Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Chomp8645 posted:

Natural Selection 2 is on sale (Steam) right now I think and that's fine the bill.

Not a popular streaming game though, don't know if that matters to your friend.

StoryTime posted:

The Warhammer 40k RTS games might fit the bill.

Hm. Any suggestions that aren't first-person shooters or real-time strategy games? (Since I forgot to clarify earlier, I'm talking PC games. Not that anyone suggested console games; just getting that out there.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

FredMSloniker posted:

Can someone suggest some games that (a) are free or relatively cheap, (b) have online multiplayer, and (c) would be interesting to watch? A friend of mine does a regular video stream, and I'd like to get into some co-op action with him.

I suggest Nosgoth. It will eventually be completely F2P but for now you have to buy in to the beta. They will be adding more things to the game but as it stands it's a totally functional and fun game. I was hooked the moment I did the vampire tutorial and I climbed a wall for the first time, and then realized I could do that anywhere.

It's fairly competitive, in the sense that one really bad teammate can potentially gently caress up your game. That's probably my biggest complaint with it. I didn't run into too many tryhards.

I would also suggest Marvel Heroes, but it's not that interesting to watch in my opinion. Maybe I'm wrong.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 12, 2014

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Is there enough interesting new content in Chrono Trigger DS to warrant buying it if
A. I've never played the original
B. I have the original on Wii VC and never touched it.
?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

C-Euro posted:

Is there enough interesting new content in Chrono Trigger DS to warrant buying it if
?

A rewritten and more coherent script (though it keeps some choice lines from the original, I think), and the new content that is added really sucks.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
To the stamp collector guy: Pocket Frogs, Tiny Tower Vegas, and maybe something like Clash of Clans or the new Star Wars game with the same deal. Might have heard of them though, they're phone games. Oh have you played Hearthstone? It's a good game with card collecting.

To the streamer co-op guy: Not sure how down you are for MMOs but ArcheAge launches for free on Tuesday.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

C-Euro posted:

?
The new content is garbage but the script in general is better and I navigating menus and separating the battle screen is much better on handheld.

So the question is "do I want to play this 20+ hour RPG anywhere or on the loving Wii?

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I'm looking for a game with a ton of systems and numbers that I can lose myself in that all don't necessarily contribute toward the same thing (say, combat, which I could honestly do without in a lot of games) but all interact to some extent. I'm thinking of something like the house building segments of Breath of Fire 3 or all of Disgaea. It doesn't necessarily have to be an RPG or SRPG, I'm open to any genre really.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Anno might appeal. It's a city building series with a heavy focus on production chains and trade. Go with 1404 gold or 2079 depending on the aesthetic you want.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Mokinokaro posted:

Anno might appeal. It's a city building series with a heavy focus on production chains and trade. Go with 1404 gold or 2079 depending on the aesthetic you want.

I've put a couple hundred hours into 2070. Great suggestion though.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Shab posted:

I'm looking for a game with a ton of systems and numbers that I can lose myself in that all don't necessarily contribute toward the same thing (say, combat, which I could honestly do without in a lot of games) but all interact to some extent. I'm thinking of something like the house building segments of Breath of Fire 3 or all of Disgaea. It doesn't necessarily have to be an RPG or SRPG, I'm open to any genre really.

If you like making money, you might like Patrician. If you like soccer/football you might like Football manager. If you like reading wikis, you might like any game created by Paradox.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
All the images I've seen of Destiny's character creation look pretty cool to me. The gameplay looks so-so and I don't feel like paying $60 for virtual dress-up, but now I really want to scratch that itch. What's a non-Bioware and non-Souls 360 game that has deep character creation/customization, preferably one old enough that it's also cheap?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I have been out of the loop with PC games for a while, but I just got a new rig. I'm looking for something that will show off the graphics power of my new machine.

I enjoy racing games and action games mostly (stuff like forza, gran turismo, grand theft auto) but really willing to try anything other than RPG's (action RPG's like diablo would be ok).

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
/\ Sleeping Dogs. You want Sleeping Dogs if you haven't played it on console. It's GTA set in Hong Kong with more martial arts (think Batman: Arkham) than guns, though guns become a bit more prevalent in later missions.

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

deep character creation/customization, preferably one old enough that it's also cheap?

Skyrim or Fallout New Vegas?

