Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

So apparently Cataldo was NOT unconscious, but pretty shaken up, and is now trying to finish the stage while Team Sky keep an eye on him. Let's just hope the Great Concussion Derail of 2014 passes by this thread.

Anyway, good for Hansen. 10 consecutive GTs is just insane.

fake edit: Cataldo just finished the stage

real edit:

Marcel Kittel ‏@marcelkittel 27s
Ouch, another tough day!! Felt like my brakes rubbed on my rims today. Checked it, result: brakes are fine, I'm just a weak pussy.

lol

Smirr fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Cataldo looked proper messed up when the camera bike went past him but he wasnt unconscious.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard

Smirr posted:

Marcel Kittel ‏@marcelkittel 27s
Ouch, another tough day!! Felt like my brakes rubbed on my rims today. Checked it, result: brakes are fine, I'm just a weak pussy.

lol

I guess he's joking about Belkin's Mollema who blamed the Bianchi TT bikes to mess up their TdF time trial because the brake rubbed against the rim.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

I realize in a sense that Jens Voights attempt at the hour record is a little bit of an inside joke (however loving much I would like to hime actually make it), but can anyone tell me why his bike actually has a broad handlebar? I understand it's nessecary for the start, but why not just make a detachable bar that you can toss after two rounds?

Ted Ed Fred
May 4, 2004

fuck this band
Just when I thought Michael Matthews couldn't get any more annoying he starts riding the ugliest "bling" bike I've ever seen:

https://twitter.com/zwoodpower/status/510313158934679552/photo/1

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

Dunno, apart from the crank I get lovely tinkles al over my upper body

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Rojkir posted:

I realize in a sense that Jens Voights attempt at the hour record is a little bit of an inside joke (however loving much I would like to hime actually make it), but can anyone tell me why his bike actually has a broad handlebar? I understand it's nessecary for the start, but why not just make a detachable bar that you can toss after two rounds?

It has to be a pursuit legal bike. Tossing things off a bike probably breaks some obscure UCI rule. I'd be surprised if Voigt doesn't get this one (Sosenka's record 49 something). He's a good TTer, the bike technology has come a long way. He won't beat Chris Boardman's 56 though - which is not a UCI legal record or whatever.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
I enjoyed the terrible chasing skills from the BMC Vuelta team and the Omega Pharma Tour of Britain team today.

The bad Omega chase was really worth watching if you haven't seen it.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
I hope Jens gets a flat after 55 minutes and I hope he tests positive as well.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Russian Bear posted:

It has to be a pursuit legal bike. Tossing things off a bike probably breaks some obscure UCI rule. I'd be surprised if Voigt doesn't get this one (Sosenka's record 49 something). He's a good TTer, the bike technology has come a long way. He won't beat Chris Boardman's 56 though - which is not a UCI legal record or whatever.

Ok those wheels are loving incredible.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

I'm the two wheel decals that will be out of synch before their first rotation is complete.

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

I'm the thread that's only readable with half the people in it ignored

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Macasaurus posted:

The F1 thread?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Macasaurus posted:

Nice way to admit you're a baby.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Russian Bear posted:

Does that mean the UCI has decided what the rules are, what's an appropriate bike and what the current record is? I remember that being in some kind of limbo last year.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Cataldo's had to abandon. Bad news for Froome that since he was one of his best helpers in the climbs.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I gotta say I'm a pretty big fan of those Guardia Civil (?) gorillas just going "*TWEET* *slams into a dude* *TWEET*" all the time

e: I consider Froome giving 100% while Contador casually keeps up karmic payback for the Ventoux last year

Smirr fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Sep 13, 2014

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Contador lucky to not get knocked over by that policeman.

Quite looking forward to Aru in next year's Giro.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Contador hasnt looked in trouble once this entire Vuelta.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

cebrail posted:

Does that mean the UCI has decided what the rules are, what's an appropriate bike and what the current record is? I remember that being in some kind of limbo last year.

