Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Crappy Jack posted:

Now I've got this image in my head of Cage living a nice, full life, growing to a ripe old age, passing peacefully in his sleep.

And then waking up again in that helicopter.

I figure that the Omega's body contained the hardware required to reset time and the final reset only occurred for Cage because he was temporarily merged with it, i.e. it was brain-dead from being fragged but the blood linked Cage's mind the Omega's corpse, allowing it to reset. But since Cage went back in it's place, all future loops lack the hardware to cause a reset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Crappy Jack posted:

Now I've got this image in my head of Cage living a nice, full life, growing to a ripe old age, passing peacefully in his sleep.

And then waking up again in that helicopter.

I would think that after a few months your body would filter out and replace your blood naturally, so if you haven't died in that time you would lose the blood power.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Drifter posted:

I would think that after a few months your body would filter out and replace your blood naturally, so if you haven't died in that time you would lose the blood power.

Nah man those midichlorians live FOREVER.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Pander posted:

Nah man those midichlorians live FOREVER.

The element in the mimic blood that allows your to retain your memories during a reset may be non-living. It could be some element or compound that the Omega can "lock on" to as part of the reset process. As a result, it may never be filtered out naturally. It might accumulate in your tissue and continue to function. In that case, after a certain point the ability might not be removable with a blood transfusion. But obviously this is all speculation.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Basically humanity is locked into a dark future where it can never advance past Tom Cruise's natural lifespan.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Cardboard Box A posted:

Basically humanity is locked into a dark future where it can never advance past Tom Cruise's natural lifespan.

You mean.... like REAL LIFE? :monocle:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Harime Nui posted:

You mean.... like REAL LIFE? :monocle:
What if... we're all living AT THE EDGE OF TOMORROW?

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
And all that's left to do is LIVE DIE REPEAT??? :stonk:

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
I just got done watching this movie, and I just wanted to post that I thought it was really good. I hope they keep making Tom Cruise science fiction movies.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Dahbadu posted:

I just got done watching this movie, and I just wanted to post that I thought it was really good. I hope they keep making Tom Cruise science fiction movies.

Good news. Cruise is set to star in another Japanese novel adaptation about fighter pilots battling weird aliens that are emerging from a portal above Antartica.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

That sounds maybe dumb, but after Oblivion and Edge of Tomorrow, there's a good chance it is worth watching twice.

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!

Trump posted:

I'll make my point clear then instead of being snide. You can't compare how Jack Reacher or Knight and Day performed to Edge of Tomorrow. Lower budgets, different expectations, though you could see Jack Reacher as a failure on another level since it was meant as a franchise starter.

For what it's worth, Jack Reacher is indeed getting a sequel because, like Edge of Tomorrow, it's a movie that actually made decent money despite the press calling it a failure. Knight and Day also made pretty big money, but like Edge of Tomorrow it was mostly outside of the US. They seem like okay comparisons to make.

The MSJ posted:

Good news. Cruise is set to star in another Japanese novel adaptation about fighter pilots battling weird aliens that are emerging from a portal above Antartica.

English translations for the Yukikaze novels are on Kindle for pretty cheap, and could potentially make for a good film. But it's by no means a lock. For example,the animated adaptation of Yukikaze is colossally dull garbage, mostly as a result of significant deviations/omissions from the source material. There is no chance in Hell a Tom Cruise movie would go down the path the animated one chose to--which was basically "man is in love with another man, who in turn is in love with his computerized airplane and probably mentally disabled"--but they'd still have to change things up.

Daryl Surat fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Sep 10, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The MSJ posted:

That AMV of Yukikaze they linked was pretty cool - in an I know have epilepsy sort of way.

All kidding aside, it seems like it could be pretty drat fun. It's been a while since there was a good plane fight movie.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The MSJ posted:

So Pacific Rim meets Top Gun?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

computer parts posted:

So Pacific Rim meets Top Gun?

More like Top Gun meets Top Gun. I think they're normal aliens in normal vehicles, not Godzilla wannabees.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Drifter posted:

More like Top Gun meets Top Gun. I think they're normal aliens in normal vehicles, not Godzilla wannabees.

That's pretty funny considering he's making another actual Top Gun.

vvvvvv He created the ads. They featured Rita Vritaski.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 10, 2014

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
If Cage was in ads that led to millions joining the military, why did nobody recognize him?

edit:

kiimo posted:

vvvvvv He created the ads. They featured Rita Vritaski.

You're right, I forgot he was only in the news report at the start and not the ads.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 10, 2014

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
So I was scrolling through my OnDemand today...

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

GonSmithe posted:

So I was scrolling through my OnDemand today...