Mount and Blade's got a decent character creator as well, though it's nowhere near as nice looking.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

All the images I've seen of Destiny's character creation look pretty cool to me. The gameplay looks so-so and I don't feel like paying $60 for virtual dress-up, but now I really want to scratch that itch. What's a non-Bioware and non-Souls 360 game that has deep character creation/customization, preferably one old enough that it's also cheap?

XCOM (the new one) :v:

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

SSSSSaints Row 3+4

Foil
Apr 19, 2006
Now with more paranoia
I am looking for something I can throw up on my LAN and enjoy with 5+ people.

I am looking for something persistent, with RPG elements, and "group" game play. A stand alone server client (Windows or linux) is a plus. We've done Terraria, Starbound, Minecraft, 3079 (Holy poo poo was that odd) Cubeworld (lol) and recently tried Planet Explorers (needs more dev time) and stuff along those lines have done well. It doesn't need building elements, but that seems to get us all a bit more involved in messing with each other - which keeps the fun going. I don't think anyone is going to spend more than 30$ on anything that doesn't look AMAZING, so unless its really great lets try to keep it cheap. Being on Steam is a big plus as well.

Did we miss anything worth playing or are we just playing the waiting game on all the stuff around the corner?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Foil posted:

I am looking for something persistent, with RPG elements, and "group" game play. A stand alone server client (Windows or linux) is a plus. We've done Terraria, Starbound, Minecraft, 3079 (Holy poo poo was that odd) Cubeworld (lol) and recently tried Planet Explorers (needs more dev time) and stuff along those lines have done well. It doesn't need building elements, but that seems to get us all a bit more involved in messing with each other - which keeps the fun going. I don't think anyone is going to spend more than 30$ on anything that doesn't look AMAZING, so unless its really great lets try to keep it cheap. Being on Steam is a big plus as well.

Did we miss anything worth playing or are we just playing the waiting game on all the stuff around the corner?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/251570/

This one is good, it touches a lot of the light RPG mechanics and while a bit janky with zombie movement and animation, it's still a solid game. It needs a limited world space if you're playing against people to be raiding assholes against each other, but it's still cool.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/304930/

Hands down, the best Day-Z replacement I've seen in a long time. I'm not joking when I say this, this single 16 y/o developer has done more then most big time studios trying to make the same style of game, He'll be adding a server browser soon, and a map editor which will breathe new life into the game. It's pretty great, and it's free.

Foil
Apr 19, 2006
Now with more paranoia

Turtlicious posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/251570/

This one is good, it touches a lot of the light RPG mechanics and while a bit janky with zombie movement and animation, it's still a solid game. It needs a limited world space if you're playing against people to be raiding assholes against each other, but it's still cool.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/304930/

Hands down, the best Day-Z replacement I've seen in a long time. I'm not joking when I say this, this single 16 y/o developer has done more then most big time studios trying to make the same style of game, He'll be adding a server browser soon, and a map editor which will breathe new life into the game. It's pretty great, and it's free.

These are good suggestions and I will keep them in mind, but zombies are a hard thing to sell after the massive amount of over saturation they've had in recent years. I might check out Unturned myself, so thank you.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Have you tried mods by the way? Minecraft can be a whole new game with Agrarian Skies, which is a "Skyblock" map. You get a small patch of land, and you try to make renewable resources and machines using mods. IE: You set up a tree farm in your little patch of dirt, to make barrels to compost the samplings into mulch which allow you to get dirt which you use on a sieve to get little bits of stone that you can craft.

Then you can melt that stone in a crucible (the dirt drops bits of other stuff like clay!) and it seems horrifically spergy and boring but it's actually really fun making a production line and seeing how things work together and how you automate the resources to make poo poo.

Terraria has some great mods too like classes and stuff that really mixes it up.

StarForge needs more dev love, but if you can handle a bit of Jank you've got a really fun (weird) experience in that game.

Foil
Apr 19, 2006
Now with more paranoia
We did a pretty heavily modded Minecraft with a lot of RPG elements added, it did the job but Minecraft can only hold people for some long.

