Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Majorian posted:

How was signing an agreement with the EU "Finlandization"? If anything, it was a move towards joining Western Europe's sphere of influence.

Ukraine already has a free trade agreement with Russia, The EU agreement would be the bridge between Russia and Europe that a Neutral Finlandized Ukraine would have to have to be a Neutral Findlandized Ukraine. It is similar in ideal to the trade treaties that Finland had between the USSR and European states (Yes I do now that the trade agreements under GATT and WTO are quite different but the point still stands). You know, the country that the word "Findlandization" comes from.

quote:

It would seem that the Kremlin didn't believe them when they said these things, which isn't that surprising. They feel that the US violated the agreement to keep Ukraine neutral when the Bush Administration started pushing for Ukrainian accession in 2002. Why would they believe NATO and Yatsenyuk now?

If NATO accession was the reason then why was Russia fine with Donetsk, Luhansk and Crimea joining Russia and leaving the rest of Ukraine independent to still join NATO in the future? Why didn't Russia invade until after Russian irregulars were getting their asses kicked in Donetsk and Luhansk?

quote:

Also, nobody's claiming that the possibility of Ukraine acceding to NATO membership was the spark that lit up the powder keg - just that it made up a good chunk of the "powder."

You claim that NATO was the powder keg? Bullshit and you know it. It was the possibility loss of economic interests in eastern Ukraine. If it was fear of NATO then there would have been little green men acting all over Ukraine in Feb 2014, not Aug 2014.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Majorian posted:

Eh, I think he'll back down, if we give him something he can claim as a victory. Again, I don't think he wants to be shoveling money into the furnace over the status of the Donbas. I don't know how long it would take Russia to implode, but it would probably depend upon the pace of whatever arms race we got into with them. Some years, certainly.

I'm not sure he is, actually. Some reports say he's using gear from Crimean depots, and, er, from a certain perspective, human lives are cheap.

But I think you're right. After whatever this is, is resolved, he'll do it again. We've got a year or two of paranoid countries before that, too.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.

Majorian posted:

Are you referring to the nuclear weapons left over in Ukraine from the Soviet period? Because they gave those back to Russia in 1996.

No I mean I remember reading earlier in the thread that Ukraine literally does maintenance on Russia's nukes, there was a lot of talk about how dumb that was.

Anyone else remember that? I could be confusing some things.

fake edit: http://en.itar-tass.com/world/736727

other stuff says they do maintenance on the SS-18 and SS-25 missiles. I wish I had the foresight to save the sources from earlier in the thread, they were better I think.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The new dividing line here being the precise thing people have been talking about in this thread, with the current Ukrainian situation being applied to the rest of Russia's neighbors. NATO pushing east stabilized Eastern Europe, by simply removing large parts of it from NATO-Russian competition.

There wasn't a competition when NATO expansion started. If you're going to claim that it would have started anyway, regardless of whether or not NATO expanded, you're going to have to show your work, because I'm not seeing it as a given. A possibility, sure, but not a given. Moreover, since we had a pro-US government in control of Russia, one which seemed to be pursuing positive relations with its former client states, it was probably not the smartest move on the US' part to play into the paranoia of anti-West nationalists. That's how we ended up with an uncooperative Russian government.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

karthun posted:

Ukraine already has a free trade agreement with Russia, The EU agreement would be the bridge between Russia and Europe that a Neutral Finlandized Ukraine would have to have to be a Neutral Findlandized Ukraine. It is similar in ideal to the trade treaties that Finland had between the USSR and European states (Yes I do now that the trade agreements under GATT and WTO are quite different but the point still stands). You know, the country that the word "Findlandization" comes from.

Which is why this is where NATO comes into play. Regardless of what Yatsenyuk ended up saying, when you have the Secretary-General of NATO saying that Ukraine's accession to NATO "remains an option," it's hardly surprising that Russia didn't see Ukraine as heading towards a neutral status.

quote:

If NATO accession was the reason then why was Russia fine with Donetsk, Luhansk and Crimea joining Russia and leaving the rest of Ukraine independent to still join NATO in the future?

