Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Robot Danger posted:

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I'm jumping all over the Marvel Unlimited option. I had thought it was an app to read digital versions of comics that cost the same as a print copy. This kind of service is perfect for me.

You can get current comics for about as much as retail (i think it might be $1 cheaper?) but the unlimited option totally gets you a huge back catalogue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

head58
Apr 1, 2013

W/r/t Hawkeye, are they saying that Kate is a Madame Masque clone?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

head58 posted:

Where did you get that from?

head58
Apr 1, 2013

1. Father was a client, 2. She looks enough like Masque to pull off impersonating her (yes, I know she wore a mask but hair, body shape etc), the emphasis on the room full of Masques and that Kate never looked under the mask. I dunno, it just seemed to click together for me. Probably wrong but a better origin than "I was raped so I took up archery."

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

head58 posted:

1. Father was a client, 2. She looks enough like Masque to pull off impersonating her (yes, I know she wore a mask but hair, body shape etc), the emphasis on the room full of Masques and that Kate never looked under the mask. I dunno, it just seemed to click together for me. Probably wrong but a better origin than "I was raped so I took up archery."

We saw her without the mask in the annual

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

head58 posted:

I'm pretty sure Tony Stark would probably freak the gently caress out about seeing her if that were true considering he had seen Madame Masque before her face got burnt up. I don't think that's really the case.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

The whole thing about not looking at her face was relevant because it meant that Whitney was able to gently caress with Kate when she first arrived in LA.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

SirDan3k posted:

That's the exact opposite of a "gently caress you MRA" cover though, visually implying that to be empowered a woman has to have a magic hammer phallus.

I see it as her taking the magic phallus away from it's "rightful" owner. Combine this with the panels showing the "he" transmuting to "she" and it's like, "your toys are now mine :dealwithit:"

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's not a lady weapon.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was confused in Hawkeye when they were talking about Neff, then I remembered Whitney Frost is just an assumed name and Madam Masks real name is Guilia Neferaia.

I love hope dopey Clint was drawn in Kates flashback to the USB arrow. 256mb, that's like 4 whole albums!

Ms Marvel just keeps being fantastic. The Inventor plot is getting really dark to. Her interactions with Lockjaw was drat good, and her parents reaction was priceless. I still like how her older brother is written religious but also line a human being. He objects to Lockjaw but knows Kamala is stubborn as he'll and there's no use in pressing the issue.

Also, snow Mexico.

That was my favorite Captain Marvel of this run. Carol and rockets interactions was pretty good. Rocket joins the group of people who were right.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
I picked up all of Soule's She-Hulk and now I love She-Hulk and I'm trying to get my co-workers to read She-Hulk but they can't stand the art. :saddowns:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

First Bass posted:

I picked up all of Soule's She-Hulk and now I love She-Hulk and I'm trying to get my co-workers to read She-Hulk but they can't stand the art. :saddowns:

I can't blame them.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Ultimate Spider-Man seems to be getting pretty good reviews from what I've heard - how good are the Ultimate comics? I pretty much never hear anyone talk about it, and saw that All-New X-Men as well as Spider-Verse are having ultimate spider-man crossovers so I've been thinking about starting to read some of them to see what it's like.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Wolpertinger posted:

Ultimate Spider-Man seems to be getting pretty good reviews from what I've heard - how good are the Ultimate comics? I pretty much never hear anyone talk about it, and saw that All-New X-Men as well as Spider-Verse are having ultimate spider-man crossovers so I've been thinking about starting to read some of them to see what it's like.

Ultimate Spider-Man's easily the best of them and well worth reading.

The Warren Ellis and Mike Carey runs of Ultimate Fantastic Four are good.

If you can tolerate Mark Millar and his Mark Millar-isms, Ultimates 1 & 2 are both good.

That's about it. Ultimate X-Men has its moments, but you really gotta pick through it to find 'em and the lows are really low.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

I can't blame them.

I can. They are bad and should feel bad.

