Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tai
Mar 8, 2006
No slope mods in the download. It does have probably the best beach mod available. Has seawalls also and canals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anomalies
Mar 1, 2010

Tai posted:

As far as the on street bus station, yes it is RTMT. The only downside to it, is that its not considered a road connecter for painted zones for 1x1,1x2 and 1x3 tiles with the 1x being where it would touch the road.

Actually, as long as a street/road touches the lot in some way traffic can enter/leave the lot, even if the arrow on the lot points at a transit-enabled lot. I usually put the RTMT station on a road tile right next to an intersection, so any 1x2 lots can access the road parallel to them, and they'll develop just fine.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Tai posted:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0QVgeytQAimX2E5eEVsX25tZlk/edit?usp=sharing

Think thats a link to my plugin zip. Shows up for me anyway.

Sweet, thanks, gonna give this a try.

Tried to merge the other two packs, removing duplicates and DATpacking everything but (a fresh newly-downloaded) NAM- constant crashola.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I'd avoid left hand drive (UK roads) if you are using it. A lot of the transit mods haven't bothered to configure LHD and it will crash.

Also, if you are using right hand drive and crashing since using my plugin, make sure its software mode. My rig doesn't like hardware mode so some mods are SD.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
In regards to DAT packing, I downloaded the .exe for it but all those instructions make me nervous a bit. Can I just DAT pack everything or do I have to move everything around like it recommends? My plugin folder isn't exactly well organised and I'm also very lazy.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Tai posted:

No slope mods in the download. It does have probably the best beach mod available. Has seawalls also and canals.

Alright, cool on both counts, thanks for the reply dude.

e; Just fired it up and poked around and this might be my favorite megapack yet. It's got a shitload of cool stuff and just about every mod I like to pick up on a reinstall. You're alright, Tai.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 8, 2014

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Sweet, glad you are happy with it. Let me know if you find a dependency missing as I've not fully used every mod yet.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
Gah, I was going to put in some work on my region, but it appears my game has developed a severe case of random CTD :(. Why can't there be a decent city sim that isn't 10+ years old...

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

HappyHelmet posted:

Gah, I was going to put in some work on my region, but it appears my game has developed a severe case of random CTD :(. Why can't there be a decent city sim that isn't 10+ years old...

Yeah, it's pretty drat annoying working on a city with the game crashing all the time.

Let's hope Citybound or Cities: Skylines turn out to be great. :pray:

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

HappyHelmet posted:

You might already be doing this, but have you set the CPU affinity to a single core in the task manager? SC4 really doesn't like running on multicores.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Elukka posted:

You might already be doing this, but have you set the CPU affinity to a single core in the task manager? SC4 really doesn't like running on multicores.

Yeah it's all setup in "optimal" fashion. It's just SC 4 being SC 4 really. Sometimes it just likes to decide that it's pants making GBS threads time.

Edit: I double checked and turns out I was running on multiple cores. Back in business for now! I'll post some updates later.

HappyHelmet fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Sep 12, 2014

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
What's the SC4 community's consensus on CitiesXL Platinum? I don't have any time spent with the game hands on, but my brother was showing me around his poorly managed town recently and it looked pretty good.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
XL is better in my view without mods then SC4 but the mod community is huge and much bigger choice then XL. I found XL a bit static since it doesn't evolve as much as SC4. The simulation of SC4 is by far better.

It also needs a decent CPU/GPU for XL and ideally 8 GB of memory.

I prefer SC4 but only because of the depth of mods available.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Hey Tai, found some missing dependencies;

NHP ADC Peristyle Avenue Roundabout
NHP LGBT Memorial Park
NHP ADC Buckingham Fountain BSC Parks

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Thanks!

http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=1466

All files needed are here. Sorry, it's a devotion site it seems. This might be a file from OFv3 as I don't remember getting this mod.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

HappyHelmet posted:

Yeah it's all setup in "optimal" fashion. It's just SC 4 being SC 4 really. Sometimes it just likes to decide that it's pants making GBS threads time.

Edit: I double checked and turns out I was running on multiple cores. Back in business for now! I'll post some updates later.

