Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

With regards to Clara being off on 12 initially, that totally fits in with the events of the Day of the Doctor. She met the War Doctor and Ten and saw firsthand how different their personalities could be, despite technically being the same person. Then at the end of the episode when the Doctors were preparing to use the moment she had her little speech to Eleven about how she knew he'd done that, but had never pictured him doing it.

edit: McGann in Elevens console room https://mobile.twitter.com/pauljmcgann/status/443116279969644544/photo/1

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Even though that's clearly not Twelves console room I really hope we get an Eight and Twelve crossover episode this season or next.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm setting myself up for disappointment, but if I don't get a doctor crossover or a River Song appearance this year, I'm going to be sad.

I will openly cop to watching television badly.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

LividLiquid posted:

I'm setting myself up for disappointment, but if I don't get a doctor crossover or a River Song appearance this year, I'm going to be sad.

I will openly cop to watching television badly.

Get used to disappointment. I'm all but certain River's story ended with Name of the Doctor.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

LividLiquid posted:

I'm setting myself up for disappointment, but if I don't get a River Song appearance this year, I'm going to be sad.

This sentence should not exist.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I dunno, apparently thinking Listen is a great episode is watching Doctor Who badly, going by the general reactions of most people here.
But I haven't actually heard many non-nitpick criticisms, with the most legitimate gripe being the Doctor continually putting Clara down (that IS definitely a problem, although at the moment the Doctor is a tremendous rear end in a top hat). Well, also the army man is too loving on the nose, yeah.
But I reserve the right to think that anyone unhappy about there potentially not being a monster in Listen, or convinced there was one, is a gigantic crankypants. :colbert:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

This thread is blowing me away.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

LividLiquid posted:

Yes, and I had no problem with that one. It wasn't directed at Clara specifically, wasn't gendered, and didn't attack her looks as if they were important.

Oh, so you'd have no issue if he said the things he said to Clara to a white cismale, eh? :rolleyes:

moths posted:

The Doctor really needs to stop negging her, though. It's that 11 crush living on (Oh you don't see me an that hurts so badly :cry:) getting manifested as this creepy PUA trash.

Everyone who keeps saying the Doctor is "negging" her--you realize you're basically saying that the Doctor has a secret crush on her and you're no better then the sqeeing fans who bemoan the lack of a young, cute Doctor in love with his companion, right? There is nothing Moffat or Capaldi have said which even remotely indicates that the Doctor is secretly trying to woo Clara because he's still in love with her, or that such will become a plot point later on. In fact, they have said it's exactly the opposite.

PoshAlligator posted:

I just finished it myself! Well, a few days ago, but it takes me a while to get my thoughts together sometimes. I agree with a lot of what you've said, though expanded War Doctor stuff is obviously really hard.

Here is my "review" though!:

Engines of War
by George Mann

The problems for me come when looking deeper at this “marriage” of elements. For the most part this is all Engines of War is. There is hardly any in between. The Doctor, despite his claims to the contrary throughout the early part of the book, still acts and feels like the Doctor. He is even referred to as the Doctor by numerous people. The ruse quickly falls apart for the reader, and it quickly becomes apparent the Doctor is only fooling himself. But heck, maybe he was. He’s definitely more hard-line than other Doctors, but it’s hard to imagine them not being so when put in similar situations. There’s only one exception towards the end, and it’s pretty good, but I would have liked to have seen more of that sort of thing – to be made to feel uncomfortable about this man who doesn’t deserve the Doctor, doing things the Doctor would never conceivably do. But it doesn’t really happen.

But does it really?

There are also a noticeable amount of typos in this book. There also some bits of heavy exposition that are a bit grating. It really feels like the BBC didn’t really care too much about this book. It could have been edited a bit more, and the focus of the book is just a bit lacking. Mann seems like a good writer, and a lot of this novel feels really nice. But at times I can’t help but feel Mann is doing in his best without being given much, if any, direction as to how things should play out, what the War Doctor was like, what Time War conflicts were like, and is doing the best he can with that. And with that, he does a great job.

