Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Liverpool versus Aston Villa at Anfield. Never a game for the Kop to look forward to. It doesn't seem to matter who is in either dugout or who is playing for either team, Villa have a bat habit of being a bit of a bogey team for us.
For this Liverpool fan however, this game was hotly anticipated. So far this season there's been a feeling that we're playing the waiting game. Waiting for everyone to be fit, waiting for everyone to get their debuts and most of all, waiting for the team to get used to each other and start to gel. Add to that the waiting for the sodding international games to sod the sod off and I couldn't wait for half five.
So what exactly did this game tell us?
If, like me, you have moved away from your home town in seek of fortune and women in the evil, represents everything that is wrong with the world (but I kinda love it) London then you could find yourself watching the game with the help of your laptop.
Use that technology.
Don't spend an entire football match listening to a pair of boobs drone on and on about, frankly, who cares. Mute the footy and give the game a soundtrack.
It just takes a moment or two to knock up a 90 minute playlist (or an 105 minute playlist if you wish to soundtrack half time as well) in order to truly enrich the experience.
Music is very personal, so just follow your heart but if you must insist on my advise, I recommend something dramatic and/or sinister.
Take for example the playlist I used today. Ride of the Valkyries followed by Dies Irae followed by O Fortuna followed by the choral from Beethoven's 9th symphony.... you get the idea.
Another good one is the soundtrack playlist I occasionally use. It's a bit James Bond heavy, but as I have only used the instrumental and score pieces I feel it works very well. Think 007, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, Capsule in Space, Fight at Kobe Beach, Snow Job. Mixed with a bit of Assault on Precinct 13 by John Carpenter, Dirty Harry, Bullet, The Wave (amongst others) by Lalo Schifrin, The Equalizer, Magnum PI, the theme from (the original) Battlestar Galactica. Again, you get the idea.
I tell you what else I really noticed today. I really quite like Standard Chartered's branding on our shirts. Now don't get me wrong... I would prefer that we had no corporate sponsors at all, but now is not the place for that particular argument. This is purely about the aesthetics.
Glossing over Hitachi as I can't remember that far back, our old Crown Paints kits were the best. Yes, it's because they represent a better time, a rose-tinted glance towards the pain and comforting feeling that is nostalgia, but who cares? They were loving brill.
Candy, less so. Carlsberg less so again. But at least there was a bit of symmetry. With the dominant “C” and the scripty lettering, both logos were fairly similar and inoffensive. Unless of course you despise washing machines and/or yucky lager.
I always thought the next obvious step would be to get Coca Cola as our sponsor. Again, the dominant C with scripty writing but with a company that is less offensive to countries and states that forbid alcohol. I hear they've got a penny or two and our traditional red already matches their corporate colours.
Our white, grey or silver kits could be branded with Diet Coke, any yellow kits would be Coco-Cola with Lemon, Green would be with Lime, Black could be Coke Zero. What a billion dollar idea and here I am out of work.
Anyway, it wasn't to be and we got a stupid, stupid bank that no-one has heard of. Yet today I acquiesced and realised it's OK. It's 2 words spread across 2 lines. The second word is slightly longer than the first. It is, very, very similar to the old Crown Paints logo. Lovely Stuff.
So. The game. gently caress me we were poor. I got a little distracted at times. Can you tell?
Admittedly Villa has obviously spent all week going through Roy Keanes' various ways of hatchet-jobbing a man out of a game. Mario got it all game and Sterling got it from the moment he arrived. Agricultural stuff boys, agricultural stuff.
I thought we looked a little like “classic Wenger” Arsenal today. A lot of elegant, rangy, classy players who don't seem to know how to defend, not sure what to do in front of goal and seem lightweight in comparison to their bigger, stronger, bullying opponents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

oliwan posted:

