Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Bernie is pretty much incredible. Watch it knowing absolutely nothing about it.

Also it's one of those movies where Jack Black isn't playing obnoxious Jack Black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Chichevache posted:

Not on Netflix but Killer Joe is fantastic and is absolutely worth hunting down. Matthew McConaughey gives the performance of a lifetime as a Texas cop who moonlights as a killer for hire.

On Netflix currently is The Cable Guy, starring Jim Carey and Matthew Broderick, directed by Ben Stiller. If you haven't seen it yet I highly recommend it. It isn't as dark as Killer Joe, but it is still a very bleak look at our relationship with television.

I think Alan Partridge might also fit the bill. I half-watched it late at night, so I don't recall too much, but I came away from it surprised by how grim it was and I believe there were a few good laughs.

All three of these movies, incl. Bernie, are pretty entertaining. I definitely wasn't expecting to like Partridge, but even though Coogan is a major dealbreaker for me, it was pretty entertaining. It may not be a super dark comedy, but come in with no expectations and it may surprise you a bit.

Looking at the Comedy section of Netflix, Super, Goon, World's Greatest Dad, Sightseers, Fargo, and Barton Fink are all legit great movies. Some of them get rather dark, as well.

Four Lions is loving great. The Comedy is probably the most uncomfortable movie, but I love it. gently caress I Sell The Dead and Burke & Hare. I legit hate movies where people sell corpses, across the board, though.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Skywalker OG posted:

... but even though Coogan is a major dealbreaker for me, it was pretty entertaining.

What the hell does this even mean?! Steve Coogan is one of the funniest comedians ever, of all time, since the big bang, and probably until the next big bang.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Skywalker OG posted:

gently caress I Sell The Dead and Burke & Hare. I legit hate movies where people sell corpses, across the board, though.

That's a remarkably specific thing to hate.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Doomsday Preppers is now on Netflix! Watch crazy people spend money and act like loons! Im pretty sure somewhere in here a guy shoots off his finger.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

Skywalker OG posted:

The Comedy is probably the most uncomfortable movie, but I love it.

The Comedy will make you want to curl up and loving die, highly recommended.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

bartok posted:

Can anyone recommend a good dark comedy? If it is a Coen brothers movie chances are I have seen it.

In Bruges. It's available for streaming as well.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Inzombiac posted:

On Netflix, can anyone recommend any documentaries on prison systems?
It doesn't seem to be on netflix anymore (I watched it there a year or two ago,) but you can watch it for free online via multiple areas.. The Mark of Cain is a documentary about Russian mob tattoo which moves into the Russian prison system and culture inside.. Before eventually convincing you that Russian prisons are going to kill everyone on the planet by incubating illnesses.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/mark-cain/

bartok posted:

Can anyone recommend a good dark comedy? If it is a Coen brothers movie chances are I have seen it.
The Perfect Host. Simply for seeing David Hyde Pierce do The Car Wash. http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/70129462?trkid=13752289

And then a personal favorite Bad Milo a heartwarming movie about a pathetic loser and the terror that erupts from his rear end at night to enact justice http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/70272904?trkid=13752289 It also stars the baby from the '90s TV comedy series, Dinosaurs!

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 11, 2014

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

Chichevache posted:

Not on Netflix but Killer Joe is fantastic and is absolutely worth hunting down. Matthew McConaughey gives the performance of a lifetime as a Texas cop who moonlights as a killer for hire.

This was available on HBOGo last time I looked. It's worth mentioning that William Friedkin directed this. I think it's some of his best work outside of Blue ChipsExorcist/French Connection.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

fishtobaskets posted:

This was available on HBOGo last time I looked. It's worth mentioning that William Friedkin directed this. I think it's some of his best work outside of Blue ChipsExorcist/French Connection.

Bug is really great if you haven't seen it, so's his 12 Angry Men he did for TV, if you hard up for latter day Friedkin.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Looks like Filth, from the novel by Irvine Welsh, has just been added to the US Netflix (it's been on the UK one for a bit). The title is appropriate, in all meanings of the word.