Engines of War is a fine book. It’s a great read, in fact. If you want more of the War Doctor, then, well, here he is. He’s grumpy with a sparkle in his eye, flying about in his badass TARDIS that has a ceiling that shows space around him. Mann captures the essence of Hurt really, really well in fact, and it’s one of the high points of this novel for me. But that’s all it really is. It’s just more of the War Doctor. It’s easy to guess what the conclusion will be early on, and when it does come it’s very solid and satisfying. But it doesn’t really add much to anything. Don’t get me wrong, it adds a bit, and it’s nice that it does. But overall, it’s just more of the War Doctor. But you know what? That’s not a bad thing at all.

I do disagree with you there. I think it precisely because the War Doctor is very much still The Doctor that he shines. It really is the Doctor fooling himself and I'm glad we didn't see a harder edged Doctor. It just worked better for me personally that way. I also think the descriptions of the Time War across the ages, the Battle TARDISes, the Skaro Degradations, and [spoiler]Rassilon[/i] himself were exactly what I imagined the Time War to be. In that sense it fills in a nice gap.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Astroman posted:

Oh, so you'd have no issue if he said the things he said to Clara to a white cismale, eh? :rolleyes:

If he was a preening pretty-boy with a three sided mirror? Yeah, I'd have no issue with that. And I bet you wouldn't either... :rolleyes:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

It was a great episode. The first couple episodes this year were a little shaky, everything looked kind of cheap and they seemed far too concerned with telling us "he's still the Doctor, really". The plot was a little convoluted and the pacing was odd, but that is exactly the sort of thing I expect from a show about an eccentric time traveller.

nuzak posted:

When the doctor wears a dark shirt and the camera's on his top half, you can't really see the more idiosyncratic elements of his costume (boots/the red lining) and he just looks like some guy in smart casual :(

He doesn't need an eccentric costume. He has eyebrows.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Astroman posted:

Everyone who keeps saying the Doctor is "negging" her--you realize you're basically saying that the Doctor has a secret crush on her and you're no better then the sqeeing fans who bemoan the lack of a young, cute Doctor in love with his companion, right? There is nothing Moffat or Capaldi have said which even remotely indicates that the Doctor is secretly trying to woo Clara because he's still in love with her, or that such will become a plot point later on. In fact, they have said it's exactly the opposite.

How did you manage to read around where 12's about to cry with that "you can't see me" bit? It was telegraphed so loving hard.

I don't care if he does or doesn't have some stupid crush on Clara, but I want it to either be there or not. He keeps interrupting her date, being nosy about it, and gets nasty when the subject is another guy.

It's just like this episode. Maybe there's a ghost, maybe there's a world of ghosts, but then we're told it's all nothing? It's poo poo bad lazy writing trying to have it both ways.

moths fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Sep 15, 2014

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I can't believe nobody posted this one yet! (not mine)

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Angela Christine posted:

He doesn't need an eccentric costume. He has eyebrows.

Just like Nine didn't need an eccentric costume because he had ears.

:allears:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Angela Christine posted:

I can't believe nobody posted this one yet! (not mine)

Oh my. :allears:

The thing that bugs me about "letting the audience decide if there was a monster or not and whether anything showed up at the end of the universe" is that I'm pretty sure if there is/was something, we'll see it. Just like we saw the Doctor's Greatest Fear, we found out what happened to Gallifrey-- Moffat seems to be unable to let stuff like that just be and actually let the viewer decide for themselves or let it be a mystery.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

Potsticker posted:

Oh my. :allears:

The thing that bugs me about "letting the audience decide if there was a monster or not and whether anything showed up at the end of the universe"

Is that really what this episode was doing? They didn't even bother to give a techobabble explanation about why that door would have unlocked on its own.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

Is that really what this episode was doing? They didn't even bother to give a techobabble explanation about why that door would have unlocked on its own.

The Doctor unlocked it with his screwdriver. That's not a plausible explanation, that's what actually happens on screen.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

That was rather vaguely covered by the Doctor unlocking the door. I can understand how you could miss the subtly of it. You know, the bit where the Doctor unlocked the door.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Spatula City posted:

I dunno, apparently thinking Listen is a great episode is watching Doctor Who badly, going by the general reactions of most people here.

