Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I'll be using it for Amazon US for getting the episodes, assuming they'll do the same for Season 4 and put it online like S3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

uncleKitchener posted:

Korra channeling Bryan Fury here.

Also, the new bob cut is nice.

When is the new season premier again? Word of god was that it's supposed to be on Oct 3rd, but is it gonna be this year?

so her hair is shorter? I'm not really seeing what's different here outside of the fact that her hair isn't tied up or anything. I don't know hair though, I just wash mine and pull a comb through it so I don't look like Wolverine from my bedhead

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Aces High posted:

so her hair is shorter? I'm not really seeing what's different here outside of the fact that her hair isn't tied up or anything. I don't know hair though, I just wash mine and pull a comb through it so I don't look like Wolverine from my bedhead

Yes it is just shorter and not tied. The last few episodes of season 2 showed her longer hair down which is where

Wildeyes posted:

I wonder how this new hairstyle will go down with the "Korra needs to wear her hair down more" lobby

the hair-down lobby started.

You thought he was joking? Nope! Avatar fans.

Buggalo
Mar 31, 2010
Ÿuùu

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
I'm waiting for a "korra looks more attractive with her hair down" post.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

korra looks more attactive with her hair down.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

gently caress

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I wouldn't have known it was airing on October 3rd if I hadn't visited this thread. Also, none of my Avatar-loving friends on FB have posted about this either.

Pretty amazing promotion going on here, Nick.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I love how we also haven't gotten any info since the announcement aside from Korra's new look. Kind of hard to get hyped when there isn't anything to let us get hyped.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
Pretty obvious they just want to get rid of it.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Babygravy posted:

Pretty obvious they just want to get rid of it.
Why are they trying to kill the show so badly? Scared of the adult demo for their kids show?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

JT Jag posted:

Why are they trying to kill the show so badly? Scared of the adult demo for their kids show?

They are a business and this show makes them no money.

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Sep 14, 2014

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

PriorMarcus posted:

They are a business and this show makes them no money. It's not some grand conspiracy.
The first book did well enough to get a full four seasons greenlit. Did ratings just plummet between now and then, or can Nick just not figure out a way to produce merchandise for the show?

Wouldn't surprise me, Cartoon Network didn't know how market Titan Maximum, and that was a show about a loving Giant Robot, the easiest TV genre to make toys for ever.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

uncleKitchener posted:

I'll be using it for Amazon US for getting the episodes, assuming they'll do the same for Season 4 and put it online like S3.
Don't you need an adress and bank account in the U.S.A on top of the IP to set up an Amazon Vid account? Plus, if they only stream, wouldn't it better to stick to the Nickelodeon website?

JT Jag posted:

Wouldn't surprise me, Cartoon Network didn't know how market Titan Maximum, and that was a show about a loving Giant Robot, the easiest TV genre to make toys for ever.
Didn't that show die because one of the creators (Seth Green) decided to focus on his cash-cow franchise?

And do they make toys for an Adult Swim series?

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy

JT Jag posted:

Burn through the contract I guess.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I think JT Jag meant Sym-Bionic Titan, which was indeed killed because of merchandising.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

kefkafloyd posted:

I think JT Jag meant Sym-Bionic Titan, which was indeed killed because of merchandising.
That makes more sense.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

X_Toad posted:

Don't you need an adress and bank account in the U.S.A on top of the IP to set up an Amazon Vid account? Plus, if they only stream, wouldn't it better to stick to the Nickelodeon website?

I got two and of three of those covered. Do I actually need a US account for that? Can't I just use amazon gift cards?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

JT Jag posted:

The first book did well enough to get a full four seasons greenlit. Did ratings just plummet between now and then, or can Nick just not figure out a way to produce merchandise for the show?

I believe the issue was like Young Justice where they wanted people who watched their other shows (and bought those toys) to watch the show and buy their toys but instead they got a different crowd who watched the show (and still bought toys).

Except in this case it was "Older people watching Korra instead of 8 year olds-tweens" instead of "Girls watching Young Justice instead of boys".

computer parts fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 14, 2014

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

I mean, it doesn't really matter when it comes out.

Korra's a series that was designed to end. As long as none of the animation or art was rushed, it's not really a big deal.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Grump posted:

I mean, it doesn't really matter when it comes out.

Korra's a series that was designed to end. As long as none of the animation or art was rushed, it's not really a big deal.

But I want its creators to slave away in a single creative universe for my benefit for eternity!

Mostly, to me, its the (perhaps bad) assumption that if there is an attempt to bring back the series in some fashion in the future it'll always have the spectre of "the show that Nickelodeon didn't even want" hanging above it but if it manages to end well next month, I'll be happy.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Grump posted:

I'm waiting for a "korra looks more attractive with her hair down" post.

I mean, she looks more fierce. As if she's been in a fight and her hair came out of the ponytail or whatever, but she's like "gently caress it, ain't got time to fix it, keep going."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think it's pretty safe to assume that this is the end of Avatar TV shows. Maybe it'll continue in comics/games or get some kind of animated special a few years down the line but I really doubt we'll see more Avatar on TV.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I don't mind other Avatar-related shows since this concept has loads of potential and you can milk it 'till it's dried and dead, but I won't mind if the creators go onto other concepts either. They're a creative bunch and can probably come up with something as exciting as Avatar.