I think the Kremlin is counting on everything but Crimea still staying in Ukraine, thus making it impossible for Ukraine to join NATO anytime soon.

quote:

You claim that NATO was the powder keg? Bullshit and you know it.

Prove it. Look at those articles I posted and tell me where they're wrong.

e: Also, "the" powder keg? You just quoted a sentence where I said NATO wasn't the only factor.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Sep 14, 2014

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Denzine posted:

No I mean I remember reading earlier in the thread that Ukraine literally does maintenance on Russia's nukes, there was a lot of talk about how dumb that was.

other stuff says they do maintenance on the SS-18 and SS-25 missiles. I wish I had the foresight to save the sources from earlier in the thread, they were better I think.

Not just that, but the city of Kharkiv is pretty much built around the refurbishment for export and maintenance on a large number of Russia's pre-existing armor arsenal. It would be like if Alabama seceded and took the Anniston depot with it, which is the only Army installation that handles the repair and ugrading of heavy tracked vehicles (i.e. tanks) on a mass scale. It's a significant loss to the logistics train.

Also, even with all that's gone on, if I was Putin, I'd start doing my nuke maintenance internally. Even if they take Donbass, what guarantees are there that the CIA is going to recruit disgruntled techs to sabotage Russia's strategic nuclear defense with Stuxnet-style viruses or just mechanical sabotage?

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 14, 2014

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Denzine posted:

I actually didn't know this, weirdly enough. I wouldn't be too worried for the Strategic Rocket Forces, though - their nuclear security is pretty good, for the moment.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Majorian posted:

But I'm not arguing for Ukraine to be left at Russia's mercy. I'm arguing for Ukraine to be neutral.

By Russian definition, "neutral Ukraine" means "Russian-aligned Ukraine".

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

By Russian definition, "neutral Ukraine" means "Russian-aligned Ukraine".

They know they can't hold on much longer. They're not idiots.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Majorian posted:

There wasn't a competition when NATO expansion started. If you're going to claim that it would have started anyway, regardless of whether or not NATO expanded, you're going to have to show your work, because I'm not seeing it as a given. A possibility, sure, but not a given.
Well, let's consider the facts, partially as you've presented them:

- Russia views itself as a great power.
- Great powers demand spheres of influence.
- The West really wanted to make money in Eastern Europe.

How would that not result in competition over Eastern Europe? Now combine that with several of those states being former constituent parts of the USSR, a long history of Russian imperialism, plus Russian settlers in these states, and it's hard to imagine a Russia which would not push hard to make its influence felt in these states. I simply can't believe Russian attitudes could change so rapidly. Like, has any country ever remade itself politically and ideologically to such a degree, in such a short time? The loving Nazis remained an influence in Germany for decades after they got trounced by the Allies, so how could one believe Russian imperialism had truly been abandoned within just a few years? Hell, you said it yourself in regards to Ukraine; just because the current government believes one thing does not mean the next one won't believe something completely different! Like Yeltsin being replaced by Vladimir 'The collapse of the USSR was the greatest geopolitical tragedy of the 20th century' Putin.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Majorian posted:

But I'm not arguing for Ukraine to be left at Russia's mercy. I'm arguing for Ukraine to be neutral.

I've mostly been reading this from the sidelines but I fail to see how neutrality backed up by threats from a stronger neighbour if the situation changes is actually neutrality and not, say, being that stronger country's bitch? Neutrality seems to be from a position of self interest complete with an internal ability to enforce it, as opposed to something like what you're advocating, which is "Stay 'neutral' and we won't invade an annex everything."

The Swiss and Swedes are Neutral in large part because of massive degrees of internal cohesion, if the Swiss were neutral because they second they hinted that maybe they indicated anything else a neighbour would steamroll in and destabilize them then they're not neutral, they're a subservient puppet.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Majorian posted:

Which is why this is where NATO comes into play. Regardless of what Yatsenyuk ended up saying, when you have the Secretary-General of NATO saying that Ukraine's accession to NATO "remains an option," it's hardly surprising that Russia didn't see Ukraine as heading towards a neutral status.

