Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

McDragon posted:

Also I hope the stage creation thing lets you have an army of Lu Bus fight an army of Lu Bus. I feel like if a custom stage thing in one of these games where you can't do that would be missing a trick or two.

Considering they removed the limit for changing officers (but not their voice lines as far as I know) you can totally do that. I'm more partial to an army of Dong Zhuos facing down an army of Yoshimoto Imagawas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

McDragon posted:

I don't really like Gauntlet Mode very much so far though. Don't know if I'm missing something but it just seems that eventually the Miasma builds up too much and everything can kill me really easily and I can't drop the level quick enough again. Is there much you can only get there? Is it any easier to do once you've done more of the story and got stronger things? I'm only in Chapter 1 so far.

Gauntlet Mode is definitely designed for higher-level characters. I went in after finishing Story Mode completely and still had some trouble. It does, however, have some great prizes - most notably the ability to creaft fifth-level weapons, which are absurdly strong. Orochi's has a base attack power of 90, and it's not the strongest I've seen. There's also a character to be gotten when you beat it, but it's just one. Finishing Story Mode first is definitely a good idea.

McDragon posted:

Also I hope the stage creation thing lets you have an army of Lu Bus fight an army of Lu Bus. I feel like if a custom stage thing in one of these games where you can't do that would be missing a trick or two.

Being able to replace all enemy officers with Lu Bu was actually an option in the original release, but as far as I can tell is absent in Ultimate. Then again, Ultimate doesn't have the original's point-based editing limits, so if you're patient enough you can still replace everyone with him.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Really disappointed that they didn't nice up the graphics and performance on O3U. Otherwise, the game is still a ton of fun! And the little lizard brain in me still loves that the stages have a ton of Mooks to kill.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I just ordered DW8XLCE. Is the online still lively?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sefal posted:

I didn't know it ever was. I think online play is pretty boring.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Sefal posted:

There really isn't much to do online. It just allows co-op which is far more fun splitscreen.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

Really disappointed that they didn't nice up the graphics and performance on O3U. Otherwise, the game is still a ton of fun! And the little lizard brain in me still loves that the stages have a ton of Mooks to kill.

The graphics are definitely prettier, at least on the PS4 as compared to the 360. Thigh I'd give it up in a heartbeat if I could remove mook pop-in in exchange.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'd give it up for a frame rate that didn't constantly wander between 30 and 60fps. The back of the box made me laugh 'remastered in 1080p and up to 60fps'. Maybe when I'm staring at a wall with no enemies on screen.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
At the very least Gauntlet mode is a decent way to increase bond between multiple officers and train up some officers (tons of Growth Points), even if you lose a stage.

Also the crafted orbs is a great way to put mods on a weapon.

It is really really difficult though, and I often find myself trying to check every single portal and still not finding the exit.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

They were showing some Hyrule Warriors on Nintendo's Treehouse stream earlier.

I love the challenge map. :allears:

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Colgate posted:

It is really really difficult though, and I often find myself trying to check every single portal and still not finding the exit.

I've had more than one occasion in which I've thought I checked every portal, only to notice one I missed because it was partly hidden by a treasure chest icon. On the other hand, sometimes the exit is in the first portal you try. It's a great mode regardless. More difficult than the series has led me to expect, but worthwhile and a lot of fun.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

iastudent posted:

They were showing some Hyrule Warriors on Nintendo's Treehouse stream earlier.

I love the challenge map. :allears:

drat, I just realised that's out next Friday (in the UK). Fingers crossed I might get it a couple days early too.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I wonder who will be the Lu Bu of Hyrule Warriors. Going to hope people in the thread that get it will post impressions, I always like to see how the crossover ones go.

Also WO3 is getting sillier and sillier. Now there's Joan of Arc and Achilles and Ayane and motherfucking Ryu Hayabusa around as well. This is a very different game he's wandered into. Must be a nice change from getting kicked around in Ninja Gaiden. :v: Well, it is to me anyway.

Vita version does seem to have a couple of issues with lots of enemies, sometimes they'll all just disappear. But usually they're still there and you can get them by continuing to flail wildly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Joan of Arc and Ryu are both hilarious for being broke as poo poo. Not quite as broke as Xiahou Ba but is anyone as broke as Xiahou Ba?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, but they both have the added benefit of not being Xiahou Ba.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
The best character is any DW character on a horse with brilliance and wind.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

How did DW8 do on Steam and what are the odds Koei's gonna release more titles for the PC in the future?

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

There's no way to get sales numbers from Steam unless the publisher decides to share them

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the best character is sterk

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

McDragon posted:

I wonder who will be the Lu Bu of Hyrule Warriors. Going to hope people in the thread that get it will post impressions, I always like to see how the crossover ones go.

Also WO3 is getting sillier and sillier. Now there's Joan of Arc and Achilles and Ayane and motherfucking Ryu Hayabusa around as well. This is a very different game he's wandered into. Must be a nice change from getting kicked around in Ninja Gaiden. :v: Well, it is to me anyway.

Vita version does seem to have a couple of issues with lots of enemies, sometimes they'll all just disappear. But usually they're still there and you can get them by continuing to flail wildly.

Is it Bladestorm Joan of Arc? Or is it another design?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

McDragon posted:

I'm gonna cross-post something I noted from the Zelda Thread:

___

Chortles posted:

Also, although the "pursue" jokes have been long explained, here's the subject thereof:

I wanna make a point here. See Lu Bu there.

See Zelda Warriors here.

