Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Sober posted:

So it's the hard sci-fi equivalent of characters vomiting dumb planet names and starship technical specifications instead of talking like regular people.

The equivalent would be laser gun fights and explosions but yeah, only watch it if you like that sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

TheChad posted:

The equivalent would be laser gun fights and explosions but yeah, only watch it if you like that sort of thing.
Well that would be a hard military sci-fi, but yeah I guess.

Although if you spend like 30 minutes on killing zombies I'm guessing the budget just up and left for the rest of the season. (well depending on how close you want to get to TWD level of gore)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Toxxupation posted:

Would a TVIV-specific thread for like a Steam group/friend codes/XBL/PSN tags be kosher? I ask cause smash bros is coming out soon and I'd like to beat all of you up as Samus Aran (the best smasher), but I've been kicking the idea around for a while

I'm thinking no.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Is anyone else really bummed that Duncan Jones is doing the Warcraft movie instead of a Moon follow up?

e: 20 months of post-pro? God drat.

Why? Moon ended perfectly.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
He has stated that he has a 'sequel' to Moon planned. It's not a direct story follow on, just something happening in that universe after the events of Moon.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

What this guy said. Moon was just so good, and I want to see him do more with what is a very interesting setting.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Here's Conan doing the Monorail Song live at the Hollywood Bowl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gdoAPZjpYE

I love it when Conan goes old-timey

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
After reading more than a few praises for Taxi Brooklyn, I decided I would give the show a chance. Having just finished it, I feel like I was punk'd.

Seriously, the show is awful. Did I just not read the posts about it closely enough? Because drat.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire

Manos del Sino posted:

After reading more than a few praises for Taxi Brooklyn, I decided I would give the show a chance. Having just finished it, I feel like I was punk'd.

Seriously, the show is awful. Did I just not read the posts about it closely enough? Because drat.

Well, don't forget it was Irish Joe basically saying all of that.

So yeah, you were punk'd.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Manos del Sino posted:

You done goofed.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Vertical Lime posted:

Here's Conan doing the Monorail Song live at the Hollywood Bowl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gdoAPZjpYE

I love it when Conan goes old-timey

I liked how he actually did throw a penknife at that line.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Chamberk posted:

Well, don't forget it was Irish Joe basically saying all of that.

So yeah, you were punk'd.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Irish Joe was the only person in TVIV that was watching that show and all posts praising it were his. So if you were fooled, it's your own fault.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Now that The Blacklist is on Netflix I'm marathoning it (while I play 3DS games, so I'm not paying 100% attention) but honestly I think it's a fair bit better than "just watch it for James Spader". He is the best part of the show, but it's actually a pretty nice, tight procedural with some great Badguys of the Week and an interesting enough over-arching plot.

Go in with low expectations like I did and you might be pleasantly surprised!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lycus posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Irish Joe was the only person in TVIV that was watching that show and all posts praising it were his. So if you were fooled, it's your own fault.

Not sure I ever saw him praise it as a good show and instead he was kind of taken in by how ridiculous it was.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Deadpool posted:

I'm thinking no.

Well, ok, I made a Steam group for TVIV duders, here it is: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/tvivgoons

I'll probably be asking if any duders want to play some smash in the coming weeks, this is a p nintendo-friendly thread

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Toxxupation posted:

Well, ok, I made a Steam group for TVIV duders, here it is: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/tvivgoons

I'll probably be asking if any duders want to play some smash in the coming weeks, this is a p nintendo-friendly thread

Christ, every single one of you has over a 100 video games. Who has the time and money for all of that?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You buy dozens of games during each Steam sale for dirt cheap prices and then never play them.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Ravane posted:

Christ, every single one of you has over a 100 video games. Who has the time and money for all of that?

many of my games are gifts or indie games i bought off humble bundles

I've probably spent like maybe...300 dollars all told in the five years I've had my account?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Holy poo poo I just started watching Downton Abbey. Why the hell did nobody tell me this show was so loving good??

(everyone told me this show was so loving good :downs: )

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Actually the show is terrible and dumb. Edith is poo poo and so is Lord Grantham.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah it's really bad.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm pretty sure the first or second season got really good reviews.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

oh no :(

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The thing about the first two seasons is that it tricks you into thinking it's good with British accents and period costumes. But it's still dumb and only gets more blatant about how bad it is as time goes on.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Protip: Never enter this thread expecting positive reinforcement.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Toxxupation posted:

Ravane posted:

I've got over 500, you babies :smuggo:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ravane posted:

I've only bought 3 or 4 games on Steam. :confused:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Regy Rusty posted:

The thing about the first two seasons is that it tricks you into thinking it's good with British accents and period costumes. But it's still dumb and only gets more blatant about how bad it is as time goes on.

Yeah, first two seasons are good, don't feel bad about watching them. tbh I was a little blown away by the pilot because I had really low expectations, and the show managed to keep me interested for about 2.5 seasons. But I actually quit the show a few episodes into the 4th season and kind of watched season 3 begrudgingly.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah S1 was ok but after you hit S2 how bad it is really becomes apparent and really S1 was also bad.

On a related note, I just watched the Z Nation pilot, and whoever was posting reviews a day or two back saying it's good and not awful like other Asylum garbage is very very wrong. It is exactly as dumb and bad as everything Asylum does.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
I'm watching season 2 (without any previous exposure to the show) as it's currently airing here and I think it's a wonderful parody of soap operas. Last episode had Lavinia going from happy to dead in thirty minutes because, you know, that obstacle between Matthew and Mary had run its course. But turns out dead Lavinia is an even larger obstacle!

"Isn't it better this way?" :laffo:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Martytoof posted:

Holy poo poo I just started watching Downton Abbey. Why the hell did nobody tell me this show was so loving good??

(everyone told me this show was so loving good :downs: )

It's a standard lovely ITV drama with a dash of "oh look wasn't everything lovely when the poors knew their place" that fools Americans, and normal people, people into thinking it isn't shallow predictable poo poo, for a little while at least

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

It's a standard lovely ITV drama with a dash of "oh look wasn't everything lovely when the poors knew their place" that fools Americans, and normal people, people into thinking it isn't shallow predictable poo poo, for a little while at least

It's more the set design and costumes that got so much care on that show that fools people, and to be fair the attention to that stuff is pretty good. The show actually goes out of its way to a ridiculous degree to pretend to be progressive toward women and poors to mask the fact that society was such poo poo to them (as if it isn't now).

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Manos del Sino posted:

I didn't get the show at first, either. The key is watching it as a comedy, because it is a comedy. I am 100% serious about this. Don't let the show fool you into thinking its a drama. It is a perfect satire of police procedurals, written and developed by people who understand the genre and use that knowledge to play with your expectations. If you like Homicide or NYPD Blue, you owe it to yourself to give Taxi Brooklyn a second chance. I guarantee you that if you approach it the right way (ie as a comedy), you will absolutely love it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wow, someone reached back for that.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Irish Joe posted:

I didn't get the show at first, either. The key is watching it as a comedy, because it is a comedy. I am 100% serious about this. Don't let the show fool you into thinking its a drama. It is a perfect satire of police procedurals, written and developed by people who understand the genre and use that knowledge to play with your expectations. If you like Homicide or NYPD Blue, you owe it to yourself to give Taxi Brooklyn a second chance. I guarantee you that if you approach it the right way (ie as a comedy), you will absolutely love it.

Please don't go full-Supermechagodzilla, Irish Joe, you're too good for that

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

To be fair to Joe, I happened to catch an episode a few weeks ago that was like "Assault on Precinct 13" as written by a retarded person, and I wouldn't say it was "good" by any means, but it was certainly memorable and kind of fascinating in that many people agreed that that hour of television was something that deserved to exist, and money was spent to make it happen.

It is probably best watched and explained in the form of clips from The Soup though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DI1wc4Qgxs

raditts fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Sep 14, 2014

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
This is probably one of the most hilarious sessions of Family Feud I've seen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRU9BT9M9Iw

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
I'm not sure about Nathan for you. Some of the set ups and reactions are just too perfect. And the camera looks too nice, like the angles and the resolution. Doesn't feel like real pranks.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not so sure about juche mane. It's not supposed to be a covert prank show. Speaking of that. I've been watching Game of Thrones and they too have yet to "prank" someone and the production values seem a bit above Candid Camera? Guys? What gives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
I've been burning through Californication on Netflix and I'm nearly through season three. It has a lot of flaws and I'm only getting through it by keeping it in the background as I work, but I have one nagging question:

Does Mia ever get exposed for ripping off Hank's book?

• Locked thread