Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

kizudarake posted:

You do realize, when he was put in captivity, they didn't swear. It illustrates how much the world had changed. How the gently caress old are you?

Also he's Korean, so why are you assuming the entire world's TV is exactly the same as yours?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

kizudarake posted:

You do realize, when he was put in captivity, they didn't swear. It illustrates how much the world had changed. How the gently caress old are you?

Adults said curse words in 1988 (I had to look the year up).

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
I don't remember what the exact translation was but I think the implication was that there were new swear words he hadn't learned yet because, presumably, they don't say offensive modern slang on the television.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Pneub posted:

Adults said curse words in 1988 (I had to look the year up).

On tv, dickbulb. Not much, anyway.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
Korean TV actually does have pretty strict morality censorship - cigarettes even get blurred out. It would be an awful source for learning rude language and street slang, etc. iirc he sats that when the punk teenagers confront him, right?

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Synonamess Botch posted:

I don't remember what the exact translation was but I think the implication was that there were new swear words he hadn't learned yet because, presumably, they don't say offensive modern slang on the television.

That makes sense.

kizudarake posted:

On tv, dickbulb. Not much, anyway.

That's getting super defensive over a movie everyone already likes.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

CJacobs posted:

That's fair enough, the games didn't really start to shine until 2 and 3. I'm just glad they didn't make a SH2 film and poo poo on 1 instead for the most part.

Nah, they made a Silent Hill sequel but skipped straight to making GBS threads on SH3 instead.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Morpheus posted:

Nah, they made a Silent Hill sequel but skipped straight to making GBS threads on SH3 instead.

I know, that's what I said. Silent Hill Revelation 3D is without a doubt the objectively worst movie I have ever seen in my life. I can't even say "well I can see what they were going for" in regards to it; it's just so mind numbingly stupid and bad that I can't even post what irritates me about it because it'd take up the next five pages of the thread and basically be a full synopsis. It's literal garbage. LITERALLY garbage. They dug that movie out of the trash as if it were an excavated dinosaur and were like "oh cool we can sell this to people".

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 04:57 on Sep 14, 2014

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

CJacobs posted:

I know, that's what I said. Silent Hill Revelation 3D is without a doubt the objectively worst movie I have ever seen in my life. I can't even say "well I can see what they were going for" in regards to it; it's just so mind numbingly stupid and bad that I can't even post what irritates me about it because it'd take up the next five pages of the thread and basically be a full synopsis. It's literal garbage. LITERALLY garbage. They dug that movie out of the trash as if it were an excavated dinosaur and were like "oh cool we can sell this to people".

Hey at least it had that cool freaky-rear end mannequin monster. I literally can't remember anything else from that movie, and I saw it in theatres. I think Heather basically teleported back home from the fog-world or something? Goddamn they had no idea what they were doing did they?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Okay so Revelation 3D starts off by loving the ending of Silent Hill The Movie, wherein Heather (Sharon, at the time) is permanently trapped in the foggy welcome-to-layer-1-of-silent-hill! world with her mother because ?????. At the start of Revelation 3D, Sean Bean reveals in a clumsy monologue into a mirror with a hallucination that she just like randomly came back one day, because of half of a magical trinket called the Seal of Metatron, which Sharon's mother used to bring her back to the normal world. However, it turns out that the cult from the first movie is still hunting them despite getting their poo poo wrecked at the end of it, and so Sean Bean and Sharon changed their names and moved to a new town (much like in the third game) and are now in hiding. He has not bothered to inform SharonHeather about any of this because he feels like it'd probably mess her up a little bit. Sean Bean then forgets he's portraying an American person and speaks in his normal accent for the rest of the movie.

It's a mess. It's seriously a horrible, retarded mess. They took some phrases and people from Silent Hill 3 and jumbled them up into a word salad, then ate the word salad by literally eating the script of Silent Hill 3 for lunch, and then poo poo it out onto a manuscript and by dinner time the movie was finished. I cannot overstate how disappointed this dumb loving movie makes me.

Sean Bean doesn't even fuckin try to hide his accent. Like he barely even tries usually but here my sister who hadn't seen the first one was like "is he supposed to be her biological dad they don't talk anything alike at all".

