Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Joementum posted:

They are all from New York, so yeah.

You don't get loads of flatlanders from Connecticut? CT license plates used to be only somewhat less frequent than NY ones back when I was still in the NEK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

My favorite foster-care horror story are the people who adopt disabled kids in states that pay subsidies for that, move to a different state where they can dump the kid into an institution on the state dime, and keep raking in the checks from the first state.
If you want to make sadface, check out our latest row here. It's not foster care, exactly, but in the vicinity, and it's got everything - international intrigue, pedophiles, a lying surrogate, a mentally disabled baby - everything.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-28732511

EDIT: Oh and Aussies, mate. Defo.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Sep 13, 2014

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

My Imaginary GF posted:

Meisler, you say?

E: :stare: Wow, did the scientologists kill his wife/daughter?

What am I seeing here? Meisler used a dodgy police source?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

So, I haven't spent much time on the East Coast, but I did do a little road tripping through the area and I remember eastern Pennsylvania and upstate New York being full of trees. Now I thought Vermont was nice, but as an ignorant person from the West Coast, why are the trees supposed to be so much better there then the millions of other trees that are closer to where they live?

Because the leaves reach roughly peak color at these times:

As time moves on, the peepers move on to the next color band...

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

euphronius posted:

Pedophiles are people too. Be nice.

right, I've kept my mouth shut because it's hosed up how society goes batshit about sex offenders but on the other hand argggggggh so creepy

is Mt. Tom still open, the waterpark there was the poo poo when I was a kid

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

What am I seeing here? Meisler used a dodgy police source?

Meisler didn't have connections to Belgian intelligence.

E: Keep that in mind when referring to his possible bias, the fog of truth, and modern knowledge.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Captain_Maclaine posted:

You don't get loads of flatlanders from Connecticut? CT license plates used to be only somewhat less frequent than NY ones back when I was still in the NEK.

I refuse to acknowledge that there is a difference between New York and Connecticut. :colbert:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

My Imaginary GF posted:

Meisler didn't have connections to Belgian intelligence.

E: Keep that in mind when referring to his possible bias, the fog of truth, and modern knowledge.

"Henry, there's something I would like to tell you, for what it's worth, something I wish I had been told years ago. You've been a consultant for a long time, and you've dealt a great deal with top secret information. But you're about to receive a whole slew of special clearances, maybe fifteen or twenty of them, that are higher than top secret.

"I've had a number of these myself, and I've known other people who have just acquired them, and I have a pretty good sense of what the effects of receiving these clearances are on a person who didn't previously know they even existed. And the effects of reading the information that they will make available to you.

"First, you'll be exhilarated by some of this new information, and by having it all — so much! incredible! — suddenly available to you. But second, almost as fast, you will feel like a fool for having studied, written, talked about these subjects, criticized and analyzed decisions made by presidents for years without having known of the existence of all this information, which presidents and others had and you didn't, and which must have influenced their decisions in ways you couldn't even guess. In particular, you'll feel foolish for having literally rubbed shoulders for over a decade with some officials and consultants who did have access to all this information you didn't know about and didn't know they had, and you'll be stunned that they kept that secret from you so well.

"You will feel like a fool, and that will last for about two weeks. Then, after you've started reading all this daily intelligence input and become used to using what amounts to whole libraries of hidden information, which is much more closely held than mere top secret data, you will forget there ever was a time when you didn't have it, and you'll be aware only of the fact that you have it now and most others don't....and that all those other people are fools.

"Over a longer period of time — not too long, but a matter of two or three years — you'll eventually become aware of the limitations of this information. There is a great deal that it doesn't tell you, it's often inaccurate, and it can lead you astray just as much as the New York Times can. But that takes a while to learn.

"In the meantime it will have become very hard for you to learn from anybody who doesn't have these clearances. Because you'll be thinking as you listen to them: 'What would this man be telling me if he knew what I know? Would he be giving me the same advice, or would it totally change his predictions and recommendations?' And that mental exercise is so torturous that after a while you give it up and just stop listening. I've seen this with my superiors, my colleagues....and with myself.

"You will deal with a person who doesn't have those clearances only from the point of view of what you want him to believe and what impression you want him to go away with, since you'll have to lie carefully to him about what you know. In effect, you will have to manipulate him. You'll give up trying to assess what he has to say. The danger is, you'll become something like a moron. You'll become incapable of learning from most people in the world, no matter how much experience they may have in their particular areas that may be much greater than yours."

