Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Gutter Owl posted:

The Washington Post has also done an article on Ruhnke and his designs here.

This was an excellent read. Thank you for posting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

StashAugustine posted:

Unfortunately, most of them are out of print- FITL is currently being shipped but will likely run out fast.

Truth. I've got CL and FitL and am waiting on the ADP reprint. I'll probably never see AA. for whatever reason I just don't care about Gallic war and I'll probably regret that after it comes out and I can't find it anywhere.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

andrew smash posted:

Truth. I've got CL and FitL and am waiting on the ADP reprint. I'll probably never see AA. for whatever reason I just don't care about Gallic war and I'll probably regret that after it comes out and I can't find it anywhere.

Anybody who isn't excited for De Bello Gallico in the COIN engine is dead inside :colbert:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

In case you don't read the Impzone thread:

quote:

got my copy of FIRE IN THE LAKE, some pics:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I love how you size compare COIN board games to other COIN board games instead of a standard size item like, say, a reference pear.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Fat Samurai posted:

I love how you size compare board games to other board games instead of a standard size item like, say, a reference pear.
That's not why I did that :v:

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
drat, that is one good looking box

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Tekopo posted:

In case you don't read the Impzone thread:

Bravo. An instant masterpiece.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Tekopo posted:

That's not why I did that :v:

Wait wait it took me like five or six views but I think I actually got it, christ I'm thick.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

silvergoose posted:

Wait wait it took me like five or six views but I think I actually got it, christ I'm thick.

explain it to me, I'm dumb.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Lord Frisk posted:

explain it to me, I'm dumb.

Have you ever heard of a comic Ctrl-Alt-Delete?

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

silvergoose posted:

Have you ever heard of a comic Ctrl-Alt-Delete?

...Seriously?

Tekopo, you should be ashamed.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Wow... I... Wow.

This. This is the height of nerdery.

I approve.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Sorry Tek I was so loving pissed at not being able to get it that I blurted out the answer. It was pretty brilliant.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I still don't get it, the only thing I know about that comic is that gbs hates it and the author is a rapist or something.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Gutter Owl posted:

...Seriously?

Tekopo, you should be ashamed.
It takes the piss out of probably the worst comic ever created. I have no shame.

Edit: for people that don't get it, search "loss cad"

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Tekopo posted:

It takes the piss out of probably the worst comic ever created. I have no shame.

holy poo poo... now I see it :stare:

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

Tekopo posted:

Tekopo...you're sullying board games with CAD...think about what you're doing. (it's amazing)

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

tomdidiot posted:

I'm a big fan of traditional stuff; I love hex and counter wargames, and am now learning OCS. I'm triyng to presuade Tekopo to play more OCS with me :p

If you're looking for someone else, hit me up at this username at gmail. I'm probably SA's greatest OCS proponent.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Just finished my first game of Cuba Libre. I was Government, my brother was M26 and my friend was DR (Syndicate was AI). It went right down to the last propaganda card. The Syndicate was very close to victory (and managed to keep down M26 for me- on two successive random terrors they chose a M26 space rather than any of mine) but I managed to shut them down and then use Civic Action on the final propaganda to raise my support to 1 off my victory. However, my brother who was rather peeved about the Terror pointed out to the DR player (who didn't really know what was doing) that he could Rally to grab control of Oriente from him and win the game. All in all, I loved it. My only issue is that even having a decent idea of what to do, playing Government is really hard- I was continually short on resources and didn't have the money to do civic action, even when I did manage to get troops and police into a space (which wasn't helped by the M26 player being very aggressive about Infiltration.)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Man can't wait not get FitL on the table now that I have it.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

How are COIN games assuming that not everybody has read the rules before, or for solitaire? I'm thinking of P500ing Gallic War but those are the most likely scenarios; if it's not at least decent as solitaire it probably wouldn't be worthwhile.

Also, has anybody here P500d from Canada? Tekopo's experience in UK could easily happen here, so maybe waiting for release is better. Or I could get A Distant Plain in-country, but the theme is less interesting to me.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

wins32767 posted:

If you're looking for someone else, hit me up at this username at gmail. I'm probably SA's greatest OCS proponent.

Cool, I'll probly take up your offer at some point, though frs,t I'd acutally like to learn/play the system properly face-to-face without the added hassle of learnin how to use Vassal/cyberboard as well.

BrainBot
Aug 18, 2012

rchandra posted:

Also, has anybody here P500d from Canada? Tekopo's experience in UK could easily happen here, so maybe waiting for release is better. Or I could get A Distant Plain in-country, but the theme is less interesting to me.

I posted details a page or two back, but I paid $17 for shipping for FitL to BC. No tax or duties from customs so far.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

rchandra posted:

How are COIN games assuming that not everybody has read the rules before, or for solitaire? I'm thinking of P500ing Gallic War but those are the most likely scenarios; if it's not at least decent as solitaire it probably wouldn't be worthwhile.

