Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

Babby's First e-fund update:

Searched local shops for 4 pillars, none of them had it and wanted $35 to order it, went amazon for $12.
Have an appointment to open a TD account on Friday.
Have an appointment to open a "WebBroker" account at TD Waterhouse for "direct investing" tomorrow.
Called my Manulife guy and have $2500 coming my way in about a week. Should be an ok amount to get started?

TD Waterhouse also said they do free seminars on direct investing and using the webbroker interface, worth checking out?
Am I doing this right? I don't remember anyone mentioning webbroker before, but when I went into the TD and told them I wanted an e-series fund they sent me next door to waterhouse. When I told the lady there I wanted e-series mutual funds she was like "oh you mean web broker?"

Pretty sure that is not what you want. Ask a person at TD to open a mutual fund RSP, then call TD and have it converted to an e-series account. It's a bitch for tellers to set up e-series accounts so it's kind of a thing you have to do over the phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
You can absolutely buy e series funds in your Waterhouse webbroker account, but if you're going to set that up you should just buy ETFs. They have even lower MERs than the eseries funds.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Kalenn Istarion posted:

You can absolutely buy e series funds in your Waterhouse webbroker account, but if you're going to set that up you should just buy ETFs. They have even lower MERs than the eseries funds.

That Waterhouse account will rape him in annual fees if he only invests 2500, though. It's $100/year for less than 25k in assets.

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Tootin the Doom Flute has led the Kingdom of Ankist into a new age of illumination. Every morning, people wake up and open palm slam a woodwind instrument into their mouth. It is the Doom Flute and right then and there they start playing the notes. They play every note, and they play every note hard
To distill it down to as simple as possible -

TD Waterhouse = account fees
TD Bank = no account fees, but a bit of paperwork to do / hoops to jump through.

You can't get e-series funds in a TD Mutual fund TFSA/RRSP until you mail in a form requesting them; so when you open either kind of account at TD Bank, you have to buy some regular-MER mutual funds. Then when you get home, print off the form, sign up for self managed investing, and then after 30 days, switch them to e-series.

C... fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Sep 10, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
TD Waterhouse waives the fees if you have more than 25k though.

Does that have to be in the same account, or is that your total portfolio? Like if I have 20k in a LIRA and 20k in RSP, do I have to lay the hundred bucks a year?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

C... posted:

To distill it down to as simple as possible -

TD Waterhouse = account fees
TD Bank = no account fees, but a bit of paperwork to do / hoops to jump through.

You can't get e-series funds in a TD Mutual fund TFSA/RRSP until you mail in a form requesting them; so when you open either kind of account at TD Bank, you have to buy some regular-MER mutual funds. Then when you get home, print off the form, sign up for self managed investing, and then after 30 days, switch them to e-series.

My bank lady had my LIRA funds sent directly to a Money Market fund and that didn't seem to have a 30 day wait condition, but your assessment looks right to me.

chang with a k
Sep 11, 2006
It's less painful to just open a Waterhouse account(s). You can start buying eSeries funds as soon as you've transferred in your cash. No account conversion applications necessary. If you're opening an RRSP, just make sure it's the Basic RSP, and not the Self-Directed RSP. It's a $25/year fee and you can buy only mutual funds (including eSeries) in the Basic RSP account. For the SDRSP, it becomes $100/year, though you can buy ETFs and stocks (*Hint: open a Questrade account when you're at that stage). The fee is per account, I think. I had my TFSA maxed at $31k, but still got charged for my RSP. Not sure if having a LIRA and RSP is any different, but you should ask TD.

I spent a couple months in limbo trying to open an account through mail-ins and online applications until TD phone support just said gently caress it, go to a branch, which took about an hour of sitting with the advisor (and that included opening a chequing account and signing up for credit cards in addition to a Waterhouse RSP and TFSA). YMMV, as always.

chang with a k fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 10, 2014

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
So should I cancel this waterhouse appointment and try to... ask harder at the TD bank? I'm getting conflicting which is paralyzing me. These are the sort of mixed signals and "don't do this or fees will kill you" "no do this its better!" stuff that gets me really flustered.

