Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Dick Fagballzson posted:

I defied his advice, went with my instincts, and turned out to be right. And I'll be smug about it all day long thank you very much.

I also bought a second Intel 730 at the $262 price just to spite everyone here. My 730s will still be humming along nicely years from now while your EVOs are in the dumpster.

But you defied it for what will probably turn out to be the wrong reason, so I'm not sure what you're smug about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Dick Fagballzson posted:

My 730s will still be humming along nicely years from now while your EVOs are in the dumpster.

This is a performance bug, not a "toss them in the trash before they die like cheap junk" problem. If you really believed your own bullshit you'd insist on nothing less than SLC flash since it enjoys bigger advantages in performance and write endurance over MLC than MLC does over TLC.

Also despite all your :smug: the reason MLC and TLC are cheaper isn't cutting corners on quality, it's literally just that you can pack about 2x or 3x as many bits into the same number of storage cells of identical (or nearly so) design and quality standards. The EVO's whole claim to fame is that it operates a decent sized chunk of its "TLC" cells in SLC mode to quickly accept incoming writes, up to the size of the SLC buffer.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Dick Fagballzson posted:

I defied his advice, went with my instincts, and turned out to be right. And I'll be smug about it all day long thank you very much.

I also bought a second Intel 730 at the $262 price just to spite everyone here. My 730s will still be humming along nicely years from now while your EVOs are in the dumpster.
Having followed the thread (and previous one) for some time, Alereon and others pretty much universally say to get a higher end drive if you can get it for the same price. If you want to spend more, that's your prerogative, but the thread (like many other purchasing advice threads) is to provide what's the best cost/quality/reliability ratio to the best extent of current knowledge (from Tech sites and first-hand experiences of a decent sample size [SA]), not reading Tarot cards hoping to accurately predict the future.

Therefore, no one gives a poo poo about your smugness.

Vaguely related: I am, however, a little sad that the new thread's OP did become so Samsung heavy, dropping many considered-to-be-competitive Intel/Sandisk offerings. Kind of seems strange to go through pointing out all the bad brands without giving a fair shake for the other good ones as well for people to more readily research beyond on their own.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

Dick Fagballzson posted:

This is objectively dumb. Also if you wanted to come back to gloat at least have an understanding of the issue instead of making up bullshit.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

bUm posted:

Vaguely related: I am, however, a little sad that the new thread's OP did become so Samsung heavy, dropping many considered-to-be-competitive Intel/Sandisk offerings. Kind of seems strange to go through pointing out all the bad brands without giving a fair shake for the other good ones as well for people to more readily research beyond on their own.

Unlike the system building thread, this thread is much more geared to "Just buy this, 99% chance you'll be happy, now stop bothering us." And that's absolutely fair - SSD prices fluctuate in a way that a thread OP can't handle and a person not looking to buy would be hard-pressed to keep up with. That's why there's a deals thread in Coupons and Deals for that kind of stuff. And for almost all consumers, merely having an SSD at all is so much better than a hard drive that the difference between a mediocre SSD and the best SSD is almost entirely unnoticeable.

Updating OPs is a lot of work, and Alereon erred on the side of a steady recommendation so that his frequent updates would be manageable. Lots of drives were left out, but virtually none of them did anything the 840 EVO doesn't. v:shobon:v

--

Anyhoo, this 840 EVO bug thing comes at an odd time for me. I literally just switched my laptop over to a 250 GB 840 EVO mSATA. :v:

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Factory Factory posted:

Unlike the system building thread, this thread is much more geared to "Just buy this, 99% chance you'll be happy, now stop bothering us." And that's absolutely fair - SSD prices fluctuate in a way that a thread OP can't handle and a person not looking to buy would be hard-pressed to keep up with. That's why there's a deals thread in Coupons and Deals for that kind of stuff. And for almost all consumers, merely having an SSD at all is so much better than a hard drive that the difference between a mediocre SSD and the best SSD is almost entirely unnoticeable.

Updating OPs is a lot of work, and Alereon erred on the side of a steady recommendation so that his frequent updates would be manageable. Lots of drives were left out, but virtually none of them did anything the 840 EVO doesn't. v:shobon:v

--

Anyhoo, this 840 EVO bug thing comes at an odd time for me. I literally just switched my laptop over to a 250 GB 840 EVO mSATA. :v:
To be clear: I merely meant mentioning other confirmed good brands/drives like the previous thread did (not sure how often that was updated) even if still giving the 840 EVO top recommendation status, not trying to recommend based on prices or anything of that nature.

