Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!
Well if you ever wanted to try Solium Infernum again, I'd be up for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Frankly I'm a scumbag, I'll get my turns out tonight. :negative:

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Next time I'm gonna tell greyhunter to drive your tank right into a bog.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Gorgo Primus posted:

Well if you ever wanted to try Solium Infernum again, I'd be up for it.

Yeah, I'd be happy to set up another game with some new folks and whoever wants to stay on from the current one when it's done.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Just started playing Armageddon Empires from the humble bundle sale, are there any online resources or hints for planning a deck, particularly a 175 point Empire of Men deck? I've only played a couple of games so far but the premade starter decks seem a bit lacking.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I can't vouch for how good or bad it is, but Battleplan American Civil War is on sale as a weekly deal on Steam fo $5.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Zaodai posted:

I can't vouch for how good or bad it is, but Battleplan American Civil War is on sale as a weekly deal on Steam fo $5.

I spent 5 minutes on the demo, shrugged and bought it. I know I'm not going to feel like I got robbed but beyond that it's a bit early for impressions.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

moot the hopple posted:

Just started playing Armageddon Empires from the humble bundle sale, are there any online resources or hints for planning a deck, particularly a 175 point Empire of Men deck? I've only played a couple of games so far but the premade starter decks seem a bit lacking.

Can't point to any specific resources to help you out there, but I can offer a little advice.

- Go to 225 point decks to start with - 175 is super-limited and forces you to make tighter strategic decisions, which is not so great for a beginner. If you do go with a 175 point deck, you're pretty much going to need a specialized strategy in mind going in.

- Generally start building a deck by going to your heroes first - you pretty much always want any heroes that offer deck bonuses, for instance, as well as at least two battle commanders and preferably a few scouts and someone to cover both technology and genetics.

- Follow that up with facilities - remember that while spares are often a good idea in case you lose your one and only research lab, if you overload on facilities it's not uncommon to end up with a hand full of facilities you can't or don't want to play. Be sure to get an intel center or two in there, as they're super-handy for their AP bonus alone. For a careful player, two of each of the HQ facilities (research, training), two of the strongholds and three of the outposts should be enough unless you're playing with super-large map sizes. It's perfectly viable to run closer to the wire with just one of each of your HQ facilities, though, and if you're running a 175-point deck you probably can't afford redundancies everywhere.

- Finally, round out your deck with the units you want. Keep in mind that infantry has some special bonuses thanks to the Tip of the Spear free expansion and you always want a few rolling around with your main army (check the Cryptic Comet website to look up those bonuses if you don't know them, they're pretty vital). Also remember that if you go in with only the best units, there's good odds that you'll end up crippled early on thanks to not having enough resources to deploy any of the superunits clogging up your hand, so be sure to toss in a few affordable units for early armies and garrisons.

- Having spent all your points, now is the time to go over your deck as a whole and see if there's any notable weaknesses you need to plug or anything excess in your earlier choices that you can trim in favor of something more useful.

- Do not skimp on recon. Knowing what the hell is out there and being aware of approaching enemy armies before they're right at your gates is vitally important, as is catching enemy assassins before they murder all your HQ heroes. Heroes and commando stealth units are great for exploring what lies beyond your borders, stealth recon in difficult terrain at strategic locations is a great way to pick up enemy armies before they hit you directly, and a few unstealthed recon on and around your HQ is vital for keeping out enemy heroes.

- When choosing your army, it's worth noting that in a late-game straight-up slugfest, high-defense superunits backed by the best infantry you can afford and equip are key. Rolling into a straight battle without a bunch of top of the line units is unlikely to go well for you. That said, there ARE ways to beat an army short of a direct, stand-up slugfest - assassination or taking them out of supply being the best methods. Plan your strategy and your deck appropriately.

