Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shut up gelly
Oct 27, 2011

down with slavery posted:

isn't the new stuff they are talking about for content that doesn't even exist yet? Who cares if you can't get the epic super armor to kill the dragon if the dragon doesn't exist yet?

its out right now, you can log in right now and upgrade your relic t3 gear to gear that is 30% better with an item you can only get from preordering

and ya, as absurd as it sounds, i care. pve may not be directly competitive but its definitely competitive between guilds and players. tons of time and effort go into min/maxing and optimizing in pve.

dps meters are primarily an ego thing but when all the content is cleared theres not much to do but compete. there has been a ton of competition in the last year and a half or so as to who can parse the highest on fights like goloch, krizzix, etc (there was even drama about a 31k abom parse that only 3 warriors ever managed to pull off when the content/gear was relevant). i know some players who i can guarantee will buy the new gear, and as a result that form of competition goes out the window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

shut up gelly posted:

its out right now, you can log in right now and upgrade your relic t3 gear to gear that is 30% better with an item you can only get from preordering

and ya, as absurd as it sounds, i care. pve may not be directly competitive but its definitely competitive between guilds and players. tons of time and effort go into min/maxing and optimizing in pve.

that's fair. I guess I thought most of the progression and hardcore players had already kinda stopped playing before the new content. for me personally, I'm happy to let people give Trion more money to improve the game. it seems that maintaining a competitive environment while trying to fund themselves via F2P is going to be inherently difficult

down with slavery fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Sep 3, 2014

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

down with slavery posted:

that's fair. I guess I thought most of the progression and hardcore players had already kinda stopped playing before the new content. for me personally, I'm happy to let people give Trion more money to improve the game. it seems that maintaining a competitive environment while trying to fund themselves via F2P is going to be inherently difficult

Maintaining a competitive environment was going to be inherently difficult when they outright removed most of the incentive for players to want to compete.

I'll give people credit for sticking to it this long but the first two released encounters were some of the most poorly implemented encounters in the game in terms of balance against the previous tier.

I mean realistically the problems with raider population in the game existed before the F2P conversion but post conversion every decision they've made with regards to raids has been pretty miserable. The Crucia bugs on launch may have been a fiasco but the decision to release GA and have it be the most relevant content for months is by far more baffling. I'm certainly not unbiased but I think Volan was one of the most poorly designed fights in the game in terms of what it actually gauges from your healers, and putting relic quality gear into the shop with the launch of tier 3 was kind of absurd as a cash grab.

I'm certainly guilty to some extent of exiting the game before giving its due course, I regret not having stayed on course with one of the remaining guilds in the game to progress on Laethys and Maelforge, but seeing them actually break the one promise that made the initial F2P conversion acceptable--no BiS items for credits, and to say that Daglar has tiptoed on this line is the understatement of the (last) year--in the first place is the last straw in a line of gradual slights such as current tier marks subject to instance lockouts in money chests and bis essences in money chests.

I'd really wanted to defend as much about RIFT as I could, because the raid encounters were in fact fun, and maybe they could have made F2P work, but the F2P implementation's 3-month aftermath and beyond really detracts from Trion's previous reputation as one of the hidden gems of the MMO world.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Zoness posted:

I'd really wanted to defend as much about RIFT as I could, because the raid encounters were in fact fun, and maybe they could have made F2P work, but the F2P implementation's 3-month aftermath and beyond really detracts from Trion's previous reputation as one of the hidden gems of the MMO world.

To their credit, they've done a great job of leaving the core of the game intact in the F2P state, I can't think of anyone who has done it better. Lord of the Rings Online basically breaks everything up into the content packs - the only thing you can do after level 30 (I think) is the epic quest, which is great but there is no meaningful way to level up and experience it without buying content packs. Neverwinter comes close, but has no meaningful raid game and last I checked the dungeon design was unbelievably lovely. The Old Republic is not free to play for any reasonable definition - it's a large and extended demo mode.

I can understand how this would introduce all sorts of distortion to top-end raiding, but quite frankly top-end raiding scenes (where you give a gently caress about anyone else's progress) are tiny nuthouses of borderline personalities bashing against each other. If that's the price we have to pay to keep the rest of the game as accessible as it is, I can't say I'm unhappy with the compromise.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
What the gently caress is Trion doing? I thought Rift is doing well enough to not need P2W stuff. I guess people weren't buying enough premium subs and cosmetic stuff.

Fufo
Apr 24, 2002

UNEXPECTED!

quote:

RIFT says:

We're routing around an ongoing Comcast maintenance to try to resolve current connection issues. We'll keep you updated as we get more info.

Thanks for your patience!

There goes my babysitting morning. Time to watch toddler cartoons, dammit.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!

RottenK posted:

I thought Rift is doing well enough to not need P2W stuff. I guess people weren't buying enough premium subs and cosmetic stuff.
Rift is supposedly doing really well for itself. Greed, I guess.

In other news, is the reusable dream orb the really lovely one that gives you like +5 stats?