____

From what I've seen, even as enemy-only, he's about as dangerous, though unplayable at this point. The moveset isn't exact, but I fully expect one of his weapons once he's unlocked for play(Probably DLC because it is 'extra assets') is eventually gonna be Sky Piercer or Sky Scorcher to 'complete the transformation'.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Sep 13, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PunkBoy posted:

Yes, Bladestorm.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

PunkBoy posted:

It is Bladestorm Joan of Arc, except than unlike Bladestorm commanders, she can actually fight.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I like how Joan of Arc is so pure of heart that she's immune to demonic mind control.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Speedball posted:

I like how Joan of Arc is so pure of heart that she's immune to demonic mind control.

She's already got one extra occupant in her head.

Also, as someone who has never actually read the R3K novels nor studied that particular time period, and bearing in mind the "history is written by the victor" filtered through three thousand years of Chinese Whispers, just how batshit was Lu Bu? Was he really a singular-minded wannabe Sith Lord who would crush a sworn ally for weakness simply because they sneezed?

And playing through the Lu Bu campaign in DW8 was great, he's a force of nature and his daughter's a walking meat grinder.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Well, he did betray twice. That tends to skew people's perception. And he was apparently poor to his men. But I remember that last was from DW4's 'history of the three kingdoms' bit and his own bit in the encyclopaedia.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Maleketh posted:

It is Bladestorm Joan of Arc, except than unlike Bladestorm commanders, she can actually fight.

To be honest, I lost count of how many times I finished off a base just by sending in my guy alone and popping all the special moves, assassinating command units as I went. It's a hilarious way to play.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Lu Bu betrayed people, but real life Liu Bei was apparently a real piece of poo poo that is only glossed over because Romance is written by a Shu guy.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

CitrusFrog posted:

Also, as someone who has never actually read the R3K novels nor studied that particular time period, and bearing in mind the "history is written by the victor" filtered through three thousand years of Chinese Whispers, just how batshit was Lu Bu? Was he really a singular-minded wannabe Sith Lord who would crush a sworn ally for weakness simply because they sneezed?

And playing through the Lu Bu campaign in DW8 was great, he's a force of nature and his daughter's a walking meat grinder.

In the book he betrays Ding Yuan, Dong Zhuo and Liu Bei, wins a few engagements with multiple opponents but ultimately fizzles out and dies begging for mercy and bargaining with his captor. The Whirling Maelstrom of Rage and Hate thing is a Dynasty Warriors invention.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Tae posted:

Lu Bu betrayed people, but real life Liu Bei was apparently a real piece of poo poo that is only glossed over because Romance is written by a Shu guy.

The books have a heavy Shu bias. Most of the Shu big names had their dark sides.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Mokinokaro posted:

The books have a heavy Shu bias. Most of the Shu big names had their dark sides.
Hilariously said dark sides are so big that they manage to leak through in the actual text, it's the derivative lore that really glosses them over more. ( :sperggin: Technically it's the Mao Zonggang edition that is so biased unlike the original Luo Ghanzhong edition, but the Mao edition is more iconic.)

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
What are the dark sides of Shu?
Last DW I played was DW5, years ago and most of it fizzled out of my memory.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The one big thing that no one can ignore and also isn't an issue of values dissonance (like Liu Bei tossing his kid; that was meant to show his virtue) is that when his clan member Liu Zhang asks for his help in fighting a war Liu Bei promptly shows up with an army, stabs him in the back and takes over his territory.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Backstabbing, Zhang Fei is a kidnapper, murderer, brute and pedophile, Guan Yu is vain and a dick to his own officers and others, a lot of nepotism (but most factions had that) and the general bad stuff that happens with wars off the top of my head

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Sefal posted:

What are the dark sides of Shu?
Last DW I played was DW5, years ago and most of it fizzled out of my memory.

Shu Are a Bunch of Conniving Douchebags, by B. Hunter

I actually like how in the game Fa Zheng is made out to be the petty and vindictive man he was in real life. He's one of my favorite characters, even if he doesn't get much screen time.

Gimnbo fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Sep 13, 2014

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

This all makes me think that they ought to synthesize the "Benevolence!" crap with the reality of them being bandit lords into making Shu the Robin Hood faction. They already wear green in the games...

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Speedball posted:

This all makes me think that they ought to synthesize the "Benevolence!" crap with the reality of them being bandit lords into making Shu the Robin Hood faction. They already wear green in the games...

That's a pretty neat idea, but it's nothing like how they're presented in the novel, so it'll never happen.

EDIT: It looks like I have some DLC stages for WO3U's Gauntlet Mode. I tried out the first one, and roughly half the mooks drop XP scrolls. Officers drop 2 scrolls each, sometimes for 600 XP.

:stare:

5-Headed Snake God fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 13, 2014

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Ty guys for the extra history on Shu. I just played a bit of DW8 and I played the 1st stage on hard and man the enemies take forever to kill. I was streaming so one guy kept sending me endless supplies of enemy reinforcement. Which I think is amazing that the game has that function. when I did the second stage I got one shoted by a musuo near the end of the stage. Then again I should start on Normal.

But I'm having a blast so far

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Anything above 'Normal' difficulty is really supposed to be played after you've levelled up your characters a bit and found some decent weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Sefal posted:

Ty guys for the extra history on Shu. I just played a bit of DW8 and I played the 1st stage on hard and man the enemies take forever to kill. I was streaming so one guy kept sending me endless supplies of enemy reinforcement. Which I think is amazing that the game has that function. when I did the second stage I got one shoted by a musuo near the end of the stage. Then again I should start on Normal.

But I'm having a blast so far

Did you get one shotted by Lu Bu? Because that's basically just what happens from that.