Yes, Ukraine's accession to NATO does remain an option and to say anything but would be a lie. Too bad NATO voted against the Ukraine's MAP in 2008.

quote:

I think the Kremlin is counting on everything but Crimea still staying in Ukraine, thus making it impossible for Ukraine to join NATO anytime soon.

I agree with you that the Crimea question makes it impossible for Ukraine to join NATO. But that doesn't explain why Russia invaded mainland Ukraine in Aug 2014.

quote:

Prove it. Look at those articles I posted and tell me where they're wrong.

e: Also, "the" powder keg? You just quoted a sentence where I said NATO wasn't the only factor.

There are academic journals that specialize in foreign relations, perhaps you should look there for critiques of offensive realism. I don't care about what link you can Google up. I care about the arguments that you can make on this form. I am not going to dive around in academic journals. If you want to make an argument you can make it right here.

In regards to "the" powder keg break down the powder keg by percent for me.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Majorian posted:

Here's where you're wrong: you mistakenly assume that realist analyses seek to justify anything. Political scientists aren't interested in justifying things. They're interested in explaining things.

It's not explanatory because it can't predict things. If self-interest can be used to explain any action, then it has no value as an explanatory tool. And you're still avoiding the central criticism of the theory, which is that it, and you, are ignoring the domestic political dimension-much as you've not addressed any posts by myself or others that raise it as an issue. To the extent that you address it, you do so by dismissing its relevance, or saying that it is sufficient that we should treat domestic political rhetoric as identical to government perceptions of international affairs.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Well, let's consider the facts, partially as you've presented them:

- Russia views itself as a great power.
- Great powers demand spheres of influence.
- The West really wanted to make money in Eastern Europe.

I actually don't think that Great Powers demand spheres of influence as they seek security. While there you are right that there was always going to be some competition for Eastern Europe, it didn't have to be military in nature, and that obviously is an important distinction.

quote:

Now combine that with several of those states being former constituent parts of the USSR, a long history of Russian imperialism, plus Russian settlers in these states, and it's hard to imagine a Russia which would not push hard to make its influence felt in these states. I simply can't believe Russian attitudes could change so rapidly.

They haven't changed that much at all-that's central to my point though. Russian imperialism isn't driven by a single-minded obsession with conquest, but by fear of being left vulnerable to yet another invasion.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The match is over. Damnit, that was painful to watch. Congrats to the US team on winning the World Basketball Championship. You broke up Yugoslavia because you kept losing from that team, didn't you. Well played, well deserved. Next time, next time you'll see. You'll all see...

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
"OH poo poo! what happened in Ukraine?" (clicks link) "Oh, this again...."

Majorian, you made your point pages and pages ago. Not strangely, most people in this thread seem to disagree. Continuously restating and rehashing your reasons for holding this position with every new development is tiresome. You are making GBS threads up the thread.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

karthun posted:

Yes, Ukraine's accession to NATO does remain an option and to say anything but would be a lie. Too bad NATO voted against the Ukraine's MAP in 2008.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make-that by doing so NATO signaled to Russia that Ukraine's accession was off the table forever and ever?

quote:

I agree with you that the Crimea question makes it impossible for Ukraine to join NATO. But that doesn't explain why Russia invaded mainland Ukraine in Aug 2014.

It's not supposed to explain that.:confused:

quote:

There are academic journals that specialize in foreign relations, perhaps you should look there for critiques of offensive realism.

No, you said my argument was bullshit; now you have to tell me how my evidence doesn't support my argument. By the way, the articles from the Arms Control Association, a highly reputed nonprofit, and Princeton have nothing to with Offensive Realism.

quote:

In regards to "the" powder keg break down the powder keg by percent for me.