I just introduced Cuba Libre to some friends of mine over the weekend. If they're interested in board games and have a little patience (and are willing to have a game or two before they get a grip on it) it's not that bad. Solitaire it's got AI flowcharts for all the factions, but it gets a little rote after a while.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

We might only have 3 for FitL tomorrow, what do people recommend? One person taking NVA/VC vs ARVN vs US or one person taking US/ARVN vs NVA vs VC? Or maybe just have it NPC? Anyone tried any of these options?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tekopo posted:

We might only have 3 for FitL tomorrow, what do people recommend? One person taking NVA/VC vs ARVN vs US or one person taking US/ARVN vs NVA vs VC? Or maybe just have it NPC? Anyone tried any of these options?

I recommend NVA/VC as the one player.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Panzeh posted:

I recommend NVA/VC as the one player.
What about having ARVN/US win together (ie team play), with one player taking NVA/VC? Since it's gonna be newbies I don't want to feel like the COIN side is disadvantaged because they aren't working together.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tekopo posted:

What about having ARVN/US win together (ie team play), with one player taking NVA/VC? Since it's gonna be newbies I don't want to feel like the COIN side is disadvantaged because they aren't working together.

The team play victory conditions require both to win(on the COIN side). I think the game will get kinda ridiculous if one winning means they both win because the US can easily cause an ARVN victory if they really want to.

The reason I say NVA/VC should be a player is because VC is by far the easiest country to play.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Ended up playing 4P short scenario, which we finished in a very respectable 2 and a half hours. I was the VC and we were all pretty close to victory, with the NVA struggling the most but still managing to get within 2 of victory. I passed my threshold but the NVA infiltrated me to bring it back down. It got down to the ARVN being able to get loads of patronage due to the Young Turks staying around all game and even though the US was over the victory threshold it wasn't enough, with the ARVN winning by a wide margin on the last few cards. I had to drop back since I needed to Tax and couldn't pull back in time. I think everyone agreed that the Short scenario wasn't indicative of the full game, but everyone really enjoyed it and I can't wait to play it again. I still think ADP is my favourite but FitL is close.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Tekopo posted:

Ended up playing 4P short scenario, which we finished in a very respectable 2 and a half hours. I was the VC and we were all pretty close to victory, with the NVA struggling the most but still managing to get within 2 of victory. I passed my threshold but the NVA infiltrated me to bring it back down. It got down to the ARVN being able to get loads of patronage due to the Young Turks staying around all game and even though the US was over the victory threshold it wasn't enough, with the ARVN winning by a wide margin on the last few cards. I had to drop back since I needed to Tax and couldn't pull back in time. I think everyone agreed that the Short scenario wasn't indicative of the full game, but everyone really enjoyed it and I can't wait to play it again. I still think ADP is my favourite but FitL is close.

Ugh, I found a copy on eBay for about $65 shipped; I might have to jump on it even though I've not yet played any of the COIN games.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

AesirKnight posted:

Ugh, I found a copy on eBay for about $65 shipped; I might have to jump on it even though I've not yet played any of the COIN games.

I saw a lone copy on Amazon for about that much that qualified for free shipping, but I hesitated and now the single copy is ~$80 with shipping.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

I just introduced Cuba Libre to some friends of mine over the weekend. If they're interested in board games and have a little patience (and are willing to have a game or two before they get a grip on it) it's not that bad. Solitaire it's got AI flowcharts for all the factions, but it gets a little rote after a while.

BrainBot posted:

I posted details a page or two back, but I paid $17 for shipping for FitL to BC. No tax or duties from customs so far.

Thanks, I decided to try P500ing Gallic War.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

I saw a lone copy on Amazon for about that much that qualified for free shipping, but I hesitated and now the single copy is ~$80 with shipping.

All right, I jumped. $65 shipped. The eBay seller is "lumberjaques", looks like there are a few more copies at that price.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I saw this on BGG as well and does it seem weird to anyone else that the NVA is so cash-strapped in comparison to the VC? Maybe it was just in our game (NVA got their trail reduced to 0 and lost -9 resources due to an event), but even then there aren't many ways to get resources during a campaign, as opposed to VC which can tax (taxing and then immediate terror doesn't lose you opposition and make you more money than you spend).

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

rchandra posted:

Thanks, I decided to try P500ing Gallic War.

On that subject, how long did FITL take to come out? I'm wondering how long it'll be before Gallic War is ready.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Volko Ruhnke said "a year at a minimum" for Gallic War, a month ago on BGG. That'll be a nice surprise, or I'll obsessively watch for updates - not sure which.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
Just got FITL for $47. I'm going to wait for the confirmation email to be sure it's not a hallucination.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Just got FITL for $47. I'm going to wait for the confirmation email to be sure it's not a hallucination.
Who is selling them for this low a price? :stare:

Also I'm still so ambivalent to Gallic war. I'm interested to see how they are going to model the pitched battles (although I guess FitL already showed a glimpse of it) and especially the special orders, since they said they were going to be tied with leader tokens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Tekopo posted:

I saw this on BGG as well and does it seem weird to anyone else that the NVA is so cash-strapped in comparison to the VC? Maybe it was just in our game (NVA got their trail reduced to 0 and lost -9 resources due to an event), but even then there aren't many ways to get resources during a campaign, as opposed to VC which can tax (taxing and then immediate terror doesn't lose you opposition and make you more money than you spend).

I would concentrate on keeping the Trail up for a good multiplied resource gain during coups and try to build bases in North Vietnam/Laos/Cambodia early. March using LOCs as much as you can. :10bux: Ask the VC for money. :10bux: