Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

bullet3 posted:

Pretty awesome looking R-rated sci-fi action movie starring Antonio Banderas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHg8lKk3vJo
Getting major District 9 vibes. Where did this come from and how have we heard nothing about it? Visually it looks great

Holy poo poo, could this be a good Asimov movie finally?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

bullet3 posted:

Pretty awesome looking R-rated sci-fi action movie starring Antonio Banderas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHg8lKk3vJo
Getting major District 9 vibes. Where did this come from and how have we heard nothing about it? Visually it looks great

Banderas has done some very interesting movies recently plus the Expendables.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Mr. Squishy posted:

I, Robot Automata. To be honest I think another attempt at the source material isn't totally unwarrented.

Yeah it really looked like the same movie at the beginning there. But this looks like the movie that I, Robot should have been.

Wonder if Antonio will wear a sweet pair of converse

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
This and Niell Blomkamp's Chappie have me very excited. Which will be better, Antonio BanDekard or Die Antwoord?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

sbaldrick posted:

He was the best part of Expendables 3. Probably the only good part.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

He was the best part of Expendables 3. Probably the only good part.

Snipes and Gibson were good too but yeah.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'm not hard for Automata like a lot of you seem to be but it does look good overall. The whole "that's like saying you are just an ape" line really seemed sub-par to me, like we have creatives who have a great visual direction and a sense of Asimov's work but lack the scientific knowledge to actually bring it to proper life. I mean it's not a terrible line, but it struck me as a pretty weak analogy at a moment when the trailer and likely the movie really needs to be smart.

The robot voices and music reminded me a LOT of that Deus Ex: Human Revolution trailer too.

My money is that Chappie will be a lot better.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

mind the walrus posted:

I'm not hard for Automata like a lot of you seem to be but it does look good overall. The whole "that's like saying you are just an ape" line really seemed sub-par to me, like we have creatives who have a great visual direction and a sense of Asimov's work but lack the scientific knowledge to actually bring it to proper life. I mean it's not a terrible line, but it struck me as a pretty weak analogy at a moment when the trailer and likely the movie really needs to be smart.
Yeah, that line did stand out to me. The analogy would work better for me if you replaced ape with animal, though that's not saying it could not be improved further by rewriting the line/scene entirely.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The ape line works pretty well since it challenges whether humans would actually care about intelligence and sentience in another being or if we only care about other humans. That's Planet of the Apes in a nutshell. Humans and apes are already so similar that we should care for apes more, and yet even when apes close the gap by speaking our own language back at us we still don't give a poo poo about them.

Also, I'm loving that this is coming out with Ultron set to be the big Avengers villain. Should be interesting to compare and contrast.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Speaking of trailers I've only found the audio and a description for the Comic-Con trailer for Age of Ultron, but even with just audio it's fantastic. Spader is already killing it.

Here you didn't get this from me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgk3dley4xY

The crowd predictably doesn't shut up at all during the fun opening half, but the AMAZING musical cue in the second half is kept intact.

The trailer began with the familiar heroes (including War Machine) dressed in casual all hanging out at Avengers Tower and attempting to lift Thor’s hammer… without much success. Only Captain America is able to move it (slightly) and Thor’s concerned facial expression is priceless until he smiles when Rogers gives up. The exercise is interrupted by the appearance of Ultron, in a broken down, almost skeletal form with silver armor plating haphazardly forming his upper hunched torso. He proclaims,“There’s only one path to peace: your extinction.” The heroes all stand up facing him and Thor picks up his hammer. This opening was followed by a montage of action shots of selected quotes from the movie, including Tony Stark saying that what happens in the movie is “the end of the path I started us on.” The trailer then offered a first look at the movie’s version of the Hulkbuster armor in action in multiple scenes, and Ultron delivered the excellent line “There are no strings on me.” The trailer concluded with Tony standing in a wasteland with the rest of the Avengers lying on the ground looking a lot worse for wear. Captain America’s shield was broken in half. They were seemingly dead.

Much of the footage featured scenes of The Avengers using their abilities in locations around the world. There was a large emphasis on Iron Man suiting up in the larger Hulkbuster suit which forms around the main suit and him fighting Hulk. Hulk throws a car at the Hulkbuster in one shot and as the car hits him, Hulk punches it into him further. A scene later in the sizzle reel highlighted the mechanisms on the Hulkbuster arms that seem to lock into place to give Iron Man more strength as he and the Hulk punch each other and lock fists.