My end goal is to have some simple e-series like couch potato recomends (i think?) mutual funds that I can more or less forget about in a TFSA. If I'm starting with $2000, $100 fee is going to kill me. But in the end I would like to have well over 100k in there, but I need to prove it's better and just as safe as Manulife to my wife. Weird fees or surprise charges or taxes will ruin that experiment.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Sep 10, 2014

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Reduce the rectal spread!
Use glory holes instead!

An official message from the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control

Baronjutter posted:

So should I cancel this waterhouse appointment and try to... ask harder at the TD bank? I'm getting :alarm:conflicting info:alarm: which is paralyzing me. These are the sort of mixed signals and "don't do this or fees will kill you" "no do this its better!" stuff that gets me really flustered.

My end goal is to have some simple e-series like couch potato recomends (i think?) mutual funds that I can more or less forget about in a TFSA. If I'm starting with $2000, $100 fee is going to kill me. But in the end I would like to have well over 100k in there, but I need to prove it's better and just as safe as Manulife to my wife. Weird fees or surprise charges or taxes will ruin that experiment.

Either go with a mutual fund account converted into an e-series account, or go with ETFs at Questrade or something. Don't use TD-W with a small account.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.
TD is an absolute nightmare to set up an account with. They make you jump through all kinds of hoops with phone interviews, in person meetings, getting all kinds of web broker access ID's...ugh, they are brutal. Other brokers are able to set up you up almost instantaneously online (Questrade, IB), I don't know why TD is such a pain. I haven't set up an account at any of the other big banks though, so maybe they are all that way.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

So should I cancel this waterhouse appointment and try to... ask harder at the TD bank? I'm getting :alarm:conflicting info:alarm: which is paralyzing me. These are the sort of mixed signals and "don't do this or fees will kill you" "no do this its better!" stuff that gets me really flustered.

Yeah don't tell the branch your eseries goal, you'll only confuse them, just open up a mutual fund TFSA with 2500 bucks in a money market fund, then convert it to eseries over the phone.

I think they misunderstood you when you said "self directed".

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Kal Torak posted:

TD is an absolute nightmare to set up an account with.

This is why I went with questrade and it turned out to be the better deal IMO.

Also I'm about to drop :10bux: for a domain to make mrmoneymoose dot com. My wife is going to be away next week so I can sperg out for a few days and see how much HTML I remember from the late 1990s :iamafag:

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

Guest2553 posted:

This is why I went with questrade and it turned out to be the better deal IMO.

Also I'm about to drop :10bux: for a domain to make mrmoneymoose dot com. My wife is going to be away next week so I can sperg out for a few days and see how much HTML I remember from the late 1990s :iamafag:

Yeah, honestly Questrade & ETFs is superior to TD and e-series IMO. But that's just me.

And you may want to just get hosting that allows wordpress. Would be way easier than trying to remember code from 20 years ago.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I have some goonhosting which does support it, and the domain is available, but damned if I didn't actually save my password and security response in my password manager. Oops!

e. spoke to soon, remembered it after all. Okay I bought the domain, https://www.mrmoneymoose.com is a thing now yay. I hope hackers didn't steal my banking info over the hotel wifi!

Olive Branch posted:

Just wanted to repeat this again. A great basic resource for us newbies! :)

Keep asking the questions - I'll try to incorporate as much of them as I can on my site to reduce the asspain!

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Sep 10, 2014

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

revtoiletduck posted:

This is a great thread. I really appreciate the people who ask very basic questions and the other people who take the time to answer them thoroughly.
Just wanted to repeat this again. A great basic resource for us newbies! :)

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

Guest2553 posted:

e. spoke to soon, remembered it after all. Okay I bought the domain, https://www.mrmoneymoose.com is a thing now yay. I hope hackers didn't steal my banking info over the hotel wifi!

Nice. I'm looking forward to reading this. I've been following this thread on and off but haven't been able to get my head around everything to work my finances a bit harder.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

If TD is being finicky, are there any reasons it shouldn't just open a Questrade account?

