Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Allyn posted:

You get to holy war catholics for rapid expansion (if you're big enough to fend off Catholics banding together), or you might want to do it for flavour. If that event pops for Catharism instead of Lollardism then you can use that to go full cognatic gender law, if memory serves

Incidentally I get offered the useless heresies a LOT more often than the useful ones. So much so that I don't think it could possibly just be random chance. Fracitelli in particular I hardly ever see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

Im my last game it took 3 years, I think. And then it absorved Italy and became huge, all before 900.

I thought I'd try playing as a vassal so I did this game as a count in East Francia in 867, as a vassal to a duke there. By 872 I was granted a duchy, and in 877 the HRE has formed. Now I might be able to elect myself Kaiser while still on my first character.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Eric the Mauve posted:

Just let it roll and have fun trying to deal with the resultant clusterfuck.

This was the correct answer by the way. I rolled the dice and went primogeniture with Aquitaine and now my first son gets that and France, my second son gets Burgundy, and my third son gets dick. (Also now my 6yo grandson through son #1 just became Byzantine emperor :psyduck: )

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Parallax Scroll posted:

I thought I'd try playing as a vassal so I did this game as a count in East Francia in 867, as a vassal to a duke there. By 872 I was granted a duchy, and in 877 the HRE has formed. Now I might be able to elect myself Kaiser while still on my first character.

That exactly what I done. I started as the independent count of Capua, became Duke of Capua and wanted to grow by myself for a while. But then HRE took Italy and the Bizzantines took Sicily and I didnt have anywhere else to expand.

So I joined HRE and after a while someone started a faction for me (my ruler was the most lovable guy ever), it was pressed and won. I became HRE emperor on my third character, around 930.

Bad thing is that the game became boring around 1000 so I just gave up.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
I was originally Breton and that's the culture of my people, but my capital is in Wales. And I'm called Wales? Does it matter? I think I want to be Brittany again. How did I do this?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Fat Turkey posted:

I was originally Breton and that's the culture of my people, but my capital is in Wales. And I'm called Wales? Does it matter? I think I want to be Brittany again. How did I do this?

If your two titles are of the same rank (i.e., if both Wales and Brittany are kingdoms) you should be able to change your primary title back to Brittany.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
They are the same rank. How do i do this?

Also. All those Crown Authorities and the rest of the laws. What should I be aiming for with them. Currently they are all small/normal but a High Crown Authority, but I don't really know.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Fat Turkey posted:

They are the same rank. How do i do this?

Also. All those Crown Authorities and the rest of the laws. What should I be aiming for with them. Currently they are all small/normal but a High Crown Authority, but I don't really know.

Click on the shield icon next to your portrait in the top-left of the screen. You should see your main title as the biggest shield, with a bunch of other title shields alongside it to the right. Click on the Brittany one, then choose "make primary".

jwalrus
Jul 27, 2007
I've got a question about the EUIV converter: I remember reading that it was possible to set what realm converts to the HRE, but can't recall the procedure. Can't seem to find it by googling, either. Can anyone give me a rundown of how to do this, or a link to an explanation?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Click on the shield icon next to your portrait in the top-left of the screen. You should see your main title as the biggest shield, with a bunch of other title shields alongside it to the right. Click on the Brittany one, then choose "make primary".

Confession time: I've definitely changed my primary title and then renamed it to my old one just because I liked the map color and arms better.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
OK cool, done, I'm now Brittany again.

Last one.

I used to be 8/8 for dumench butbive dropped to a max of 5 again and I can't work out why, after changing ruler. Is it because my brothers are the dukes of regions I gave away?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Your demesne cap is determined by:

1) your rank as a ruler (Emperor > King > MultiDuke > Duke > Count)
2) your ruler's stewardship score (plus half their spouse's - not sure if steward's matters but I don't think so.)
3) Legalism tech level in your capital
4) possibly something here I've forgotten

So my best guess as to the drop in your cap is that your new ruler has utter poo poo for a stewardship score.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Well that's true enough. But he is King of three countries (Brittany, Wales and Ireland). But he is only allowed 5 provincrs.?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
You don't get a bigger demesne cap for holding multiple kingdoms over holding one, that only happens for duchies.