Nobody said anybody else was watching Doctor Who badly or the wrong way and if they did you can safely disregard what they have to say. :colbert:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Spatula City posted:

The general reactions seemed pretty positive though?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It was certainly better than that fetid poo poo last week.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

Android Blues posted:

The Doctor unlocked it with his screwdriver. That's not a plausible explanation, that's what actually happens on screen.

I should have said "opened", not unlocked, but you probably knew what I meant. I still remembered the technobabble part wrong though - the Doctor does say that the outside pressure from the air shell could be what's tricking the door controls into opening, and then the door opens and the air shell is gone.

Shugojin posted:

People said SOMETHING BROKE THE AIR SHIELD but that doesn't have to be the case. Maybe it was broken all along

The air shield being intact and providing pressure is the only explanation the Doctor gives for the door opening. It could just be shoddy writing, but that's not a good explanation for anything.

SNAKES N CAKES fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Sep 15, 2014

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I think the biggest problem is a few things that don't fit.

It's pretty good that there is a plausible explanation for everything but the bed critter's face. People said SOMETHING BROKE THE AIR SHIELD but that doesn't have to be the case. Maybe it was broken all along and Orson's note was a reminder to himself not to commit suicide in the vacuum at night.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Shugojin posted:

It's pretty good that there is a plausible explanation for everything but the bed critter's face.

I feel like an idiot for never even considering the one option somebody bought up earlier that maybe the kid trying to spook Rupert (and his two weird adult friends oh poo poo what have I walked into how do I get out of this oh wait the Scottish dude is giving me an out!) might have been wearing a fright mask in order to freak out Rupert if he had the guts to pull the sheet away.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

howe_sam posted:

Was it on Gallifrey though? Clara said they were in the same barn the Doctor used to "detonate" the Moment, and I did not get the impression that took place on Gallifrey.

On the other hand why the gently caress wouldn't it be on Gallifrey since that's where the Doctor grew up.

It could be a neighboring planet; if you're going to lock away an entire planet it's probably a good idea to not be standing on it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

computer parts posted:

It could be a neighboring planet; if you're going to lock away an entire planet it's probably a good idea to not be standing on it.

The War Doctor was originally planning to go down with everybody else, he never expected to survive whatever it was The Moment unleashed.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

I feel like an idiot for never even considering the one option somebody bought up earlier that maybe the kid trying to spook Rupert (and his two weird adult friends oh poo poo what have I walked into how do I get out of this oh wait the Scottish dude is giving me an out!) might have been wearing a fright mask in order to freak out Rupert if he had the guts to pull the sheet away.

Yeah, I never thought of that but it's actually incredibly plausible. It's not like those things are rare or hard to get, kids wear them for Halloween all the time.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Shugojin posted:

It's pretty good that there is a plausible explanation for everything but the bed critter's face. People said SOMETHING BROKE THE AIR SHIELD but that doesn't have to be the case. Maybe it was broken all along and Orson's note was a reminder to himself not to commit suicide in the vacuum at night.
That's possible. I can imagine that the actual end of the universe could have unpredictable effects on an air shield. Also the idea that someone who's been completely and utterly alone for 6 months could go a little nuts is hardly unlikely, and that would fit into the loneliness theme.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
I liked that episode. At least I think I did, kind of confused to be honest. I think I will have to watch it again. Makes me feel a little stupid having to watch certain episodes more then once to get a good idea of whats going on, maybe my brain is getting old.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Darth Freddy posted:

I liked that episode. At least I think I did, kind of confused to be honest. I think I will have to watch it again. Makes me feel a little stupid having to watch certain episodes more then once to get a good idea of whats going on, maybe my brain is getting old.

I'm in the same boat, but it's not out of confusion over the episode. It just did some things that might have a different kneejerk response than a reasoned analysis. Reflexively, I feel like that big part at the end wasn't a good move, or at least could've been done better, but it might be worth coming back to after ome thought and digestion.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
I'm kind of surprised this Doctor didn't get a new Sonic Screwdriver with a different color, I would have thought they would keep the theme going.