Liverpool versus Aston Villa at Anfield. Never a game for the Kop to look forward to. It doesn't seem to matter who is in either dugout or who is playing for either team, Villa have a bat habit of being a bit of a bogey team for us.
For this Liverpool fan however, this game was hotly anticipated. So far this season there's been a feeling that we're playing the waiting game. Waiting for everyone to be fit, waiting for everyone to get their debuts and most of all, waiting for the team to get used to each other and start to gel. Add to that the waiting for the sodding international games to sod the sod off and I couldn't wait for half five.
So what exactly did this game tell us?
If, like me, you have moved away from your home town in seek of fortune and women in the evil, represents everything that is wrong with the world (but I kinda love it) London then you could find yourself watching the game with the help of your laptop.
Use that technology.
Don't spend an entire football match listening to a pair of boobs drone on and on about, frankly, who cares. Mute the footy and give the game a soundtrack.
It just takes a moment or two to knock up a 90 minute playlist (or an 105 minute playlist if you wish to soundtrack half time as well) in order to truly enrich the experience.
Music is very personal, so just follow your heart but if you must insist on my advise, I recommend something dramatic and/or sinister.
Take for example the playlist I used today. Ride of the Valkyries followed by Dies Irae followed by O Fortuna followed by the choral from Beethoven's 9th symphony.... you get the idea.
Another good one is the soundtrack playlist I occasionally use. It's a bit James Bond heavy, but as I have only used the instrumental and score pieces I feel it works very well. Think 007, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, Capsule in Space, Fight at Kobe Beach, Snow Job. Mixed with a bit of Assault on Precinct 13 by John Carpenter, Dirty Harry, Bullet, The Wave (amongst others) by Lalo Schifrin, The Equalizer, Magnum PI, the theme from (the original) Battlestar Galactica. Again, you get the idea.
I tell you what else I really noticed today. I really quite like Standard Chartered's branding on our shirts. Now don't get me wrong... I would prefer that we had no corporate sponsors at all, but now is not the place for that particular argument. This is purely about the aesthetics.
Glossing over Hitachi as I can't remember that far back, our old Crown Paints kits were the best. Yes, it's because they represent a better time, a rose-tinted glance towards the pain and comforting feeling that is nostalgia, but who cares? They were loving brill.
Candy, less so. Carlsberg less so again. But at least there was a bit of symmetry. With the dominant “C” and the scripty lettering, both logos were fairly similar and inoffensive. Unless of course you despise washing machines and/or yucky lager.
I always thought the next obvious step would be to get Coca Cola as our sponsor. Again, the dominant C with scripty writing but with a company that is less offensive to countries and states that forbid alcohol. I hear they've got a penny or two and our traditional red already matches their corporate colours.
Our white, grey or silver kits could be branded with Diet Coke, any yellow kits would be Coco-Cola with Lemon, Green would be with Lime, Black could be Coke Zero. What a billion dollar idea and here I am out of work.
Anyway, it wasn't to be and we got a stupid, stupid bank that no-one has heard of. Yet today I acquiesced and realised it's OK. It's 2 words spread across 2 lines. The second word is slightly longer than the first. It is, very, very similar to the old Crown Paints logo. Lovely Stuff.
So. The game. gently caress me we were poor. I got a little distracted at times. Can you tell?
Admittedly Villa has obviously spent all week going through Roy Keanes' various ways of hatchet-jobbing a man out of a game. Mario got it all game and Sterling got it from the moment he arrived. Agricultural stuff boys, agricultural stuff.
I thought we looked a little like “classic Wenger” Arsenal today. A lot of elegant, rangy, classy players who don't seem to know how to defend, not sure what to do in front of goal and seem lightweight in comparison to their bigger, stronger, bullying opponents.

Not sure we're allowed posts from the MLS thread

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Can't stand middle eastern people commentating on football... and I'm a man city fan so... yeah , I've got nothing against them otherwise.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

PirateBob posted:

Can't stand middle eastern people commentating on football... and I'm a man city fan so... yeah , I've got nothing against them otherwise.

Wrong thread.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

what

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Mike Bradley gets paid roughly $2 mm per year by TFC more than super Jack does at Arsenal. As other, more informed posters have noted, English players don't leave the EPL because they are at a salary premium in England. They would command less money abroad. Jack could not reach his $5 mm per year abroad. Mike Bradley makes more than $7mm per year in MLS. He dose not receive the bonus of being an English player in the very rich EPL, and yet he is paid substantially more than Jack. Because his services, on the world market are valued more highly.

I dont recall Wenger having an opinion about Mike Bradley. So I can't compare it to my own. But I do know that it is a rare day for Arsenal when Jack starts. He is not a "regular starter". His starts come mostly due to injuries. Jack is a nice player, but he is 5' 6 " and 135#. Mike Bradley is 6' 1" and 180#. It is a physical game; those stats matter. Jack W would not start in front of Mike Bradley for the US.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

I can't decide if thats a bad post or not because I can't get past $2mm and 135#

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Who the gently caress is Mike Bradley?

