Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Fax Sender posted:

i am looking for more of a jangly surf type deal. i dont care about divebombs or anything like that. i guess i could get a cheap strat or something

you could probably just buy a cheap jazzmaster or something if you want surf, squier do pretty good cheap ones now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

I spent this morning setting up one of his gigs in a theatre. He has a lot of Marshall stuff, I counted 5 amplifiers alone (2 might have been spares). Mostly JCM800's and TSLs.

haha that box set seems like something a serial killer would have in their house

hey let's watch 10 hours of a total hack be overly pleased with himself before i skin you alive and make a yarmulke out of your butt cheeks

sure it's been mentioned before in this thread, but to quote larry david you know who wears sunglasses inside? blind people and assholes

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

The Stygian posted:

Thumbnail notwithstanding, Perry Ormsby makes loving amazing guitars - without a doubt one of the best custom luthiers in the world at the moment.

This seems appropriate for the thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJypvxnFg2Q

If I remember right he's located not far from where I am, and from the little I've interacted with him he seems like a stand up guy. His waiting list for instruments is pretty huge though.

On the topic of Gibson, apparently Perry was an authorized repairer for all of 6 weeks before getting fed up with it (can't find the quote, but I remember him saying that between headstock/neck repairs and QC oversights he didn't have time for much else).

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass
what the gently caress kind of bridge is this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harmony-Teisco-Strat-Mustang-Punk-Funk-Noise-Guitar-/281439946045?pt=Guitar&hash=item418720c53d

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Garbage

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

it's one of those bridges you never ever want

jesus christ looks like you'd have to remove the whole thing to replace a single string wtf who designed this poo poo? Dustin Browder?

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
Its an ash tray, they just pull off, my strat came with one, but I never put it on.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Fumble posted:

Its an ash tray, they just pull off, my strat came with one, but I never put it on.

No it's not, the string load into slots underneath the top of that thing. I have an old tiesco with the same design and it's awful.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Goddamn

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat
So today I clear-coated the 'tone' again (5 loving coats so far),hopefully this will be the last one now. I also wired the electrics then realised I dond't have a spare pp3 battery to test the active circuit, arrrgghhhhh.

Life is pain.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Too bad you can't fit a winder handle like those emergency flashlights (torch you backwards UK guys), and have it charge the active electronics with a cap or something.

Gotta wind between sick riffs.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Sockington posted:

Too bad you can't fit a winder handle like those emergency flashlights (torch you backwards UK guys), and have it charge the active electronics with a cap or something.

Gotta wind between sick riffs.

Or like one of those flashlights you have to jerk off. Imagine having to constantly shake your guitar back and forth while you play.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

HollisBrown posted:

Or like one of those flashlights you have to jerk off. Imagine having to constantly shake your guitar back and forth while you play.

Why have I not done this yet.

I DO have a wind up torch somewhere though....

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

HollisBrown posted:

Fit a fleshlight to the back of the body so you can gently caress your guitar as you play

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Quickscope420dad posted:

Fit a fleshlight to the back of the body so you can gently caress your guitar as you play

BAM that idea just came (wink) full circle.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Quickscope420dad posted:

dave mustaine once suggested about 25 years ago that guitarists should drill a hole in the back of their guitar body to stick their dicks into so they can come while soloing

which implies dave mustaine is about 2" erect

Dec 26, 2012

HollisBrown posted:

hide it on a sliding rail on the back of the guitar neck

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Could you fit a Les Paul style pickguard on the GBS guitar for maximum tone?

Edit: to clarify, OVER the current one to protect the fur.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Sockington posted:

You're such a dick.
Next you'll be asking for a poker chip.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

iostream.h posted:

You're such a dick.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

iostream.h posted:

You're such a dick.

Just looking out for your investment.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
scratch the names of every contributing GBS poster into the back of the body

except for mine, since this was my idea i get the 5th fret

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Adam Jones was legit gored by a buffalo. No doubt this affects his perception of everything including tonepaint.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Quickscope420dad posted:

scratch the names of every contributing GBS poster into the back of the body

except for mine, since this was my idea i get the 5th fret

I get mine around the glory hole.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I prefer hard-tail bridges now.