As for if there were really a monster or not, Rupert mentioned that nobody had come into the room when he was under the bed with Clara when the Thing/Child got in it. So maybe it was real, maybe it was a kid hiding in his room the entire day just to be a dick for that one moment, only to have it ruined by the strange adults that were suddenly in there. :shrug:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

computer parts posted:

In Day of the Doctor, I reasoned it was a nearby planet because the clear blue skies were suspiciously free of the aerial bombardment by Dalek forces that was supposedly going on at the same time.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, it didn't look nearly wartorn enough in Day of the Doctor to be Gallifrey proper - it looked like some obscure place the Doctor had flitted off to after stealing the Moment. The Time Lords were/are very powerful, they probably had an empire spanning multiple planets, or at very least a boarding school retreat on some distant moon.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Cliff Racer posted:

Why on earth would any of you guys want Blake's 7 remade anyway? You do realize that they'd ruin it, right? Be grateful for the two great and two okay seasons you got out of it which had consistent tone and characters, things that would never survive in a modern revival.

Never said that I wanted it remade -- just that Awesome Orson put me immediately in mind of Blake.

Anyway, the only one who could fill Paul Darrow's studded leather Doc Ms is Mark Heap, and he's already been down that road.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Ms Boods posted:

Never said that I wanted it remade -- just that Awesome Orson put me immediately in mind of Blake.

Anyway, the only one who could fill Paul Darrow's studded leather Doc Ms is Mark Heap, and he's already been down that road.

Mark Heap might make a good Vila, but Avon? I'm not seeing that at all.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
This episode did Ambiguity well, which is a pretty loathed concept in TV since Lost and not often done well in Dr Who, so kudos to Moffat for that.

Also for his surprisingly Blink/9th-era treatment of female characters. It's kind of weird how many people are suddenly on the gender battle traction over the stupidest of things, this is some of his best poo poo since forever.

Pizdec fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Sep 15, 2014

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tamayachi posted:

I'm kind of surprised this Doctor didn't get a new Sonic Screwdriver with a different color, I would have thought they would keep the theme going.

As for if there were really a monster or not, Rupert mentioned that nobody had come into the room when he was under the bed with Clara when the Thing/Child got in it. So maybe it was real, maybe it was a kid hiding in his room the entire day just to be a dick for that one moment, only to have it ruined by the strange adults that were suddenly in there. :shrug:

Or Rupert was a normal kid paying attention to the crazy lady that showed up in the middle of the night, and just didn't notice some other kid sneaking in. It seems really unlikely, but not quite impossible, that it could have been another kid. It seems really unlikely, but not impossible, that the Doctor absentmindedly wrote "LISTEN" on his own chalkboard without noticing. You can't be sure if there is really something there, or everyone is just over-reacting and spooking themselves; which is the formula for most good ghost stories.

Eleven totally would have ripped off that blanket and looked though.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Spatula City posted:

But I haven't actually heard many non-nitpick criticisms, with the most legitimate gripe being the Doctor continually putting Clara down (that IS definitely a problem, although at the moment the Doctor is a tremendous rear end in a top hat). Well, also the army man is too loving on the nose, yeah.
But I reserve the right to think that anyone unhappy about there potentially not being a monster in Listen, or convinced there was one, is a gigantic crankypants. :colbert:

Pretty much the overall thing I am seeing on here (and on other sites) are people are pretty much split 50/50 between liking it and disliking it. It's very far from a general reaction of most people here to dislike the episode.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

In Day of the Doctor, I reasoned it was a nearby planet because the clear blue skies were suspiciously free of the aerial bombardment by Dalek forces that was supposedly going on at the same time.

And Gallifrey's sky is orange anyway.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
If they cast a woman as this Doctor would all this talk of insults still happen? It's not like he doesn't needle Clara all the drat time, anyhow. She's having a date night which often heightens vain behaviors, so his usual jabs take on the twist of insulting her vanity.

If you want to say he verbally assaults her, fine, but he's been doing it in almost every episode. And if you take the season as a whole, there's been a lot of back and forth. In Deep Breath, it felt like he basically sees her as a poo poo companion wanting to sleep with Time Lord rear end because she has difficulties with him being so old in appearance. In the Dalek episode, she refers to herself as the Doctor's caregiver of all things, and he snipes back that "she cares so I don't have to." And in Robots Of Sherwood, Clara effectively calls the Doctor (and Robin Hood) a useless hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

If you want to say he verbally assaults her, fine, but he's been doing it in almost every episode.

Indeed.

• Locked thread