Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

Jesto fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jul 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

Jesto posted:

The game will go on forever. He was toying with the idea of having a plot resolution after 2 years, where you either get the Jojo Market or the Community Center depending on what you do, but there was a backlash against that. Now it's been reduced to shopping at Jojo Market in order to help it grow, or building the community center to help it grow, both at your leisure.

Which is amazing and I still really can't wait for Stardew Valley. Although looking at his list.

quote:

Lots and lots of polishing, fiddling with gameplay, and tying up any loose threads

This pretty much guarantees we're realistically looking at mid-2015, assuming he doesn't do an early access/beta release.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Jesto posted:

The game will go on forever. He was toying with the idea of having a plot resolution after 2 years, where you either get the Jojo Market or the Community Center depending on what you do, but there was a backlash against that. Now it's been reduced to shopping at Jojo Market in order to help it grow, or building the community center to help it grow, both at your leisure.

I like this a lot more. It reminds me of the relaxed pace of Animal Crossing. I can just be a chill pixel farmer.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

drunken officeparty posted:

Is there going to be any sort of time limit or win condition or something? One of my least favorite parts of the Harvest Moon series is how you can't just peacefully farm forever and the game will end itself for you.

I'm not sure that's true excluding a few of the older ones and A Wonderful Life. Pretty sure Friends of Mineral Town, Island of Happiness, and A New Beginning went on forever. Not sure about any others because I've only played the four listed.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Jesto posted:

Too bad. I'm sure it'll still be good fun, but the time limit window was, weirdly enough, my favorite part about Harvest Moon and HM64. It's an incentive that keeps you engaged in a fairly repetitive genre.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

The White Dragon posted:

Too bad. I'm sure it'll still be good fun, but the time limit window was, weirdly enough, my favorite part about Harvest Moon and HM64. It's an incentive that keeps you engaged in a fairly repetitive genre.

I agree, even if it's not 'saving the town', but something more personal, like earning enough to keep your farm going year by year, or having to perform enough renovations on it to keep it from being declared unlivable and put up for sale.

Then again, backlash...for whatever reason.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

J.A.B.C. posted:

I agree, even if it's not 'saving the town', but something more personal, like earning enough to keep your farm going year by year, or having to perform enough renovations on it to keep it from being declared unlivable and put up for sale.

Then again, backlash...for whatever reason.

Maybe just make a time limit optional. It wouldn't be hard.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
Recettear had a similar time limit thing that I enjoyed; where you had to make monthly payments on a huge bill.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

The White Dragon posted:

Unless I've really missed my guess, didn't HM64 have both?

You had like two years to run a profitable farm, and then the game went into endless mode. Honestly I don't think it was possible to actually lose the farm at HM64's "ending" short of sleeping for two straight in game years.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

SourceElement posted:

Unless I've really missed my guess, didn't HM64 have both?

You had like two years to run a profitable farm, and then the game went into endless mode. Honestly I don't think it was possible to actually lose the farm at HM64's "ending" short of sleeping for two straight in game years.

I'm pretty sure only the first Harvest Moon had a hard time limit whereupon the game then ended. The second one for the Game Boy might also have had that. After that there was always an endless mode - most games after the first few don't even have a real time limit at all with the occasional exception of romantic rivals, allowing you to calmly farm as you will.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
A Wonderful Life also had a definite end, mainly due to time passing in that game, though you could play after that despite, well, the end being you literally dying, so I guess it's a mix of the two? It also had at least one point where you could get a game over by not acting soon enough (not getting married, I believe). Maybe one or two others as well; I hear that your wife can leave you and take the kid if you gently caress up badly enough.

That game was kind of depressing, really. Old lady dies, leaving husband alone; bachelorettes end up having awful lives; you get to have a strained relationship with your kid (who can also have depression) as they grow up; and you actually die in the end, among other things.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
When is this thing supposed to be out?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

quote:

Hi everyone!

The community center is complete… I described it a bit in the last update, but here’s a quick rundown (this post contains minor spoilers):

No time limit to complete the community center.
Community center is divided into 6 “rooms”.
Each room requires the completion of a certain number of “bundles” to be restored.
Each bundle you complete earns you a small (but useful!) reward.
Here’s the menu for a single bundle, the “Artisan Bundle”… on the left is the player inventory, on the right the list of ingredients accepted in this bundle and the bundle slots that need to be filled.

When you complete all bundles in a room, that room is restored. As a reward, a positive change happens in the game world (more info below).
What are these “positive changes to the world”?

Well, for example, the repair of this bridge:

And the steam power required to get this minecart transportation system back up and running:

Just to name a couple.

