Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
al-azad
May 28, 2009

PC-Masterrace is bad enough but calling Nintendo a deviance in the same breath is icing on the cake.

*breaths heavily through mouth* "I'm a brony through and through but sometimes I like to indulge on the occasional eroge. Japanese cartoons are beneath me but NORO-CHAN SO CUTE nnnnnnn~"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Woffle posted:

I think Patreon is a really great model for it. I worry about the amount of disposable income and how much cross pollination there is in podcasts, however. We're by no means true "early adopters" of the model but as more podcasts move over to Patreon, I wonder if fans are going to have a 5bux for us _and_ a 5bux for Retronauts.

This has been insecurity chat.

As a "consumer" in these kind of things, I've had the same thought. I already support a couple of patreons, and now when I see artists/podcasters/whatever starting one up I have a hard time justifying the buy in. Even if I really, really enjoy their work.

The internet is weird, and supporting people you like is even weirder.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Samopsa posted:

I like how that short lists of words immediately conveys the 'manchild with access to lethal military hardware' descriptor for that person. How can someone who works for the world's largest military force define himself by his following of a children's cartoon about magical ponies?

I hope they only let him fly a desk .

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.

lizzyinthesky posted:

So the GamerGaters launched their ~real game journalism~ site, goodgamers.us and true to form their first review is internet furry rape simulator Corruption of Champions.

This is basically the best possible outcome. http://www.donotlink.com/blji

I want to hear their podcast so bad.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I mean I get their intent, to have more of a grassroots site for gaming news, but eventually they have to realize if all you're doing is reporting news, you have a billion other sites to compete against who are backed by corporations who know how to make money and get eyes on them instead.

I actually have not seen any good examples of ~good games journalism~ other than straight reporting and I seriously doubt they could ever even dip their toe into any investigative reporting/journalism for their first three years if they are still up by then, if they keep whatever they're doing unchanged.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Song For The Deaf posted:

The most recent episode of Isometric has a very pointed conversation about Gamergate from the perspective of women in the industry. I recommend it.

http://5by5.tv/isometric/18

That got pretty harrowing, but I'm glad I've listened to it to the end. I'm so glad this didn't happen when I was a lovely teenager with lovely opinions because I can easily see younger me as being stupid enough me think gamergate was legitimate.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Sober posted:

I mean I get their intent, to have more of a grassroots site for gaming news, but eventually they have to realize if all you're doing is reporting news, you have a billion other sites to compete against who are backed by corporations who know how to make money and get eyes on them instead.

There are also a bunch of websites already out there that are all about "independent video game journalism", and the fact that they're so small/irrelevant that most of the gamergate people apparently don't know about them says a lot. I mean, one of their Contributing Editors is a guy who's also an editor for GatherYourParty.org which, as far as I can tell, has the exact same mission statement as goodgamers:

quote:

Started in early 2012, GYP was formed by people who are passionate about video games, and were disappointed with the current state of games journalism.

We set out to provide a better source of information for consumers in a market that has become more and more dominated by blatant advertising and soulless click-bait.
Hmm...sure sounds familiar.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

To have any longevity, they're going to need more than not liking what they see as the status quo.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sober posted:

I actually have not seen any good examples of ~good games journalism~ other than straight reporting and I seriously doubt they could ever even dip their toe into any investigative reporting/journalism for their first three years if they are still up by then, if they keep whatever they're doing unchanged.

Is this even possible? Video games is the largest grossing form of entertainment in the Western world short of maybe sports but it's also an incredibly small community with most development being done locally or at isolated sites or in someone's rented office. There's nothing to report on that isn't given. You can't investigate the suicides of EA's Chinese office or spot Hideo Kojima filming a code named project in the streets of New York. At best a story will break out of someone being harassed or overworked but it's not like you can cite the FOIA to force Activision into telling you why they had security pacing their offices.

This whole gaming journalism thing and wanting to be "legitimized" baffles me because that's not going to happen in an industry where your only source of information is what's given. The opinion pieces, podcasts, and video shows are probably what the majority of people look for so just "reporting the facts" is pointless. You want to be a legitimate "journalist?" Don't report rumors, double check your sources, and provide context to your stories.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Speaking of GAMES JOURNALISM (no scare quotes), I'm going to re-listen to all of Robert Ashley's A Life Well Wasted.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Tangentially related to gaming podcasts but The Comedy Button patreon means they're doing more movie commentaries is amazing.

Is Patreon the new thing now then I guess?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Patreon's been around for a bit over a year now but it's certainly been gaining a fair amount of traction lately.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Song For The Deaf posted:

The most recent episode of Isometric has a very pointed conversation about Gamergate from the perspective of women in the industry. I recommend it.

http://5by5.tv/isometric/18

I tried listening to this because I'm really interested in hearing decent and experienced commentary on the issues that have come up lately, but what the gently caress? Is this the "Gigglecast"? I couldn't make it ten minutes into that without getting frustrated with the unfocused chuckling and bullshit before shutting it off.

