Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
Sorry to break up dildo/knob chat.

But I ordered a new X1 s28i m-sport. It arrived today, salesman calls me asking when I'm coming to pick it up. 2 hours later he calls me and goes "bad news, the drivers side seat power isn't working, we need a part, it's already ordered but it's going to be about a week." Dammit BMW. Come on son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
It's your punishment for getting an awful X1 instead of something nice like a 228i or M235i. :colbert:

God knows what you've done and he's displaying his displeasure.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
I drove the m235i around during my test drive phase, I definitely was hot but I didn't like how low to the ground it is. It is super loving sweet though. Also drove an 435 thing at the Un4gettable test drive and the HUD was super nice.

But since my X1 is ///M-Sport, I've already pre-ordered all the m-stripes and Nurburgring stickers.

that is a joke

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

Beast of Bourbon posted:

I drove the m235i around during my test drive phase, I definitely was hot but I didn't like how low to the ground it is. It is super loving sweet though. Also drove an 435 thing at the Un4gettable test drive and the HUD was super nice.

But since my X1 is ///M-Sport, I've already pre-ordered all the m-stripes and Nurburgring stickers.

that is a joke

Don't forget the "M" badge next to the "X1" badge and the stick on front fender vents.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
Wrong thread

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

BraveUlysses posted:

blunttech

I always recommend the ZHP though, it's the perfect OEM knob.

Speaking of, anyone know how to fix leather on a zhp knob? Mine is getting torn and its from my e30 that was wrecked.
I can overcome sentimentality if repair is impossible, but it would be nice to fix.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Beast of Bourbon posted:

But I ordered a new X1
I feel like you're gonna have a bad time in this thread.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

Guys I think my radiator was bad :v:

Oh and my belts were worse;

Everything replaced except hoses. Only now the top hose is leaking, so new hoses now!

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Cakefool posted:

Where do you UK guys get your parts from? I need a propshaft flex joint (guibo?) For a diesel e46 quickly and I don't fancy paying the quoted £240 to have it fitted.

I usually use Euro Car Parts - they tend to have stuff in stock for pickup and if they don't it usually arrives quickly.

Haven't price checked them but they seem reasonably priced. £74 for Bosch front disks and pads last time I was there - the counter guy said its cheaper if you order then pickup from the store rather than just asking at the counter FYI.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
Do you think people would be fooled if I replaced the X with an M?

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Beast of Bourbon posted:

Do you think people would be fooled if I replaced the X with an M?

SuperDucky posted:

I feel like you're gonna have a bad time in this thread.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
E36 sideskirt clips :negative:

I should have bought twice what I needed.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
X1 is fun as poo poo to drive (comparatively speaking) and built on the well sorted E90 chassis. Just pretend it's a hot hatch. :colbert:

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

People fetishize estate wagons and look down on SUVs and crossovers.
:iiam:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Dantu posted:

Not really, there are tangible size, dynamic, AND economy differences... not to mention not looking like a suburban tool in an SUV.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Dantu posted:

Because crossovers are tall and have sloppy suspensions and wagons are just long cars.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Running today through a nearby neighborhood I saw a black E65 Alpina B7. There's also a blue B7 of the same generation in the area and an F01 B7 in the same neighborhood. Gorgeous cars.

On a related note, have the 7-series improved reliability wise since the 2009 model year or is it still to early to tell? I think they are fantastic looking.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

There's a beautiful blue E65 Alpina B7 parked on a road I frequently bike on. They are really good looking cars.

If money were no object, I'd love to cruise around in a B6 or B7 on a daily basis. But I'd have to have some serious "gently caress you" money to ever put up with that cost of ownership.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Cyrezar posted:

On a related note, have the 7-series improved reliability wise since the 2009 model year or is it still to early to tell? I think they are fantastic looking.

Still early to tell yet. I imagine though here once the cars start crossing the 100k mile mark is when the poo poo will show. From what i have seen the E66's haven't been all that awful. They have their share of annoying BMW poo poo: Suspension/cooling/misc bullshit. But from what I have seen is they are remarkably better than all the previous models. Again rock solid drive trains, its the rest of the poo poo that explodes for no apparent reason. I am still curious to see how our the poster here with the beater 7 will do over the long term.

With that said, unless you are wrenching on them yourself, its going to be a money pit. (really goes for any BMW)

Edit: poo poo applies to the V8 models only. V12 is gently caress you lolololol territory. Mostly its because so much specific poo poo for V12's.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 13, 2014

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

BrokenKnucklez posted:

With that said, unless you are wrenching on them yourself, its going to be a money pit. (really goes for any BMW)

Truth. Someone's got to pay for the fancy dealerships but I'd rather it not be me.