Really, dude? Just admit that you don't have a good response.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I've mostly been reading this from the sidelines but I fail to see how neutrality backed up by threats from a stronger neighbour if the situation changes is actually neutrality and not, say, being that stronger country's bitch? Neutrality seems to be from a position of self interest complete with an internal ability to enforce it, as opposed to something like what you're advocating, which is "Stay 'neutral' and we won't invade an annex everything."

The Swiss and Swedes are Neutral in large part because of massive degrees of internal cohesion, if the Swiss were neutral because they second they hinted that maybe they indicated anything else a neighbour would steamroll in and destabilize them then they're not neutral, they're a subservient puppet.

Well that's what the Finns were, in any case

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

bird cooch posted:

Majorian... You are making GBS threads up the thread.
No, he is not. He's making a point and arguing it. I disagree with him but I went to school to get an International Politics degree so all of his bullshit about realism and such was drilled into my head for four years. The only ones making GBS threads up the thread are those who can't bear to see anyone, anyone at all deviate from the thread consensus.

I'd much rather have a hundred of his posts than ten more posts of "hurr, hurr homonazis" drivel.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

It's not explanatory because it can't predict things. If self-interest can be used to explain any action, then it has no value as an explanatory tool.

That's a ridiculous statement. All political science schools of thought acknowledge that self interest plays a role in how states behave. Moreover, nobody is arguing that self-interest alone can explain how states behave. That's a ridiculously broad argument.

quote:

And you're still avoiding the central criticism of the theory, which is that it, and you, are ignoring the domestic political dimension-

I've actually acknowledged that Putin has domestic incentives for invading Ukraine. It's kind of funny that you should accuse me of ignoring posts when you can't be bothered to read mine.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Cliff Racer posted:

No, he is not. He's making a point and arguing it. I disagree with him but I went to school to get an International Politics degree so all of his bullshit about realism and such was drilled into my head for four years. The only ones making GBS threads up the thread are those who can't bear to see anyone, anyone at all deviate from the thread consensus.

Yes, he is. its to the point where he is referencing his earlier point to thread newcomers. No one is left from the beginning other than majorian. I understand his stated position, but at this point it is all encompassing to the point of irrelevance. The conversation has been had and now people are just taking swats at him as he passes. I also do not share the threads consensus that all of Ukrane = good guys and putin = hitler but arguing nuance over the internet is folly. Majorian wants to have a sterile argument in a vacuum that is not going to exist in this thread. Thus, contaminating page after page in defense of a point that doesn't exist in the real world. He agrees that Russia is the aggressor, but placing blame for the environment that led up to the current conflict is best left to historical analysis once the blood has cooled. Not playing whack-a-mole with every poster who comes into the thread.

Cliff Racer posted:

I'd much rather have a hundred of his posts than ten more posts of "hurr, hurr homonazis" drivel.

And you do! Pages and pages of him saying the same thing with variation.

*edited to add quote.

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 14, 2014

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Majorian posted:

I actually don't think that Great Powers demand spheres of influence as they seek security. While there you are right that there was always going to be some competition for Eastern Europe, it didn't have to be military in nature, and that obviously is an important distinction.
Russia's military is its greatest strength though, and it's going to have a hard time competing with the EU as a whole, so I kinda doubt the kind of people who happily robbed their own country blind would not use military force to protect their interests. (Like, say, in Ukraine.)

Majorian posted:

They haven't changed that much at all-that's central to my point though. Russian imperialism isn't driven by a single-minded obsession with conquest, but by fear of being left vulnerable to yet another invasion.
Russia not moving away from a historic obsession with controlling as much territory to its west as possible, as a buffer against potential aggression, is a pretty good argument for why NATO was right to expand east. The alternative was waiting for Russia to decide that it needed to more securely control the buffer until NATO reacted to Russian aggression and we ended up in the same situation as today except with millions of people subjugated to Russia again instead of under the aegis of NATO.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Majorian posted:

That's a ridiculous statement. All political science schools of thought acknowledge that self interest plays a role in how states behave. Moreover, nobody is arguing that self-interest alone can explain how states behave. That's a ridiculously broad argument.