What kind of Korra-related merchandising are there?

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

ImpAtom posted:

I think it's pretty safe to assume that this is the end of Avatar TV shows. Maybe it'll continue in comics/games or get some kind of animated special a few years down the line but I really doubt we'll see more Avatar on TV.

We already aren't seeing more Avatar on TV, and the current series isn't even over yet. I do agree it'll be more specials and the like in the future. Probably easier to fund a 60-90 minute movie than a full season.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Duration: 90 mins
Rated TV-MA for intense fantasy violence.
:black101:

I'd probably throw in a few bucks for a :kyoshi101: or :korra101: smiley, to be honest.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I kind of want to see something new from Bryan and Mike after Avatar; I mean they've done Eastern Mythology/fantasy why not do a thing that's a bit more... classical?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Because then you don't get all of the anime dorks that prop up this show

Although I guess they could still do it in the anime style and the same dorks would flock to it

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

achillesforever6 posted:

I kind of want to see something new from Bryan and Mike after Avatar; I mean they've done Eastern Mythology/fantasy why not do a thing that's a bit more... classical?

Excellent post/avatar combo.

Also, it'd be pretty cool to see a cartoon show with an Avatar-like arc-based story based on Classical mythology (yes, yes, I've seen Disney's Hercules and all that).

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

Excellent post/avatar combo.

Also, it'd be pretty cool to see a cartoon show with an Avatar-like arc-based story based on Classical mythology (yes, yes, I've seen Disney's Hercules and all that).
I mean all you have to do is change away all the rape origins and it could work. Jason and the Argonauts could work or the Odyssey or the Trojan Cycle; I mean Hollywood has already hosed up that easy money train of making a LOTR style Trojan War movie, so why not making an animated version in the style of Avatar?

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet
They could always make a anthology miniseries that uses the library as a narrator/story nexus.
Ps. I don't see the point of another rehash of overused Greek mythology. A better alternative would be a Phoenician myth (Baal cycle anyone) or maybe a account of the rise of Mithras.

Sithsaber fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Sep 14, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Do some Middle Eastern or Sub-Saharan African sort of stuff.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

computer parts posted:

Do some Middle Eastern or Sub-Saharan African sort of stuff.

My thought exactly. (See the rest of my post)

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Yeah that's true; there is a lot of interesting mythology besides the whole "Holy Trinity" of mythologies you learn about in school or by playing Age Of Mythology.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
I want that Peanuts meets FLCL project they mentioned in the Nerdist writers podcast. I don't care for FLCL story-wise (or complete lack thereof), but I can appreciate the love of the visual esthetics.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jorghnassen posted:

I want that Peanuts meets FLCL project they mentioned in the Nerdist writers podcast. I don't care for FLCL story-wise (or complete lack thereof), but I can appreciate the love of the visual esthetics.

Hey, FLCL has a story, it's just that it's composed entirely of penis metaphors.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet
Oh my God, the story en abyme will be Charlie Brown leaving the team after kicking the winning field goal. There are three pieces of sexual subtext hidden in that sentence.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Four seasons is a pretty good lifespan for a cartoon show, all things considered. I just wish this had hit its stride earlier so that more than two (assuming book 4 continues doing things right) could be kickin' rad

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Jorghnassen posted:

The story is 'boy comes of age', it's not convoluted or nonexistent at all. The plot is disjointed, but the stupid meme that FLCL is just a bunch of disconnected animation is ridiculous.

Besides, the soundtrack is responsible for like 90% of the show's quality all by itself

:goonsay: I'm sorry, I'm a big fan of FLCL

Here's a blog post by an anime/film nerd that explains FLCL

http://animeyearbyyear.wordpress.com/2014/07/24/2001-2/

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

JT Jag posted:

Ratings tanked pretty hard. The first season aired on Saturday mornings and got 4.5 million viewers for the premier and 3.7 for the finale. Then season two aired Friday nights and got 2.6 for the season premier and had some erratic (never high) ratings during the season ending on a 2 million. Then season 3, also Friday nights, premiered at 1.5 million and each episode steadily declined until a negligible uptick with the final episode that was aired on TV. Judging by a quick look at their other shows around that time slot, something like a steady 2.5-3 million with the occasional higher bump would have been acceptable, but not a full million less and dropping.

So, in addition to whatever demographic/merchandising problems they were having, the raw numbers just weren't there. Perhaps that is also their fault for moving it from Saturdays to Fridays, or cutting the budget or airing it with little promotion or whatever, but basically the show failed to keep its audience through all that crap. I think the show's creators are not blameless however, season 2 was pretty bad. Part of making what is really a huge collaborative effort with multiple organizations and people who all want different things is doing the best you can with what you get stuck with, and I don't think they delivered on that front. A stronger season 2 might have kept the show afloat long enough for season 3's actual goodness to get noticed.

I am okay with this being the end of Avatar on TV. The first show was good enough on its own, and now we've already gotten the spin-off thing that continues in its spirit even if it's not quite as good as an added exploration of the world and its characters. Part of the fun of the first series was getting to know the world and exploring those concepts at a basic level and then going deeper with it then you might expect. Any other Avatar series can't really do the same thing. If you want that sort of feeling again it takes an all new fictional world.

• Locked thread