If I had to pick a floating/non-floating vibrato bridge, I would choose the Ibanez Edge every time.

It's a great vibrato bridge, and it doesn't suffer all the problems (to the same degree) as other whammy bars do. Ibanez got this right.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

comes along bort posted:

dave mustaine once suggested about 25 years ago that guitarists should drill a hole in the back of their guitar body to stick their dicks into so they can come while soloing

which implies dave mustaine is about 2" erect

Or that he can play a solo.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:drat:

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sockington posted:

Hahahhahaahahahaha

The only spare LP-style plate I've got at the moment smells like an OAP's home. A friends grandparent died and they found a nasty plywood archtop in the corner. This loving guitar was knackered in every single way. Plastic bridge is crumbling, bracing has come off the soundboard so the soundboard is warped, no truss-rod in the neck so that's warped too, the tuners on the bass-side fell apart when I cut away the strings and the neck is this loving weird scale, 23 3/4 or something. It's in bits at the moment because when I unbolted the neck (big bolt through the neck heel and the fretboard was held to the soundboard with a wood-screw that was hidden under an obviously fake plastic dot) this big loving spring came flying out the neck pocket and hit me in the face. gently caress knows why there was a spring in the neck pocket.

E: The body is this weird, horrible red-burst. Just had a look at the bracing with one of those plumbing cameras and the bracing is plywood too. It's loving indestructible though, I've been using it as stepping stool for a few years.

Barnaby Rudge fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Sep 15, 2014

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

White Dog Eggs posted:

Hahahhahaahahahaha

The only spare LP-style plate I've got at the moment smells like an OAP's home. A friends grandparent died and they found a nasty plywood archtop in the corner. This loving guitar was knackered in every single way. Plastic bridge is crumbling, bracing has come off the soundboard so the soundboard is warped, no truss-rod in the neck so that's warped too, the tuners on the bass-side fell apart when I cut away the strings and the neck is this loving weird scale, 23 3/4 or something. It's in bits at the moment because when I unbolted the neck (big bolt through the neck heel and the fretboard was held to the soundboard with a wood-screw that was hidden under an obviously fake plastic dot) this big loving spring came flying out the neck pocket and hit me in the face. gently caress knows why there was a spring in the neck pocket.

E: The body is this weird, horrible red-burst. Just had a look at the bracing with one of those plumbing cameras and the bracing is plywood too. It's loving indestructible though, I've been using it as stepping stool for a few years.

restring it and use it to make abstract noise music

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Sire Oblivion posted:

Or that he can play a solo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkkg7vO0FlA

thanks for giving me a reason to post this again

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

ThePutty posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkkg7vO0FlA

thanks for giving me a reason to post this again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQMpPW874KI

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Still reliably hilarious, after all this time. Always kills me at the Bold and the Beautiful theme

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
Would it be possible to overlay some widdly diddly obscure scale chart over the fretboard?
or put a banjo tuner half way down the neck for an extra sting. the sting doesn't have to terminate at the bridge.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

This just popped up in my twitter feed:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

That headstock looks like the underside of a nasty slice of pizza.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Fumble posted:

or put a banjo tuner half way down the neck for an extra sting. the sting doesn't have to terminate at the bridge.
I have to be able to PLAY this thing. ;)

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

th1nk posted:

This just popped up in my twitter feed:

it's kind of ugly but honestly this looks better than 95% of 8 string guitars out there

it knows it's not gonna look normal and it just rolls with it, the strings match the color of the wood pretty nicely too

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

The placement of those tuners enrages me

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I am really starting to think that making a guitar that does not look awful must be some almost impossibly high bar for most people/companies these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

unlawfulsoup posted:

I am really starting to think that making a guitar that does not look awful must be some almost impossibly high bar for most people/companies these days.

People want to create a new classic shape that can't be accused of being just derivative of Fender/Gibson shapes.

This leads to 999 disasters to every success.

• Locked thread