Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
I love seeing these kinds of douchebags.

Top hit on the /r/navy. Kids these days with their airsoft gun teams. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Angry Fish posted:

Pffffhahahahahahahahaha oh my loving god this is hilarious. Wonder why he didn't give himself ribbons or warfare devices with significance to whatever bravery he faces on the fields of battle. His kneckerchief looks better than most people's I've seen. Wonder what command is on that tab though.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Dogfish head is really good. They have their own chain of pubs that have pretty decent food as well. I personally love the midas touch, even though it's expensive as gently caress. I don't really like Budweiser, but I don't think there's anything offensive about it either. It's just a bland beer. I've never had a Sam Adams I like, but I also hate pale ales and IPAs. Sam Adams feels like it's trying really hard to be a part of the hoppy microbrew movement, but that's just not my flavor. I like wheat beers, and a lot of times Blue Moon is just the closest I'm going to get to that on tap. It's doesn't mean I don't like dark beers either, but I have pretty girly tastes obviously. I'd rather have a Smithwicks than a Guiness for example.

And that's beer chat from me.

PS: I love gin and hate vodka, figure that one out.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Sir Lucius posted:

Dogfish head is really good. They have their own chain of pubs that have pretty decent food as well. I personally love the midas touch, even though it's expensive as gently caress. I don't really like Budweiser, but I don't think there's anything offensive about it either. It's just a bland beer. I've never had a Sam Adams I like, but I also hate pale ales and IPAs. Sam Adams feels like it's trying really hard to be a part of the hoppy microbrew movement, but that's just not my flavor. I like wheat beers, and a lot of times Blue Moon is just the closest I'm going to get to that on tap. It's doesn't mean I don't like dark beers either, but I have pretty girly tastes obviously. I'd rather have a Smithwicks than a Guiness for example.

And that's beer chat from me.

PS: I love gin and hate vodka, figure that one out.

Bud and Coors taste like poo poo to me, some IPAs are awesome. I have never been able to finish a Sam Adams other than a Christmas one that they had out last year. Not much of a beer drinker though, other than dark ales or whatever. Give me some rum or scotch and I'm right at home. Can't stand vodka (why the gently caress would you want to drink alcohol and not taste it/want it tasting like apples n' poo poo?) and gin reminds me of old pervy men so I stay away from it and anyone that drinks it.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Angry Fish posted:

Is that an IT rating badge, seems appropriate.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Angry Fish posted:

Is that an army hat, or did the navy manage to gently caress up dress whites even worse?

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Mad Dragon posted:

Is that an army hat, or did the navy manage to gently caress up dress whites even worse?

it's a stolen valor post.

he's wearing the army beret, an army air team shirt, the ITbadge, and a actually pretty decent neckerchef.

he looks 15, in my opinion.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Pandasmores posted:

Pffffhahahahahahahahaha oh my loving god this is hilarious. Wonder why he didn't give himself ribbons or warfare devices with significance to whatever bravery he faces on the fields of battle. His kneckerchief looks better than most people's I've seen. Wonder what command is on that tab though.

he must have grabbed whatever he could out of the surplus store's clearance bin and slapped it on. "I'm a Navy Now!"

Apparently his Instagram (before it was deleted) was an imagination land tale of him serving in four theaters of war and having earned every army combat badge and navy warfare pin under the sun.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Angry Fish posted:

it's a stolen valor post.

he's wearing the army beret, an army air team shirt, the ITbadge, and a actually pretty decent neckerchef.

he looks 15, in my opinion.

That neckerchief looks like dogshit

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Angry Fish posted:

What mysteries were found in the spaces during decom? I remember insurv cleanings and finding 19 year old bags of potato ships in the overheads. I like these stories.

What are they doing with the old OJ consoles? Did you let some DDG kids steal your crap?

How is it going? I'm going to be sad when the frigates are gone. I liked the culture, enjoyed the 24 port visits every deployment, etc.

Sadly there weren't any super sweet artifacts discovered. I suspect that most them for cleared out the year before I got there during their scorched earth INSURV preps. The best thing someone found was an program from the ship's commissioning in 83 that touted that the ship had :siren: THREE COMPUTERS :siren:.