It is, which is why you've presented a number of variations of it all thread long. That said, the problem is not its breadth, but its unfalsifiability.

Majorian posted:

I've actually acknowledged that Putin has domestic incentives for invading Ukraine. It's kind of funny that you should accuse me of ignoring posts when you can't be bothered to read mine.

Your discussion of that, after having it pointed out to you for pages, has been to say "ok, it's a thing, but never mind that, it's insignificant, btw NATO is partially to blame for antagonizing Russia". There is nothing that will not antagonize Russia if anything anyone does can be constructed as a threat. By incorporating everything into Russian perceptions of threat, by blending domestic rhetoric with actual perceptions of self-interest, your claims about Western antagonism consume all other explanations. Like I and others have said in all those posts you don't actually respond to.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 14, 2014

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Russia's military is its greatest strength though, and it's going to have a hard time competing with the EU as a whole, so I kinda doubt the kind of people who happily robbed their own country blind would not use military force to protect their interests. (Like, say, in Ukraine.)

Given how much Ukraine has relied upon Russia for its energy needs, I think it's reasonable to imagine that Russia would have had at least some advantages in Ukrainian markets. Plus, even if we do assume that the Russian military would have gotten involved sooner or later, I think it's safe to assume that it wouldn't have happened as quickly, or as virulently, as it has without NATO expansion.

quote:

Russia not moving away from a historic obsession with controlling as much territory to its west as possible, as a buffer against potential aggression, is a pretty good argument for why NATO was right to expand east.

But where did that obsession manifest itself in the 90's? It seems to me that Russia was, for the most part, trying to play by the West's rules.

Discendo Vox posted:

It is, which is why you've presented a number of variations of it all thread long.

This is just further proof that you don't read my posts. The most basic version of my argument is that Russia, like all states, is partially motivated by security interests, and felt threatened by NATO's eastward expansion. That in and of itself is more complicated than just "states are motivated by self-interest."

quote:

Your discussion of that, after having it pointed out to you for pages,

Let me stop you there - when did I deny that domestic factors played a part? When did I even remotely suggest that they didn't play a role?

quote:

There is nothing that will not antagonize Russia if anything anyone does can be constructed as a threat.

I've already given an option that NATO has that I believe would not be construed as a threat. Also, you keep saying that I've ignored points that you've made. Where, exactly, did this happen?

Oh quit whining. First of all, there are plenty of people who were involved in the original discussion, including Discendo Vox, A Buttery Pastry, karthun, and Lucy Heartfilia. Secondly, this is the issue at the heart of this entire topic: why Russia behaves as it does, and what the West can do to stop it and save as many Ukrainian lives as possible.

Even so, now that I'm home and not on my phone, I'm going to make a new thread to continue this subtopic.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 14, 2014

Horns of Hattin
Dec 21, 2011

Majorian posted:

The most basic version of my argument is that Russia, like all states, is partially motivated by security interests, and felt threatened by NATO's eastward expansion.

Ungh, you're so close... :negative:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

If it means he stops posting it here, so much the better.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Majorian posted:

Even so, now that I'm home and not on my phone, I'm going to make a new thread to continue this subtopic.

Put it in LF.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Majorian posted:

Given how much Ukraine has relied upon Russia for its energy needs, I think it's reasonable to imagine that Russia would have had at least some advantages in Ukrainian markets. Plus, even if we do assume that the Russian military would have gotten involved sooner or later, I think it's safe to assume that it wouldn't have happened as quickly, or as virulently, as it has without NATO expansion.
The EU, by simply starting preliminary talks with Ukraine, helped trigger what Russia saw as a major crisis, simply because the (supposed) values of the EU looked really loving good to a lot of Ukrainians. The Russian brand simply isn't worth jack poo poo to a lot of people in Eastern Europe, and neither is what the Russians are selling, apart from gas. Which the Russians are happy to use as leverage, making everyone wish they didn't have to deal with them. Without a real introspective, and major reforms, Russia simply doesn't have enough carrot to go around, so it's left with the stick.

Majorian posted:

But where did that obsession manifest itself in the 90's? It seems to me that Russia was, for the most part, trying to play by the West's rules.
Maybe it didn't manifest itself because Russia's leader was a drunken idiot, and everyone else was focusing on internal matters, such as looting the country and trying to grab as much political power as possible?

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Majorian posted:

And neutrality, which the Russians feel the US violated by pushing NATO accession, promoting the Orange Revolution, etc.

A guarantee of neutrality is completely worthless if the guaranteed nation can be immediately steamrolled, whenever a stronger nation "feels" that someone else violated it. Aggressive states have a nasty tendency of feeling threatened whenever it's convenient to them.

Your analysis is dishonest, because you just assumed Russia feels threatened and handwaved every argument that stated otherwise. You even agreed their fears may be baseless, but they are afraid anyway, so welp, there is no choice but to yield. There are, however, very good reasons to think that this "fear" is just rhetorics they use to rationalize their aggressive politics. You just refuse to admit this could be a valid answer, because reasons.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I'm just going to point out that Yugoslavia's neutrality after WW2 was only guaranteed by having enough tanks and veteran troops for Tito to be able to tell Stalin to gently caress off.

How many tanks and veteran troops does Ukraine have, in comparison to Russia?

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Pycckuu posted:

Another brilliant policy by Vladimir Putin, our fearless leader. Even a fool knows more people will come to vote in local elections if there is a chance to see some naked babes. More boobs means more democracy!

Perhaps the people of Ferguson should try something like this?

With 20 % turnout for elections, something is needed to get them to show up.

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/election-day-illustrates-firmer-kremlin-grip/507028.html

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

My primary contempt for NATO-chat is that it constructs a grand, decades long narrative of belligerence on behalf of the United States, featuring sexy details like military bases and the image of boots and planes around an encircled and threatened Russia (evocation; Napoleon, Nazis, Poles capturing Moscow if you're talking to an auteur) and in all this any actual detail or timeline of events of Maidan and trade agreements is absent or marginalized.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

my dad posted:

I'm just going to point out that Yugoslavia's neutrality after WW2 was only guaranteed by having enough tanks and veteran troops for Tito to be able to tell Stalin to gently caress off.

How many tanks and veteran troops does Ukraine have, in comparison to Russia?

What they'd really need is some mountains or jungles. Sadly for them all they have is flat farmlands, the least defensible type of land.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
All right, folks, my breakaway thread is here!

Discendo Vox posted:

If it means he stops posting it here, so much the better.

I look forward to seeing you in the new thread, so you can tell me exactly what points of yours I ignored. You never really got around to that, which is disappointing.:)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

That's all right, I'm one of many. I look forward to not posting in, and therefore not getting my arguments misconstrued and ignored in, your separatist thread.

vvvvv Nope! We tried for pages. I'm not interested in continuing the cycle. Enjoy your thread!

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 15, 2014

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

That's all right, I'm one of many. I look forward to not posting in, and therefore not getting my arguments misconstrued and ignored in, your separatist thread.

Which arguments did I misconstrue or ignore? You keep mentioning them, but I don't see them in your post history.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.

bird cooch posted:

Majorian, you made your point pages and pages ago. Not strangely, most people in this thread seem to disagree. Continuously restating and rehashing your reasons for holding this position with every new development is tiresome. You are making GBS threads up the thread.