AllLuckySevens
Oct 15, 2012
What was everyones favorite pull this week?

I was really impressed with Avengers 34. Hyperion is an interesting ape on superman, and I love the strugle with emotional dissonance that comes from being everyones physical superior. I think a limited solo series could be interesting.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Hyperion was taught how to solve problems at a Macro level, Superman works on a Micro level.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Ultimate Spider-Man's easily the best of them and well worth reading.

The Warren Ellis and Mike Carey runs of Ultimate Fantastic Four are good.

If you can tolerate Mark Millar and his Mark Millar-isms, Ultimates 1 & 2 are both good.

That's about it. Ultimate X-Men has its moments, but you really gotta pick through it to find 'em and the lows are really low.

I liked Millar's run on Ultimate FF, but I think I'm more tolerant of Greg Land art then most people around here. I need to get around to reading the rest of Mike Carey's Ultimate FF.

Hickman's Ultimates and the Ultimate Hawkeye mini were pretty good too.

Warren Ellis's ultimate Galactus trilogy was really good and he wrote a couple other mini's that are good. I also liked the Ultimate Hulk vs Wolverine mini, even if there was a multi-year gap between the second and third issue (which was made even more hilarious since they don't actually fight until the third issue).

Basically if it's written by Bendis, Millar or Ellis at worst it's going to be readable. the rest is hit or miss unless it's written by Jeph Loeb, then it's likely horrible.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I liked Millar's run on Ultimate FF, but I think I'm more tolerant of Greg Land art then most people around here. I need to get around to reading the rest of Mike Carey's Ultimate FF.

Hickman's Ultimates and the Ultimate Hawkeye mini were pretty good too.

Warren Ellis's ultimate Galactus trilogy was really good and he wrote a couple other mini's that are good. I also liked the Ultimate Hulk vs Wolverine mini, even if there was a multi-year gap between the second and third issue (which was made even more hilarious since they don't actually fight until the third issue).

Basically if it's written by Bendis, Millar or Ellis at worst it's going to be readable. the rest is hit or miss unless it's written by Jeph Loeb, then it's likely horrible.

Greg Land is poison.

I was not a fan of the Galactus trilogy, the Hulk v. Wolverine stuff, or either of the Hickman things you mentioned (his Thor mini was alright, though).

I will however extend a mention to Ellis' two Iron Man minis (Ultimate Human and Ultimate Armor Wars) and Jason Aaron & Ron Garney's Ultimate Captain America mini.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Senor Candle posted:

Hyperion was taught how to solve problems at a Macro level, Superman works on a Micro level.

Can you say this again in baby - speak please. My pretty little head is spinning.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Superman punches the bank robber. Hyperion punches the macro-economic disparity that prevents income mobility.

So how long before Original Sin is collected anyway? What's the usual timeline between an event wrapping up and a trade being released?

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Sep 14, 2014

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Late October / early November for collected Original Sin stuff I think.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Yeah Amazon is showing a HC of #0-8 of the main series, plus #1-5 of Original Sins, releasing on the 4th of November. Direct market might be getting a bit earlier.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Re: Hawkeye

So Madame Masque is an LMD and has always been an LMD? And so is Harold H. Harold?

Fraction's use of Harold H. Harold is weird. He's an old Tomb of Dracula character who was a writer who became a vampire. He died via the Montessi Formula but was probably brought back when all the other vampires were. But here Harold is not a vampire but an LMD? I guess? How does that relate to Marcus H. Harold over in Wolverine, who is pretty blatantly the Tomb of Dracula Harold under an alias (he's even revealed to be a vampire in Wolverine #12)?

Rad issue, though. Kate is the best.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

SynthOrange posted:

Superman punches the bank robber. Hyperion punches the macro-economic disparity that prevents income mobility.

So how long before Original Sin is collected anyway? What's the usual timeline between an event wrapping up and a trade being released?