As for the OJ's we kept them pretty tight. We were tagged FMF so we weren't allowed to whore them out. We actually didn't have that many people try to steal from them which really surprised me given they're pieces of poo poo and spare parts are rare.

As for frigate culture it's not as fun as it used to be. Less money, less ports, more work. I don't think I would go back if I had the option.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

ManMythLegend posted:

As for frigate culture it's not as fun as it used to be. Less money, less ports, more work. I don't think I would go back if I had the option.

What do you mean by less money? Less than what?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Stultus Maximus posted:

I suppose you have a counterexample?

Not sure what you are looking for here...but there is no way Sam Adams isn't better than Bud/Coors/etc. Beyond that tastes vary. I don't love every variation they make but on the other hand there are very I would classify as not very good.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Gunktacular posted:

I'm sure he didn't mean less than zero, but who knows what kind of exotic math the been counters may have invented?

Waiting four months for a diode #justUYA4techthings :cheers:

The RF mixer for your Mk92 is down? We can still deploy since we're not a warship lol just grab one from STIR we are good2go!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

vulturesrow posted:

Not sure what you are looking for here...but there is no way Sam Adams isn't better than Bud/Coors/etc. Beyond that tastes vary. I don't love every variation they make but on the other hand there are very I would classify as not very good.

I guess I wasn't clear. For any beer Sam Adams makes, you can find a brewer who makes that style better.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Gunktacular posted:

It costs way more than you'd think to pull into a port. Tug fees, pilot fees, harbor fees, pier services etc. We occasionally changed ports because one was cheaper, or far more often skipped ports altogether when someone at squadron couldn't cough up the dough last minute. Note that this comes out of a completely different budget from things like spare parts or Skilcraft pens. The nice thing with that and frigates is that you only have so long before running out of fuel (and, after that, food) and I don't seem to recall UNREPs being all that common away from CVBG ops.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Angry Fish posted:

I'm sure he didn't mean less than zero, but who knows what kind of exotic math the been counters may have invented?

Waiting four months for a diode #justUYA4techthings :cheers:

The RF mixer for your Mk92 is down? We can still deploy since we're not a warship lol just grab one from STIR we are good2go!

Oh, less budgetary money. For some reason I thought he was saying frigate sailors got paid less which made no sense.

Snowdens Secret posted:

It costs way more than you'd think to pull into a port. Tug fees, pilot fees, harbor fees, pier services etc. We occasionally changed ports because one was cheaper, or far more often skipped ports altogether when someone at squadron couldn't cough up the dough last minute. Note that this comes out of a completely different budget from things like spare parts or Skilcraft pens. The nice thing with that and frigates is that you only have so long before running out of fuel (and, after that, food) and I don't seem to recall UNREPs being all that common away from CVBG ops.

Like I said, I completely misunderstood what he was talking about.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

We spent like 6 days floating off the coast of Hawaii >:-|

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Stultus Maximus posted:

I guess I wasn't clear. For any beer Sam Adams makes, you can find a brewer who makes that style better.

That's not much of a condemnation, though; it just means that Sam Adams isn't literally the best beer in the world. I don't think many people would disagree. But it's a decent beer with a wide distribution, so it's usually the best option at an Applebee's or Outback level chain restaurant. I personally find their basic Boston Lager kind of boring, but I'll get a seasonal sampler pack every now and then.

ManMythLegend posted:

One of my ex-SWO friends was a big fan of frigate culture over the destroyer. She said the frigate was a much closer, tighter-knit bunch. But that's a sample size of one, not exactly a definitive comparison.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
If you think a frigate crew is close and tightly knit

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I have zero frame of reference, that was just her opinion on it. Maybe she just had a really lovely destroyer for comparison.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Crossposting from the AI thread:

Quality VID from the Washington Times caption department.

It's been a bad few months for CVW-17. :(

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Sir Lucius posted:

I would drink budweiser before I drank Sam Adams. But then again I'm also gay for blue moon.

Da fuq is wrong witchu boi?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Wingnut Ninja posted:

One of my ex-SWO friends was a big fan of frigate culture over the destroyer. She said the frigate was a much closer, tighter-knit bunch. But that's a sample size of one, not exactly a definitive comparison.

Never did a destroyer, but my frigate was closer then my cruiser. However, none then were as tight as on my LCS.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Crossposting from the AI thread:

Quality VID from the Washington Times caption department.

