Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Just bought Burnt Black Suns: A Collection of Weird Tales and Year's Best Weird Fiction, Volume One as I am suddenly interested in some dark gothic horror tales. Only other stuff I've read is Lovecraft and Poe, if that counts.

Any other good collection recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

thehomemaster posted:

I felt Nightingale Songs was the better Strantzas collection, though Burnt Black Suns is still a good book.

If you liked Lovecraft, I'd recommend picking up the two Book of Cthulhu anthologies, and from there check out any of the authors that stick out in your mind.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

thehomemaster posted:

Just bought Burnt Black Suns: A Collection of Weird Tales and Year's Best Weird Fiction, Volume One as I am suddenly interested in some dark gothic horror tales. Only other stuff I've read is Lovecraft and Poe, if that counts.

Since you're asking :), I have a story in a new cosmic horror anthology titled Cthulhu Lives!, which launches today. Joshi liked the book enough to put his name to an afterword.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Amazon keeps telling me I should read Richard Gavin. How good are his short stories?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Neurosis posted:

Amazon keeps telling me I should read Richard Gavin. How good are his short stories?

Very.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Sold.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp

Ornamented Death posted:

I felt Nightingale Songs was the better Strantzas collection, though Burnt Black Suns is still a good book.

If you liked Lovecraft, I'd recommend picking up the two Book of Cthulhu anthologies, and from there check out any of the authors that stick out in your mind.

Looked at my bookshelf and saw the 1st Book of Cthulhu so I'm sorted already!

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So has any one read Delta Green: Tales From the Failed Anatomies? I've been reading though it since I backed in on Kickstarter and it might be easy to dismiss as just game fiction but it's really good. It's given me one of my favorite lines about cosmic horror, or the entities that have come to represent the Cthulhu Mythos.

Robin D. Law posted:

You
Your dossiers
Your databases
Your theories and speculations
You call us malign
We are not malign
Malign ≠ Indifferent

Malign≠ Indifferent, drat does that sum it really nice in mind.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I love this thread. Finished Ship of Fools by Richard Paul Russo not too long ago, and just loaded up on The Void by Brett J. Talley as well as some Laird Barron stuff. Good horrific times.

Poutling
Dec 26, 2005

spacebunny to the rescue

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I love this thread. Finished Ship of Fools by Richard Paul Russo not too long ago, and just loaded up on The Void by Brett J. Talley as well as some Laird Barron stuff. Good horrific times.

I found The Void to be derivative and boring, which disappointed me because That Which Should Not Be was very good.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

To be fair, the theme and setting appears to be right up my alley, which usually means that I'm willing to be very forgiving with a lot of the other stuff.

immolationsex
Sep 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I ENJOY RUINING STEAK LIKE A GODDAMN BARBARIAN

Nuclear Tourist posted:

To be fair, the theme and setting appears to be right up my alley, which usually means that I'm willing to be very forgiving with a lot of the other stuff.
Oh jesus christ man, DON'T. I promise you you will regret it if you do.

please let us know what you think once you're done

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Ghostwoods posted:

Declare is a slow burn, sure, but I found it beautiful, tantalising, and engrossing. If it's not your sort of thing then that's fine, but I can't accept that it needs editing. I had a look at the Void's Amazon sample though, and yes, the writing does seem ham-fisted. It's a lot less dire than 99% of stuff on the Kindle store, but that's not exactly a recommendation nowadays.

I just re-read Declare. I first read it a few years back upon recommendations from this very forum. I thought it was a bore when I read it first.

I don't know what I was thinking. What a great novel. Helps to have a few Wikipedia tabs open while reading.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I have a .mobi file, "The Complete Works of HP Lovecraft" that is just over a meg. I don't know if it counts as files, as I have no recollection of where I even got it.
Would it be okay to post it here, or would it be frowned upon?

It loads up on a kindle perfectly.

Oh, one other thing, if it is cool to put up, does anyone know a good place to host it?