I'm fairly knowledgeable when it comes to investing, but I can't be arsed to min/max everything and spend hours managing my poo poo, hence why my original plan was to just stick everything in an e-series. Right now TD online seems broken for new accounts sign up.

Although I just moved to a new city so I should probably just get a new bank account.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

If TD is being finicky, are there any reasons it shouldn't just open a Questrade account?

I'm fairly knowledgeable when it comes to investing, but I can't be arsed to min/max everything and spend hours managing my poo poo, hence why my original plan was to just stick everything in an e-series. Right now TD online seems broken for new accounts sign up.

Although I just moved to a new city so I should probably just get a new bank account.

Well it's not really that difficult, but it may also be really finicky.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
When did TD Waterhouse start charging? I set up a non-registered account there in I think 2006, never had more than $14k in there and wasn't charged fees. I know commissions used to be higher though.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

tuyop posted:

Well it's not really that difficult, but it may also be really finicky.

Finicky refers to the bullshit about not opening the account you want in the first place, and not being able to do most of it online.

There's a TD place next door to the office, I could go on my lunch break. At the same time, I've been with Desjardins since before I had a social insurance number so even though their insurance and investment products are poo poo, I don't know, I'm attached to them. Kick rear end credit cards and saving accounts (1.5%!), though.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Don't be loyal or exclusive to your banks, people. It's a costly decision.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

FrozenVent posted:

With TD, you can't open an investment account online. You have to call them to make an appointment. Then you have to go meet them in person. Then you have to wait. And wait. Then you might get a connect ID and access code. But you probably won't, so then you have to call them to get one.

It's not overly difficult, just annoying and more work than is really necessary.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

Finicky refers to the bullshit about not opening the account you want in the first place, and not being able to do most of it online.

There's a TD place next door to the office, I could go on my lunch break. At the same time, I've been with Desjardins since before I had a social insurance number so even though their insurance and investment products are poo poo, I don't know, I'm attached to them. Kick rear end credit cards and saving accounts (1.5%!), though.

You know, I have some really good friends, people I see very often and care about deeply. I wouldn't give any of them tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars for pretty much any reason, especially not just because it's my habit and some kind of nostalgia, especially not when that money isn't going to bring me any value at all.

I know that's not you and you're a smart consumer who minimizes the amount of money that you pay people for doing nothing, but the whole "my bank is my people" attitude is very common.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

This kinda segues into what I was gonna post :v:

Here are a couple quick rough drafts of content I was gonna add to moneymoose. I want to have it FAQ-style, answering general questions (eg., "What is the stock market and how does it work", "What is a registered account") while keeping responses short, easy to read, and legitimate-ish-ly sourced.

If you have any critique over writing style/readability/content please let me know. I'm trying to make it as simple to understand as possible and somewhat engaging which is hard because I was tragically born without a personality. Thanks :iamafag:

quote:

Your money works harder than you do

If you're like most people you know money is important, and that you need it, but don't like having to actively think about it or take control of it. While I understand the sentiment, and even subscribed to it myself for a while, it only costs you end the end - if you're not in control of your money, somebody else will be.

That's not to say that you can't go down to your bank to make a withdrawal - it still is your money - but your money can work harder than you can. And if it's not working for you, it's working for someone else. Namely the bank. With interest rates at historical lows, the banks are giving you 1% for the privilege of lending it out at 4% or more. Inflation - the rising cost of goods and services, currently around 2% - is causing your money pile to be worth less, but the banks are actually increasing their worth.

Why settle for 1% when you could be making 4% or more through simple investing? The quick answer is because it requires a little bit of work and know how, and we aren't born knowing how to create a budget or financial plan. Fortunately these skills are very easy to learn, and are MUCH simpler than they appear on the surface. If you can do online banking, you possess the technical expertise required.

Keep reading to find out how to make your money work for you!

quote:

When should I invest?

The best time to invest was maybe 50 years ago. Other good times included December of 1974, December of 1988, March of 2003 and March of 2009 following significant market crashes. If you happened to miss that train, the second best time to invest is right now.