It's not for everyone, (I loved it when I saw it at the cinema, a few older people walked out) but the central performance, from James McAvoy, is definitely worth your time.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

bartok posted:

There are others I'd recommend first, but none of them are streaming, so...

Super (2010)
Ravenous (1999)
Heathers (1988)

gently caress it, not streaming now but might eventually:

Arsenic and Old Lace (1944)
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)
Harold and Maude (1971)
Serial Mom (1994)
Election (1999)
Death to Smoochy (2002)
Shallow Grave (1994)

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Aww, they took Dr. Strangelove off? That's the quintessential dark comedy.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Adding a modern Dennis Miller stand-up special on 9/11 is kind of a dark comedy in itself

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Looks like Filth, from the novel by Irvine Welsh, has just been added to the US Netflix (it's been on the UK one for a bit). The title is appropriate, in all meanings of the word.

It's not for everyone, (I loved it when I saw it at the cinema, a few older people walked out) but the central performance, from James McAvoy, is definitely worth your time.

Wow, that just came out on DVD too. Nice!

It got some pretty heavily mixed reviews, and I thought that one particular twist worked MUCH better in the in the novel, but on the whole it's a great adaptation of a great Welsh novel and yeah, worth it for McAvoy alone for sure.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Arsenic and Old Lace (1944)

This used to be on streaming (at least I'm pretty sure that's how I watched it), and I was really surprised by how well it held up. Really funny movie. Carey Grant is amazing in it.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

precision posted:

I thought John Dies at the End was just fine for what it was, and certainly enjoyed it more than when I read it while it was still free to read online. The film version was somehow... less full of itself or something.

Is the sequel (novel) even mildly worth checking out?

It is mildly worth checking out, especially if you liked the first book.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Leper Residue posted:

This used to be on streaming (at least I'm pretty sure that's how I watched it), and I was really surprised by how well it held up. Really funny movie. Carey Grant is amazing in it.

I think I remember it on Amazon Prime.

okcupid_exgf
Oct 22, 2012

bartok posted:

Big Bad Wolves . it's an Israeli movie that is super dark but had really great comedic relief. Here's the trailer http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GsfzhiW5l8c

Oh and Sightseers its about a couple who travels together but the boyfriend gets pissed off at anyone who treats him or his girlfriend poorly with their death... Hilarious dark and romantic

okcupid_exgf fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Sep 12, 2014

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

okcupid_exgf posted:

Big Bad Wolves . it's an Israeli movie that is super dark but had really great comedic relief. Here's the trailer http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GsfzhiW5l8c

The audio in this move, musical and otherwise, is amazing. I thought the movie peaked with the opening scene though.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Is Assets any good? I really like The Americans for reference.

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Jerked my republican dick to Death Wish yesterday. It was cool to see a very young Jeff Goldblum make an appearance.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Pycckuu posted:

Jerked my republican dick to Death Wish yesterday. It was cool to see a very young Jeff Goldblum make an appearance.

It is really amazing. Make sure to check out Death Wish 3.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Pycckuu posted:

drat, they took down Death Wish 3. Go track it down for something maybe even more Republican to jerk your dick off to.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Skywalker OG posted:

drat, they took down Death Wish 3. Go track it down for something maybe even more Republican to jerk your dick off to.

I sort of want to recommend a 1997 movie called The Rage. It's a movie where a gang of rapist/murderers is portrayed as somehow less evil than the FBI/Federal Government under Clinton. Some cool car chase stuff, though.

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!
Checked out Lords of Dogtown yesterday, dug it quite a bit. No clue how accurate it was, but thought it had some pretty solid performances. I figure it just means I finally have to watch Dogtown and Z Boys to see how it measures up.

Followed that up with Re-Animator cause it's been years and variety is the spice of life!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Dogtown and Z-Boys is my preferred film of the two.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I thought Lords was worth seeing for Ledger's performance, but the rest was kind of forgettable.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The Machine owns.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The Machine owns.

I agree. Though it out lens flares Abram's Star Trek, they were able to keep a consistently unnerving atmosphere. The influences are blatant but at least they are the right ones.