Me too: my 500GB 840 EVO arrived a week ago. So far, I'm very content; getting it for $125 out of pocket ($200 on sale, $75 gift card from selling something I got for free) definitely helps offset news of possible problems.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
Something like this is pretty much guaranteed to be fixed with a firmware update right? Or is it recommended to not buy EVOs now or what? I was gonna start sorting poo poo out for my new PC.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
I was about to get the 500GB EVO, but decided 256gb is plenty, and upgrade to an 850pro and not having to deal with this. Even better, it was like $60 cheaper than the 500gb 840 EVO, and its got all those extra niceties, of being an 850 pro.

That being said, it does sound a lot like some kind of software problem that is likely solvable. It comes down to whether or not Samsung wants to dedicate software engineers to fixing a likely complicated algorithm problem on a soon to be obsolete product line? I expect they will, the SSD part of samsung seems to be pretty serious about the quality and reputation of their products.

Shanakin fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Sep 13, 2014

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
The MEX controller in the 840 EVO is the same one as in the 850 Pro. I'm sure they have incentive to track it down, at least.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Factory Factory posted:

The MEX controller in the 840 EVO is the same one as in the 850 Pro. I'm sure they have incentive to track it down, at least.

That's true, but I understand they had to redo a lot of the firmware to optimise for v-nand, and there's been no cases of it appearing on the 850s as of yet (although they are still fairly new to the market).

In my case, if, in fact the 850s do also suffer from the error, it is, as you say pretty large motivation for them to fix that ASAP, and I've got a pretty awesome SSD otherwise. If not then I've got a pretty awesome SSD.

The 500gb would be nice, but honestly by the time I need that much, I'm hoping the cost of SSDs will have dropped somewhat further, and I get to put that $60 into something else.

Shanakin fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Sep 13, 2014

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Liu posted:

Something like this is pretty much guaranteed to be fixed with a firmware update right? Or is it recommended to not buy EVOs now or what? I was gonna start sorting poo poo out for my new PC.
The hard thing right now is that I don't feel like we have enough information about what is going on to give very solid advice. This is the first time this problem has been seen before with any drive, which may mean that it exists in other drives but we just haven't been testing for it. Nothing has changed with the reasons other consumer drives (like Crucial and OCZ) aren't favored, and while I'd initially consider SanDisk the big winner here, they use a very similar complicated flash structure to Samsung on the 840 Evo, so I'd be particularly worried about their drives. We don't even really have more than forum posts to go on to judge the extent of the problem or under what circumstances it occurs.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Regarding Canadian prices, is $150 and $280 a good price for Evo 840 250GB and 500GB respectively?

(http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX47587, http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX47588)

Also, if I already have a 120GB SSD, could I cheap out and get another 120gb ssd, or is it just better to sack up and get a 250gb drive?

EDIT: If I already have windows on the 120GB SSD, is there anything that I need to do regarding just adding a new SSD? Assume that I am functional retarded about this stuff.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 13, 2014

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Drewjitsu posted:

Regarding Canadian prices, is $150 and $280 a good price for Evo 840 250GB and 500GB respectively?

(http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX47587, http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX47588)

Also, if I already have a 120GB SSD, could I cheap out and get another 120gb ssd, or is it just better to sack up and get a 250gb drive?

EDIT: If I already have windows on the 120GB SSD, is there anything that I need to do regarding just adding a new SSD? Assume that I am functional retarded about this stuff.
Using Google's currency conversion: the 500GB is roughly in-line with normal (non-sale) US price; the 250GB is a little less in-line with normal US price, but pretty close ($5/a few percent US more).

Price per GB for 120GBs is getting pretty bad (relative to larger sizes: 72 US cents per GB [120GB 840 EVO] vs. 52 US cents per GB [250GB 840 EVO]) these days to the point that I'd only think it's worth it if you're strapped for cash and don't already have an SSD at all (for at least OS/most common apps).