Another crash cause that's often overlooked: Don't mouse over a transit enabled lot with a puzzle piece on your cursor. Instant CTD if you do.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
Anyone remember what that fix someone found for CTDs was? I used to have it, and it worked for the mouse over bug atleast. I remember it having something to do with a debug program or something that let the exe keep running instead of shutting itself down.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

zxqv8 posted:

Another crash cause that's often overlooked: Don't mouse over a transit enabled lot with a puzzle piece on your cursor. Instant CTD if you do.

I purposely don't use any puzzle pieces in my cities for this reason. Well that and it saps all the fun out of the game when you spend hours working on just a single plot of land.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

HappyHelmet posted:

I purposely don't use any puzzle pieces in my cities for this reason. Well that and it saps all the fun out of the game when you spend hours working on just a single plot of land.

I agree with you fully, it became so much of a pain to put it exactly right and then it would not work or whatever and eventually still look like poo poo. But different things appeal to different people I guess.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I used to be the same way, but one time I needed a traffic solution in an incredibly busy city, and I played around with tram-in-road puzzle pieces. It was a lot of work but the end result was genuinely great and one of my favorite things I've ever made in a SimCity.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

HappyHelmet posted:

Using roads as an example, I generally skip fractional pieces and just use wide road pieces. They still break up the right angle turns but are easy to place.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
If I was just working on a single tile I'd be fine with stuff like that, but generally I'm building things on a regional scale. The thought of having to meticulously place puzzle pieces over 2-3 large tiles in a region is too much for me.

And speaking of adding in transportation I've been working on getting the first avenue/country highway setup in my region:

This is the relatively small town of Limpa. It's East of the largest town in the region Ciabatta, which has been forced to build a larger transportation network as it continues expand into something more like a city. The road was not really something Limpa was ready for as they didn't have the funds to support the additional infrastructure. And when regional pressure forced them to continue the road toward the South to the city of Pain Normand the mayor took action.

It's hard to see the difference in this shot, but the once small population of Limpa essentially doubled over night. The mayor having been forced to open up the city into a burgeoning bedroom community to Ciabatta in order to pay for the new road. Though despite the addition of several new houses, and commercial buildings to the heart of Limpa the area has remained fairly true to it's agricultural roots. The founding of the tiny farming town Cinnamon Raisin is a testament to that.

To the South is the Pane di Terni area. It's also of an agricultural mindset, but with the combined support of three large(ish) farming towns the new road had less of an impact. Population did rise, and new businesses moved in, but it was mostly to support the influx of new farmers moving in to sell their goods in the growing cities of Ciabatta and Pain Normand (just South).

A regional view. This is actually already out of date, but gives a broader view of the goings on. Ciabatta is larger, Pain Normand is much larger, and the Limpa/Ciabatta border is much less clear. I'll try to get some other photos next time I'm in the game.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Re uploaded my mega pack.

Cleaned it up a bit with most of the duplicates from OF3.

Moved all Simgobber, PEG etc mods to one file.

Fixed the dependency issue mentioned earlier.

Added more stuff (I'm addicted) such as bus/parking combined, high capacity underground parking, more low to medium rise growable/ploppable residential and commercial. More sky scrapers, more park related stuff like indoor/outdoor pools, decent looking tennis courts. Added a few combined elementary/high schools (see small county school, it owns for small towns with its big radius).

Ninja related mods are still hosed, sorry. I just can't find the mod needed to stop the green roof.

https://mega.co.nz/#!5ck33KzS!Wq04elB3H7-hyq1O1rdJhzd5Dg2D7eyB-UkIO-909Sg

E - Its still not dat packed. If anyone would like to do this, I'd be very appreciative. I'm dubious about doing it since it says move lots of poo poo and I'd rather not break my plugins.

E - Also what's really cool is the modular roadside parking set. It's low capacity but looks great with residential areas. I think it's something like 50 cars per tile but you can do some cool stuff with it. Double sided parking too.

Tai fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 8, 2014

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Hey Tai, did you mess with the trees and foliage in OldFashioned Pack? I ask because I just set up the Fhuzo region and it all works fine, except that no trees are showing up on any cities despite all being present on the region map.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Yes I did, the terrain mod pack is not in my version as it causes stability problems for me and as Fhuzo map doesn't work for me, I'd guess that is what you need to add for terrain related features to show up.

As far as specific flora related mods, nothing else has been touched with. I've only added flora mods. I am pretty sure though its the terrain folder that you will need to make Fhuzo work.

E - I think this is the link for it http://sc4terraformer.sourceforge.net/ . I'm not 100% sure though so better to have someone else confirm it.