I'm also reminded just now of the time I saw a Z8 Alpina near here like 10 years ago. Wasn't really in to cars back then but I remember seeing it and thinking wtf is that. Such a bizarre version of an already very unique car. Looks like the regular Z8 is appreciating nicely.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Edit: poo poo applies to the V8 models only. V12 is gently caress you lolololol territory. Mostly its because so much specific poo poo for V12's.

Are these like S600/S65 levels of complicated? I only know one person who had the E65 naturally aspirated V12 and money certainly was not an issue for him. So I never got to hear anyone bitch about repairs.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Mostly due to V12 specific engine management bullshit that's not shared with the rest of the cars. The v8s can at least be shared by the 5/x6/x5/7 vs just one platform.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Got 4 studs out of my e36 poormobile exhaust manifold and drilled the other two (also opened up the other holes to use a SS though bolt in lieu of the stud). Welded a nut to the stud and impacted them out. Two studs broke off just outside of the manifokd flange. This is on the manifold to cat pipe.

Also got the driveshaft back in just need to torque it up.

Remaining poo poo before it drives:
- re install exhaust
- tidy up no longer needed TCU wiring
- hook up monetary rocker for NSS switch
- replace rear springs
- install blower motor
- install fender liner (this was missing and there was a pound or two of dirt in the fender)

I am sure I am missing things. Just want to get it driving so i can gently caress around with it...

Scab Swap Fetish
Oct 16, 2008
how lovely/unreliable would a 2007 335i with 100k miles be?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Scab Swap Fetish posted:

how lovely/unreliable would a 2007 335i with 100k miles be?

I have one bought at 50K and now with 60K and so far it's been great mechanically. My CCC is going out, but should be covered by the warranty I bought. $800-1500 to DIY or take to a dealer otherwise.

Turbos burn a smidge of oil between changes, right at about 3k miles the 'oil gauge' shows 1 notch under full and I change it. Drive train is very tight, been great so far. Hoping for another 40K miles trouble free before I ditch it to the next sucker...

(love mine)

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Anyone else running Rotella in m54s? I've gone ~5 changes with it @4-5k apiece on it and I felt it a little too detergent heavy. I switched to mobil1 on the last change and now it seems to be drinking more of it.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Well the extended warranty for the E61 has really paid off. About a year ago the nav system was replaced. Mrs Mango too it in a few days ago for a final check before warranty expired and they replaced the turbos (failed eyelash test), and AC compressor (and charged it fresh), and both front side CV Boots.

Will start taking it to a local indie shop now that warranty is done. Looking forward to replacing the GDCS at 60k miles, but that might be a few year out with how much it gets driven (50k now). Any reason to do the GDCS at a number of years for a low mileage car?

Scab Swap Fetish
Oct 16, 2008
what is GDCS?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

GOD DAMNED COOLING SYSTEM

I guess that thread title was a while ago now. From what I understand the water pump impeller is made from the sort of plastic that gets brittle after many many heat cycles and it is recommended to replace the cooling system as a preventative maintenance task rather than having it blow up and require a new car as a result.

Scab Swap Fetish
Oct 16, 2008
Almost got it, when you say to replace the cooling system you mean the pump and what other components? I know BMWs have poo poo cooling reservoirs but what else?
I also know of the HPFP issue, do they sell after market pumps that fix the issue?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Scab Swap Fetish posted:

Almost got it, when you say to replace the cooling system you mean the pump and what other components? I know BMWs have poo poo cooling reservoirs but what else?
I also know of the HPFP issue, do they sell after market pumps that fix the issue?

The radiators have plastic end caps that like to fail as well, which is why so many people choose to go with an aluminum aftermarket radiator if they plan on keeping the car long-term

Scab Swap Fetish
Oct 16, 2008
I'm doing research because I'm debating what 3 series i should get. Insurance on the 335 is going to be through the roof i assume.
Is the water pump problems the same for all the 2007 3 series the same? I just don't know which engine is the most reliable.

edit : looking at an e90

Scab Swap Fetish fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Sep 14, 2014

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

meatpimp posted:

Nope, just the area towards the center of the rotor itself.

meatpimp posted:

2003 E39 -- I replaced the rear brake pads and rotors about 1000 miles ago. Looking at them yesterday, the pads on both sides are only hitting on the center 1/2" of the rotor and the crosshatching is still showing on the rotor from there out.

Any common issues that would cause this?