- The Empire of Man is a very flexible faction with a lot of strengths and few outstanding weaknesses. They have an excellent if straightforward research arm, being capable of supercharging their heroes (including their researchers!) as well as providing a wide array of direct combat enhancements to improve their late-game armies. They also have an outstanding air arm - their stealth bombers in particular can work with their FAC units to blow the living hell out of almost anything with impunity (though like all air units they're a little lacking against superunits). To round things off, they have what is probably the best saboteur in the game. It's hard to go very far wrong in building an Empire of Man deck overall.

- It's worth remembering that the more cards you have, the less likely you are to draw the specific card you want in play. Building an enormous 275 point deck can actually be problematic if you end up waiting forever to draw your one research facility card. If your strategy leans heavily on certain kinds of heroes, units or facilities, be sure to throw in some redundancies to ensure that your strategy can go off without being bottlenecked somewhere.

- In general, don't worry too much about building the perfect deck to begin with and just roll out with something that more or less works. The more experience you get in actually playing the game, the better the decks you'll learn to build and the more they'll fit in with your actual game strategy.

Hope this helps!

Tomn fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Sep 9, 2014

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Cool, this is all very useful, thanks.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Battle Academy 2 is out, anyone up for a multiplayer game?

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

dtkozl posted:

Battle Academy 2 is out, anyone up for a multiplayer game?

I will when it comes to iPad.

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
I bought combat mission RT because it was too tempting for my inner sperg but one quick question, how do you keep your troops for being fatigued so quickly? And what can I do to recover fatigue once my elite guards are worn out?

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

RestRoomLiterature- posted:

I bought combat mission RT because it was too tempting for my inner sperg but one quick question, how do you keep your troops for being fatigued so quickly? And what can I do to recover fatigue once my elite guards are worn out?

Why are they getting fatigued? I've never really had that problem in Combat Mission.

The most likely answer would be, "Don't make them run/crawl/etc. everywhere." For a ton of Combat Mission scenarios, you are supposed to spend a number of turns slowly (i.e. not running everywhere) getting your units to where the action is likely to be.

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular

SlyFrog posted:

Why are they getting fatigued? I've never really had that problem in Combat Mission.

The most likely answer would be, "Don't make them run/crawl/etc. everywhere." For a ton of Combat Mission scenarios, you are supposed to spend a number of turns slowly (i.e. not running everywhere) getting your units to where the action is likely to be.

I am using the slow function a lot so they don't get spotted, but I suppose this is the wrong answer?

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

I am using the slow function a lot so they don't get spotted, but I suppose this is the wrong answer?

Very wrong. Slow makes your pixeltruppen get on their bellies and crawl everywhere. The only way to tire them out faster is to give them the Fast command, which is a sprint.

Move is a walk, Quick is a jog. Use those in about a 2:1 ratio and fatigue won't be an issue.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Move is regular walking. Standing straight and just going for a normal walk, barely tires.
Quick is jogging, tiring over distances or long periods of time.
Hunt is slowly walking while looking for enemies, much more tiring than the move command.
Slow is crawling, pulling yourself along on your elbows and pushing with your feet. Incredibly tiring over even short distances, crawling for more than a few minutes is exhausting.
Fast is a sprint, as fast as you can go and impossible while tired. Your guys will quickly drop out of Fast into Quick if you give them a distance that's too long.

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
Thanks for the replies, while I have you here anyone want to explain how to have my mortar team target and enemy and fire, obviously the normal target function does not apply.

Literally bought the game 30 minutes ago and while I can appreciate a good manual I'm not slogging through 100 something pages, I rather let my guys get slaughter a few times and learn fighting the fascist invaders

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
One of the manuals has a tutorial where it takes you through a series of tutorial missions that breaks down how to call artillery, what all the commands do, basic infantry tactics etc etc. You should really play that tutorial while reading that section of the manual.

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular

uPen posted:

One of the manuals has a tutorial where it takes you through a series of tutorial missions that breaks down how to call artillery, what all the commands do, basic infantry tactics etc etc. You should really play that tutorial while reading that section of the manual.