Tai fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Sep 19, 2014

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Ah alright, thanks for the quick reply and I'll look into that :)

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

HappyHelmet posted:

If I was just working on a single tile I'd be fine with stuff like that, but generally I'm building things on a regional scale. The thought of having to meticulously place puzzle pieces over 2-3 large tiles in a region is too much for me.

What puzzle piece work at the regional scale are you doing? Normally I'll set up a regional rail network, and then within a city there'll be a tram or bus system which hooks up to the rail network. Regional stuff gets up quick and easy, and then the municipal stuff gets fleshed out in more detail.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Anyone have any decent I-HT buildings and/or growables? I've got the main stream stuff but I'm still lacking badly on HT buildings as the shame poo poo grows over and over. The picture shows how limited my HT choice is and it's annoying.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Tai posted:

Anyone have any decent I-HT buildings and/or growables? I've got the main stream stuff but I'm still lacking badly on HT buildings as the shame poo poo grows over and over. The picture shows how limited my HT choice is and it's annoying.

Have to admit, even tho it is the same buildings repeated you do make the best of it cause that looks sweet!

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Why do $$$ buildings keep popping up when they shouldn't, and is there any way I can stop it?

They show up when demand is significantly negative, in areas with no services except water. They get built, and almost immediately downgrade to medium wealth. The only plugins I run are NAM, SPAM, Peg's garbage chute, the Chamber of Commerce, and a bunch of SimGoober BATs.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I sometimes get bigger then normal buildings appearing when they shouldn't and look out of place. It's best to just keep blowing them up till they build as something else.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
It's an issue with some modded buildings. Whoever made the building likely used the wrong tag, and now the building is in the wrong class.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

HappyHelmet posted:

It's an issue with some modded buildings. Whoever made the building likely used the wrong tag, and now the building is in the wrong class.
Yeah, but these are stock buildings, too. edit: Chalmers Co. and Stampel printing stand out the most, but maybe because they're easy to see.

Should a $$$ medium density building of any type show up in a place where the only service is water?

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 22, 2014

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Water and no power? It shouldn't even build any type.

E - Assuming you meant you have power too, the big ones for getting $$$ is decent education, health, fire/police coverage and also any park related stuff nearby. Also ordinances have quite a big effect too if you have them all turned on. CPR, pro reading, smoke. Those kind of boosts to the overall area.

If you are after a slum or low rise/low wealth commercial area then just make sure to knock down all of the above.

Tai fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 22, 2014

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Sorry, yes power too. I forget about that since it's necessary. Here's the kind of thing that's getting frustrating:

I have let's say about 4000 demand for CO$$ and negative 5000 demand for CO$$$. I go off to a spot that's not in the coverage circles for any education, health, fire, or police, or any parks. Just power and water. I zone some medium density commercial, and a third to a half of what shows up is CO$$$.

Why? how? Either something is making demand completely non-functional or I'm missing something, it seems.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Are the buildings that pop up player designed buildings or default maxis ones?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Both, as far as I can tell. For instance, the Chalmers Co, Stampel Printing, Molon Condos, and Packard Apartments are all Maxis buildings, correct?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I can't tell you offhand. If you click on each buildings info, it will be fairly obvious if it's a player created building. Likely hood is that someone either added it in the wrong $$$ or just designed a building a bit too big for the $$$. Some buildings like skyscrapers are not always CO$$$ and it can be a pain if I'm trying to build a mid rise commercial sector in a town. I just have to keep blowing them up till something else that's suitable for the surrounding area pops up then lock it by making it historical.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
I get what sounds like a similar issue. I nearly always have fully pegged positive demand for CS (or R$/R$$) , but even if the most minimal CO (or R$$$) demand is there, the CS gets skipped over and yet another Marshall Printing building or luxury villa will pop up on my 4x4 high density lot.

I just have yet to muster up the willpower to knock down massive amounts of low-medium density CO, wait for it to fill at least partially with CS, mark the CS historical, and repeat a few times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

metallicaeg posted:

I just have yet to muster up the willpower to knock down massive amounts of low-medium density CO, wait for it to fill at least partially with CS, mark the CS historical, and repeat a few times.

This is how I build a lot of my neighbourhoods, especially residential, when I want them all to be the same or fit together.

This, for example, is a work in progress:

• Locked thread