It's kind of like Batman and Tony Stark. Batman punches Poors and let's everyone else do adult responsible stuff while Tony Stark drives his world forward running his company and also punching aliens and foreigners in the face.

I've suggested Superman should take over the Bugle and literally push the truth and justice as a sort of media mogul or like in All Star and TAS help Star Labs with scientific research.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Little Mac posted:

So Madame Masque is an LMD and has always been an LMD? And so is Harold H. Harold?

Fraction's use of Harold H. Harold is weird. He's an old Tomb of Dracula character who was a writer who became a vampire. He died via the Montessi Formula but was probably brought back when all the other vampires were. But here Harold is not a vampire but an LMD? I guess? How does that relate to Marcus H. Harold over in Wolverine, who is pretty blatantly the Tomb of Dracula Harold under an alias (he's even revealed to be a vampire in Wolverine #12)?

Didn't she say MM had LMD so it looked like she was everywhere at once? Something tells me they are less sophisticated than the ones used by SHIELD, so really important stuff she has to go personally (like the stuff involving the tape and the stuff with Kate in LA), but to reward idiots with naked sushi girls, she can send one of her LMDs.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gatts posted:

It's kind of like Batman and Tony Stark. Batman punches Poors and let's everyone else do adult responsible stuff while Tony Stark drives his world forward running his company and also punching aliens and foreigners in the face.

tbf to Batman, Tony hasn't run his company in a while. He took a page from the Bruce Wayne playbook and passed on ownership to a friend (Pepper) while he's been taking off on space adventures and Avenging.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

TwoPair posted:

tbf to Batman, Tony hasn't run his company in a while. He took a page from the Bruce Wayne playbook and passed on ownership to a friend (Pepper) while he's been taking off on space adventures and Avenging.

That reminds me, is Avengers Tower 100% Avengers or does Stark Industries still maintain offices on the lower floors?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Didn't she say MM had LMD so it looked like she was everywhere at once? Something tells me they are less sophisticated than the ones used by SHIELD, so really important stuff she has to go personally (like the stuff involving the tape and the stuff with Kate in LA), but to reward idiots with naked sushi girls, she can send one of her LMDs.

Well she's selling them to people as a way to prolong their lives, so they must be pretty good.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

This issue just reinforced my belief that Matt Fraction absolutely isn't writing Kate as 21.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Little Mac posted:

I had no idea Harold was not an original character; I just thought he was an homage to Elliot Gould in The Long Goodbye that Fraction added to Hawkeye.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
By the way, did Ms. Marvel appear in Original Sins at all beyond the cover of #1 and a one-panel cameo in that one Lockjaw silent story?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lurdiak posted:

This issue just reinforced my belief that Matt Fraction absolutely isn't writing Kate as 21.

How old do you think he's writing her? I could say anywhere between 16 and 30.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

twistedmentat posted:

How old do you think he's writing her? I could say anywhere between 16 and 30.

While it's Fraction under discussion, in Gillen's Young Avengers Kate was intended to be just-about-to-turn-18.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

YA was a bit ambiguous in that they were not yet adult. I think they implied that meant not-quite-21.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I always thought she was right around 20. They've shown her drinking before, and she doesn't really act like a teenager or fresh-out-of high school.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Nope, going back and looking at YA #11, she says she's "so close to 21." I was wrong, y'all were right. Oops!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She turns 21 in the newest Young Avengers run. It's a plot point because the bad guy of the run can control adults.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, I figured she was supposed to be 20, 21 based on the YA run, though she's in a lot of ways immature so she can come across younger. Or at least how she is in Fractions run.

I guess the YA are no longer teens so they can all be loving each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, I figured she was supposed to be 20, 21 based on the YA run, though she's in a lot of ways immature so she can come across younger. Or at least how she is in Fractions run.

I guess the YA are no longer teens so they can all be loving each other.

Yeah in Hawkeye she could be 21 but just a rich girl and a bit immature. It goes with her saying that her and Clint together are a functional adult. It also goes into how in LA Kate is just like Clint.

• Locked thread