You can't poo poo up something that's made out of poo poo to begin with. No one in this thread has any problems with posters continuously restating stuff about HOMONAZIS and invectives about Russia. Either this is a topic of debate and discussion or it's a hugbox for people to say angry words about Vlad Putin. I would recommend checking kalstrams' post history if people need an example of how you can talk about the invasion of Ukraine without being a pointless white noise poster.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Maarek posted:

You can't poo poo up something that's made out of poo poo to begin with. No one in this thread has any problems with posters continuously restating stuff about HOMONAZIS and invectives about Russia. Either this is a topic of debate and discussion or it's a hugbox for people to say angry words about Vlad Putin. I would recommend checking kalstrams' post history if people need an example of how you can talk about the invasion of Ukraine without being a pointless white noise poster.

To be honest I don't think there are any particularly good places online for in-depth discussion of the crisis. /r/ukrainianconflict is much much better for keeping up with the actual news if only because Reddit's posting system means each event gets its own thread and week-long derails are basically impossible, the mods there are also reasonably proactive unlike this thread.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

BBC article about NATO members shipping arms to Ukraine.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-29198497

quote:

Nato countries have started delivering arms to Ukraine to help its soldiers fight pro-Russian separatists in the east, the defence minister says.

Valery Heletey did not give details of the weapons being delivered or name the countries involved.

A similar statement earlier was denied by five Nato members, including the US.

Ukraine's prime minister says Nato is the "only vehicle" to protect the country from Russia, which he and the West accuse of intervening in the east.

Moscow has denied sending troops to help pro-Russian rebels who have been engaged in heavy fighting with government forces in the Donetsk and Luhansk regions since April.

At least some 2,600 people have been killed in five months of conflict.

A fragile ceasefire has been in place since 5 September, despite recent outbreaks of violence around key flashpoints such as Donetsk airport.

No lethal assistance
Mr Heletey told reporters on Sunday that he had discussed weapons deliveries in bilateral meetings with Nato defence ministers during a Nato summit in Wales earlier this month.

"I have no right to disclose any specific country we reached that agreement with. But the fact is that those weapons are already on the way to us - that's absolutely true, I can officially tell you," he said in remarks quoted by Ukraine's Unian news agency.

While the issue of restoring Ukraine's nuclear arsenal was not on the agenda, Mr Heletey said it would not be ruled out in future.

Nato officials say they have no plans to send lethal assistance to non-Nato member Ukraine, but that members states may do so.

But defence officials in Italy, Poland and Norway have all denied plans to provide any weapons.

On Saturday, Ukrainian Prime Minister Arseniy Yatsenyuk accused Russia of wanting to "eliminate his country," saying it was the "key aggressor" in the conflict.

Nato says Russia still has about 1,000 heavily armed troops in eastern Ukraine and about 20,000 more near the border.

But Russia denies sending direct military help to the rebels, insisting that any Russian soldiers there are "volunteers".

Nato has announced the formation of a new "spearhead" force numbering several thousand troops, which can be deployed anywhere in the world in a matter of days.

It followed growing concern from Nato member countries bordering Russia over its involvement in Ukraine.

Zohar posted:

To be honest I don't think there are any particularly good places online for in-depth discussion of the crisis. /r/ukrainianconflict is much much better for keeping up with the actual news if only because Reddit's posting system means each event gets its own thread and week-long derails are basically impossible, the mods there are also reasonably proactive unlike this thread.

I spent a good part of the morning looking for news and posting it in the thread, but it was buried by the constant "Ukraine can totally be neutral if it wants to be" nonsense. That same argument has been going on for DAYS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
There have been plenty of news, too: today most (all?) Ukrainian political parties released their parliamentary election lists.
Quite a few surprising choices. Weirdest of all: Timoshenko is #2 in her party, with number 1 being...
Nadejda Savchenko, the Ukrainian pilot that's being held by Russia after being captured in Luhansk and transferred
across border.

Also a couple of journalists have joined Poroshenko's list, some community activists, and, sadly, plenty of volunteer
armed group commanders in just about every party list.

Edit: also, 3 Ukrainian servicemen died defending the Donetsk airport today. Nice ceasefire...
Edit #2: there were also local elections in Russia (and occupied Crimea).

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Sep 15, 2014

• Locked thread