Why is that so? In deciding when to invest, it's important to take opportunity cost into account. 'Opportunity cost' is a fancy way of saying 'trade-off' - it is the loss of potential gain from other alternatives when one alternative is chosen. And the opportunity cost of trying to 'time the market' will almost always result in a loss. People get lucky every once in a while, but even most 'professionals' who study stock markets for a living can't do it consistently. With that in mind, I'm more than happy to accept the average.

As previously established, time is the greatest asset we have when investing in the market, given that it will go up over time. The longer you spend in the market, the more it will benefit you. Short term fluctuations (or volatility) may swing your portfolio balance up and down, but if you are investing for the long term it shouldn't matter. Even if you were the world's unluckiest investor and bought into the market right before every crash since 1973, you would still be a millionaire.

Agonizing over timing in order to eke out the smallest of margins can have such a negligible difference that it could take years to even see a difference. Not to mention the time and stress of having to micromanage what should be a simple trade - passive investing should make your life easier! Remember - perfect is the enemy of good (a fact I really need to keep in mind when I write these things…).

Some of this is general info I'll cover canadian specific stuff when I talk about registered accounts and brokerages and the like.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 11, 2014

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

toe knee hand posted:

When did TD Waterhouse start charging? I set up a non-registered account there in I think 2006, never had more than $14k in there and wasn't charged fees. I know commissions used to be higher though.

They don't charge on mine either, just the trade fees (which don't apply to eSeries anyways).

Honestly my experience with TDW is nothing remotely like what people in here are describing.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
I'm not aware of any fees with my TDW account beyond the MER I pay for my eSeries funds that I've purchased. The MER is higher than buying ETFs with Questrade, which is why I'm planning to move to Questrade.

TDW was indeed a pain in the rear end for me to setup, because of the in-person meetings required. And the waiting. My god the waiting.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

melon cat fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 16, 2019

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

I accidentally referred to index stock and ETF investing as "passive-aggressive investing" the other day. I can't but feel it's an accurate term.

"Yeah, I'll just invest in everything, and give absolutely no shits about it for years on end, don't even care."

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Olive Branch posted:

I accidentally referred to index stock and ETF investing as "passive-aggressive investing" the other day. I can't but feel it's an accurate term.

"Yeah, I'll just invest in everything, and give absolutely no shits about it for years on end, don't even care."

"Read these books and spend a few hours opening some accounts. Or don't. Whatever. It's your funeral (money)."

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Went to my TD Bank appointment, got a lady who's been working there 30 years and knew her poo poo. Instantly knew all about their e-series stuff and filled out all the paperwork along with setting up the account. Gave me some advice, said she'd help with anything as well as help assure my wife. Went over why using a "guy" for mutual funds is pretty much throwing your money away and confirmed that although I won't be making the bank much money, I'm absolutely doing the right thing and she's salary. She also said due to the amount we'll be potentially investing she'll make an appointment with one of their "guys" who is non-commission and just generally go over everything I need to know to get my e-series funds going and optimize everything for taxes/retirement and make transferring over my TFSA smooth.

She had even heard of canadian couch potato!

Good signs? Am I on the right track?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

Went to my TD Bank appointment, got a lady who's been working there 30 years and knew her poo poo. Instantly knew all about their e-series stuff and filled out all the paperwork along with setting up the account. Gave me some advice, said she'd help with anything as well as help assure my wife. Went over why using a "guy" for mutual funds is pretty much throwing your money away and confirmed that although I won't be making the bank much money, I'm absolutely doing the right thing and she's salary. She also said due to the amount we'll be potentially investing she'll make an appointment with one of their "guys" who is non-commission and just generally go over everything I need to know to get my e-series funds going and optimize everything for taxes/retirement and make transferring over my TFSA smooth.

This sounds like the most positive meeting with a person who works for a bank that I can imagine. Good job!

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Tootin the Doom Flute has led the Kingdom of Ankist into a new age of illumination. Every morning, people wake up and open palm slam a woodwind instrument into their mouth. It is the Doom Flute and right then and there they start playing the notes. They play every note, and they play every note hard

tuyop posted:

This sounds like the most positive meeting with a person who works for a bank that I can imagine. Good job!