I'm sure they're decent people with thoughtful opinions, but a little editing here and there wouldn't hurt.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Mr Scumbag posted:

I tried listening to this because I'm really interested in hearing decent and experienced commentary on the issues that have come up lately, but what the gently caress? Is this the "Gigglecast"? I couldn't make it ten minutes into that without getting frustrated with the unfocused chuckling and bullshit before shutting it off.

I'm sure they're decent people with thoughtful opinions, but a little editing here and there wouldn't hurt.

Haha, this is every negative comment about Idle Thumbs 2008-2011, I think. :(

Anyway, I like Isometric but honestly (and kind of shittily) I sometimes have trouble listening to it just because the angle they come at stuff, and the opinions expressed from those trajectories, are often not in line with the way I think about them. It makes me realize how easy it is to effectively listen to myself over and over on podcasts, or at least listen to slight variations of my friends and co-workers, on most podcasts. Its also not that I DISAGREE with something said on Isometric -- and I love that they are a cast that is the opposite of a bunch of dudes with one woman host or whatever (hi!) -- but the way I unconsciously react to subtle differences are a reminder of how often I self select toward the familiar in my entertainment. Anyway Isometric is a podcast I enjoy. Sorry this was a rambling paragraph that didn't quite succeed in conveying what I meant it to.

ja2ke fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 13, 2014

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

ja2ke posted:

This is going to sound mean but it's more like -2014 if you ask me.

SoulChicken
Sep 19, 2003

mek it fuhnki

ja2ke posted:

You mean The Goldblum Years

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I think chris said it in the live episode. People that enjoy idle thumbs are laughing along with the hosts in (most) of these bits and don't find them annoying.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

ja2ke posted:

I was thinking about posting this earlier, but now since you've posted, I definitely am now: One time when I was listening to 3MA or IT, Chris was talking and some switch in my brain flipped and I started focusing in all of the non-words he was saying. The other hosts didn't bug me at all, but for whatever reason, I had a laser-like focus on "like, ya know, ummms" and whatnot. I know that I'm guilty as all hell of doing it and I love Chris, but I think I started to fill in phantom "ya knows". Also, I couldn't tell you or Sean apart.

Technically this isn't a knock against you guys, since I really enjoy the podcast. Your true transgression, though, is not having Danielle on every podcast. t:mad:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Solution: buy an Optimus Prime voice changer helmet and make Sean wear it

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Did Nick Breckon decide to stop being on the podcast?

Does he exist? Did he ever exist?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Your post contains too much giggling and thus I must stop reading it

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Swagger Dagger posted:

Did Nick Breckon decide to stop being on the podcast?

Does he exist? Did he ever exist?

He's been busy locked in a room in the Telltale offices trying to devise a funny Borderlands joke.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Randallteal posted:

He's been busy locked in a room in the Telltale offices trying to devise a funny Borderlands joke.

Can't be that hard to steal reddit memes.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Randallteal posted:

Ah, so he is dead

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

HMS Boromir posted:

This is going to sound mean but it's more like -2014 if you ask me.

I get the feeling most people stopped being surprised enough by it to mention it after that time, but as you have shown, many continue to think that (which is fine).

Not related to what you said but related to the general sentiment -- I fundamentally disagree with the idea that editing natural conversation ticks out of a podcast will make for an objective improvement. If people don't like it, that's fine, it's probably just not a show for them. If it's a show where hosts are having thoughts for the first time live on the air as they record, because ideas are coming to their minds AS they articulate them, I want to hear every second of that. If their idea surprises them or their friend enough that it cracks them up or shocks them, I want to hear it. If I'm listening to RadioLab or 99% Invisible or something, where the hosts are delivering pre-considered, prepared content, I obviously don't want their natural flow of conversation in there but that is because the content in those shows is totally different. I'm not listening to 99% PI for the discovery of te idea, I'm there to hear a rehearsed story told, or an audio essay delivered. In the case of chat shows, though, I just want to hear the hosts being themselves (and sometimes I like that and sometimes I don't).

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

ja2ke posted:

I get the feeling most people stopped being surprised enough by it to mention it after that time, but as you have shown, many continue to think that (which is fine).

Not related to what you said but related to the general sentiment -- I fundamentally disagree with the idea that editing natural conversation ticks out of a podcast will make for an objective improvement. If people don't like it, that's fine, it's probably just not a show for them. If it's a show where hosts are having thoughts for the first time live on the air as they record, because ideas are coming to their minds AS they articulate them, I want to hear every second of that. If their idea surprises them or their friend enough that it cracks them up or shocks them, I want to hear it. If I'm listening to RadioLab or 99% Invisible or something, where the hosts are delivering pre-considered, prepared content, I obviously don't want their natural flow of conversation in there but that is because the content in those shows is totally different. I'm not listening to 99% PI for the discovery of te idea, I'm there to hear a rehearsed story told, or an audio essay delivered. In the case of chat shows, though, I just want to hear the hosts being themselves (and sometimes I like that and sometimes I don't).

