Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

The Chairman posted:

"Stroking the Haft" plays out a lot differently in the original. In the JP version, Hunberct is mostly just exceedingly vain; he and the two subordinates are just constantly talking about his exceptional beauty, and the subordinates come across as more star-struck than horny.

As far as I can tell, everything about the "lever" at Highbridge is purely a creation of the localization team.

Long live the localization team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
The localisation team really are the best. That quest had me in absolute stitches from the sheer volume of puns.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Is there a list somewhere of the noteworthy quests? I usually just skip the dialogue/never read the quest text.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The localisation is pretty good on the whole, but sometimes the GRRM-speak can get tiresome. Every time Alphinaud says "must needs" I die a little inside. And I swear to god there was a nipples-on-a-breastplate joke somewhere.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 14, 2014

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

rawrr posted:

Is there a list somewhere of the noteworthy quests? I usually just skip the dialogue/never read the quest text.

Pretty much all the max level side quests are worth paying attention to, of course the best is Hildibrand, but I enjoyed the Postmoogle stuff too. For low level jobs you absolutely need to pay attention to the puglist quests, because they are awesome.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

The localisation is pretty good on the whole, but sometimes the GRRM-speak can get tiresome. Every time Alphinaud says "must needs" I die a little inside. And I swear to god there was a nipples-on-a-breastplate joke somewhere.

The localisation is a mummer's farce, truth be told.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

There's aught that can be done for it now though.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 14, 2014

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Would I could wrap my hands about the necks of the whoreson beggars themselves....

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
good one

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Varance posted:

Reminder to Hyperion goons: Hyperigoon is a thing, send Meliadoul Chelewae, Secret Technique, Saa'li Trinidad or Sukimin Yakumo a tell for a linkshell invite. Mel's usually on 9-Midnight eastern, not sure about the others.

Hooray, more goons to get hype with. :woop: I'll hit one of you guys up later if I manage to get on tonight.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Fister Roboto posted:

And I swear to god there was a nipples-on-a-breastplate joke somewhere.

There's at least two, one of which is in the Weaver storyline.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
So I'm leveling up Gladiator, which I've been told is a pain in the rear end compared to MRD/Warrior but I like the way it plays better. Is there a decent guide to low level tanking somewhere?

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".
So I'm a few seals away from getting my first sand. I can't decide whether I should use it on bard or drg weapon. My gear on both is pretty similar, a mix of i90 and ST drops. Which would goons recommend doing first?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Blockhouse posted:

So I'm leveling up Gladiator, which I've been told is a pain in the rear end compared to MRD/Warrior but I like the way it plays better. Is there a decent guide to low level tanking somewhere?

Throw your shield, flash twice and then cry yourself to sleep while waiting for Rage of Halone (level 26) and Shield Oath (level 40 :smithicide:).

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Painful Dart Bomb posted:

So I'm a few seals away from getting my first sand. I can't decide whether I should use it on bard or drg weapon. My gear on both is pretty similar, a mix of i90 and ST drops. Which would goons recommend doing first?

Which do you enjoy more?

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Painful Dart Bomb posted:

Which does your static need more? If you don't have a static, what do you prefer playing?

Both weapons are pretty similar in terms of how much they'll increase the dps of their respective class.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

One thing I really like about this game is that it feels way easier to get groups going cross-guild. Also people are in general way chiller than in WoW.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Gorelab posted:

One thing I really like about this game is that it feels way easier to get groups going cross-guild. Also people are in general way chiller than in WoW.

I'll say, I had a series of disasters when getting Curtana today and everybody was cool when I made mistakes either tanking dungeons or off tanking Primals.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

The only really bad experience I had was a pair of healers in Leviathan EX who jumped off the ship after we killed the very last add because 'DPS is too slow'.

Also I wish I could find a group on Cactuar to kill Mog-EX. That thing is like PUG kryptonite. I WANT TO KILL RAMUH DAMMIT.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Pretty much every major gently caress-up I've had in duties has been followed by "don't worry about it" and useful advice.

In fact, the only rear end in a top hat I've met so far was a tank that tried to speedrun Tam-Tara (non-hard) without saying he wanted to do a speedrun, and then getting mad at the healer when he inevitably died from overpulling. We also didn't have any AoE going on (2 DRGs as DPS) so we didn't save any time from a normal run.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Gorelab posted:

The only really bad experience I had was a pair of healers in Leviathan EX who jumped off the ship after we killed the very last add because 'DPS is too slow'.