It use to be that you had to use Merckx type stuff, round tube frame, shallow rims etc. like in the first bike I posted. These restrictions made everyone lol at the hour record as some old oddity. About half a year ago, UCI relaxed the rules so you can use a pursuit bike set up.

quote:

Merckx set a new hour record at the height of his career in 1972, covering a distance of 49.431km in Mexico City with only Chris Boardman (49.441km in 2000) and Ondřej Sosenka (49.700km in 2005) doing better in using a traditional track bike as per the UCI rules for the hour record. All other record attempts are now officially categorised as 'best human effort' including success performances on aero bikes by Francesco Moser and Graeme Obree.

Blurb from: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/merckx-warns-cancellara-about-the-hour-record

We got to see some Chris Froome seated sprinting today!

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Has anyone else tried the hour with the new rules or is Jens the first?

The inCycleTV video about him suggested there would be a lot of attempts now. Is everyone letting Jens have a crack first?

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

^ Everyone else still has a race program going on that they probably don't want to spend time on the boards instead of the road.

Just caught the highlight show. Amazing stage, Contador was clinical there.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Pocket posted:

^ Everyone else still has a race program going on that they probably don't want to spend time on the boards instead of the road.

Just caught the highlight show. Amazing stage, Contador was clinical there.

I am not the world's biggest Contador fan, but I love how he started grinning like an idiot when he attacked and duffed the hell out of Froome.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
I'm watching that part in the highlights right now. He's an entertaining as hell racer.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I still struggle to work out how he can bounce on the pedals like that without killing himself. I tried doing it up a few climbs and while I like to climb out the saddle, the bouncing just killed me. Seems to use so much more energy. Hes a wizard.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Gotta be lean, skinny and have well developed back muscles for that. A while ago I found a "calculator" that based on your height, inseam, weight and maybe a few other metrics would put out whether seated or standing climbing was most efficient. I'll try and see if I can find it again.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pocket posted:

Gotta be lean, skinny and have well developed back muscles for that. A while ago I found a "calculator" that based on your height, inseam, weight and maybe a few other metrics would put out whether seated or standing climbing was most efficient. I'll try and see if I can find it again.

Back? I'd have thought it was his abductors more than anything else.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Could be a personal weakness, if I spend a lot of the day dancing my lower back is usually sorer than my abductors.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
I stand up when my back hurts. But then I have to sit down pretty soon because I'm not 140 lbs.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Either way he's using more muscles than people sat down, so to do that while keeping pace and then sprinting away from them makes him a wizard.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Rojkir posted:

Position on a bike is a compromise between aerodynamics and being in the position that allows you to produce the most power.

The wider bars are needed for stability when starting. They're such a narrow profile the aero penalty is negligible consider how much worse your start would be if you didn't have them.

Track pursuit bikes have the arms set wider because the aero penalty isn't as bad as it is on the road as there's no wind and it allows you to take in more oxygen.

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

That's enough! Out of here, you tubs of beer!
In women's cycling news:

http://colombiareports.co/colombia-women-cycling-team-outfit-raises-eyebrows-lot-eyebrows/

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Turns out a bunch of blowhards got all worked up over a misleading photo lol https://twitter.com/Vaughters/status/511647096617705472

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Details on JTL: http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/09/biological-passport-what-can-teams-learn-from-the-tiernan-locke-case/

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

I just came to post this! The article is quite good.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Jens is going for the hour record in about an hour and a half.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

serious gaylord posted:

I'm super pumped! Hopefully this means Fabs will get a move on.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Xabi posted:

I'm super pumped! Hopefully this means Fabs will get a move on.

They reckon Wiggins and Cancellara will do it before christmas. Rumblings that Tony Martin might have a go too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

serious gaylord posted:

I hope he goes all out in the clinical department and party like it's 1999 :ducksiren: :goatdrugs: