Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Finished Dukehard. I found it fun overall, but holy poo poo gently caress that level "Power Out". I guess I'm not oldskewl ~~tr00~~ gamer enough but man it took me forever to figure out that you can jump outside on the ledges, simply because I couldn't see around the edge of the window when I was outside so I never thought to try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Just played through Going Down on Hurt Me Plenty. I highly recommend avoiding UV unless you're incredibly hardcore, as even carrying weapons between levels, they're pretty intense and hardcore maps.

They're also exceedingly creative. Episode 3 has a really squishy, gory, meaty hellscape-ish feel to it with a lot of tricks and traps and a few straight-up slaughter maps. Pretty neat final boss, and the epilogue map was very clever, too, although I was stuck for a while. My advice: Check the living room again after going to the toilet, near the doorway.

General rule of thumb for episode 3: Don't even try to clear all the enemies on each map. Sometimes, you just have to run like hell.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Does anybody have D/L links for Going Down EP1 and EP2? I can't find them anywhere, and the "Episode 2" thread's OP on the Doomworld Forums has been edited to only have EP3 for some dumb reason.

James Peach
Dec 30, 2008

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Does anybody have D/L links for Going Down EP1 and EP2? I can't find them anywhere, and the "Episode 2" thread's OP on the Doomworld Forums has been edited to only have EP3 for some dumb reason.

The author merged all three episodes together to create a full 32 map megawad. He just left the "E3" in the wad name, which would certainly cause confusion.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

CoarsestGrate posted:

The author merged all three episodes together to create a full 32 map megawad. He just left the "E3" in the wad name, which would certainly cause confusion.

Oh okay, cool. Yeah that clears things up then.

lurker1981
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

CoarsestGrate posted:

I kinda like the idea of some of the maps. Time Warp (map05) was pretty unique and unexpected. That's about as far as I've gotten so far, but it's an impressive start to a megawad.

I like the theme of going down floors in a building and wiping out monsters on each one.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Playing through going down for the first time and I'm glad that I started on HMP too. It's harsh and loves to teleport loads of enemies where you previously cleared, but is really fun.

Also Dominic, are you going to update your lovely.pk3 with the latest smooth doom? Your compilation is my to-go for vanilla gameplay right now.

ytisomauq
Dec 15, 2000

Guillermus posted:

Also Dominic, are you going to update your lovely.pk3 with the latest smooth doom? Your compilation is my to-go for vanilla gameplay right now.

Have to second this, Lovely.pk3 is very nice. I tried to overlay the latest smooth doom over/under it in the launcher and that didn't seem to work. Can you put pk3 files in a pk3 file?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Guillermus posted:

Playing through going down for the first time and I'm glad that I started on HMP too. It's harsh and loves to teleport loads of enemies where you previously cleared, but is really fun.

Already done - just forgot to upload it!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Cheers thank you. I'm lazy and is very handy to have everything packed in a single file.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I fully tested it yesterday by playing through most of Going Down. The only problem I noticed was that some level endings are meant to strip you of all your weapons, but don't - I guess it's because Smooth Doom uses renamed inventory items. You'll have to honor-system it and just restart those levels manually.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-29203776

Add it to the list, Kins.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

So disappointed that this works by displaying it on a screen and not by printing out one frame at a time.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

haveblue posted:

So disappointed that this works by displaying it on a screen and not by printing out one frame at a time.

60 frames per minute :v:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The inkjet inside the printer should slide around while the game is running to make music.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

quote:

"The colour palette is still not quite right," he said. "But it proves the point and it runs quite quickly, though it's not optimised."

On a blog entry about Mr Jordon's work, Canon said it intended "to provide a fix as quickly as is feasible".
Well they better, the game looks pretty ugly the way it is :haw:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

The inkjet inside the printer should slide around while the game is running to make music.

Reminds me of the guy making classic videgames themes with floppy disk readers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a7-5WYOKxE

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Well ahead of you. :)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

RyokoTK posted:

That would depend on if the printer's using voice coils for that movement.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

RyokoTK posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG8RAbWs1yo

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

This is amazing\hilarious

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Guillermus posted:

Reminds me of the guy making classic videgames themes with floppy disk readers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a7-5WYOKxE

God drat both these videos own so much.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

It's amazing how much those things sound like the synth chips found in the Genesis/Megadrive and such.

They still sound better than 32x Doom though.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Dominic White posted:

Because I was bored for an hour, I put together a little all-in-one starter pack for those who want modern Windows Doom without the hassle.

(That's how it should look right off the bat, no tweaking needed)

It's cool that you put this together. I couldn't find info on what "GZDoom Lights.pk3" does. Is it also possible to set up dynamic lighting that doesn't clip through walls like it does in your screenshot? Also, does "SBrightmaps.pk3" apply the proper brightmaps for the extra Smooth Doom sprites?