Also I wish I could find a group on Cactuar to kill Mog-EX. That thing is like PUG kryptonite. I WANT TO KILL RAMUH DAMMIT.

I know I know. Maybe once I finish getting my myth armor for PLD we can double tank it. Also at least you've gotten farther on Leviathan than I have. Never seem to make it past second spumes.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Gorelab posted:

I'll save you some time and trouble: if you can't find a group of people reliable enough to kill Mog EX, Ramuh is not going to happen either.

Honestly, how could people have imagined that removing Titan EX as a requirement would somehow eliminate all of the problems inherent with pubbies being bad at executing mechanics? Before, people were bitching about being stuck on Titan due to PUGs. Next, I'm sure, people will be bitching about being stuck on Shiva EX because PUGs can't do it.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Slime King Hat is the latest Best Thing in a game with a solid year of successive Best Things.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Olesh posted:

I'll save you some time and trouble: if you can't find a group of people reliable enough to kill Mog EX, Ramuh is not going to happen either.

Honestly, how could people have imagined that removing Titan EX as a requirement would somehow eliminate all of the problems inherent with pubbies being bad at executing mechanics? Before, people were bitching about being stuck on Titan due to PUGs. Next, I'm sure, people will be bitching about being stuck on Shiva EX because PUGs can't do it.

I think I could pull in more of the people who I know could do it for Ramuh than Mog EX. Mog is kinda both annoying and only somewhat useful while Ramuh's rings are nice as are the ilvl 100 weapons for alts.

Still I can't bitch too much in the month I've been resubbed I've gotten pretty far through SCOB even with my ilvl at 94.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Olesh posted:

They removed Titan EX as a requirement because it's a badly designed Player vs. Ping fight, not because pubbies were bad at it for other reasons.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Whizbang posted:

They removed Titan EX as a requirement because it's a badly designed Player vs. Ping fight, not because pubbies were bad at it for other reasons.

[Citation needed]

Ping was never acceptable as an excuse back when we did Football School, and surprise, surprise, we got hundreds of goons through with only one long-term failure and one expulsion. The problem was never the ping, the problem is always getting together a group of 8 competent people to learn and execute.

Mog EX and Ramuh EX aren't particularly difficult fights, they just require coordination and execution. But then again, the same could be said of Titan EX - it just requires more memorization to learn the patterns.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Whizbang posted:

Just stop.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Whizbang posted:

I'll grant that it's a hard fight, especially if what is being shown to you isn't aligning with reality due to ping, but it's hyperbole to say it's poorly designed or anything to do with player vs. ping by design.

If you can't dodge the things in titan I have bad news for you re: the entire rest of the "end-game"

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
I want to see someone who bitches about Titan dodge Acid Rain :allears:

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Doublestep posted:

I want to see someone who bitches about Titan dodge Acid Rain :allears:
Acid rain timing weirds me out so I don't bother running from it, just elusive jump out.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Good luck dodging Earthshock, too.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Actually it's never like DPS coordination that gets me on Mog. IT always seems to be the healers like completely loving up Moogle-Go-Round. But oh well. I think eventually I can drag the people who I know and are decent to get the drat thing done.

Levi-EX though is pretty okay with PUGs at least.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Olesh posted:

Ping was never acceptable as an excuse back when we did Football School, and surprise, surprise, we got hundreds of goons through with only one long-term failure and one expulsion. The problem was never the ping

Try playing from Australia, it's nearly impossible to dodge Titan HM Weight of the Land, nevermind EX.

That being said it doesn't gate anything but Ifrit EX now so who gives a gently caress.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

kirbysuperstar posted:

Try playing from Australia, it's nearly impossible to dodge Titan HM Weight of the Land, nevermind EX.

Same here from Korea, but apparently we just need to get good. :smug: :rolleyes:

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldas2aOFBUg

No excuse, just get good.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer
Bombs aren't a problem, it's that Weight of the Land is an instacast for anyone in Oceania.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
You can take the technique in the video and apply it to the whole game. If you know when something is going to be cast, you can dodge before it is. Every fight in the game is a completely scripted encounter so lag is not an excuse and never will be.

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
The same theory applies. Use some foresight and realize its coming. Its never a surprise you know when hes going to cast it, move early just like in the video

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
its almost like the entire fight is scripted and you can move before the WoL cast because you know its coming up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

if you play on japanese servers you'll probably get a better ping.

• Locked thread