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 15, 2014

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

Is it from http://cthulhuchick.com/free-complete-lovecraft-ebook-nook-kindle/ ?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Yep. Never mind, but it's worth downloading if anyone hasn't already.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Just got done with "A Night in the Lonesome October" by Roger Zelazny. It was a fun read and well worth getting from your local library. I don't have any interest in reading it again but he does spin a good tale. It has loads of Lovecraftian elements but isn't a particularly scary story. It's more humorous than anything.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'm glad I read it.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

AFewBricksShy posted:

I have a .mobi file, "The Complete Works of HP Lovecraft" that is just over a meg. I don't know if it counts as files, as I have no recollection of where I even got it.
Would it be okay to post it here, or would it be frowned upon?

It loads up on a kindle perfectly.

Oh, one other thing, if it is cool to put up, does anyone know a good place to host it?
I'm no expert on the matter, but I as far as I remember, of the collected works of Lovecraft, some of the later ones are still in copyright in the US along with a smattering of other places which have incredibly silly long copyright terms due to creeping length extensions being pushed through at regular intervals due to pressure from companies like Disney, whereas they have all long since fallen into the public domain in most of the rest of the world which only implement the minimum length of copyright terms as required by the Berne convention.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

immolationsex posted:

Oh jesus christ man, DON'T. I promise you you will regret it if you do.

please let us know what you think once you're done

Just finished it. Yeah, it wasn't that good. I quite liked some of the dream/nightmare sequences which at times almost reminded me of Kubrick's 2001. The way Omega Sector and the planet Anubis were described were pretty awesome as well. But there wasn't quite enough there to make me forgive the rather flat characterization, which is something that I tend to have a high tolerance for if the book nails the atmosphere. I also have a hard time not rolling my eyes whenever the author's idea of space travel basically amounts to "Take US Navy, (including nautical terms) transplant into space. Done."

I don't think I disliked it quite as much as you did, but it definitely wasn't en par with Blindsight, Ship of Fools, Hull Zero Three et al in terms of space horror.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
Thomas Ligotti is one of my three favorite authors of all time.

If you are a Lovecraft fan, a Poe fan, or a fan of the existentialists, you should go buy digital editions of his work.

My Work Is Not Yet Done is a wonderful horror and revenge tale that takes on corporate America better than any cyberpunk author ever did. Good starting place.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Dead Sea was some great pulp on a higher level than I expected, thanks for the recommends. I didn't quite expect the "everything and the kitchen sink kills someone" approach which seemed to make it drag out a bit longer than I'd have liked (especially at the end as everyone is snipped off abruptly which seems to not do much but avoid a complicated epilogue) however, it was a mostly well-written (if poorly edited in kindle) novel which tied off all of the loose ends fairly snappily right when I thought it was in danger of flailing out of control.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Magic Lamp posted:

So I've always been wanting to try out some Lovecraft and recently picked up a book containing a collection of his works:

Dagon
    The Statement of Randolph Carter
    Facts Concerning the Late Arthur Jermyn and His Family
    Nyarlathotep
    The Picture in the House
    The Outsider
    The Music of Erich Zann
    Herbert West--Reanimator
    The Lurking Fear
    The Rats in the Walls
    The Festival
    The Shunned House
    Cool Air
    The Call of Cthulhu
    Pickman's Model
    The Case of Charles Dexter Ward
    The Colour out of Space
    The Dunwich Horror
    The Whisperer in Darkness
    At the Mountains of Madness
    The Shadow over Innsmouth
    The Thing on the Doorstep
    The Shadow out of Time
    The Haunter of the Dark

As someone who's never touched any lovecraftian works, which ones do you recommend I read and in what order? (I don't really want to read through all of it at once)

If you read five, read:

The Music of Erich Zann
The Rats in the Walls
The Colour out of Space
Nyarlathotep
The Call of Cthulhu

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

Sobatchja Morda posted:

If you read five, read:

The Music of Erich Zann
The Rats in the Walls
The Colour out of Space
Nyarlathotep
The Call of Cthulhu

I recommend The Outsider whole heartedly.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
I'm generally more of a fan of what other people did with Lovecraft's ideas, than Lovecraft's actual writing, but the Music of Eric Zann and The Colour out of Space are pretty amazing.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

coyo7e posted:

Dead Sea was some great pulp on a higher level than I expected, thanks for the recommends. I didn't quite expect the "everything and the kitchen sink kills someone" approach which seemed to make it drag out a bit longer than I'd have liked (especially at the end as everyone is snipped off abruptly which seems to not do much but avoid a complicated epilogue) however, it was a mostly well-written (if poorly edited in kindle) novel which tied off all of the loose ends fairly snappily right when I thought it was in danger of flailing out of control.