Now, about Joja Corporation… I’ve decided not to impose a time limit on players. Here’s my new Joja concept:

JojaMart already exists when you arrive in town. In fact, Joja’s presence is the reason the community center has fallen into disrepair, and why the local mom and pop businesses are suffering. Some townspeople long for the old days, when local businesses were thriving and the town had a strong sense of unity. Others welcome the convenience and affordability of the JojaMart.

The player can proceed in multiple ways:

1. Do nothing. Joja mart will stay in business, and the community center will stay dilapidated and unusable.

2. Restore the community center by completing bundles. Make positive changes to the game world along the way. When this is complete, the local JojaMart will go out of business, and the community center will be restored to its former glory.

3. Ignore the community center and instead help expand JojaMart by spending money. Joja Co. will make positive changes to the game world for a fee. The community center will be demolished forever. The player will receive discounts on Joja products.

This allows players to proceed at their own pace and choose a pathway that suits their own gameplay style and philosophical preference. For players who want more of a challenge, there may be achievements and/or rewards for completing these paths within a set time limit.

What’s left?

Joja Mart Building

Domestic/Family life

Finalizing multiplayer

Lots and lots of polishing, fiddling with gameplay, and tying up any loose threads

Fun little touches and secrets

More Testing

Release

Summer is drawing to a close, which is good. It’s a lot easier to be productive when the day is cool and dim.

Thanks for reading!

-Ape

So, still no definitive timeframe, and I doubt it'll be out before 2015.

e: drat, it's been a year and a half since he released the trailer, now.
I guess the Chucklefish-publishing let him keep working on it longer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO1gjnmgKAM

SubNat fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Sep 14, 2014

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

A Wonderful Life also had a definite end, mainly due to time passing in that game, though you could play after that despite, well, the end being you literally dying, so I guess it's a mix of the two? It also had at least one point where you could get a game over by not acting soon enough (not getting married, I believe). Maybe one or two others as well; I hear that your wife can leave you and take the kid if you gently caress up badly enough.

That game was kind of depressing, really. Old lady dies, leaving husband alone; bachelorettes end up having awful lives; you get to have a strained relationship with your kid (who can also have depression) as they grow up; and you actually die in the end, among other things.

Tell me about it. First time experiencing the time skip, it was all Oh man, look at all this new cool stuff, I have a kid, people have aged and moved around, THE NICE OLD LADY NEXT DOOR DIED? gently caress.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
He also hasn't crowdfunded it so either he's working on it part time or he has the means to afford to work on it full time. I suppose chucklefish could probably be fronting dev costs.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

He also hasn't crowdfunded it so either he's working on it part time or he has the means to afford to work on it full time. I suppose chucklefish could probably be fronting dev costs.

Nah, Chucklefish actually has very little money exchanging hands for being a publisher.

Mollygos posted:

We generally ask for 10% from sales-- we don't take any money from Kickstarters or other crowdfunding campaigns. In return we publish them on Steam, assist with press and marketing, provide them with websites and forums if they want them, and any advice or guidance.

Pretty hands-off, all said. So yeah, it's kind of amazing all that CApe has done as a one-person team in their own time with their own money

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
.......So Chucklefish do essentially nothing but skim 10% of your sales? That's utter garbage.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

YOURFRIEND posted:

.......So Chucklefish do essentially nothing but skim 10% of your sales? That's utter garbage.

That's actually more reasonable than a lot of publishers. A publisher's job is mostly to handle websites and other marketting which Chucklefish does for their clients (outside of actually contributing funding, but Chucklefish doesn't do that directly.)

Some skim as high as 40-50% which is truly ridiculous.

EDIT: \/ Almost every game published on Steam (yes, even a lot of the ones through Greenlight) has at least hired a/some consultant(s) to get them up there who take royalties. Even the one man projects need help.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 14, 2014

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
I mean you can self publish on Steam. That is the point of Steam. This game would get greenlighted almost immediately. Press is easy to come by with a niche title like this, people who enjoy the subgenre will spread it via word of mouth and you just write up a little blurb and send a demo to every gaming website. All of the websites of games they publish are identical, it's just a template and if you are adept enough to singlehandedly code and do all your art for a game then I imagine making a website can't be that much of a hurdle. Even hiring someone to whip up a less lovely site would cost less than 10% of your sales.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Holy poo poo this game is still being made?!?!