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 05:12 on Sep 14, 2014

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The only real highlight of Silent Hill Movie (not 3d) is the subtle change of the lead characters outfit over the course of the movie. While the outfit pieces don't change each piece gets darker and more red as the film progresses and there were something like 30 intermediary outfits so while you're watching it the effect is gradual enough you may not notice.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Barudak posted:

The only real highlight of Silent Hill Movie (not 3d) is the subtle change of the lead characters outfit over the course of the movie. While the outfit pieces don't change each piece gets darker and more red as the film progresses and there were something like 30 intermediary outfits so while you're watching it the effect is gradual enough you may not notice.

It's so loving great, a seriously great use of costuming. It deserved to be in a much better movie. :sigh:

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Godzilla looked fat. The MUTOs didn't even look real.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

a kitten posted:

It's so loving great, a seriously great use of costuming. It deserved to be in a much better movie. :sigh:

The Silent Hill movie is quite remarkable in that everybody on the technical end of the movie- art, lighting, costuming, special effects, cinematography, sound work- did a top-grade job full of accuracy and love for the series, but it turns out that isn't enough to save a movie from a crappy script, workmanlike direction and unenthusiastic acting. :sigh:

Although my favorite part about the movie is that Rose is essentially a video-game protagonist, and Cybil treats her like you would a video game protagonist, i.e. a dangerous idiot-savant who will do dumb things for no readily explicable reason that will nonetheless turn out to be crucially useful later on.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Ratoslov posted:

The Silent Hill movie is quite remarkable in that everybody on the technical end of the movie- art, lighting, costuming, special effects, cinematography, sound work- did a top-grade job full of accuracy and love for the series, but it turns out that isn't enough to save a movie from a crappy script, workmanlike direction and unenthusiastic acting. :sigh:

Although my favorite part about the movie is that Rose is essentially a video-game protagonist, and Cybil treats her like you would a video game protagonist, i.e. a dangerous idiot-savant who will do dumb things for no readily explicable reason that will nonetheless turn out to be crucially useful later on.

They were too faithful to the games in that sense, including leaving in the parts where the plot make no loving sense. They nailed the atmosphere and look of it but also nailed the nonsensical story. After I saw it I realized it would have been just as well to watch someone play Silent Hill for 2 hours.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Chard posted:

Godzilla 2014... where do I even begin? Spoilers galore and gently caress putting tags around them.

* A different MUTO appears! Let's automatically assume this one is female despite the complete lack of any evidence. Why? Because! And let's not even attempt to evacuate Las Vegas, they'll figure it out once it gets there right?

And let's assume that Godzilla is here to *~bring balance~* :2bong: without any evidence either. Ken Watanabe and Sally Hawkins could've been much more interesting and had much more to do in the story, but instead we have him sitting around saying "I heard some legends once, Godzilla is here to bring balance to the world, he'll fight the MUTOs", and his friend doing nothing except agreeing with him and telling everyone how great he is. Why would Godzilla fight the MUTOs anyway? It might even have teamed up with them to wreak even more havoc for all they know.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Stottie Kyek posted:

And let's assume that Godzilla is here to *~bring balance~* :2bong: without any evidence either. Ken Watanabe and Sally Hawkins could've been much more interesting and had much more to do in the story, but instead we have him sitting around saying "I heard some legends once, Godzilla is here to bring balance to the world, he'll fight the MUTOs", and his friend doing nothing except agreeing with him and telling everyone how great he is. Why would Godzilla fight the MUTOs anyway? It might even have teamed up with them to wreak even more havoc for all they know.
I've not seen this yet, though from the trailer I surmised that it was basically two hours of Ken Watanabe narrating a nature documentary about godzillas and now you're telling me he's not in it much? I was all set to declare this film of the year. :smith:

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
Oh, he does get a decent amount of screentime, but he's not all that useful in the grand scheme of things. He just makes spurious claims that turn out to be correct by chance.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tyrannosaurus posted:

Godzilla looked fat. The MUTOs didn't even look real.

Godzilla is not fat. Twenty stories high is the definition of "big boned".