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

jyrka posted:

A dude that couldn't get a game at Villa

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
Jack

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
super Jack

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

jyrka posted:

The 2014 FIFA World Cup's Runningest player

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Mike Bradley gets paid so much he doesn't measure his money in numbers, but in thickness of the stack. He gets paid seven millimetres dollars while Jack Wilshere only gets paid five millimetres dollars.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Monday Bandele posted:

Mike Bradley gets paid roughly $2 mm per year by TFC more than super Jack does at Arsenal. As other, more informed posters have noted, English players don't leave the EPL because they are at a salary premium in England. They would command less money abroad. Jack could not reach his $5 mm per year abroad. Mike Bradley makes more than $7mm per year in MLS. He dose not receive the bonus of being an English player in the very rich EPL, and yet he is paid substantially more than Jack. Because his services, on the world market are valued more highly.

I dont recall Wenger having an opinion about Mike Bradley. So I can't compare it to my own. But I do know that it is a rare day for Arsenal when Jack starts. He is not a "regular starter". His starts come mostly due to injuries. Jack is a nice player, but he is 5' 6 " and 135#. Mike Bradley is 6' 1" and 180#. It is a physical game; those stats matter. Jack W would not start in front of Mike Bradley for the US.

Its true that Bradley is better than pure poo poo Wilshere though

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

wrong thread

e: i thought this was the pictures thread gently caress. it is most definitely the right thread.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

No socks/shin pads or boots

dirty casual

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Don't post my picture, I don't want anyone knowing I shop at Sports Direct!

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Mickolution posted:

Don't post my picture, I don't want anyone knowing I shop at Sports Direct!

I got ten pairs of socks from SD for a fiver, you can't beat that.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
The more you quote me, the worse I post :smug:
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I DON'T NEED TO READ TO PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS
So yesterday I went to my first game of the season, got to see falcao's debut, saw my team score 4 and not concede, and even had a few beers. All would be well if there wasn't a fat gently caress with B.O next to me who had to smoke every 12 minutes.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

itsjustdrew posted:

So yesterday I went to my first game of the season, got to see falcao's debut, saw my team score 4 and not concede, and even had a few beers. All would be well if there wasn't a fat gently caress with B.O next to me who had to smoke every 12 minutes.

taff...

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

itsjustdrew posted:

did he get his arse out for a laugh?

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
i dont smoke

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

This is actually really cool and good.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I love a bit of banter

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

it was just a private bit of banter

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

I have the same shirt/number but it says Combat

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman
Mine says Ribery Im over

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

saihttam posted:

Mine says Ribery Im over

lol

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
Mine says Benzema I'm under

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

saihttam posted:

Mine says Ribery Im over
Nice

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Dench

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
I saw LFC as the Targaryens. Formerly on top, but now trying to get back to our throne.

United would be the Baratheons. No longer really in power but believe they should be, like Stannis.

Chelsea are the Lannisters. Loaded and are in power.

Man City would be the Tyrells. Fairly new to being in power and are proving to be formidable.

Arsenal would be the Martells. Biding their time patiently and then finally planning to strike after buying players like Ozil and Sanchez.

Spurs are the Greyjoys. Haven't really accomplished much recently but are trying to press their claim.

I guess that would make Everton the Starks. Strong players but no-one expects them to finish on top.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Makes perfect sense. Wrong thread.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
Nemanja Matic as the mountain just squeezing the life out of Jack Wilshere's head till it pops, sounds good I think this is the wrong forum for that post

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Brony Car posted:

I saw LFC as the Targaryens. Formerly on top, but now trying to get back to our throne.

United would be the Baratheons. No longer really in power but believe they should be, like Stannis.

Chelsea are the Lannisters. Loaded and are in power.

Man City would be the Tyrells. Fairly new to being in power and are proving to be formidable.

Arsenal would be the Martells. Biding their time patiently and then finally planning to strike after buying players like Ozil and Sanchez.

Spurs are the Greyjoys. Haven't really accomplished much recently but are trying to press their claim.

I guess that would make Everton the Starks. Strong players but no-one expects them to finish on top.

Hmm this all works, David Moyes is Ned Stark, tried to help the Baratheons (United) but got his head cut off (sacked).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Zola as Tyrion.