We all have StarForge as well, but no one thinks it feels complete enough to merit playing yet.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

Dragon's Dogma (Get the Dark Arisen version) is the best fantasy dress-up game I've seen. The character creator is ridiculously in depth and based on a huge number of preset components for limbs, heads, hairstyles, facial features and other bodyparts. The component based character generator means that it's really hard to accidentally ruin your character, since every change you make is discrete and immediately visible instead of based on a vague slider that might also affect other sliders. But there is still enough variety in the components to make really varied characters, including more exotic bodytypes like really tall or short people, or really fat, thin or muscular people, or really old or young people, or dudes that look like ladies or ladies that look like dudes or whatever. The armor/clothing selection is really good too, with huge number of separate pieces for headgear, torso clothing, torso armor, leg clothing, leg armor, arm armor and capes with cloth physics that are all visible on your character and combine with each other. Some armor pieces are asymmetric too so you can make some really eclectic get-ups for your fantasy hero. And you also get a sidekick you can customize just as much as your main character, so you have twice the characters to play dress-up with.

lazy old sun
Feb 12, 2007

Foil posted:

This isn't out for another few days and I haven't followed it up until now, but your question made me think of this:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/290080

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Tagra posted:

If you like making money, you might like Patrician. If you like soccer/football you might like Football manager. If you like reading wikis, you might like any game created by Paradox.

Thanks! I'll check these out.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I've been having a strange itch lately, I'm looking for a singleplayer arcade (i.e not simulation) war planes game, especially if it has aircraft carriers and other ships, bonus points if you can use them too. I don't particularly care if it's based on WW2 or a more modern era. There's any good games that fit this description?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Angry Lobster posted:

I've been having a strange itch lately, I'm looking for a singleplayer arcade (i.e not simulation) war planes game, especially if it has aircraft carriers and other ships, bonus points if you can use them too. I don't particularly care if it's based on WW2 or a more modern era. There's any good games that fit this description?

Tom Clancy's 'HAWX' is a decent arcady jet fighter sim.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I am interested in games that put you in a setting as a nobody and you gradually establish yourself as a powerful/wealthy/influential figure. To be clear, if this growth is limited to ability to kill enemies I'm disinterested(because this is every video game, ever). This can come through both gameplay mechanics and story.

I am somewhat averse to chosen one type narratives, but if it captures a gradual progression its okay.

Features such as RPG style leveling, player housing, guild/faction systems, and the ability to gain wealth and to accordingly spend that wealth are the types of things I'm looking for. I am flexible in regards to platform. I think an MMORPG would be similar to what I'm looking for, but the MMO-part means actually feeling like your character is growing and gaining influence falls by the way side.

Games that have done this well that I've played:

The Elder Scroll Series
Saint's Row
Fallen London
Fallout(all of them except 3, but especially New Vegas)
Baldur's Gate
The Sims

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Play the Gothic series. Gothic 2 plus expansion is generally regarded as the best, i think.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

prometheusbound2 posted:

I am interested in games that put you in a setting as a nobody and you gradually establish yourself as a powerful/wealthy/influential figure. To be clear, if this growth is limited to ability to kill enemies I'm disinterested(because this is every video game, ever). This can come through both gameplay mechanics and story.

I am somewhat averse to chosen one type narratives, but if it captures a gradual progression its okay.

Features such as RPG style leveling, player housing, guild/faction systems, and the ability to gain wealth and to accordingly spend that wealth are the types of things I'm looking for. I am flexible in regards to platform. I think an MMORPG would be similar to what I'm looking for, but the MMO-part means actually feeling like your character is growing and gaining influence falls by the way side.

The Elder Scroll Series
Saint's Row
Fallen London
Baldur's Gate
The Sims

A few ones:

The Guild Gold (on GOG) or The Guild 2: Renaissance (Steam) have you playing as a Renaissance family gaining wealth and political influence and fending off rivals. Renaissance is newer, but significantly buggier.

Mount and Blade (Steam) has you rise from a minor mercenary to a medieval lord/lady. Ride around with your men on the campaign map and lead them/fight with them in third person battles. Mods add a lot of depth, like becoming king and running your own kingdom. Get Warband.

Crusader Kings 2 (Steam) lets you play any medieval count, duke, king, or emperor from the battle of Stamford Bridge in 1066 to the fall of Constantinople in 1453 (or earlier, with DLC). Map spans from Iceland to India. Appoint advisers, manage your family, order vassals (and be ordered by your liege), build, plot, and war. Primarily map game, no first person combat, though.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

prometheusbound2 posted:

The Elder Scroll Series
Saint's Row
Fallen London
Baldur's Gate
The Sims

All the Fable games do this well although Fable 3 takes it to the extreme where you go from pauper to king then everybody hates you.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'm looking for a sci-fi, futuristic, FPS.

Any suggestions for particularly good ones?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Deus Ex and System Shock?