This! Everything went better than I could have imagined. Well done dude :)

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

tuyop posted:

I agree. That's insane. I hope she's a rich lady. Sounds like she should be unless she just learned all that information recently.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
She had one of those apparently popular charm necklace collector things just LOADED with charms and those are apparently super expensive so she's clearly doing well for her self.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I wonder if she's like a good personal finance inside guy who just steers people away from fear and ignorance and poverty toward sound financial advice all day long.

"No, ma'am, you do not want our 'high interest' TFSA savings account offering a three-month introductory rate of 1.5% because inflation is historically around 3% so that account is only slightly better than putting your paltry savings under a mattress. What you want is to set up an e-series TFSA and RRSP that automatically transfer 10% of your income into an allocation of securities and bonds based on your age and expected retirement date. I've completed those forms for you, please sign here and come back when you get a raise and we'll raise the transfer so that your lifestyle doesn't inflate. You won't even notice the withdrawals after the first three months, don't worry!"

"Yes sir I know that you want that car loan so that you can buy a 2014 Civic, but instead I've drawn up the difference in rent based on the address you gave us for your employer and home and found that you won't need a car if you move ten minutes East of your current place and the rent is also $200 less a month and you get an extra 150 square feet and a balcony. Heating and water are included. I've set up a meeting with the new landlord for you so you can see the place. This decision will save you about fifty thousand dollars over the lifetime of the loan that you may have gotten."

"Alright you two, I know you just got married and money is tight but you can't have a credit card to buy more useless plastic noisemakers so that you don't have to look at each other. Make do. Goodbye!"

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
:v: "I'd like to open a HELOC."
:j: "Hahahahahahaha"
:v: "So... do you have a form I can fill out?"
:j: "No, please leave now."
:v: "Fine, but I'm going to RBC!"

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Baronjutter posted:

I'm astonished this worked so well. Congrats.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I've been following the thread and it has inspired me to as well sign up for TD e-series and have an appointment booked at my branch next week. A few questions for you guys though that are borne out of my relative ignorance about the subject.

TD e-series are usually mentioned here with TFSA, but can I also use my RRSP contribution and invest it like this as well? I am currently putting the 18% into my company RRSP, but 8% of that are funds that I am free to redistribute (the other 10% has to stay with GWL, 5% company match). If so I will get the value of my voluntary contributions put towards purchasing these funds rather than continuing to pay into GWL.

Secondly, I am trying to do an MER comparison of future value, but from RRSP usage. I've found a few calculators online, but my father is planning to retire soon, and I feel like he would be squandering a large portion of his savings by continuing to pay these fees for what amounts to very little gain. I guess I want to encourage him to invest in something with a low MER (and of course very low risk) to make his RRSP value last as long as possible. From my thinking on a 15 year retirement time scale 1.5% extra MER could cost you a hundred thousand or so with the amount he has saved (probably close to 600,000 as an initial investment amount if you would call it that). That accounts for 3 or 4 years of retirement at the numbers you are going to be withdrawing from the RRSP (to avoid the higher tax brackets). Can't seem to find anything that will let me compare it accurately however.

Also, am I correct in assuming that for these calculators where it asks your average rate of return as a percentage if I were as a thought experiment want to compare two potential investments with the same return but different MER I would subtract the MER from the potential gain? Say if I wanted to go with 4% annual ROI and compare a 2% with a .5% I would use 2% RoR for one and 3.5% RoR for the other? Like in this calculator http://saviifinancial.com/seg-funds/m-e-r-fee-calculator/

flashman fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Sep 14, 2014

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I don't know about your dad question, except that lower MER is better pretty much universally.

But you can open any registered or non registered account with TD and buy eseries funds. So RRSP, TFSA, or like a regular mutual fund investment account that will be subject to taxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

flashman posted:

Also, am I correct in assuming that for these calculators where it asks your average rate of return as a percentage if I were as a thought experiment want to compare two potential investments with the same return but different MER I would subtract the MER from the potential gain? Say if I wanted to go with 4% annual ROI and compare a 2% with a .5% I would use 2% RoR for one and 3.5% RoR for the other? Like in this calculator http://saviifinancial.com/seg-funds/m-e-r-fee-calculator/

Yes.