Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

i've actually been having a lot more fun with the game now that i got to mars and started finding good loot. destiny has issues, you'd be an idiot to deny that, but i honestly think this is a pretty good game (that could have been way better if bungie hadn't played it so safe).

at the very least, it's much better than borderlands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chelovek-Govno
Aug 11, 2014

Zamorozhenaia Zhopa

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

he was clearly having trouble parsing what I was saying and was repeating it, so I confirmed that he was correct in his interpretation

My post was more of a response to the whole exchange between yuo two, which was gay as heck, IMO, rahter than just thqat post. :tipshat:

Chelovek-Govno
Aug 11, 2014

Zamorozhenaia Zhopa

Silver Striker posted:

at the very least, it's much better than borderlands

To that extent, it is a good game on that level, as far as that goes.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I want it to crash and burn so they sell it off to some more competent studio and then it becomes really good.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Chelovek-Govno posted:

To that extent, it is a good game on that level, as far as that goes.

you're a bad poster and you seem to have a weird boner for what I said

I'm flattered

Chelovek-Govno
Aug 11, 2014

Zamorozhenaia Zhopa

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

you're a bad poster and you seem to have a weird boner for what I said

I'm flattered

As far as having a weird boner for what you said goes, yes, I am a bad poster on that level.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
Epic impzone-exclusive content, steaming hot For You

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Chelovek-Govno posted:

As far as having a weird boner for what you said goes, yes, I am a bad poster on that level.

so are we gonna make out now?

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

the game has clans but as far as I can tell all that does is let you talk to each other on the bungie website because it doesn't have an option to add clanmates to your group or talk to them in game or anything

so I guess it doesn't really have clans, it just has a lovely social networking site with groups you can join

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Is warframe a better game than destiny? I only played a bit of it when I got my ps4 but I remember the shooting being pretty ok and it was free

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Also you could do cool movement poo poo like slide or run across walls while shooting

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

DrManiac posted:

Is warframe a better game than destiny? I only played a bit of it when I got my ps4 but I remember the shooting being pretty ok and it was free

never played destiny but warframe is pretty fun. i will say though that the grind to get good weapons and frames is long and really obnoxious.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

one of my old babysitters ended up marrying a guy who worked for bungie. they eventually got a divorce because he was mentally ill (bipolar, to be specific)

well i thought that was interesting enough to post

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
borderlands is really, really bad so if destiny's pitch is "borderlands that is better than borderlands" that does not fill me with confidence, also its a lovely console shooter i can barely contain my excitement and interest

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

DrManiac posted:

the areas you revisit hundreds of times to get better loot are prettier in destiny

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Why don't consoles just adopt mouses for shooters instead of still using bullshit autoaim.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

borderlands is really, really bad so if destiny's pitch is "borderlands that is better than borderlands" that does not fill me with confidence, also its a lovely console shooter i can barely contain my excitement and interest

aside from both having loot i don't really think they're that similar. that being said, i was mainly trying to be snide because there are a bunch of dumb goons who think borderlands is actually really good.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Blackheart posted:

Why don't consoles just adopt mouses for shooters instead of still using bullshit autoaim.
the SNES mouse was ahead of its time

psyman
Nov 1, 2008

Blackheart posted:

Most games don't actually have autoaim, usually only a DPI-switching effect when the crosshair is over a target to temporarily slow down aiming. Halo is really an isolated example of "grabbing" autoaim but dumb people hold it up as representing all console shooters.

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 had the best thumbstick aiming I've come across in a console FPS, and that had no assists at all and tight hitboxes. The difference between it and Battlefield 3 was very odd, as I found it more difficult to precision aim in that.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Blackheart posted:

prolly because consoles are for normal people who play games at their couches instead of at their work desks

Dec 26, 2012

Blackheart posted:

Why don't consoles

i dont know, blackheart

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Neurolimal posted:

prolly because consoles are for normal people who play games at their couches instead of at their work desks

drat, just have a tea table or something, there's gotta be a flat surface nearby

also consoles are for fun games, not console shooters.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

just did the old russia strike for the first time since the beta

it's still loving awful. easily the worst strike in the game. every boss has way too much hp, it takes too loving long, people still can't do it. it's harder than the venus strike, which was actually pretty fun.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Neurolimal posted:

That's why we have the Phantom lapboard :cool:

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Gimbal lock posted:

That's why we have the Phantom lapboard :cool:

uuuuh thanks google?

