Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

nate fisher posted:

As someone who grew up on the NES and SNES, I absolutely enjoy and love Nintendo first party games. My top 10 list of games are littered with Nintendo first party games. I have my PS4 to scratch the itch of other games like Destiny, Last of Us, etc., but I still feel like something is missing (the games of my youth). I played Mario Kart 8 for the first time waiting for Destiny at GameStop, and I can't get it out of my mind. I guess I'm just trying to push myself over the ledge of spending the money.

Getting a refurbished Wii U is definitely the way to go! NintendoLand comes with the system, and you can get discounts on the eShop from the Deluxe Digital Promotion.

What kind of games are you interested in? Mario Kart 8 is great (plus it has more tracks and characters on the way). Like Silver Falcon said, Super Mario World 3D a really great Mario platformer - I'd say it's even in the running for Best Mario Platformer. Plus ZombiU and Wonderful 101 have surprisingly dropped in price and both are awesome! You'd have to be okay with a survival shooter and Platinum mechanics respectively though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Fritzler posted:

I've never played Mega Man, I love Castlevania games. Is Mega Man X (the one on sale on Wii U right now) a good place to start?

I would recommend both X and X2. X is a great place to get into the mechanics of the series, and X2 is fairly easy and fun. It has some really goofy bosses, as well (Wire Sponge lol)

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Playing NSMBU single player is weird after playing it exclusively multiplayer before. Feels a bit emptier even if my friend isn't as good at the marios as I am.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

nate fisher posted:

As someone who grew up on the NES and SNES, I absolutely enjoy and love Nintendo first party games. My top 10 list of games are littered with Nintendo first party games. I have my PS4 to scratch the itch of other games like Destiny, Last of Us, etc., but I still feel like something is missing (the games of my youth). I played Mario Kart 8 for the first time waiting for Destiny at GameStop, and I can't get it out of my mind. I guess I'm just trying to push myself over the ledge of spending the money.

If you didn't get a Wii then you probably want to shell out an extra $25 for a refurb wiimote and nunchuck. It'll let you play the Wii catalog on the Wii U, there's a lot of good Nintendo stuff there to play as well. The Wii U has a limited catalog but there's enough great first party stuff to make it worth a purchase if you have a PC or PS4 for the cross-platform stuff.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

When are Megaman's stuff getting hit by the Smash sale? MM7 may be an impulse buy when that happens.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

Bruceski posted:

When are Megaman's stuff getting hit by the Smash sale? MM7 may be an impulse buy when that happens.
Looks like it's live right now but 7 isn't included :megaman:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Pity, that. Ah well.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

That doesn't suprise me since Mega Man 7 just came out on the eShop today.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I realize its almost zero chance but I really hope they slap a translation patch on Rockman and Forte SNES rather than releasing the lovely GBA port. I mean, they have the translation already.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Anyone get their Smash Bros codes? I was platinum last year and this year, so I'm definitely covered, but I haven't gotten them yet.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I got mine a few hours later than everyone else last night. In club Nintendo did you opt to receive promotional e-mail? You have to to have gotten the codes.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

greatn posted:

I got mine a few hours later than everyone else last night. In club Nintendo did you opt to receive promotional e-mail? You have to to have gotten the codes.

poo poo, I had them turned off. Does that mean I can't get it now?

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
So I'm thinking about buying a Wii U and I know I want to get Mario Kart. I'm trying to figure out the best deal possible and I'm wondering if I should wait for any other holiday bundles or just go with the walmart version that is out right now.

Walmart has a version that has MK8 and nintendoland. I have not heard any opinion about nintendoland whatsoever.

There is also a guy on ebay selling the Mario and Luigi Wii u bundle for around 259.

Out of these options and any other holiday bundles that may come out, what would you guys go with?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Hmm. Loving my smash demo, but I wonder if demos really do what they are supposed to. I was already going to absolutely buy the WiiU version, but was undecided about the 3DS version, but now I've decided and the answer is I'll wait for the WiiU version.

All this demo did was make me not buy a game I was unsure about, so thanks Nintendo! :yoshi:

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Fritzler posted:

I've never played Mega Man, I love Castlevania games. Is Mega Man X (the one on sale on Wii U right now) a good place to start?

Mega Man X is one of the few perfect video games ever made. It never gets old. I've been playing it since it was released on the SNES and every time I play it I have a blast. Play it!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Trent posted:

All this demo did was make me not buy a game I was unsure about, so thanks Nintendo! :yoshi:

This is actually the exact reason why big-name titles don't often have demo versions anymore :v:.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I was going to not get the 3DS version, but then they announced that infernal soundtrack. After Nintendo Power giving me Smashing... Live! I feel obligated to get Smash-related soundtracks

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Excuse my lack of research, but is there going to be another monster hunter game coming out for Wii U? I am going to buy one in a few weeks for Smash Bros, but wanted to know what I have to look forward to. Thanks.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jsor posted:

I was going to not get the 3DS version, but then they announced that infernal soundtrack. After Nintendo Power giving me Smashing... Live! I feel obligated to get Smash-related soundtracks

What's this about a soundtrack?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Regy Rusty posted:

Register both version of Smash 4 with Club Nintendo, get a 2-disc soundtrack from them.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Regy Rusty posted:

If you register both the Wii U and 3DS version on Club Nintendo, you'll get a Smash Bros soundtrack.