It's been a bad few months for CVW-17. :(

when did the f-18 turn into an a-6?

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

ManMythLegend posted:

Never did a destroyer, but my frigate was closer then my cruiser. However, none then were as tight as on my LCS.

Cruisers are poo poo. Not THE poo poo, just poo poo. LCS was so new, that's why everyone was close. DD Navy best Navy, may they rest in peace.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004
FFGs are useless, which is why you would have been so tight-knit MML. With no real mission to speak of (save for being a bullet sponge), you all have to be BFFs to pass the time.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

buttplug posted:

Da fuq is wrong witchu boi?

I don't give a fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. I drink what I like.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Sir Lucius posted:

I don't give a fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. I drink what I like.

Which is gallons of cum.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

orange juche posted:

Which is gallons of cum.

Dusted

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

poopkitty posted:

Cruisers are poo poo. Not THE poo poo, just poo poo. LCS was so new, that's why everyone was close. DD Navy best Navy, may they rest in peace.

Disagree. Cruisers are the best.

buttplug posted:

FFGs are useless, which is why you would have been so tight-knit MML. With no real mission to speak of (save for being a bullet sponge), you all have to be BFFs to pass the time.

I agree with everything in this post but the core thesis. What I've seen is that snake crew sizes generally tend to breed more close crews regardless of mission. If that was true then the LCS crews wouldn't have even spoken to each other.

I will say that a lovely command climate generally prevents crews from bonding. I suspect it's because everyone hates the command so much they don't want to hang out with other crew members and be reminded of it.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ManMythLegend posted:

Disagree. Cruisers are the best.

I agree with everything in this post but the core thesis. What I've seen is that snake crew sizes generally tend to breed more close crews regardless of mission. If that was true then the LCS crews wouldn't have even spoken to each other.

I will say that a lovely command climate generally prevents crews from bonding. I suspect it's because everyone hates the command so much they don't want to hang out with other crew members and be reminded of it.

Every cruiser I've had to interact with was gator-level hosed up. DDGs were the best, FFGs were the special kid who tries hard.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Cruisers are also a pain to work with from the outside because the O-12 mentality up top.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Is this where you guys try to out-diggit each other?

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
I'm not sure if this has been posted already, but NPR linked me to it, and I found it really funny that the Navy would make this video: http://youtu.be/Uc1LFclXiBU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Mad Dragon posted:

Is this where you guys try to out-diggit each other?

Nah my give a gently caress is pretty much gone. I just wasn't sufficiently medicated earlier.

WhiteHalo117
Jul 5, 2013

Surprise!!!
Tbh I hope they don't phase out CGs, it'll remove a lot of C2 aspects from the fleet. Congress expects DDGs to fill that gap permanently they're nuts.

WhiteHalo117 fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Sep 14, 2014

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

WhiteHalo117 posted:

Tbh I hope they don't phase out CGs, it'll remove a lot of C2 aspects from the fleet. Congress expects DDGs to fill that gap permanently they're nuts.

Yeah there just isn't room to store all those extra officers.

I mean, realistically, there isn't anything an old CG can do that a flight IIa or newer can't do.

I do think both DDGs and CGs have pretty much outgrown their original designs. I think that a true hull up approach on a new ship to fill the consolidated role of the three small boys of old would be the best way to go. After the :laffo:fest that is the LCS program, though, I don't think that has even a remote chance of occurring.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Mr. Nice! posted:

I do think both DDGs and CGs have pretty much outgrown their original designs. I think that a true hull up approach on a new ship to fill the consolidated role of the three small boys of old would be the best way to go. After the :laffo:fest that is the LCS program, though, I don't think that has even a remote chance of occurring.

Just don't let the Marines anywhere near the drawing board, or we'll end up with something that can submerge and/or hover up onto beaches.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Just don't let the Marines anywhere near the drawing board, or we'll end up with something that can submerge and/or hover up onto beaches.
I'd love to see a modernized version of France's Surcouf.

Yes, those are a pair of 8-inch guns and a scout plane. :iia:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

Mad Dragon posted:

I'd love to see a modernized version of France's Surcouf.

Yes, those are a pair of 8-inch guns and a scout plane. :iia:

You must be a Marine.

• Locked thread