Revisiting this. Took the back brakes apart today and everything looks absolutely normal, except the anti-rattle material on the outside brake pads shows that the clip has been pushing on the pad.

Maybe I pushed the clip on too far -- should the clip just be touching the caliper and bracket, or the caliper, bracket and pad?

I probably answered my own question and I'll see over time, because I put them back together with the clip just touching the caliper and bracket this time... we'll see...

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Scab Swap Fetish posted:

Everything. Hoses, reservoirs, radiator, water pump.

Scab Swap Fetish posted:

Is the water pump problems the same for all the 2007 3 series the same? I just don't know which engine is the most reliable.

If you're concerned about cost of ownership and you're looking at high mileage german cars, you're going to have a bad time. Doubly so if you aren't going to be doing the maintenance yourself. Generally though, stick to the N/A engines and you'll be ok cost wise. And yes, lovely german plastic is used throughout every year/model of BMW so the cooling system will eventually need to be replaced on all of them as preventative maintenance.

Viper_3000 fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Sep 14, 2014

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

What kind of service life should we expect out of replacement cooling systems? I get the idea of the all aluminum radiator, and aren't there redesigned pumps as well? Go people also move to electric fans when they do this?

At this point I wonder if it makes sense to do it sooner rather than later since it is an 08 that was purchased in 2007, so it is just about seven years old. It only has like 47k miles, but maybe since it does lots of short trips it just needs to be done?

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

meatpimp posted:

Revisiting this. Took the back brakes apart today and everything looks absolutely normal, except the anti-rattle material on the outside brake pads shows that the clip has been pushing on the pad.

Maybe I pushed the clip on too far -- should the clip just be touching the caliper and bracket, or the caliper, bracket and pad?

I probably answered my own question and I'll see over time, because I put them back together with the clip just touching the caliper and bracket this time... we'll see...

I bought Pagid Reds from Bav Auto for my E60 and had the same problem. Only 50% of the rear pads were making contact with the new rotor since there was a bevel in the pad material. I don't wrench a whole lot anymore and this problem broke my heart, as nobody could tell me what the problem was (Including BavAuto). I ended up just bedding the poo poo out of the new brakes and got acceptable performance out of them until they wore down enough to supply full contact - about 2000mi/four months later. I certainly should have sent them back, but I couldn't bear dealing with the dust of OEM pads and making the change in November in Chicago. :effort:

I was very happy with the Reds until I sold the car about 18 months later.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Ultimate Mango posted:

What kind of service life should we expect out of replacement cooling systems? I get the idea of the all aluminum radiator, and aren't there redesigned pumps as well? Go people also move to electric fans when they do this?

At this point I wonder if it makes sense to do it sooner rather than later since it is an 08 that was purchased in 2007, so it is just about seven years old. It only has like 47k miles, but maybe since it does lots of short trips it just needs to be done?

I replaced mine at 10 years and 80k; there were no signs of failure about to happen (cracking plastic, weeping water pump, etc). The GDCS is something that should be done at some point but I really think a lot of people go overly insane over it. I would do it at ~10 year max/75k-100k and expect the same after a replacement. Obviously stuff like the belts will be replaced more frequently. IMO radiator is a "when-it-fails" replacement, or maybe something like 150k/20 years. Of course there there is some story of some guy who blew his motor because the cooling system went at 30k and 3 years.. you can probably find examples of every part failing prematurely in some cases.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Ultimate Mango posted:

No one really knows the service life of the latest redesigned electric pumps. And no one is switching to all aluminum radiators. For the price of one of those for my e46 I could do 3 refreshes or essentially 180k miles, so it's not worth the cost of the upgrade. The only part I know of that is worth the money for the e46 is the Stewart pump, but even that borders on ridiculous if you can't find a deal on one.

And don't all e60/90s use electric cooling fans? I thought BMW made that move already.

Scab Swap Fetish
Oct 16, 2008

Viper_3000 posted:

Everything. Hoses, reservoirs, radiator, water pump.

If you're concerned about cost of ownership and you're looking at high mileage german cars, you're going to have a bad time. Doubly so if you aren't going to be doing the maintenance yourself. Generally though, stick to the N/A engines and you'll be ok cost wise. And yes, lovely german plastic is used throughout every year/model of BMW so the cooling system will eventually need to be replaced on all of them as preventative maintenance.

I'm a mechanic so the cost of maintenance is not a big problem. It's more of a being 3 hours away from home with my baby in the back kind of problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
That's any car that decides it hates coolant. Being said, a car with a cast iron block/heads is more tolerant to bullshit than aluminium based motors. (Low tech)