Oh, yeah, Gavelkind succession also gives a bonus to your demesne cap.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Fat Turkey posted:

Well that's true enough. But he is King of three countries (Brittany, Wales and Ireland). But he is only allowed 5 provincrs.?

Make sure you're not holding on to any baronies you don't need, because they're fairly useless to personally hold, as far as I know.

Either that, or divorce your wife and start trolling for those stewardship shawties.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

ninjahedgehog posted:

Make sure you're not holding on to any baronies you don't need, because they're fairly useless to personally hold, as far as I know.

Either that, or divorce your wife and start trolling for those stewardship shawties.

Na holding multiple baronies in your capital is better than holding multiple counties. You get a bonus from in being the capital plus the marshal and steward bonuses apply the all your holding in the county. Plus easier tech management.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Holding baronies is usually pointless unless you are doing a single province demense style. If you have one of those 8 holding provinces and build a ton of castles there, holding the county and all of those castles allows you to sit your marshal/steward there and get ridiculous amounts of troops and taxes. That takes up pretty much your entire demesne cap though, and it's usually inferior to just holding 6 or whatever counties in the long run(if those counties also have a high number of holdings and result in your having a -lot- of direct vassals, although Charlemagne may nerf that I guess).

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Zeron posted:

Holding baronies is usually pointless unless you are doing a single province demense style. If you have one of those 8 holding provinces and build a ton of castles there, holding the county and all of those castles allows you to sit your marshal/steward there and get ridiculous amounts of troops and taxes. That takes up pretty much your entire demesne cap though, and it's usually inferior to just holding 6 or whatever counties in the long run(if those counties also have a high number of holdings and result in your having a -lot- of direct vassals, although Charlemagne may nerf that I guess).
you don't need to go that crazy even one extra gives more benefit, the best way is to have a couple of extra castles a ditch the dead weight counties but keep baronial and mayoral vassals

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
There is a tooltip near where the UI shows the demesne cap that shows the game's explanation.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

jwalrus posted:

I've got a question about the EUIV converter: I remember reading that it was possible to set what realm converts to the HRE, but can't recall the procedure. Can't seem to find it by googling, either. Can anyone give me a rundown of how to do this, or a link to an explanation?

I'm at work so I can't check for sure right now, but I believe it's set in the converter's defines.lua.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I decided to try my hand as Otto, Duke of Saxony in the Old Gods start, and it's a cataclysmic mess ten years in. :psyduck:

First, Charles of West Francia won a lightning war for the East Francian throne.

This pissed off us vassals and some of us demanded Charles give the West Francian throne to the deposed King of East Francia, Ludwig the German. Charles accepted.

So a few years in, Charles the Frank is King of East Francia and Ludwig the German is King of West Francia.

It gets better! I join an independence faction because the foreigner penalties mean everyone hates their new king. Two revolts begin simultaneously: a revolt to put Ludwig back on the East Francian throne, and an independence revolt.

Ludwig gets the East Francian throne back and that revolting faction becomes East Francia. They crush our independence revolt with help from the King of Lotharingia. Then Ludwig the German dies so Ludwig the Younger is King of East Francia.

Meanwhile, the King of Bavaria has absorbed West Francia so that he's now King in both realms and a Kingdom of West Francia no longer exists. It's only 876.

Edit: I found Charles the Bald. He's now Count of Orleans and Baden and a vassal of Ludwig, the King of East Francia.

Edit 2: Now Louis of Aquitaine is my liege and he added the lands of East Francia to his realm.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 12, 2014

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I started as an Andalusian duchess of Provence in 1066. It is now 1328, and I am the Sultan of Burgundy.

I may not have spread territorially (I like playing smaller powers), by my dynasty has spread far and wide. This picture is from 1328, just after my dynasty came into possession of the Byzantine Empire.

You'll notice that my family rules not only sits on the throne of Byzantium, but the Holy Roman Empire. Denmark used to be, but eventually the Hvides came into power. However! Denmark is pretty Andalusia-fied, and the Andalusian Hvides are sitting in Sweden too.