Because they essentially never give you anything decent in the supporter packs and it's laughable. Sucks about the gear boosters but really who cares. Let people spend $50 on them. It won't turn a poo poo player into a God.

I will say their raid system is pretty frustrating. Too many people take it too seriously and fail to grasp really simple mechanics.

The game would greatly benefit from expanded tiers (more raids, with a slower introduction to mechanics) and less stat inflation. The problem being, when you have so much poo poo to do to improve your character - balancing towards the current end-game locks out a huge part of the population and makes the game decidedly un-fun.

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.

shut up gelly posted:

yeah i'm done. the new upgrade gear is a 20% stat gain over the old stuff, and you can only get it by paying trion $150. time to sell my account. i wonder what a t3 geared warrior will go for.

Was thinking the same. I have a rogue with full relic pvp-runed myrmidon gear + t2 raid gear. Plus lvl 60 cleric, mage (both about rank 75) & warrior on same account. Where is a good, safe place to sell accounts?

I'm just done with Rift and pretty much any f2p model.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Playerauctions is the go-to place usually.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
Any chance Rafza could get an invite? I posted in the chat for one a while ago and haven't heard back.

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik
I haven't played Rift in a while, but plan to give Nightmare Tide a go at some point. Am I missing something here, do these insane T3.5 P2W items carry over to the new expansion or something? That's an entire month away isn't it? Is there anything that points towards them being BiS useful, or useful at all then? You guys are losing your minds over this, there must be something I'm missing.

By the look of it, these void accelerators will be world gear vendor purchases somewhere down the line, bought - probably - with NT's infinity stone equivalent... this is the end of the world?

vv Ok, so I got it right with goons being goons :greencube:

Ihki fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 4, 2014

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
They'll be useful for leveling and maybe till you get some drops at max, depending on how expansion gear scales out.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Ihki posted:

vv Ok, so I got it right with goons being goons :greencube:

The fact that that is a thing even for a month is not a good sign.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
Yeah. Even if the expansion obsoletes this gear in the first quest reward, selling power is still selling power.

I guess it could be fine if they'd stick to selling pointlessly OP gear for a month before each new expansion that will obsolete it anyways, just to milk stupid whales and :sperging: who need to be THE STRONGEST at all times, but where's the guarantee that they won't eventually move to just selling best stuff in stores like many korean MMOs do?

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Haven't played Rift for a couple months and never got really high whenever I do play it but then I get an e-mail with a shark mount. I don't know if I can hold back. :shepface:

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I quit playing back when instant adventure first was implemented. Back then I played a stormcaller mage because I enjoy cutting myself and also really complex move sets and huge icicle crits. It looks like they've really dumbed down stormcaller now and the other mage souls I tried are simple too...is there any class/soul combo with a crazy complex rotation still?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Manslaughter posted:

I quit playing back when instant adventure first was implemented. Back then I played a stormcaller mage because I enjoy cutting myself and also really complex move sets and huge icicle crits. It looks like they've really dumbed down stormcaller now and the other mage souls I tried are simple too...is there any class/soul combo with a crazy complex rotation still?

Shaman.

Idiots will say it's doable with 2 or 3 buttons, but they're also doing 70% of the dps the spec can do.

Although I believe it falls behind inquisitor on enough fights in Tier 3 that it's not as good by comparison. Other than that I think Warlock was pretty fun if you were doing perfect 1second refreshes of the DoT's.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 5, 2014

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Doing top-end harb DPS is pretty challenging but harb is poo poo DPS now so

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

KaneTW posted:

Doing top-end harb DPS is pretty challenging but harb is poo poo DPS now so

wait did they nerf harb since i left? ugh

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

They buffed everything else. Pyro is ridiculously good now (and plays even worse than previous Aegis ICD bullshit) and I don't think Stromcaller hybrids are a thing anymore. You'd have to ask an actually active mage for details.

shut up gelly
Oct 27, 2011

Manslaughter posted:

beastmaster/paragon is probably the most complex viable build in the game right now, but every raid will only have 1 max. compared to anything else in rift it's brutally hard and extremely unforgiving. properly min/maxing the spec involves managing 5 21sec dots, a 15sec/1min cd block, ogcd procs and swapping between 1 and 1.5sec gcds.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

shut up gelly posted:

beastmaster/paragon is probably the most complex viable build in the game right now, but every raid will only have 1 max. compared to anything else in rift it's brutally hard and extremely unforgiving. properly min/maxing the spec involves managing 5 21sec dots, a 15sec/1min cd block, ogcd procs and swapping between 1 and 1.5sec gcds.

Oh yeah I forgot about that spec I tried to ask Nefy to teach me how it goes and he's just like lol read the guide and hammer at a dummy :psyboom:

Really cool spec tho.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

KaneTW posted:

They buffed everything else. Pyro is ridiculously good now (and plays even worse than previous Aegis ICD bullshit) and I don't think Stromcaller hybrids are a thing anymore. You'd have to ask an actually active mage for details.

did that archon nerf ever happen?