Depending on the model of the old SSD, it may be worthwhile to move your OS over since chances are the 840 EVO has better performance (unless this newly found issue turns out unfixable with firmware) and your OS/common apps will probably benefit more than games or whatever your were going to put on the second SSD. I don't think you need to do anything special after connecting it (except you'll still want to get Samsung Magician and follow OP directions with that), but I'd let a thread regular confirm.

bUm fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 13, 2014

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
This EVO news is depressing, everything else that doesn't have a bad reputation is enthusiast stuff that costs a fair bit more, the Intel 730 I was eyeing up is £100 more for the same amount of storage (500GB)

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Hey guys, I just installed a Samsung 840 Evo 250 GB drive and reinstalled Windows 7 Pro x64 onto it.

Do I need to install whatever is on the disk that came came with the drive or should I just run the old "fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify 0" command in the command prompt to enable TRIM and put the disk in a drawer and forget about it?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 14, 2014

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

GreatGreen posted:

Hey guys, I just installed a Samsung 840 Evo 250 GB drive and reinstalled Windows 7 Pro x64 onto it.

Do I need to install whatever is on the disk that came came with the drive or should I just run the old "fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify 0" command in the command prompt to enable TRIM and put the disk in a drawer and forget about it?

Pretty much ignore the disk, download Samsung Magician, use that to see if your firmware needs updating and enable RAPID.
Don't do any of the OS optimizations, though. They're really stupid settings that don't actually help.

If AHCI was enabled in the BIOS when you installed Windows 7, it should've automatically detected that it was being installed on an SSD and enable TRIM accordingly. But you can re-run the Windows Experience Index system assessment again to be sure.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Ok so I installed Windows 7 with my BIOS in IDE mode like an idiot.

However, I followed the steps to reenable AHCI in Windows 7:
1 change setting in registry
2 change setting in BIOS

and the Samsung Magician is still telling me AHCI is disabled. Any suggestions before I reinstall Windows 7 again?

edit: I've decided to go ahead and reinstall Windows 7 Pro x64 with AHCI enabled in the BIOS. Hopefully that will fix the issue.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Sep 14, 2014

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Before I went to the trouble of a flatten/reinstall, I'd make SURE AHCI is actually not working - the easiest way that I know of is to run CrystalDiskMark and compare the last two results(4k and 4k queued, 32 deep).

If AHCI is working, the 4K queued result will be significantly improved over the vanilla 4K - if it's still in IDE mode, the numbers will be the same, since command queuing only works when when AHCI is functioning properly.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Is there anything you can do besides just enabling AHCI mode in the BIOS and changing that registry value from 3 to 0?

Are there any specific drivers I should go download and install first or something? Can installing the AHCI during a windows installation fix the problem? I'm using a Gigabyte P55-UD3R motherboard and the drivers download page for that board has an AHCI driver specifically for injecting into a fresh Win7x64 install. How likely is that to solve the issue you think?

Update:

I reinstalled Windows 7 and finally got AHCI working. I'm using a Gigabyte P55-UD3R motherboard and apparently I had to download the SATA AHCI drivers from Gigabyte's website and inject them into the Windows install by pressing F6 at the point where you choose your OS partition. Injecting the drivers at this point will create a 128 MB partition that the drive uses for AHCI I guess, but whatever it does it works.

If you're using an SSD and aren't using AHCI mode, I'd highly recommend seeing if you can activate it. I did a few speed tests and the drive is a loooot faster now.

edit: god drat this PC feels fast now, holy poo poo.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Sep 15, 2014

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Still too early to get a Samsung XP941, right?

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Just do what I did: get two 480GB Intel 730s and put them in RAID 0. TRIM works, and I'm hitting 1066 MB/s seq read, and 960 MB/s seq write. 960GB running at baller level speeds for a Samsung EVO price at $262/drive.

Or follow the OP's advice, get an EVO, and watch your speeds plummet to worse than a 4200rpm laptop drive, which is what happens when you buy an overhyped drive made out of trash parts.

Dick Fagballzson fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Sep 15, 2014

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

You're really emotionally invested in your choice of SSD, aren't you?

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

Dick Fagballzson posted:

Just do what I did: get two 480GB Intel 730s and put them in RAID 0. TRIM works, and I'm hitting 1066 MB/s seq read, and 960 MB/s seq write. 960GB running at baller level speeds for a Samsung EVO price at $262/drive.