This is why I think Dick Cavett was the best pop culture interviewer of all time.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Consistently having four people on the podcast does seem to result in more/longer periods of joking around or talking over each other. Which is fine but the tone is pretty different sometimes. I can see why somebody would like Thumbs generally but find the more recent stuff harder to get through because the giggle quotient is higher.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I couldn't get into Isometric, much like how I couldn't get into the Bombcast. Tried a couple times with both and they took forever to say anything interesting or about video games. I really wanted to like Isometric and plan on checking out their gamergate episode, but Brianna Wu just rubbed me the wrong way even after they got past all the intro stuff (fandas and hand turkeys are discussed forever) in each episode. Does anyone know of any other gaming podcasts where the majority of the hosts are women?

The bombcast episode I listened to they talked for like an hour about food.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Stan Taylor posted:

The bombcast episode I listened to they talked for like an hour about food.

If not food then loving wrestling.

But you can thank Dan Ryckert for that. Practically every episode since he was hired as been "Dan says something truly baffling, everybody tries to wrap their head around it." I think the banter is funny but I'm also becoming increasingly aware that whenever Jeff mentions spending time in Japan he talks about eating at loving Sizzler and Outback.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Is there like a Worst of Dan Ryckert collection somewhere? I don't listen to the show but I've heard rumors of him wanting to sous-vide half a dozen whole chickens in a bathtub or something and I want to know more.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

al-azad posted:

If not food then loving wrestling.

But you can thank Dan Ryckert for that. Practically every episode since he was hired as been "Dan says something truly baffling, everybody tries to wrap their head around it." I think the banter is funny but I'm also becoming increasingly aware that whenever Jeff mentions spending time in Japan he talks about eating at loving Sizzler and Outback.

GB has always been way more about the personalities than the game talk

TinKelp
Jan 9, 2007
:dukedog:
Buglord

HMS Boromir posted:

Is there like a Worst of Dan Ryckert collection somewhere? I don't listen to the show but I've heard rumors of him wanting to sous-vide half a dozen whole chickens in a bathtub or something and I want to know more.

There's a tumblr for that.

Remf
Jun 28, 2008

REALLY NOT FEELIN UP TO IT RIGHT NOW. SORRY.

HMS Boromir posted:

This covers a few things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlpeojoKirU

Orthogonalus
Feb 26, 2008
Right angles ONLY
Laughing/giggling in podcasts is absolutely fine for me if I also think what they're laughing about is funny. The opposite is also true then that it's incredibly uncomfortable to listen to laughing hosts if I don't "get" what's so funny (hello MBMBAM, I like you as persons but I'm seemingly the only person on the internet who doesn't listen to your podcast :()

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

al-azad posted:

But you can thank Dan Ryckert for that. Practically every episode since he was hired as been "Dan says something truly baffling, everybody tries to wrap their head around it."
The wrestling stuff I'm fine with, but WWF still has a small place in my heart from both childhood and college. I am getting sick of it turning into two hours of what a manchild Ryckert is. I hope against hope that that well will be run dry soon enough though.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
It comes off as pretty gimmicky doesn't it.

Jippa fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 14, 2014

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

TetsuoTW posted:

The wrestling stuff I'm fine with, but WWF still has a small place in my heart from both childhood and college. I am getting sick of it turning into two hours of what a manchild Ryckert is. I hope against hope that that well will be run dry soon enough though.

John Drake was right.

quote:

"Someone needs to be the voice of negativity around here, you’re too optimistic for how crazy you are. It’s like you’re just happily crazy and everyone’s like that’s cute and adorable and I’m like no. He’s going to destroy civilization."

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The problem you have is that you think it's a gimmick and that Dan isn't actually that dense/oblivious about a lot of things.

Dan is a very special man. Look at his past work at Game Informer and you'll see.

Szmitten posted:

John Drake was right.

Yes

Really, listening to the podcast with John Drake on it should be required. It's great to see someone outside the "oh Dan~" bubble losing their poo poo over him.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Stan Taylor posted:

Does anyone know of any other gaming podcasts where the majority of the hosts are women?

Listen to Video Games Taco. It's a drat good podcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Al! posted:

Listen to Video Games Taco. It's a drat good podcast.

And they have finally released a new one for the first time in ages.

I have to say that Dan on GB is starting to get old quick. Could he tone it down a bit, 'cause it's starting to come off as laboured.

SpannerX fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 14, 2014

• Locked thread