Fair enough thank you

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

I can see why it would surprise you that "Slow" is tiring, given that it would seem to lead to the opposite.

Yeah, as mentioned otherwise, "Slow" doesn't really mean just walk slowly, it means be very cautious and move stealthily. (Which reasonably is probably far more tiring than just normal walking or even light jogging.)

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

uPen posted:

Move is regular walking. Standing straight and just going for a normal walk, barely tires.
Quick is jogging, tiring over distances or long periods of time.
Hunt is slowly walking while looking for enemies, much more tiring than the move command.
Slow is crawling, pulling yourself along on your elbows and pushing with your feet. Incredibly tiring over even short distances, crawling for more than a few minutes is exhausting.
Fast is a sprint, as fast as you can go and impossible while tired. Your guys will quickly drop out of Fast into Quick if you give them a distance that's too long.

One other tip, regular infantry guys carrying rifles can move quick for quite awhile without tiring. Dudes carrying heavy stuff like heavy machine guns, flamethrowers, or anti-tank rifles are far more susceptible to fatigue.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

While we're on the topic of Combat Mission, if I could only afford to buy one of the Combat Missions games, which one would y'all recommend?

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
I would get red thunder because you don't have to deal with the version 3.0 that is going on with normandy and italy, but if you like the subject matter for the previous ones obviously that is the way to go. Always go with what you are interested in.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The only real use for 'slow' I've found is to move troops that final bit of the way to the crest of a hill/edge of a forest so they can position themselves without getting shot up.

If you want to not be spotted then the trick is to get the camera down on the deck and take your guys on a route that's shielded from enemy line-of-sight.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Invite a friend now works on Ultimate General: Gettysburg!

Goon playoffs?

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular

Alchenar posted:

Invite a friend now works on Ultimate General: Gettysburg!

Goon playoffs?

I'm down

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
Have they fixed the horrible desync yet? My friend and I played a couple games, we're seeing different things and had different battle results

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice
Is Germany at War any good?

Looks like a more involved Panzer General/Corps

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

axelord posted:

Is Germany at War any good?

Looks like a more involved Panzer General/Corps

Same gameplay but units and maps are historical. It is okay, but I had a save bug down a campaign and had trouble playing past that.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Have they fixed the horrible desync yet? My friend and I played a couple games, we're seeing different things and had different battle results

Someone finally made a game with a Historical Perception mode? Cool!.

Anyone play Tank Operations: European Campaign? I just got it through the Humble Bundle and am curious as to quality/grognard level.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Is To End All Wars any good?

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

cheesetriangles posted:

I wouldn't call any Ageod game 'good'. But Ageod games are worthwhile if they model a particular period or war you are interested in. If you can persevere with the crappy engine and bad UI, there is actually a lot of (too much) detail that you'll appreciate if you have been reading about the same topic. I fired up Pride of Nations the other day to play the Russo-Japanese War scenario because I had been reading about the battle of Tsushima and I had a blast.

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist
FYI Ultimate General just got a new update.

cheesetriangles posted:

Eh... IMO it's kinda good but also riddled with all the things that make AGEOD games frustrating.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Can someone give me a good rundown of AGEOD games? There are so many with cool settings. I just hear the caution here.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

It really does take some passion about the setting to get over the engine. The engine is very good at simulating operational-level war, and it can be a lot of fun once you've figured it out. But you'll need that setting hook to make it over the initial hump.

I really like Alea Jacta Est and Revolution Under Siege, I think they work the best with the AGE engine.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I think Birth of America 2 is the best of the AGE games.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Vahakyla posted:

Can someone give me a good rundown of AGEOD games? There are so many with cool settings. I just hear the caution here.