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen was on the television tonight. It first came out when I was twelve and I loved it back then. Obviously it was pretty terrible on seeing it again. What's annoying though is that it could have been really good. It had some really great art direction, but everything was utterly killed by the abysmal writing.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

I heard it's the movie that killed Sean Connery's will to act.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Pilchenstein posted:

I've not seen this yet, though from the trailer I surmised that it was basically two hours of Ken Watanabe narrating a nature documentary about godzillas and now you're telling me he's not in it much? I was all set to declare this film of the year. :smith:

He is extremely underused. It stands out because hes shown as being the only character who has any clue whats going on yet the camera cant stop following around american protagonist guy.
Becuase hes... more relatable? gently caress if I know.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aggressive pricing posted:

IIRC what happened was that Connery turned down LOTR and the first Matrix movie because he couldn't really follow the scripts. So when someone approached him with another nerd adaptation he just signed right up.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Yeah he really phoned it in for the film.

sulphix
Dec 15, 2008
The Butterfly Effect

Aside from hating most of the movie, there are two things that annoy me to no end.

1: Protagonist (Ashton Kutcher) has blackouts when he's a kid, so he keeps a journal around these events for whatever the gently caress reason so he can remember, who knows. Turns out, the blackouts was him returning from the future to his past body to change events. In the future, he can only go back because of him having the journal which reminds him of the past events, so how the gently caress does he black out the first time? If he's writing the journal to go back in time, how did he go back in time the first time, presumably when he had never blacked out before? His ability to travel through time, hinges on the fact that he has previously traveled through time? gently caress time travel movies, especially this lovely one.

2: Turns out, if Ashton Kutcher kills himself the world turns out alright. So, after he travels back in time and fucks up everything, the main character decides to travel back into his body when he's just a fetus and strangle himself with his umbilical cord. Not joking. So according to the movie, all the other characters are completely unable to lead happy lives unless Ashton Kutcher dies? That's giving Ashton Kutcher quite a bit of sway over everyone while simultaneously removing any agency these characters had over their lives. Kind of a funny message of "hey, if your life sucks, it could be because Ashton Kutcher is still alive. gently caress, you have no control or ability to change your own circumstances."

Seriously, if you like this movie, you have poo poo for opinions and have probably never seen a good movie.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well, not everyone on Earth or whatever, just the people he comes into direct contact with.

The Butterfly Effect doesn't really make an attempt to make the time travel seem like it could actually work, because time travel can't work ever under any circumstances because that's stupid. It does disobey the few rules it decides to set though which bothered me too.

Fun fact: Did you know there is a Butterfly Effect 2 and 3? Don't watch them, they are predictably even worse!

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

sulphix posted:

The Butterfly Effect

That movie came out when I was 16 and at the time I thought it was awesome. And yes I can confirm that I had lovely opinions and had never seen a good movie. This has since been rectified.

sulphix
Dec 15, 2008

tnimark posted:

That movie came out when I was 16 and at the time I thought it was awesome. And yes I can confirm that I had lovely opinions and had never seen a good movie. This has since been rectified.

If I remember correctly, a lot of the hype at the time of its release was "Oh hey, it's Ashton Kutcher, in a SERIOUS movie!!! OMG!!!" As if him being in a NOT comedy makes the movie or his performance any more tolerable.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

sulphix posted:

Very angry :words: about The Butterfly Effect.

Kids who have emotional problems are often advised to journal as a coping mechanism by counselors/therapists.

And it's kind of a nice counterpoint to Groundhog Day*. Sometimes there isn't a good answer to a problem. It was kind of heroic for him to figure out that he couldn't fix everything and needed to bow out.

