Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

nope, still dont see a connection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConorT
Sep 24, 2007

star wars and star trek and firefly are all very bad, and it should be unsurprising that all board games based on them are also bad

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Hot Dog Day #31 posted:

played some more x wing miniatures and got a core set with more incoming. game owns.

I'm going to buy armada because I hate money

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

The empire strikes back is an incredibly ftw movie actually.

Also space alert is a memory game you guys hahahah

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
well you have to remember the rules

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Impermanent posted:

well you have to remember the rules
there was a guy in the last meetup i went to that just did not understand rules: any rule
i taught him and two either newbies tigris & euphrates and by the end of the game the other newbies were explaining him the rules , since he got wrong the same rule over and over again

never playing with that guy again, it was torture

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
So x wing minis game is terrible?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Flaggy posted:

i kinda like it although its too random at times, especially with damage resolution
the simultaneous movement is cool but you can get that for wings of glory/war as well, so just go for the theme that interests you the most

dont buy star trek attack wing though, its awful

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Flaggy posted:

No, it means space alert is a memory game. Also I cry if I lose.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

ConorT posted:

star wars and star trek and firefly are all very bad, and it should be unsurprising that all board games based on them are also bad

ds9 is awesome and i will fight you.

for years i've wanted to make a ds9 traitor game that fixes bsg.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Lord Frisk posted:

No, it means space alert is a memory game. Also I cry if I lose.
dont cry, remember what our lord jesus christ taught us

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
Has anyone ever tried a dr who themed bg? Geeks would eat that up

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

yeah maybe

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Is it fascism yet posted:

Has anyone ever tried a dr who themed bg? Geeks would eat that up

iirc there's a dr who chrononauts which is an appropriate level of poo poo for that franchise

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

something is coming to my doorstep with something tomorrow :q:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I'm currently trading my Legend of Drizzt boardgame for an unplayed copy of Caylus, complete with angry scowl art. I think I made out like a bandit on this deal.

Anybody have luck with bgg trades? This is my first.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

someone contacted me about 1860 even though i hadnt listed it to trade, i asked him what he was willing to pay, he said 40 pounds

i got the game ready for shipping and after a week i go 'hey dude what's up' and he tells me he found a brand new copy locally for much cheaper

you set the price rear end in a top hat, not me :argh:

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Lord Frisk posted:

I'm currently trading my Legend of Drizzt boardgame for an unplayed copy of Caylus, complete with angry scowl art. I think I made out like a bandit on this deal.

Anybody have luck with bgg trades? This is my first.

Got Napoleon's Triumph for Commands and Colors Ancients which I had gotten from the GMT tough economy offer. I'm still amazed.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

cenotaph posted:

Got Napoleon's Triumph for Commands and Colors Ancients which I had gotten from the GMT tough economy offer. I'm still amazed.

Holy crap. Whoever traded that is the dumbest person on the planet.

EDIT: Even if they don't like NT, they could have sold it for all the money.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Someone on Facebook posted:

After playing up to a dozen games at home I was really surprised to see how much depth and strategy we stumbled across in the first Games Lab tournament ... so many questions and tactics no one had thought of on their own.

The game in question? Boss Monster.

SMFH. As if a tournament in BM wasn't bad enough to begin with…

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!

isnemis posted:

Hey board game thread. I played Twilight Struggle and it was awesome. Lots of fun was had by all. Now I just need to convince my wife that we should get that instead of Adventure Time Munchkin.

buying it was the easy part. Not sure I'll ever get my wife to play it

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

got my copy of FIRE IN THE LAKE, some pics:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Tekopo posted:

it took me a minute but :golfclap:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

it took me a minute but :golfclap:
:q:

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
B^U

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

Keyflower is so loving good

Is the spring 'tavern' ever worth bidding on?? So hard to upgrade unless workshop is on the table

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Spiking posted:

Keyflower is so loving good

Is the spring 'tavern' ever worth bidding on?? So hard to upgrade unless workshop is on the table

i loving love Keyflower, it breaks my heart that i never get to play it. probably the best dry euro made in years

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
Anyone play vinhos

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Tekopo posted:

The only COIN game I'm missing :arghfist:

Inspired post though.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i played Tragedy Looper as the mastermind last night, game is actually really sick, probably the only game to live up to its hype since Archipelago IMHO

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Hey tekopo, if I wanted to buy an 18xx game, what ones are still available? I read the thread and saw you recommended 1846. That would be my ideal, but the sucker has vanished from the marketplace like a fart in high wind.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

We have this once a year get together thing and last year The Resistance was a huge hit, and everyone was looking forward to it yesterday. I wanted to use Merlin and the Assassin for the first time but we played like 2-3 regular games because there were a lot of new players. I finally added in the two roles but by then everyone was too drunk to follow directions, and the setup got hosed up 5 times in a row, each time in a different way (someone not opening their eyes, someone making a movement that was heard by neighbors, someone revealing their role before the game even started) god loving dammit

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
lemme get this straight-- dead of winter is bsg but with zombies, sometimes no traitor, and a shitload more dice?

somebody loving shoot me.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Broken Loose posted:

lemme get this straight-- dead of winter is bsg but with zombies, sometimes no traitor, and a shitload more dice?

somebody loving shoot me.

A little bit of reading suggests the traitor mechanic is seriously broken a lot of the time too, in that the traitor doesn't have to do anything traitorous at all until the end of the game, at which point they tank their team's performance in every metric at once

sometimes the game also effectively gives them two turns in a row with which to do this lol

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
yeah I'm not sure how dead of winter is getting so much praise from everyone, it looks like poo poo to me though maybe if I played it I would fall in love. The funniest bit to me is the idea of a traitor in a zombie game, like that theres one person whos just like "nah man, I'm on the zombie's team, can't wait to be eaten"

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Because it's "thematic".

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Went to a friends house. Played Betrayal at House on the Hill with him and a few of his friends. It was alright I guess, a few amusing moments. Lots of very stupid moments as well though - one poor bastard died within one turn of the haunt in both games we played.
Queue conversation as we packed up the game.

Me: I don't think I can say that was a good game as it was way too random and the player elimination sucks. It was entertaining enough, though.

Other Guy: Yeah but it was fun though and that's really the measure of whether a game is good or not.

Sigh.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I've played dow twice now and one had a traitor, the other didn't

It was...honestly not very fun. Traitor won first game by, yeah, just tanking everything all at once late and muh, all done.

Second game I had to go kill off one of my characters and someone else's to finish my goal (making lots of noise to go look for a gun so lots of zomibes would come to one area), but...we won, and I won with my goal so yeah. It did not feel satisfying in the least, I think it would make a better storytelling game using just the crossroads cards tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
i have never played, and will never play dow

• Locked thread