Luckily for me I have a friend that's getting the 3DS who doesn't care about the Club Nintendo stuff, so I'm pretty much covered there.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Awesome. I only want to get the Wii U version but when I send my brother the 3DS one for his birthday I'll get him to give me the code.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

always be closing posted:

Excuse my lack of research, but is there going to be another monster hunter game coming out for Wii U? I am going to buy one in a few weeks for Smash Bros, but wanted to know what I have to look forward to. Thanks.

There hasn't been one announced for Wii U yet, just 3DS in March I think. There's a decent chance it will come out on Wii U as well, but until then you have 3 Ultimate on Wii U which is great from what I've played.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Mr E posted:

There hasn't been one announced for Wii U yet, just 3DS in March I think. There's a decent chance it will come out on Wii U as well, but until then you have 3 Ultimate on Wii U which is great from what I've played.

I bet its awesome, but according to a link in the OP, the servers are down?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I have no idea about that, I play it at my friend's apartment, and I'm not ordering a Wii U till I get payed on Monday. :v:

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Philosopher King posted:

So I'm thinking about buying a Wii U and I know I want to get Mario Kart. I'm trying to figure out the best deal possible and I'm wondering if I should wait for any other holiday bundles or just go with the walmart version that is out right now.

Walmart has a version that has MK8 and nintendoland. I have not heard any opinion about nintendoland whatsoever.

There is also a guy on ebay selling the Mario and Luigi Wii u bundle for around 259.

Out of these options and any other holiday bundles that may come out, what would you guys go with?

It's really hard to predict what is going to be released. As of right now, I think the best bang for your buck is the $200 refurbished version (comes with Nintendoland) and buying Mariokart 8 on Amazon for $50. It's a $50 discount on the Walmart bundle by buying a refurb, which are pretty much immaculate and have the same 1 year warranty as new Wii U's.

Trent posted:

It did the opposite for me. I am not too big into fighting games and my friends don't really play videogames, so I was on the fence about the game overall. I had enough fun with the demo to convince me to buy the Wii U version.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I was working on my Christmas list (in September, I know), and I want NES Remix. I literally cannot figure out how to buy the stupid thing. Amazon brings up Famicom Remix. Nintendo's website lists some sort of pack coming December 5th, but Amazon doesn't?

In short, I'm so confused, what the hell?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
You download it from the eShop. It's not a physical disc -- though I think they announced that there's going to be one at some point.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Bean posted:

I was working on my Christmas list (in September, I know), and I want NES Remix. I literally cannot figure out how to buy the stupid thing. Amazon brings up Famicom Remix. Nintendo's website lists some sort of pack coming December 5th, but Amazon doesn't?

In short, I'm so confused, what the hell?

Where do you live?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

You download it from the eShop. It's not a physical disc -- though I think they announced that there's going to be one at some point.

Yeah, the games are available as is in a Digital format but there's going to be a Physical disk version of both games combined.

No word on when that's releasing in the US though, Japan already got it (or are getting it soon) I believe.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The servers for 3U are still up, its 3 back on the Wii that got shut down.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I got Kirby Super Star from Club Nintendo coins and then bought Mega Man X/X2 and Link to the Past from the eShop while they're on sale. So far none of these have gotten me surveys from Club Nintendo. Should I not expect to get any, or is Club Nintendo still making GBS threads itself from the Smash code promo yesterday?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Kaubocks posted:

I got Kirby Super Star from Club Nintendo coins and then bought Mega Man X/X2 and Link to the Past from the eShop while they're on sale. So far none of these have gotten me surveys from Club Nintendo. Should I not expect to get any, or is Club Nintendo still making GBS threads itself from the Smash code promo yesterday?

There are no surveys for Virtual Console games.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

How else am I going to tell them I want a more varied selection of Virtual Console games?!

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

JordanKai posted:

There are no surveys for Virtual Console games.

Then why did I get 20 ten-point post-play surveys for upgrading my VC games?? :confused:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You get post play surveys, they show up after around ten days.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Yeah, the games are available as is in a Digital format but there's going to be a Physical disk version of both games combined.

No word on when that's releasing in the US though, Japan already got it (or are getting it soon) I believe.

I'm pretty sure the NES Remix disk was on the schedule for December but Nintendo plays things close to their chest so there's no actual hard release date yet.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

codenameFANGIO posted:

Then why did I get 20 ten-point post-play surveys for upgrading my VC games?? :confused:

Weird. I guess you just don't get surveys for them in Europe, then.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Hmm....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I think everyone expects it to be out before Black Friday.

• Locked thread