How did you feel about the tacked on ending to Edge of Tomorrow. I liked the whole movie except for that last bit of glib schlock ffffffff

*although Groundhog Day also pointed out that Phil couldn't fix everything, specifically the old guy living on the street who died every day no matter what

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Wait a second, the ending you're talking about is the alternate uncut ending. Why did you watch the alternate ending instead of the normal one? Not saying the normal ending is any better (he just goes as far back as he can and undoes his friendship with the girl so that nobody in the story ever meets him) but the alternate one is one of like four or five they made.

edit: Looking it up, it seems that ending comes standard on the uncut DVD/re-release and the ending I talked about was only in the theatrical version. Weird.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

Wait a second, the ending you're talking about is the alternate uncut ending. Why did you watch the alternate ending instead of the normal one? Not saying the normal ending is any better (he just goes as far back as he can and undoes his friendship with the girl so that nobody in the story ever meets him) but the alternate one is one of like four or five they made.

edit: Looking it up, it seems that ending comes standard on the uncut DVD/re-release and the ending I talked about was only in the theatrical version. Weird.

The DVD I had had it as an alt. With the shot where he walks by homegirl all dressed up to the 9s (both of them) and turns his head a little and keeps on keeping on.

sulphix
Dec 15, 2008
Yeah, I watched the DVD and that was the ending that was on there (suicide via umbilical). Was kinda awkward because I watched it just after moving into student housing, and the roommate who showed it to me did so because he was sick of me making fun of movies he liked and questioning his taste. After watching that I was just like "Dude, that movie loving sucks too."

syscall girl posted:

Kids who have emotional problems are often advised to journal as a coping mechanism by counselors/therapists.

How did you feel about the tacked on ending to Edge of Tomorrow. I liked the whole movie except for that last bit of glib schlock ffffffff

Didn't mind the journals by themselves, but when they were turned into Flux Capacitors and suddenly had plot mechanics relying on them, felt they needed a bit more scrutiny. Still need to watch Edge of Tomorrow.

Generally, with time travel movies, I give them a pass because it's time travel, who the gently caress knows. Terminator, Back to the Future, plot holes are easier to dismiss because the time travel is more of an excuse to get robots into the past/mothers hot for their sons. With Butterfly Effect, the movie invites us to ask and wonder about the time travel, because time travel itself is a major focus of the movie, instead of the situations it gets the characters into.

I guess if Butterfly didn't want me to bitch so much about their time travel, they shouldn't have focused so much on it, I have a pretty high tolerance for suspension of disbelief.

Don't wanna derail though.

Thor 2

So, the basic setup is that the convergence or whatever the gently caress that happens every 5000? years is happening again, leading to lots of weird interdimensional gateways, physics distortions, and whatever. In the prologue, we learned that Thor's granddad fought this evil elf dude and hid his ultimate weapon far away where nobody could find it. Fast-forward to actual plot and we have Natalie Portman's scientist hanging out in London. She stumbles into a dimensional gateway that sure enough leads her to the ultimate weapon. Of all the doors to open, and of all the people to stumble into them, we not only have a dimensional gateway to the single worst thing in the universe, but the door is also found by someone who knows Asgardians to help them fight it. Just a little too convenient, by a factor of about 1:100,000,000,000,000

Still like the movie though, but I might have poo poo for opinions.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

sulphix posted:

Thor 2

So, the basic setup is that the convergence or whatever the gently caress that happens every 5000? years is happening again, leading to lots of weird interdimensional gateways, physics distortions, and whatever. In the prologue, we learned that Thor's granddad fought this evil elf dude and hid his ultimate weapon far away where nobody could find it. Fast-forward to actual plot and we have Natalie Portman's scientist hanging out in London. She stumbles into a dimensional gateway that sure enough leads her to the ultimate weapon. Of all the doors to open, and of all the people to stumble into them, we not only have a dimensional gateway to the single worst thing in the universe, but the door is also found by someone who knows Asgardians to help them fight it. Just a little too convenient, by a factor of about 1:100,000,000,000,000

Still like the movie though, but I might have poo poo for opinions.

I liked it too! What bothered me is how much Mjolnir's power fluctuated. It's supposed to be a weapon without equal, but then that super Dark elf was able to knock it out of the air like nothing. This is the same weapon that shattered the Bifrost Bridge and could flatten The Hulk.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Mr. Belpit posted:

Korean TV actually does have pretty strict morality censorship - cigarettes even get blurred out.

But only if someone is actually smoking them at that moment. Watching Constantine like this was interesting.

Also, knives get blurred and during sex scenes (at least the one in Rush) it's censored by cranking the contrast down so far it's too dark to see what's up.