Live.Die.Repeat has taken the high ground! It's becoming a rout!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Yeah it showed up in my iTunes account as "Live Die Repeat: Edge of Tomorrow".

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Live, Die, Repeat: All You Need is Kill on the Edge of Tomorrow (did we already make this joke?)

The MSJ posted:

Is Tom Cruise really big in Japan or does he just like Japanese SF novels? Because someone should tell this man about Legend of the Galactic Heroes if they haven't already.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Harime Nui posted:

Is Tom Cruise really big in Japan or does he just like Japanese SF novels? Because someone should tell this man about Legend of the Galactic Heroes if they haven't already.

Who would Cruise play in LoGH? A renamed Yang or Reinhardt? Although, thinking about it, him as an older Yang bring his historian hobby into practice versus the up-and-coming young talent Reinhardt played by Michael Fassbinder would be pretty great.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Ideally, Tom Cruise would play Ruenthal. He gets to be crazy ambitious and chew scenery!

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

The MSJ posted:

:allears: Please make all the sci-fi movies you want, Tom Cruise, I will go see every single one of them.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Tom Cruise's Neon Genesis Evangelion.

He plays Gendo.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
"YEUGH GNEEEUUU it was for one purpose I brought you here!"

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
So he's making both Top Gun 2 and Top Gun versus Aliens: Even More Homoerotic Edition?

MonsieurChoc posted:

Tom Cruise's Neon Genesis Evangelion.

He plays Gendo.
Jaden Smith as Shinji

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Cardboard Box A posted:

So he's making both Top Gun 2 and Top Gun versus Aliens: Even More Homoerotic Edition?

Flying straight into the danger zone (of homoeroticism).

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Cardboard Box A posted:

Jaden Smith as Shinji

Such a thing is too good for our sinful world

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Tom Cruise is pretty much the only person keeping sci-fi together and its the best.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The MSJ posted:

Flying straight into the danger zone (of homoeroticism).

There is a character that can accurately be described as "Gay Roy Fokker". He even had the same voice actor in the English dub as Roy Fokker from Robotech.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
I wouldn't mind a prequel where we get to watch Emily Blunt gain the power and become badass as well.

Sorry if it was mentioned earlier in the thread, but is there any speculation or concrete answer as to how many times Cage had to repeat?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I was going to make a stupid joke about fat Ice (cream) Man but now looking at this I think he could actually pull off a big-craniumed smug four star general quite well.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Man, Tom Cruise is on a roll. Again. Or maybe he simply never stopped rolling. First Oblivion, now this. I want more sci-fi Tom Cruise. And I thought Emily Blunt was great. The action sequences were so much fun to watch. You could really feel the weight of those mech-suits in combat.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Sci-fi Tom Cruise also appeared in Minority Report, which was awesome, and War of the Worlds, which would've been so much more awesome without the Spielberg-y kids he got stuck with.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Can we get a thread title change? I have been missing this thread because I had no idea it was about Live Die Repeat

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Harime Nui posted:

Live, Die, Repeat: All You Need is Kill on the Edge of Tomorrow

This has my vote.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I liked this film a lot. Normally I'd hate the ending but gently caress it, Cage put himself through enough to earn it.

Snak posted:

It's helpful to remember that when Cage killed the alpha, he replaced it and it was missing from all subsequent loops.
Also after reading this I think the ending is justified - of course the Omega would have a time reset for itself too, it just dying wouldn't have made much sense. Therefore stealing its blood and taking its place is the only way to get rid of it.

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

This was great. My 14-year old self would have seen this 3 or 4 times in the theater.

I am not familiar with the source material, but I have watched Groundhog Day about 20 times. I wrote this off as "Tom Cruise vs. Aliens movie but this time he's in Groundhog Day". That interpretation is actually astoundingly accurate, but the movie is so well-paced and written (adapted?) that it doesn't matter.

If you hate science fiction and/or Tom Cruise, then you'll obviously want to steer clear of Edge of Tomorrow, but otherwise, it's a pretty great action flick that actually uses the "Groundhog Day" premise to raise the stakes in the last act of the film.

quote:

Sorry if it was mentioned earlier in the thread, but is there any speculation or concrete answer as to how many times Cage had to repeat?

This film makes this impossible to guess with any sort of accuracy, as there are several sequences that we see only a single time (stealing the van).

Un-l337-Pork fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Sep 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Yeah, in the end it's irrelevant but just like Groundhog's Day, you know it was a loving shitload of times because of the cumulative knowledge they reveal and the proficiency in things that take years of practice to perfect.

• Locked thread