If you want more action-y FPS...

Hard Reset
Sanctum (FPS/tower defense hybrid)
Bulletstorm
EYE Divine Cybermancy
Singularity

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Halo.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Angry Lobster posted:

Battlestations: Pacific is exactly what you're after, I think.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Seconding E.Y.E. I've previously described it as Deus Ex meets Warhammer 40K in a fever dream. Sneak, run, and gun through some of the largest Source engine levels I've ever seen. Wield an array of satisfying weapons like a giant fuckoff warhammer, high caliber armor piercing pistol, giant fuckoff minigun, or dual-wield katanas. Use some loving weird powers, like cloning yourself multiple times and fighting in a group, turning dropped weapons and ammo into health, and making someone explode into a pack of werewolves (yes). Get implants and magic cybertech. Enjoy a messed up story about a secret society within a secret society within a secret society (yes, 3 secret societies) with 3 alternate endings and one true one.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Cantorsdust posted:

Seconding E.Y.E. I've previously described it as Deus Ex meets Warhammer 40K in a fever dream. Sneak, run, and gun through some of the largest Source engine levels I've ever seen. Wield an array of satisfying weapons like a giant fuckoff warhammer, high caliber armor piercing pistol, giant fuckoff minigun, or dual-wield katanas. Use some loving weird powers, like cloning yourself multiple times and fighting in a group, turning dropped weapons and ammo into health, and making someone explode into a pack of werewolves (yes). Get implants and magic cybertech. Enjoy a messed up story about a secret society within a secret society within a secret society (yes, 3 secret societies) with 3 alternate endings and one true one.

In a handy coincidence, I seem to have picked it up in a steam sale and never played it.

Well, that settles that, thanks folks.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

I've just finished the wolf among us and really like, even though it was super linear how free i was in responding to the story and also how relaxing it was. Does anyone have suggestions for something similar? I detest the walking dead comics, so i can't see myself getting into that. I'm currently playing la noire but it feels a bit clunky so i'm not getting super into it.

edit: to be clearer about what i liked in wolf among us, it was just a fun story where i had the idea that i couldn't do much wrong.

canada jezus fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 14, 2014

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

prometheusbound2 posted:

First thing that came to mind was FarCry 3. You start as a dudebro tourist and gradually build up from someone near-terrified of blood to a one-man army. You do so by hunting, scavenging, and taking over outposts.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'm looking for something that's a western/horror game. Preferably a RPG but I understand this is a pretty slim genre so I'll take anything.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'll suggest something non-obvious and go with Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. You have to be willing to look past some jankiness though, it's not exactly polished. But it's still pretty darned good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009
Well, here's a bit of an odd duck of a request, I suppose.
Back in the mists of time, I owned a Palm Pilot. Well, several of them, and several machines using that OS. One of my favorite games for the little things was "Space Trader", a Sci-Fi spin on "Drug Wars", of all things. You flew about space in a wide variety of spaceships, buying and selling various commodities of sometimes dubious legal status. There were jobs you could take on, as well, giving gameplay loads of variety.

The closest thing to it I can think of is Escape Velocity Nova, a Macintosh game, of all things (also available on PC, which is what I have), with very similar gameplay; and as Space Trader is more in-depth than Drug Wars since a Palm Pilot is a much more capable device than a TI-85, EV Nova's gameplay is as more detailed than Space Trader's as a desktop computer is more complicated than a Palm Pilot. You can fly a greater variety of ships, customize them more extensively, and get wrapped up in complicated plots (although the story lines are more on the "Palm Pilot" side of things versus the "Desktop Workstation" side...). You could even command a small fleet with the ability to threaten planetary governments!

So what I'm looking for is a sort of "Space Ship Game", a sort of sandbox game where you start out with limited resources and are able to advance your way up to commanding an enormous warship or cavernous cargo vessel, or even a combination of the two. (EV Nova had some cargo ships that could be outfitted into things able to trade blows with capital ships!) You should be able to engage in economic activity of some kind to advance your station without necessarily advancing through any plots, although stuff to do besides moving poo poo about is of course quite desirable. One thing I quite liked about EV Nova was the ability to capture other ships and either claim them as your own or add them to your fleet. I'm not terribly picky for how combat is resolved; I've got a G940 so I'm prepared if the game requires me to stick-and-rudder things, but I'm just as happy to click a mouse and be told my missile volley has a 68% chance to hit my foe or some such.
I've played FTL; I quite like it.