I'm assuming in adapting the HUD to Smooth Doom you had to edit the extra mugshot sprites so they scale properly right?

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
Pretty sure that there's no way to make dynamic lights not clip through walls due to the way the renderer handles them. I wouldn't know the specifics but I've heard this discussed before and I'm pretty sure that was the bottom line of things.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes
Last I checked, it was due to the lack of information for the resulting vertex buffer, making any and all surfaces simple polys, and clipping lights against every surface would look silly (or was it outright impossible?).
It's not actually a problem exclusive to GZDoom. Most modern renderers have a simple "point lights on dynamic surfaces don't clip" method (even idtech4 (Doom3) had simple sphere lights), only with GZDoom every surface is a dynamic one, and every dynamic light is a simple sphere.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Bouchacha posted:

It's cool that you put this together. I couldn't find info on what "GZDoom Lights.pk3" does. Is it also possible to set up dynamic lighting that doesn't clip through walls like it does in your screenshot? Also, does "SBrightmaps.pk3" apply the proper brightmaps for the extra Smooth Doom sprites?

I'm assuming in adapting the HUD to Smooth Doom you had to edit the extra mugshot sprites so they scale properly right?

The brightmaps are correct for the most part, but not 100% perfect. I figured they were good enough, though. I notice that they might be one pixel out of alignment on a couple of frames, but it doesn't look too bad. May not be consistent between sprite variants, though. And as mentioned, I can't do much about the lights clipping through walls. It's still good-looking for the most part.

Surprisingly, I didn't need to make any tweaks to mugshots for that HUD. That part just worked automagically, much to my surprise! I did need to revert the ammo/weapons counters to pre-Brutal-Doom designs from an earlier build, and shift around the position on a few elements though.

Edit: Updated all downloads, as parts were updated yesterday/today:

Lovely Doom All-In-One (Just Add Doom2.WAD)
Lovely Doom PK3
BTSX-Style HUD for Smooth Doom/Vanilla

Looks like some of the Smooth Doom bugs are fixed. Level 20 of Going Down now correctly strips the players weapons.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 29, 2014

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Knee Deep in Printer Ink.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TFzZyNE5CU

Always Typeset on Duke.

(It doesn't work quite as well as the Doom one)

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Dominic White posted:

The brightmaps are correct for the most part, but not 100% perfect. I figured they were good enough, though. I notice that they might be one pixel out of alignment on a couple of frames, but it doesn't look too bad. May not be consistent between sprite variants, though. And as mentioned, I can't do much about the lights clipping through walls. It's still good-looking for the most part.
Makes sense, but what does GZDoom lights.pk3 do?

I wonder how the mugshot worked automatically, maybe Smooth Doom fixed it. I've had to manually add the new frames and specific the appropriate size before it worked on the NC HUD

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I'm going to take a guess and assume that GZDoom Lights.pk3 is dynamic lights settings and lightmaps specific for GZdoom.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Elliotw2 posted:

I'm going to take a guess and assume that GZDoom Lights.pk3 is dynamic lights settings and lightmaps specific for GZdoom.

Yeah, the basic Lights.pk3 is the dynamic light file, although I think Smooth Doom may cover most of those anyway - can't hurt to double up. Brightmaps/SBrightmaps handle glowy points on textures and sprites.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Man I think I really love brightmaps. A while back, I took one of the more common brightmap packs and threw it into a sort of Frankenstein'ed modifications WAD that I use for a lot of Doom playthroughs. I'm a big fan of the little details it adds to vanilla Doom II textures, like lighting up the tech base computer screens/controls, and giving a lot of the enemies glowing features. I can see where it wouldn't be for everybody (for example, it can make it easier to see some enemies in the dark because their eyes glow) but, man, I'm all for it.

In other sacrilegious news, I've been playing my Doom WADs to the tune of Hotline Miami's soundtrack.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

In other sacrilegious news, I've been playing my Doom WADs to the tune of Hotline Miami's soundtrack.

That's not sacrilegious, Hydrogen would be really good music to shoot demons to.

It's really good music to do just about anything to.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I thought I was the only one! :hf:

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Sep 17, 2014

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Quake Live and its litany of... interesting recent design choices come to Steam tomorrow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aNG7cd7rGM
That new announcer sounds terrible.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I like the new announcer.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Funny how that is pretty much a "you fragged rapha" video.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

:smith:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Bethesda is just loving the corpse of id software now. What a travesty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

I'm really curious as to why they changed the announcer. I mean, I can understand getting a hold of the VA again after this long is practically impossible, but were a whole bunch of lines really needed? It's not like they introduced any dramatically new game modes.

Besides, that voice is iconic. I mean, seriously iconic.
You say "IMPRESSIVE" in that voice and even people who've never played Quake before recognize it.