Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fabricated posted:

next year: 7" iphone that comes with a smaller 4" iphone tethered to it

iChucks, snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
remember when phones got smaller every year, and it looked like they'd wind up being small enough to lose in your ear canal?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Millstone posted:

don't worry steve wilahahahahah

this but scott forstall and also unironically

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

prefect posted:

remember when phones got smaller every year, and it looked like they'd wind up being small enough to lose in your ear canal?

like in zoolander

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Bloody posted:

like in zoolander

the files

are in

the computer

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

prefect posted:

mah bluetooths prevent the need for a smaller phone.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Bloody posted:

like in zoolander

still haven't seen that movie, but i hear it get mentioned a lot. i should see it

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Dirk Pitt posted:

mah bluetooths
the proper term is blueteeth or in certain cases bluestooth

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Citizen Tayne posted:

Tim removes his mask, revealing Boo-Keun Yoon's laughing face. Jony Ive falls to his knees and begs Steve's ghost for forgiveness. fade to black.

same but pan to featureless white of the iveroom.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

prefect posted:

I do, prefect! I remember that!

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

prefect posted:

still haven't seen that movie, but i hear it get mentioned a lot. i should see it

i think it's on netflix

it's better than you might expect

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

i think it's on netflix

it's better than you might expect

you know what else was better than i expected? "super troopers" -- holy cow that's a damned comedy classic, and i didn't realize it at the time

i've also heard good things about "kung pow"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
apple is getting all hosed up by their decision to have a single constant screen layout on every phone. they should take some lessons from android, the truly resolution independent os

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
oh, yeah, even though the native resolution of my screen is so high you can't see the pixels at all, I'm just gonna render everything at 3x the scale for a minute amount of anti aliasing and use eight times the processing power

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
can't wait for the iBlock module for project ara

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Citizen Tayne posted:

Apple is dead.

Sweevo posted:

remember how everything apple did in the 90s was utter dogshit?

yeah it's going to be like that again

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
the truth is that spergs are going to be the only ones to notice

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

prefect posted:

dont its dated as hell and is bad

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
best bits of zoolander:
the tiny phone
the gasoline fight

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

'Incredible' Response to iPhone 6 and 6 Plus as Apple Sets Overnight Pre-Order Sales Record

Another record-setting iPhone launch. Psst, Samsung--the ball's in your court!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Phoenixan posted:

best bits of zoolander:
the tiny phone
the gasoline fight

the tiny hammer in the mine scene is p good too

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

I did not preorder the iphone 6.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Elder Postsman posted:

I did not preorder the iphone 6.

same, forums user elder postsman

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

the tiny hammer in the mine scene is p good too

cough cough

i think i have the black lung, pop

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

basically all of zoolander is great

honkwins
Jun 24, 2011

a high-protein meat alternative

Nipplebox posted:

'Incredible' Response to iPhone 6 and 6 Plus as Apple Sets Overnight Pre-Order Sales Record

Another record-setting iPhone launch. Psst, Samsung--the ball's in your court!

quote:

Many people (myself included) were ordering both models in order (pun intended) to figure out which one to keep.

You can definitely divide whatever number they're gonna come up with by 2

not only is everyone impatient they are also indecisive and had to order both right away

i hope this shitlord throws a temper tantrum when they charge him a restocking fee

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I hope he can't make the rent next month because he blew his money on two new iPhones that ship in 3 to 4 weeks

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

I hope he can't make the rent next month because he blew his money on two new iPhones that ship in 3 to 4 weeks

if star wars sex parrot's quotes from the iyg forums are to be believed, these people live with their parents to they're safe

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
android users are people just like you and me but they are more stupid and less handsome/pretty

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Phoenixan posted:

best bits of zoolander:
the tiny phone
the gasoline fight

merman

honkwins
Jun 24, 2011

a high-protein meat alternative

Kirk posted:

android users are people just like you and me but they are more stupid and less handsome/pretty

so they are dumb and ugly AND possess inferior personal electronics

why even live that life

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

if star wars sex parrot's quotes from the iyg forums
linku

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

i think i'm worked up because of all the stupid iPhone preordering questions in IYG

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

mostly because they're all still manchildren on their parents' plans and trying to figure out if they can preorder iPhones if billing/shipping info doesn't match the account

there weren't any direct quotes sorry if i disappointed you

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

xian posted:

How likely is it that a Gold Iphone 6 will have a higher resale value a year from now than the other types?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i dont understand why it has to do this. the iphone 5/5s is 16:9 already, so why can't it just use the same layout of all the other apps? i doubt blowing them up would look good on such a large screen but can't they jutst use the same layout info with bigger widgets or whatever?

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

prefect posted:

you know what else was better than i expected? "super troopers" -- holy cow that's a damned comedy classic, and i didn't realize it at the time

i've also heard good things about "kung pow"

God super troopers owned

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

fixed

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

i dont understand why it has to do this. the iphone 5/5s is 16:9 already, so why can't it just use the same layout of all the other apps? i doubt blowing them up would look good on such a large screen but can't they jutst use the same layout info with bigger widgets or whatever?

nerd spec poo poo

Apple is dead

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

the iPhone display is thought of by the UI as a grid of "points". through the 3GS a point was one pixel which was convenient. starting with the 4 a point became 2 pixels. with the 6 they could stay there but then the screen would be lower dpi and this would be bad pr. so instead with the 6 they kept the same dpi and made a new point grid that's arbitrarily larger. it's still 2 pixels per point so everything is going to look weird and spaced out until every app maker makes a new custom layout for the 6.

for the 6+ this is untenable though since either the dpi would again be lower or the amount of spacing out would reach anroid tablet levels. so they decided to move the 6+ to 3 pixels per point on the new 6 layout. but this would require a display of infeasible dpi so they are internally rendering it at higher res and then scaling it down to a much cheaper 1920x1080 panel which can be found in any Shenzhen dumpster. presumably they intend to upgrade the display in the 6s+ or 7+ or whatever. in conclusion apple lol.

Linguica fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Sep 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

scaling is hard. I have confidence that Apple did a good job with it though.

Also keep in mind any anti ailasing will hardly be visible with the screen size and the distance you view it from.

• Locked thread