Or follow the OP's advice, get an EVO, and watch your speeds plummet to worse than a 4200rpm laptop drive, which is what happens when you buy an overhyped drive made out of trash parts.

It's ironic how dumb you're making yourself look while trying to make yourself look smart.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
SSD bashing aside, recommending anyone use RAID 0 for anything other than a temporary/scratch drive rubs me the wrong way.

jeef
Jun 1, 2004

At least those of us popping in this thread who were 95% going to get an EVO got some additional entertainment while reaffirming our decision to get the EVO. Some of us just aren't ready for baller level speeds, ya know?

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
So many butthurt people in this thread who bought EVOs. When you buy a drive that's basically a bunch of USB flash drives held together by some glue and a dream, this is what happens.

Xenomorph posted:

SSD bashing aside, recommending anyone use RAID 0 for anything other than a temporary/scratch drive rubs me the wrong way.

Why? So it has two failure points. It's still probably more reliable than most any mechanical hard drive. And it's fast, which I thought was the whole point of getting an SSD in the first place. It sounds like you just lack the courage to step up to baller level SSD speeds.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dick Fagballzson posted:

So many butthurt people in this thread who bought EVOs.

I own Intel drives and don't own or plan to own an Evo and you're way too angry about Evos. It had no impact on you at all, but you're pissed off as if you just spent thousands outfitting an entire office or something.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Do not buy the Samsung XP941, there are known drive-killing bugs.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Dick Fagballzson posted:

So many butthurt people in this thread

It's you! haha

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
I've got an application that takes 22 minutes to generate 50MB files on my Samsung 250GB EVO and takes 26 minutes when it writes to a RAM drive.

This seems odd, I would of thought the RAM disk should be a little faster than the SSD.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Weird. It's as if the storage medium isn't your bottleneck.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
So the how bad is this problem with the EVO drives? I was hoping to buy one a 1TB one for $390 today. Should I hold off or pull the trigger since the deal lasts 24hrs?

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 15, 2014

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

OhFunny posted:

So the how bad is this problem with the EVO drives? I was hoping to buy one a 1TB one for $390 today. Should I hold off or pull the trigger since the deal lasts 24hrs?

Well so far its unconfirmed by any place that I'd trust. There seem to be some forum articles on it, but nothing else. I've had my 256 for...nearly a year now I think. Maybe 9 months or so. Single Win 7 install, lots of static data in a few folders from immediately post-install, and I've never seen anything resembling what they are saying. So its either a) no trim equals bad or b) bullshit/something else not the drive. Either way, I wouldn't sweat it.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Siochain posted:

Well so far its unconfirmed by any place that I'd trust. There seem to be some forum articles on it, but nothing else. I've had my 256 for...nearly a year now I think. Maybe 9 months or so. Single Win 7 install, lots of static data in a few folders from immediately post-install, and I've never seen anything resembling what they are saying. So its either a) no trim equals bad or b) bullshit/something else not the drive. Either way, I wouldn't sweat it.

Thanks. Ordered the drive. I've been holding off on getting a SSD for a while. Feels good to finally move into the future.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also a TRIM pass seems to fix it anyway.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Just so we're on the same page, my plan is to update the OP once we have confirmation from any legit site and with the details they provide. Anandtech is doing testing now, as I understand it.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Theory: Their storage midlayer driver is causing the bottleneck? If not, then I guess spurious interrupts or some other crap. Wild dart throwing here.
Edit: Someone without RAPID enabled should be able to refute/prove that fairly quickly, I imagine. Or someone that uses multiple EVO drives, but I'm unsure.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
I run without RAPID (it broke on suspend until a reboot), but my drive is days old. It would take me a while to get to a testable situation.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Edit: NVM. Apparently, the jury is still out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
From what I was reading on overclockers, the problem with the EVOs are specifically limited to the 128/250 GB models. They have found that a secure erase, meaning using a specialized app to totally zero out the drive, will restore performance to brand-new-drive levels.

Most people who are experiencing the issue are taking an image of the drive, using another program to secure erase the drive which zeros it out, then they reapply the image back to the drive making sure that the alignment is correct. This seems to fix the problem.

However, it has not been determined whether or not this is a short-term or long-term fix. People don't know if the drive will eventually go back to being slow. Well, "slow" for an SSD.

• Locked thread