Except if it's a Korean sex comedy. In that case anything goes apparently.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

EmmyOk posted:

I liked it too! What bothered me is how much Mjolnir's power fluctuated. It's supposed to be a weapon without equal, but then that super Dark elf was able to knock it out of the air like nothing. This is the same weapon that shattered the Bifrost Bridge and could flatten The Hulk.

To be fair, what ever magic was used to enhance them most likely predates Mjolnir by a lot. More ancient, more able to bend the rules like that.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

CJacobs posted:

(he just goes as far back as he can and undoes his friendship with the girl so that nobody in the story ever meets him)

So he doesn't stop her creepy dad from making kiddie porn? It's been ages since I've seen it, but I think that was one of the few good things he managed to do.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

So he doesn't stop her creepy dad from making kiddie porn? It's been ages since I've seen it, but I think that was one of the few good things he managed to do.

The whole reason Ashton Kutcher's character meets the girl is because she chose to live with her father after her parents divorced, which was in part thanks to Ashton Kutcher because they became friends. At the end of the movie he goes back to prevent them from becoming friends by threatening her, so she chooses to live with her mom instead and thus doesn't get diddled in the first place. Presumably the son also chose to live with the mom instead but we don't ever find that out, I don't think.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Clearly Ashton was the catalyst for the Robin Hood: Prince of Basements scene.

Remove him from the equation and drunk daddy doesn't make child porn of his daughter or hit his son.

e: :doh:

CJacobs posted:

The whole reason Ashton Kutcher's character meets the girl is because she chose to live with her father after her parents divorced, which was in part thanks to Ashton Kutcher because they became friends. At the end of the movie he goes back to prevent them from becoming friends by threatening her, so she chooses to live with her mom instead and thus doesn't get diddled in the first place.

All wrapped up in a neat little package.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

CJacobs posted:

The whole reason Ashton Kutcher's character meets the girl is because she chose to live with her father after her parents divorced, which was in part thanks to Ashton Kutcher because they became friends. At the end of the movie he goes back to prevent them from becoming friends by threatening her, so she chooses to live with her mom instead and thus doesn't get diddled in the first place. Presumably the son also chose to live with the mom instead but we don't ever find that out, I don't think.
I don't think the movie actually gives us any reason to assume that the son isn't abused. In the timeline where Ashton prevents the father from abusing the girl he just switches over to the boy, and the boy wasn't staying because of Ashton, so if he were going to go live with his mum he probably would have in that timeline as well. And even with his own kids out of the way, that guy is still a potential child molester, he might just go after someone else's kids.

He really should have stopped at the timeline where he had no arms. It was abundantly clear at that point that everything he did made things worse, but at least there the girl hadn't been abused and her brother turned out about as well as could be hoped. Risking further time travel at that point was just a bad idea. If he couldn't live without arms he could kill himself, since was going to kill himself in the past anyway.

Also, the most egregious example of the film breaking its own time travel rules is when Ashton proves he can time travel by making the scars appear on his hands. Those scars should have been there the whole time from everyone else's perspective, proving nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tiggum posted:

If he couldn't live without arms he could kill himself

Doesn't he try and then the friend stops him? It's been a while since I've seen the movie. If I'm remembering correctly, he was gonna give up at the part where he ended up without arms because it turned out alright for everyone but him, but then he visits his mom in the hospital and she's got cancer or something so he's like "gently caress it one more time what could possibly go wrong".

Tiggum posted:

Also, the most egregious example of the film breaking its own time travel rules is when Ashton proves he can time travel by making the scars appear on his hands. Those scars should have been there the whole time from everyone else's perspective, proving nothing.

This is the same dumb bullshit I had problems with that kept me from really enjoying Looper, but at least in The Butterfly Effect the producers didn't outright say "we don't care if it doesn't make sense and you shouldn't either". I don't know which is worse, putting it out there that the problem exists and pretending it's not an integral issue with the movie like Looper did, or just ignoring it and being okay with the film being inconsistent in a lot of ways like The Butterfly Effect did.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 04:07 on Sep 15, 2014