Dumlefudge
Feb 25, 2013
Question for the EU goons: What's the ping like on Deepwood? I was thinking about using the Instant 60 with the Collector's Edition to get a jump start on playing on Deepwood, if the ping is acceptable for most things (particularly PvP)

Also, do the Collector's Edition bundles also include the new souls? I'd like to think they do (purchasing the Collector's Edition of the expansion surely gives you one of the major pieces of content for that expansion, right), but it doesn't mention it on the webpage so... :shrug:

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

It's fine for me if I use Battleping. Had huge issues with routing without it, especially on Thrax. Same with most other US based games, some routes are just utter poo poo.

Dumlefudge
Feb 25, 2013
Just got in-game after patching and ping seems to be alright at ~150ms mark. Gonna play around with it for a few days before I splurge on the Collector's Edition.

IGN: Caeciena

Dumlefudge fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Sep 6, 2014

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
It doesn't really take that long to get to 60 but the game also is not very hard.

I don't know what comes with getting an instant 60 but you'd have a pretty annoying grind if you don't get anything but the level, I imagine.

I don't think the supporter's packages are really worth it, none of the previous ones were.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Dumlefudge posted:

Also, do the Collector's Edition bundles also include the new souls? I'd like to think they do (purchasing the Collector's Edition of the expansion surely gives you one of the major pieces of content for that expansion, right), but it doesn't mention it on the webpage so... :shrug:

I doubt it as those have been on sale for a few months now and don't really seem to be all that tied to the expansion.

Tom Powers posted:

I don't know what comes with getting an instant 60 but you'd have a pretty annoying grind if you don't get anything but the level, I imagine.

The official page says it comes with lvl60 appropriate gear.

big parcheesi player
Apr 1, 2014

Also, I can kill you with my brain.
Decided to see how Rift was

IGN: Gleoffren

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Had to transfer/change the character name I've had for 42 levels but I'd like to join GoonSquad. Character name: Ciam. Thanks~

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

invites caught up.

And $149 for best expansion thingy? Wow.

Dumlefudge
Feb 25, 2013

quote:

I doubt it as those have been on sale for a few months now and don't really seem to be all that tied to the expansion.

Perhaps I was a bit hopeful. I had always thought the new souls were fairly strongly tied to the new expansion (despite being released well in advance of it). Ah well, I suppose I may as well just start leveling all over again! €45 is a bit too steep a price to pay if I don't get the souls as well :(

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Mr Scumbag posted:

I bought this game when it first came out and played it ffor maybe a week then stopped. Looking tostart again since it looks to have a whole lot of content now. Just have two questions which may be too simplistic or stupid, but I'll try anyway:

I am a solo player, primarily.

I want to make a Necromancer. What race and spec should I go?

I know it's a bit back, but I have a silly build I run around with at 60 now that I'm playing it a bit again.
44 Elementalist/32 Necromancer/whatever.
It's pretty much a 1 button wonder with a couple of other buttons you hit occasionally
1 Essence Link
2 Ignite
3 (macro)
cast Ice Shield
cast Elemental Burst
cast Bone Frenzy
cast Elemental Forces
cast Volcanic Eruption
cast Crystalline Missiles
cast Necrosis
4 Soul Purge

Crystalline Missiles procs a complete assload, and the huge buffs on damage to your pet from the split plus the huge bonus to your damage from the allocation & Shadow Revenant's buff... it's fairly simple and strong.

I can't say too much how it'd work leveling it up as I only leveled it up from 55 (where my mage was when I'd last played), but maybe it'll give you an idea.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Are you guys still on Deepwood? I made a character on there named Atronie and joined the chat channel but no one's talked.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Catsworth posted:

Are you guys still on Deepwood? I made a character on there named Atronie and joined the chat channel but no one's talked.

Yes, but the guild is relatively dead at this point. Not sure how many people still hang out in the public channel. If you post your character name here you'll get an invite.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Looking to get back into this, how accurate is this about it being the best leveling spec these days?

Fufo
Apr 24, 2002

UNEXPECTED!

Asehujiko posted:

Looking to get back into this, how accurate is this about it being the best leveling spec these days?

Sup Ase. If you need a hand in game, just shout. This game sure is less nerve wrecking than tonks.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I tried to use the ascend a friend thing, which just refreshed when my friend hit "create account". We then tried creating a glyph account, which automatically had the code applied to it on log in... but the entire account vanished when logged out again. Then we made another new account, which got through but found that 99% of the time any given Glyph page would come back as "We ran into a bit of a problem. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please try again later." but we could manually enter the ascend code, only to find out that logging into the game itself there was supposed to be a confirmation code to be sent to his email address, which was empty save for my original recruit a friend mail.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Glyph is getting hammered this weekend by the Archeage launch, so it wouldn't surprise me if it is affecting the other game servers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fufo
Apr 24, 2002

UNEXPECTED!

Eltoasto posted:

Glyph is getting hammered this weekend by the Archeage launch, so it wouldn't surprise me if it is affecting the other game servers.

That might be the case. I have a dynamic IP and every now and then they detect that it has refreshed and they have to send me one of those codes. Well, I've been waiting for twenty minutes now for that code, without being able to log in.

• Locked thread