Also of note, Hispania and England are held by an English Empress, who is married to the King of Britanny, so when she kicks it, her Breton daughter takes over. Also, Norrland is still Norse and independent.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a custom map that cuts the game back to pre-ROI? I'd rather opt into India, to be honest that area of the game tends to have little to no bearing on what goes on in Europe. The slowdown lategame is a tad bit frustrating. I'd even cut out Mali if I could, that's another deadzone that has no relevance on the wider game.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Apparently I'm a regent now. Can I do anything cool with that?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Well if you use Steam's beta patch feature you can roll the game back to before RoI's patch.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

YouTuber posted:

Is there a custom map that cuts the game back to pre-ROI? I'd rather opt into India, to be honest that area of the game tends to have little to no bearing on what goes on in Europe. The slowdown lategame is a tad bit frustrating. I'd even cut out Mali if I could, that's another deadzone that has no relevance on the wider game.

If you're playing CK2+, there's apparently a submod that cuts out India and parts of Africa, so I _imagine_ it wouldn't be too hard to do it for vanilla too.

jwalrus
Jul 27, 2007

Rincewind posted:

I'm at work so I can't check for sure right now, but I believe it's set in the converter's defines.lua.

This is indeed the case. Thanks very much!

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Is there a cap to how many tech points you can bank? I'm trying to save all mine until I move my capital to London(well whatever the castle is at least) after forming Brittania or at least getting the holding county. I'm sitting on almost 800 at this point in every category.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta

cheesetriangles posted:

Is there a cap to how many tech points you can bank? I'm trying to save all mine until I move my capital to London(well whatever the castle is at least) after forming Brittania or at least getting the holding county. I'm sitting on almost 800 at this point in every category.

I think you get the tooltip that you can you should pick an advancement, but you should be able to accumulate them. You may get an "ahead penalty" if you're doing too much research, but not sure how that's calculated (date?).

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I'm up to 900 now and don't seem to be taking any penalty or having to spend them. Maybe at 1000 it will stop but maybe not.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

cheesetriangles posted:

I'm up to 900 now and don't seem to be taking any penalty or having to spend them. Maybe at 1000 it will stop but maybe not.

I also have the tendency to save and I have never noticed or seen a penalty to the accumulation of tech points, but I dont think I have ever gone above 1k.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

jerman999 posted:

I think you get the tooltip that you can you should pick an advancement, but you should be able to accumulate them. You may get an "ahead penalty" if you're doing too much research, but not sure how that's calculated (date?).

Ahead penalties only apply to spending the points on tech levels, I don't think he loses out just saving them.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I was up to 1100 points in each category by the time I took London which allowed me to jump to tech 4 military strategy tech 4 legalism and tech whatever keeps and castles. It seems to have been a valid plan.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

God damnit what the gently caress. 2 counties passed out of my realm despite high crown law saying they couldn't. They went to a Karling so it won't be easy to get them back.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

cheesetriangles posted:

God damnit what the gently caress. 2 counties passed out of my realm despite high crown law saying they couldn't. They went to a Karling so it won't be easy to get them back.

High crown laws prevents foreign rulers from inheriting your lands. But if a count or duke already holds lands in your realm and then inherits a higher title outside, you will still lose these counties.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Working on my Rise of Islam mod. Quickly realized that the Charlemagne DLC's tribal mechanics would work wonders for the Arabian desert. Quit working on my Rise of Islam mod.

How much longer until Charlemagne comes out? :negative:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Working on my Rise of Islam mod. Quickly realized that the Charlemagne DLC's tribal mechanics would work wonders for the Arabian desert. Quit working on my Rise of Islam mod.

How much longer until Charlemagne comes out? :negative:

It's both too long AND unknown at the moment. A sad state of affairs.

Also you're not the only one to wait for the next DLC before working more on his mod, if I recall correctly the America mod guy waited until after RoI to make his very successful mod.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I have further to go on my mod before I stop, but if I get there then I'll definitely be waiting. For me it's the winter mechanics, since what I'm doing is primarily about terrain.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Torrannor posted:

Also you're not the only one to wait for the next DLC before working more on his mod, if I recall correctly the America mod guy waited until after RoI to make his very successful mod.

I have been taking a break from CKII but After The End is the first thing I am going to play when I start playing again. I am concerned Charlemagne may gently caress with the mod pretty badly but optimistic it could add a ton of awesome stuff to it as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Being able to turn tribes into baby merchant republics is going to be... interesting.

• Locked thread