Liked it quite a bit.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
One of the better references is the Black Mirror episode "Be Right Back".

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!

morestuff posted:

I thought Lords was worth seeing for Ledger's performance, but the rest was kind of forgettable.

Ledger was pretty great. Didn't even realize it was him for a bit. I thought Emile Hirsch was pretty solid too though. The rest of it, eh, it sucked me in. Definitely got weird when they hurried the timeline out of nowhere though.

Dogtown and Z-Boys is my preferred film of the two.

I'm definitely planning on watching Dogtown and Z-Boys here soon. I didn't expect total accuracy out of Lords, so I think it'll be pretty interesting to see the differences.

This morning, I watched Kid Cannabis, based on a the true story of an 18 year old dropout who setup a massive pot smuggling ring. Netflix recommended as a comedy, but it did not strike me as much of a comedy at all. Was fairly serious throughout, but had some laughs. So, maybe dramedy? I dunno. That said, I wasn't blown away and it was never very exciting, yet I found myself pretty interested to see where the story was headed. Might be worth your while if you have some time to kill. Or a bowl to smoke.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Skywalker OG posted:

I agree. Though it out lens flares Abram's Star Trek, they were able to keep a consistently unnerving atmosphere. The influences are blatant but at least they are the right ones.

Liked it quite a bit.
I don't consider lens flare to be a bad thing in either film. It would be pretty lame if every movie used the same techniques.

Here's a relevant video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FOzD4Sfgag

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
So I watched Lair of the White Worm and for some reason I loved every minute of it. It's such a strange, bad, fantastic movie.

Peter Capaldi's bagpipe scene was amazing.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Machine owns.

Did they ever explain why the group of robots set the other one on fire with gasoline? I put CC on and re-watched the scene but nothing was really said.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Did they ever explain why the group of robots set the other one on fire with gasoline? I put CC on and re-watched the scene but nothing was really said.

I think they said something about planning a rebellion, and presumably that dude wasn't on board. Either way it wasn't very clear.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Just watched Cannibal: the Musical. Really silly and low budget early Trey Parker thing.

Really enjoyed it because I like dumb poo poo. There's a Native American tribe called the Nihon jin. That's the level this thing operates at.

It has a bit of a Troma feel to it but make no mistake it doesn't even come close to the greatest musical of all time, Poultrygeist.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Skywalker OG posted:

Just watched Cannibal: the Musical. Really silly and low budget early Trey Parker thing.

Really enjoyed it because I like dumb poo poo. There's a Native American tribe called the Nihon jin. That's the level this thing operates at.

It has a bit of a Troma feel to it but make no mistake it doesn't even come close to the greatest musical of all time, Poultrygeist.

If you can, try to track down the DVD version with the commentary track. It is one of the funniest commentary tracks I have ever heard. It's just Trey and Matt drinking an entire bottle of whiskey and lashing out against ex-girlfriends, etc. who thought they wouldn't be successfull.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Invaders From Mars is a weird movie. It starts promisingly enough, but the plot really falls apart in the second half with way too many contrivances and cute coincidences. I don't really get what audience they were targeting for this either. I assume kids around the protagonists age were a focus (and they probably wouldn't mind the script falling apart in the second half), but as someone mentioned earlier, the monsters in this are pure nightmare fuel for impressionable kids. I know it would have scarred me if I saw it at the right age...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

david_a posted:

Invaders From Mars is a weird movie. It starts promisingly enough, but the plot really falls apart in the second half with way too many contrivances and cute coincidences. I don't really get what audience they were targeting for this either. I assume kids around the protagonists age were a focus (and they probably wouldn't mind the script falling apart in the second half), but as someone mentioned earlier, the monsters in this are pure nightmare fuel for impressionable kids. I know it would have scarred me if I saw it at the right age...

I did see it a the right age, and it did scare the poo poo out of me. I also loved it. It's the same with Ghostbusters and Gremlins; that kind of film was pretty common in the 80's. Back then filmmakers seemed to understand that children could take and even enjoy a good amount of horror, as long as they left out the gore.

• Locked thread