The first time the crowd goes wild it's because Rhodey shows up and tries to help Stark pick up Thor's hammer, and they're both wearing their armor on their arms.. The second time they go absolutely batshit is written up in my first spoiler. Around 0:45 you can hear Banner beating his chest and roaring as he fails to pick up the hammer, followed by a beat where none of his teammates find the joke funny.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Aug 22, 2014

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Even from Spader's audio, I can tell he's gonna own. Own own own.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Lobok posted:

The ape line works pretty well since it challenges whether humans would actually care about intelligence and sentience in another being or if we only care about other humans. That's Planet of the Apes in a nutshell. Humans and apes are already so similar that we should care for apes more, and yet even when apes close the gap by speaking our own language back at us we still don't give a poo poo about them.
Maybe you're right, though the way I interpreted the line when I heard it was precisely the movie saying humans are fundamentally different and unique from all other life, apes included. I suppose that might not be the most generous interpretation, but the line just didn't work for me. The fact the movie has already added a new sapience, and it's the one making this analogy, also makes me think in sorta different directions. Either it's another sapience itself deciding apes definitely aren't in the league of real sapient entities, or it's something it has been taught by a humanity that doesn't think it is a real sapience either. That's going into the concept of prejudice and oppression in general, instead of being limited to the specific topic of humans vs. apes.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Humans are apes. That's the robot's point. Yes, it is a machine similar to how humans are apes. But it isn't just a machine any more than humans are just apes.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

TTBF posted:

Humans are apes. That's the robot's point. Yes, it is a machine similar to how humans are apes. But it isn't just a machine any more than humans are just apes.
Fair enough, non-human apes then. Point is, even non-human apes are still on the cutting edge of animal intelligence/sapience, while machine covers everything from toasters to sapient super-computers. Animals in general are an infinitely better analogy in this case, and by accepting the human perception of non-human apes as qualitatively different and separate the robot is perpetuating the very prejudice it itself suffers.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

mind the walrus posted:

Speaking of trailers I've only found the audio and a description for the Comic-Con trailer for Age of Ultron, but even with just audio it's fantastic. Spader is already killing it.

Here you didn't get this from me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgk3dley4xY

The crowd predictably doesn't shut up at all during the fun opening half, but the AMAZING musical cue in the second half is kept intact.

The trailer began with the familiar heroes (including War Machine) dressed in casual all hanging out at Avengers Tower and attempting to lift Thor’s hammer… without much success. Only Captain America is able to move it (slightly) and Thor’s concerned facial expression is priceless until he smiles when Rogers gives up. The exercise is interrupted by the appearance of Ultron, in a broken down, almost skeletal form with silver armor plating haphazardly forming his upper hunched torso. He proclaims,“There’s only one path to peace: your extinction.” The heroes all stand up facing him and Thor picks up his hammer. This opening was followed by a montage of action shots of selected quotes from the movie, including Tony Stark saying that what happens in the movie is “the end of the path I started us on.” The trailer then offered a first look at the movie’s version of the Hulkbuster armor in action in multiple scenes, and Ultron delivered the excellent line “There are no strings on me.” The trailer concluded with Tony standing in a wasteland with the rest of the Avengers lying on the ground looking a lot worse for wear. Captain America’s shield was broken in half. They were seemingly dead.

Much of the footage featured scenes of The Avengers using their abilities in locations around the world. There was a large emphasis on Iron Man suiting up in the larger Hulkbuster suit which forms around the main suit and him fighting Hulk. Hulk throws a car at the Hulkbuster in one shot and as the car hits him, Hulk punches it into him further. A scene later in the sizzle reel highlighted the mechanisms on the Hulkbuster arms that seem to lock into place to give Iron Man more strength as he and the Hulk punch each other and lock fists.

The first time the crowd goes wild it's because Rhodey shows up and tries to help Stark pick up Thor's hammer, and they're both wearing their armor on their arms.. The second time they go absolutely batshit is written up in my first spoiler. Around 0:45 you can hear Banner beating his chest and roaring as he fails to pick up the hammer, followed by a beat where none of his teammates find the joke funny.

I need to see this. Spader's voice is menacing.

PaganGoatPants fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Aug 22, 2014

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
(Most of) The Hateful Eight trailer has been leaked. Not much to it, but it looks nice and confirms the movie will be screened in 70mm.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I watched that just to spite them saying that it wouldn't be online...