....Kissinger hadn't interrupted this long warning. As I've said, he could be a good listener, and he listened soberly. He seemed to understand that it was heartfelt, and he didn't take it as patronizing, as I'd feared. But I knew it was too soon for him to appreciate fully what I was saying. He didn't have the clearances yet.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Joementum posted:

I refuse to acknowledge that there is a difference between New York and Connecticut. :colbert:

Lived in both, this is so unbelievably wrong.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Solution: Include all information in the library.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Joementum posted:

The main difference is the gas is 50 cents more expensive a gallon yet the roads are in 50% worse shape

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

how long does it take to commute from New Hampshire to Boston? because apparently multiple professors that i have do this and i'm curious how long they take the train and commuter rail for and the effect on their sanity

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

how long does it take to commute from New Hampshire to Boston? because apparently multiple professors that i have do this and i'm curious how long they take the train and commuter rail for and the effect on their sanity

Southern NH has a ton of transplants that jumped the border for tax reasons but commute down to Boston for work. In practice, one you clear the tolls on I93 it's about half an hour in depending on traffic, longer if you're loving nuts determined to drive downtown.

As to the commuter train options I can't say, as I had no reason to use that when I lived in Sommerville for a few years.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Daily rail commutes are awesome. Perfect time to nap an hour, read, browse tinder, catch up on emails - whaddevahya wanna do

E:

Realchat I just love watching DW Journal for nightly news. Its just so...quaint.

"Why would anyone want to go back 400 years before we had specialty care," this dad asks. Yes, German Dad-dude, I agree with you.

E2:

Ah. My takeaway is that these anti-modernist rejections occur due to no feeling of ownership over the course of life outside the direct control over one's bodily agency. I see now. Very German.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Sep 13, 2014

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
I picked up a copy of Boys On The Bus at the library because, hey, never read it, seminal piece. I love that "gay marriage" is always in quotation marks and haven't seen the word Chicano in a long time. Also confirms everything I always assumed about David Broder and Bob Novak.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

mooyashi posted:

I picked up a copy of Boys On The Bus at the library because, hey, never read it, seminal piece. I love that "gay marriage" is always in quotation marks and haven't seen the word Chicano in a long time. Also confirms everything I always assumed about David Broder and Bob Novak.

Out of curiosity, where are you living? Chicano gets used often enough here in Southern California.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

The Warszawa posted:

Lived in both, this is so unbelievably wrong.
ALLOW ME TO MEDIATE. I think NY has every kind of CT person. I don't think CT has every kind of NY person. But when it comes to "foliage tourism" or whatever they're probably indistinguishable.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
It's been a regular thing for most of my life for me to visit western Maine, but I've never really done the fall foliage thing. Once I visited in mid-September but I barely remember. It's sad because I live in southern California now and fall is basically a meaningless concept, the trees drop their leaves just kind of whenever.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

StandardVC10 posted:

It's been a regular thing for most of my life for me to visit western Maine, but I've never really done the fall foliage thing. Once I visited in mid-September but I barely remember. It's sad because I live in southern California now and fall is basically a meaningless concept, the trees drop their leaves just kind of whenever.

Uh, obviously fall is the single week the Santa Ana's blow through town and everything bursts into a raging inferno. Honestly leaves changing color seems boring in comparison.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
gently caress y'all i'm planting tulip bulbs next week

gently caress off with this leaf poo poo

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Out of curiosity, where are you living? Chicano gets used often enough here in Southern California.

Denver. I thought it had been relegated to obscurity. To be fair, the book is from the early seventies.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
DEMVER

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

:eyepop:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

:stare: Someone needs to get that lady to a chiropractor, something very bad has happened to her everything.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Joementum posted:

There is no reason to apologize for this. Ben & Jerry's is delicious and the free factory tour comes with an ice cream sample at the end. Cherry Garcia is the best flavor and I'm sorry if you disagree with this because you are wrong.

This is only true because they stopped making Oatmeal Cookie Chunk. :colbert:

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Hedera Helix posted:

This is only true because they stopped making Oatmeal Cookie Chunk. :colbert:

What???

this is terrible news that was the best

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Americone Dream. :colbert:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

zakharov posted:

What???

this is terrible news that was the best

Do you want the business answer, or the optimistic answer?

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

:stare: Someone needs to get that lady to a chiropractor, something very bad has happened to her everything.

I think she needs some iodine too

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

mooyashi posted:

I think she needs

A bullet in the head to end the suffering.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

Nintendo Kid posted:

I'm in the middle of that late October band and I remember serious concern over the government shutdown and people not being able to go to national parks while they see the leaves.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

i have some issues with this color scale

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Badger of Basra posted:

i have some issues with this color scale

Wait a few weeks.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Quality levels in all threads are going through the roof right now

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
leaf peepers should be shot upon entrance to a northeastern state for being too lame to let live. Trees are loving every where if you need to get off by seeing them in a different color. Holy gently caress at least say you're going antiquing to appear slightly less boring.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Does anyone have a link handy to that news story about how, if you don't invoke your 5th amendment rights and don't talk to the cops, your silence can be used as evidence of guilt? I think I saw it in the USPol thread and I need it for elsewhere.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
That's one Dallas Cowboys star away from South Texas there.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
that girl's back is more hosed up than mine is

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Man gently caress leaves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ReindeerF posted:

That's one Dallas Cowboys star away from South Texas there.

Is the implication that she was run over by the truck?

• Locked thread