I heard about this game ages ago and thought it died so glad to see some sort of post talking about what he's been working on. Still no Beta going I assume?
Jesus I want this game so bad as I so terribly want anything that might recreate Harvest Moon 64 :/

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

YOURFRIEND posted:

I mean you can self publish on Steam. That is the point of Steam. This game would get greenlighted almost immediately. Press is easy to come by with a niche title like this, people who enjoy the subgenre will spread it via word of mouth and you just write up a little blurb and send a demo to every gaming website. All of the websites of games they publish are identical, it's just a template and if you are adept enough to singlehandedly code and do all your art for a game then I imagine making a website can't be that much of a hurdle. Even hiring someone to whip up a less lovely site would cost less than 10% of your sales.

I think it's probably easy to underestimate how difficult that stuff can be. Reviewers are going to pay more attention to a game they are sent by the company that already made a super successful game (Starbound) than some unknown developer. A website might not be a lot of effort compared to coding a game but it's something with no real return that's taking up game coding time.

I've been following this game for a really long time and noticed a huge spike in interest after it was linked from the Starbound website. I think you're right and it would have been greenlit without Chucklefish being involved but their involvement has given a huge publicity boost. And really if it ends up making say a million dollars, and I'd be surprised if it doesn't, $900,000 is still a lot of money for one guy for 2-3 years work.

Catts
Nov 3, 2011

YOURFRIEND posted:

If it's really as easy as you say it is maybe you should go into the publishing business except only at 5%?

It's almost as if ConcernedApe felt that what Chucklefish provides as a publisher was worth 10% of Stardew's sales :iiam:

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
It's also already greenlit. It was greenlit like a year ago.

But man, having a website and a goddamn forum is a pain in the rear end if you don't want to deal with it. I wouldn't want to have to be responsible for modding my own forum, especially for one of these sandbox games that seems to attract legions of tweens.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

Jesto fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jul 14, 2017

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Can I do sweet skateboard tricks?!

CAN I DO SWEET SKATEBOARD TRICKS INTO A TRAIN?

Catts
Nov 3, 2011
Why can't I give CA money yet :argh:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Catts posted:

Why can't I give CA money yet :argh:

I keep throwing money at my screen but no game is popping out.

If it's anything like Chucklefish's other big game then I'll have paid for it and then 8 months later they'll come out with a featureless beta.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

It's one guy who's already been forced to prune the target featureset down from the original design for the sake of getting it out while our current concept of personal computing is still relevant, and Chucklefish is only publishing it; we've probably dodged anything like Starbound's magpie focus.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I'm feeling a sincere Terraria theme from the latest video, in a good way. Is it getting close to release now then?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Mordaedil posted:

I'm feeling a sincere Terraria theme from the latest video, in a good way. Is it getting close to release now then?

It's getting closer, atleast.

quote:

What’s left?

Joja Mart Building

Domestic/Family life

Finalizing multiplayer

Fun little touches and secrets

More Testing

Release

Summer is drawing to a close, which is good. It’s a lot easier to be productive when the day is cool and dim.

Thanks for reading!

-Ape

I wouldn't expect it before 2015, though. :smith:

e: Yay! It has chargeable tools like some/most? of the Harvest Moon games do!

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Urgh, I'm not sure I like the look of that harvesting/planting with the mouse. Hopefully there's still a button we can press to do those things.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Still pretty psyched for this game. Wonder if it'll be "complete" before Starbound.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

Jesto fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jul 14, 2017

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
Join us.

Thrive.

:unsmigghh:

Catts
Nov 3, 2011
I'm really hoping that mouse control is optional, playing a game like this with KBM feels like it would pretty heavily dilute some of the SNES HM feelgoods.

Same with the UI, I know accessibility in games has come a long way since the mid 90's but I would love if I could pare down the UI display or turn it off altogether.

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.
Will this thing have gamepad support, anyway? I mean you can fake it with Xpadder or something but still.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

Jesto fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jul 14, 2017

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Jesto posted:

I haven't seen anything about controller support in either direction. :(

There's something in what you just quoted.

quote:

Options menu (Toggle between windowed, borderless fullscreen, traditional fullscreen w/ different resolutions, adjust sound levels, change key bindings, graphics options… maybe controller support?)

I do think this game will be much better off not being early access to avoid player burnout before more and more features would've been added, so that was nice to hear. And it's nice to see the game still coming along, slow and steady.

Midrena
May 2, 2009

Mega64 posted:

I do think this game will be much better off not being early access to avoid player burnout before more and more features would've been added, so that was nice to hear. And it's nice to see the game still coming along, slow and steady.

Yeah, I agree. I've since stopped playing the early access games I have at the moment (though not because of any bad things -- I'm incredibly lucky that the ones I bought into are great, e.g. Rimworld), as I don't want to get burned out and/or bored of the games before they even launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

that's what happened to me with Mercenary Kings, I blew through the content that was there when it was first available and by the time it was fully done I had no interest in going back to it. I feel like its one of the major flaws of early access.