ROBO_ERECTUS
Sep 5, 2007

Let me take you for a ride.
My bro got Destiny, watching him play with one of his friends, he seems to like it, im not gonna dash his hopes and tell him its repetitive garbage. At least the speeder bikes and dancing seem cool.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

DrManiac posted:

At least most major reviewers seem to be giving ~6 so baby steps

i think a lot of people are overcorrecting for giving watch a dog high scores because Destiny is actually pretty cool and fun

also I think major reviewers don't have any friends and I'd rather jam my dick into my ps4 than play Destiny alone

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Console shooters are okay if you're young like me and started out playing Goldeneye 64 and stuff like that, getting used to shooting on an N64 conttoller pretty much familiarizes you with almost all of the controllers out there. I'd say it's also much easier to switch from controller to kb+m, but all this complaining about console shooters just makes you seem like old and bitter af gamers, which is truly a sad gaming existence.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Buschmaki posted:

all this complaining about console shooters just makes you seem like old and bitter af gamers, which is truly a sad gaming existence.
practically every AAA or overhyped game is a console shooter and they're simply not as good as a PC shooter

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

Buschmaki posted:

Console shooters are okay if you're young like me and started out playing Goldeneye 64 and stuff like that, getting used to shooting on an N64 conttoller pretty much familiarizes you with almost all of the controllers out there.

My first FPS was also Goldeneye (or maybe the first-person sections in Banjo Tooie, which were basically goldeneye) but that doesn't change the fact that aiming with your thumbs is Turdsville. Not to mention the generally limited nature of poo poo like navigating menus, number of buttons available, and general complexity which are often pretty different between a shooter intended for consoles and a shooter intended for PCs- not to mention the difference between the two platform's playerbases :jerkbag:

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy

deadwing posted:

i think a lot of people are overcorrecting for giving watch a dog high scores because Destiny is actually pretty cool and

Yea idgi 500 mil and they didn't bother to rig the reviews?

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
poo poo doo doo

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Overbite posted:

poo poo doo doo

Will you tell me whether Destiny is worth it?

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Anime Device posted:

if you can get it on sale and have other people to play with then yeah kinda

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Anime Device posted:

Eh, I bought it and I finished the story and am at 20. Now the entire game is "grind rep and grind for loot with light on it"

Thats it. Just grind the pvp or strikes for rep and loot. Gaining levels past 20 relies on luck that the gear you need drops.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
i have perpetual winner's ennui, op

with no other worthy challenges left, i am forced to hunt man

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
saw a buddy play destiny yesterday. was very unimpressed, gunplay is 110% uninspiring, jetpacks fail to significantly change any sort of movement dynamic, abilities seemed to be very borderlands with 2-3 min cooldowns on everything.

it is literally the "safest" possible console fpsrpg, and suffers because it wants to be borderlands so badly. (which is baffling imo, borderlands 1/2 were pretty dire.)

has anyone made a good fpsrpg ever? i am excluding systemshock and deusex because they did not have enemy levels.

e: i am also excluding strife

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Sep 15, 2014

Dec 26, 2012

Wales Grey posted:

jetpacks fail to significantly change any sort of movement dynamic

i cant even fathom someone loving this up

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

01011001 posted:

i cant even fathom someone loving this up

from what i saw, jetpacks are just really slow extra height (3-5 ft?) on your jump or the ultimate for one class

e: remember the jetpacks in halo? the jetpacks in destiny are worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Overbite posted:

Eh, I bought it and I finished the story and am at 20. Now the entire game is "grind rep and grind for loot with light on it"

Thats it. Just grind the pvp or strikes for rep and loot. Gaining levels past 20 relies on luck that the gear you need drops.

Thank you very much. I will not be picking this up.

• Locked thread