.... while was probably their marketing plan all along :downs:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Who would even give a poo poo if someone leaked that, it tells nothing about the movie what so ever. Ugh, I hate trailers like that. Thank you, I know that there are 8 people and their names.

I know supposedly the script got leaked or whatever, but seriously. I'll watch it regardless because Taratino and Django was amazing but still.

I feel like right now Taratino out of all of his movies he is at his best his last couple of films I've thought have been way ahead anything he has previously done.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

morestuff posted:

(Most of) The Hateful Eight trailer has been leaked. Not much to it, but it looks nice and confirms the movie will be screened in 70mm.

dangit I wanna know who plays who

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Judge Clayjar posted:

dangit I wanna know who plays who

Samuel L. Jackson, Samuel L. Jackson, Samuel L. Jackson, Samuel L. Jackson, Samuel L. Jackson, Samuel L. Jackson, Samuel L. Jackson, and Samuel L. Jackson

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Samuel L. Jackson, Samuel L. Jackson, Samuel L. Jackson, Samuel L. Jackson, Samuel L. Jackson, Samuel L. Jackson, Samuel L. Jackson, and Samuel L. Jackson

Harvey Keitel is in there somewhere too.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Here is your trailer for Jon Stewart's Rosewater:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTM01_eIfBo

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

DivisionPost posted:

Here is your trailer for Jon Stewart's Rosewater:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTM01_eIfBo

I had forgotten that I had read about this movie but when I saw the trailer I remembered. The trailer starts out very "American" so to speak, but knowing that Kim Bodnia is in it is a guaranteed viewing for me. Some of you may know him from Refn's first Pusher movie. He seriously has an intensity, and hearing that the role was originally supposed to be James Gandolfini, it makes sense. Gandolfini was a great loss, but Bodnia is seriously a worthy substitute in this role. He can do really menacing, unhinged, but there is still the possibility that it may be possible to salvage the situation. There is a heart in the madness.

No idea if the movie is good, but I will watch it.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Not that I really care about this sort of thing in films much, but I found it kind of funny that the main character is the one Iranian in the world with a South American accent apparently. :v: Like, all the other Iranian characters, whether they're Iranian actors or not, have X standard accented English, however you describe it, and then it's like hey it's Che Guevara what's up.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

I work in a lab with two Iranians and they both sound Eastern European for what it's worth.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

sbaldrick posted:

Ah, you mean Spongebob

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
John Wick - Keanu Reeves kills everyone: The Movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAvug-z7lqM

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

PaganGoatPants posted:

John Wick - Keanu Reeves kills everyone: The Movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAvug-z7lqM

Keanu should play more villains, he was really creepy as Kung Fu Satan in his Man of Tai Chi.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
John Wick? Like the dude who wrote Legend of the Five Rings and some of the most :smug: RPG writings out there?

...I'm a nerd.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Theon Greyjoy just can't catch a break.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
People always say that Tom Cruise isn't aging but Keanu looks loving great for 50

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
I mean, I'm a sucker for revenge action movies. So I'm going to see John Wick when it hits Netflix.

But the <bad guy punches the dog in the face> + "that dog was all I had left NOW I AM IN BEASTMODE" was the silliest thing.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Green Crayons posted:

I mean, I'm a sucker for revenge action movies. So I'm going to see John Wick when it hits Netflix.

But the <bad guy punches the dog in the face> + "that dog was all I had left NOW I AM IN BEASTMODE" was the silliest thing.

<dying wife gives dog> <bad guy punches the dog in the face> <dog dies> <BEAST MODEEEEE>

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

muscles like this? posted:

Keanu should play more villains, he was really creepy as Kung Fu Satan in his Man of Tai Chi.

"People keep asking if I'm back. Yeah I'm thinking I'm back. PUPPY PAYBACK."

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Keanue Reeves is…DOG GONE

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I'm working on a script where its the dog that gets revenge.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

mr.capps posted:

John Woof: the bite is worse than the bark: crime stinks

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

mr.capps posted:

I don't know where you are, but I will find you and I will bite you.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

kiimo posted:

I don't know where you are, but I will find you and I will bite you.

GIMME BACK MY BONE!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Watching the trailer I was thinking "that dog better not be the reason Neo loses his poo poo... oh, it is".

• Locked thread