The thing about Ageod games is that they all use the exact same engine. At its most basic, AGE games just consist of dragging and dropping containers of units around the map. One cool thing the engine does is allow you to set the 'stance' of each container to attack or defend. If two enemy containers are in one territory, but they are both set to 'defend' then they will just sit there. There doesn't automatically have to be a battle.

The other significant feature of the engine is that it models the OOB relationship between containers. Each container needs a leader, and that leader will get bonuses depending on what other container it is attached to. The detail of this relationship changes from game to game.

Once you get those parts, the rest of the interface is not too bad, but it's just chore to click around and understand why things are happening. The other issue is that the combat is really, really detailed, so modelling everything that is going on takes a long time. Later games started getting too big for the engine to handle and can easy take 5 minutes to resolve a turn.

One of their first games was Ageod's American Civil War (AACW) which was (for a grog game) a smash hit. The ACW is the sweet spot for Ageod games in that it simulates operational level warfare over relatively small area with little economic crap to worry about. For a long time the only two ACW games at this level were AACW and Forge of Freedom and most people preferred AACW.

After AACW they began branching out - Birth of America (BOA) and BOA II which were set in the War of Independence. I've never played these. But I think the general opinion was they were alright, but not as good as AACW.

Moving to Europe, they made 'Napoleon's Campaigns' (NC). This game does my head in because it is basically a 'leadership OOB' simulator. Sorting all your armies into the correct command chains is the key part of the game, but is really just tedious. (The sequel to NC was being developed by Ageod and Paradox when Ageod was, for a while, Paradox France. But the relationship didn't work out and NC2 became 'March of the Eagles' which is decidedly not an Ageod game).

Then they made Rise of Prussia (ROP) which by all accounts is a much better game than NC and dials back a lot of the OOB malarky - but I was never that interested in Frederick the Great so haven't played it much.

I think after ROP came Pride of Nations (PON), which was meant to be the Ageod version of Victoria. Instead of just modelling operational warfare, they included economic and diplomacy systems for the entire world. The game went from 1850 to 1920 in 14 days turns, with each turn taking several minutes to resolve. Pretty much unplayable in the grand campaign, it did come with several DLC that had small, operational scenarios like the Boer War and the Spanish-American War that were fun to play.

Then they made Civil War 2, which is basically AACW with better graphics and a (slightly) upgraded engine.

Finally there's To End All Wars. From what I hear it is also a slog to get through.

Ageod (aka the two Phillipes) have licensed the engine to other people to make games on it. Some of these, like World War One Gold, are really bad. But they also made:

Revolution under Siege (RUS) a game about the Russian Civil War which is almost the only game on this topic out there, apart from a scenario in Strategic Command: Breakthrough!.

Espana - a Spanish Civil War game - ditto with RUS.

Alea Jacta Est - a Roman Civil War game. Lots of people say this is the best Ageod game, but I don't really like it. It has a bunch of DLC for it as well.

Once you get used to the system, it's pretty easy to jump into another title and get going. But there is really little reason to if there is another game out there on the subject. For some titles, like RUS, that's all you have so you should stick to it. For other games like PON, just go play Victoria 2.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

V for Vegas posted:

Then they made Rise of Prussia (ROP) which by all accounts is a much better game than NC and dials back a lot of the OOB malarky - but I was never that interested in Frederick the Great so haven't played it much.

When RoP came out, I was in the middle of a Prussia kick, and stayed awake for about 50 or 60 hours playing a single game. That's how fun the games can be, and that's how long it can take to play 7 years of 2-week turns.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
V for Vegas nails it: the AGEOD system is about putting troops inside "containers", making sure that the right containers are at the right place at the right time (force concentration), making sure that the container that's about to fight is lead by a good commander, and making sure that your containers can trace a supply path.

I would just like to throw in that the Birth of America games are usually regarded as a good introductory to the system because they don't have the Division/Corps/Army mechanics that the ACW game has, and the limited scope of the war being modeled keeps the scenarios small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
If I have played one AGEOD game, have I played all of them?