and removal and then when those don't work anymore use your graveyard to Murderous Cut a dude and still have mana open for counter responses.

E: It boils down to Outlast and Ferocious being about synergy between cards. Delve and Prowess are about getting value from other cards. Raid is value from aggression.

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 12, 2014

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

sarmhan posted:

There isn't a set one any more, you get one of 8 clan rares/the khan in your promo pack. They did this in response to the balance problems and warped environments having a guaranteed rare produced in the past (Journey into Nyx being the worst).

On the topic of brave the sands: You can't compare it to a creature because it doesn't attack or block. You can't compare it to a 2-drop because playing it on turn 2 doesn't help you get tempo at all. So it's replacing some late game spell, and then I can't think of one I'd cut for this literally ever. Again this is one of the deepest sets we've seen in a long time, you will not be hurting for playables. Even the white piker has a huge upside.

I wasn't saying I would pick Brave the Sands over any of those cards, or that I would play it over any of those cards. I said I would play it if it fits in the right deck, and it's silly to assume that there's always a card that will be better than it, both in pick order and in deck construction.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Sickening posted:

I can't tell if you are trying to say its good or its bad. Are you british or something?

It's very, very, very, very good.

edit: very

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Green is very literal in this set.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Entropic posted:

Green is very literal in this set.

That might as well say Get Big because that's all I'm going to say when I play it.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

BIG LARGE BEAR MAN BECOME IMMENSE NOW AND PUNCH SMALL DOG MAN

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Target creature gains Big until end of turn.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Also hilarious that become immense has a snake on it :pervert:

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

An interesting note on drafting this set is that since there are 5 clans and 8 people at a draft table, there should be 2 clans per table for which there is only one drafter. My advice is try to be one of those people. Everyone should be situated into a clan by the end of pack one, and the card quality is high enough in this set that seeing which cards wheel and which don't will actually give useful information.

Lets Pickle fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 12, 2014

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
I saw this joke, groaned, and had to share it.

quote:

A goblin walks into a bar. He sits down at the counter and immediately slumps over, dead. A knight, who was already sitting at the counter, gasps in shock, but eventually shrugs and ignores it. A saproling walks into the bar, sits down at the counter, and drops dead as well. By this point, the knight is pretty nervous. He tries to ignore it, but just then, a Kithkin sidles up to the counter, and before he can order his drink, falls over dead. The knight looks over at the bartender in shock. "What's happening here?" he asks, bewildered.

"Oh, that's a -1/-1 counter," replies the bartender.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

^^^^ owns

Entropic posted:

It's always kind of weird when they rename a functional reprint even though the original name would have worked just fine.
It's even worse because usually the new name is just as flexible, thus wasting two good names on the same card.

Zero_Grade fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Sep 12, 2014

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Zemyla posted:

awesome

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Lets Pickle posted:

An interesting note on drafting this set is that since there are 5 clans and 8 people at a draft table, there should be 2 clans per table for which there is only one drafter. My advice is try to be one of those people. Everyone should be situated into a clan by the end of pack one, and the card quality is high enough in this set that seeing which cards wheel and which don't will actually give useful information.

We'll have to wait to see how the environment pans out, but I don't know if there are enough incentives to go 3 color to assume that everyone will end up in a clan and not a 2 color deck.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
I want HUGE to become a keyword, with it having the meaning of +2/+2. That's it.

Excessive complexity, reduce everything, including "green" to a mechanic.

3G for a 1/2 with HUGE for example.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Lets not take jokes about dumb card names and make horrible cards out of them.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Elyv posted:

We'll have to wait to see how the environment pans out, but I don't know if there are enough incentives to go 3 color to assume that everyone will end up in a clan and not a 2 color deck.

If the fixing is good enough, there's no reason to stay 2-color because you can then just splash black for Thoughtseize. Contrary to my expectations, Wizards did absolutely nothing to hose Thoughtseize in this set. Its going to run rampant again.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

If the fixing is good enough, there's no reason to stay 2-color because you can then just splash black for Thoughtseize. Contrary to my expectations, Wizards did absolutely nothing to hose Thoughtseize in this set. Its going to run rampant again.

I was talking about draft, sorry if that was unclear.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Lets not make cards

the horrible goes without saying

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Elyv posted:

I was talking about draft, sorry if that was unclear.

In triple-KTK, it seems like a lot of the bomb-y spells are going to be three-colored. I agree that its not necessarily "right" to say "I am going three-color before I open Pack 1."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Zemyla posted:

gently caress

• Locked thread