I found the repeated descriptions of the water and fog pretty obnoxious after the 100th repeat. Could have cut 200 pages and made a better book.

I will say that The Hive by the same author is much better and worth a read. It's essentially At the Mountains of Madness extended edition.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

What's the short story where they find out if you die you get reincarnated on another planet and spend your life their screaming in alien insanity ? Probably Lovecraft but not positive.

langurmonkey
Oct 29, 2011

Getting healthy by posting on the Internet

God Of Paradise posted:

I recommend The Outsider whole heartedly.

The Shadow out of Time is also nice and weird. A lot of the lovecraft tales are available on librivox as public domain audiobooks, some of the narrators are excellent.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Hughlander posted:

What's the short story where they find out if you die you get reincarnated on another planet and spend your life their screaming in alien insanity ? Probably Lovecraft but not positive.

"Through the Gates of the Silver Key" has a loosely similar theme but probably not exactly what you're referring to.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

Aspies on a Plane. Also, a great sleeping aid.

Dr. Benway fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Sep 22, 2014

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
The short story called Come and Go Mad is a good one by Lovecraft. Shockingly, no racism in it either!

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012

Hughlander posted:

Not sure. But I believe you are thinking of Azathoth, the idiot god. It is a red star aimlessly devouring all intelligence it comes near in the galaxy. It is only soothed by high pitched atonal whistles. A snippet of a story called Azathoth was written by Lovecraft. That's not what I'm talking about. I forget the story's name where Azathoth is featured.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Hughlander posted:

Does it have an alien cat goddess/planet? (Not a nice story. Saw it on here at some point.)

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Just read A Colder War in the book of cthulhu, and found I'd already read it at some point. Something I caught this time that somehow (maybe I was drunk last time) I didn't catch before, is that the main character is fairly sure he's dead and existing inside cthulhu's mind as a simulation. If so, when did it happen? Must have been around when he was getting interrogated and that stopped and he was rushed to the masada holdout? It's just weird that there's no break in the narrative or anything. Did I miss something else?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

redreader posted:

Just read A Colder War in the book of cthulhu, and found I'd already read it at some point. Something I caught this time that somehow (maybe I was drunk last time) I didn't catch before, is that the main character is fairly sure he's dead and existing inside cthulhu's mind as a simulation.

He's not sure of that, that's his fear about what happens to those who didn't make it through the gate. They don't just get eaten.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012

A Colder War is one of the only times I've enjoyed a non-Lovecraft Cthulhu story. The ending has this funny, like, You Lose computer game screen feel to it.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Phanatic posted:

He's not sure of that, that's his fear about what happens to those who didn't make it through the gate. They don't just get eaten.

He doesn't commit suicide specifically because he suspects that if he does, an alternate life for him will appear (because he's a simulation) that might be worse than this one.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

A Colder War is probably one of my favorite horror novellas. Stross did an excellent job of blending a spy thriller with things humanity shouldn't be loving around with. It's one of those stories I just have to pull out and reread at least once a year.

I picked up The Imago Sequence for $2 on Amazon yesterday (don't know if it's still on sale) and just got through reading Procession of the Black Sloth. I recognize it as a descent into hell especially the part where his punishment is to gouge his eyes out as result of a lifetime of what is essentially sanctioned voyeurism but I'm not getting the point of the old ladies' club. Is it something that makes more sense if you have some background knowledge of Buddhism?

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Peztopiary posted:

Does it have an alien cat goddess/planet? (Not a nice story. Saw it on here at some point.)
Well, that was... something else. :stare:

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
What Laird Barron collection would you guys recommend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Peztopiary posted:

That was...weird. Then again, I cannot, for a single second, believe that anything based on a cat would only harm those who are evil. Cats are fantastic, but they are little furry psychopaths. Just imagine how cute that hell-planet would look hiding in a box!