Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Mortimer posted:

Serious chat: Delve decks don't exist and probably won't exist. Every deck is going to run 1-2 delve cards to use the graveyard as a previously untapped resource.

I haven't read any pros talking about that card, I would argue the "murder + delve" card is better.
I did not say delve deck. I said "deck that wants 1 powerful delve card". :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Deviant posted:

As someone new to limited and recently rejoining mtg in general, what clan would you recommend for the Khans prerelease?

Temur. Make Bears. Swing with Bears. :black101:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Deviant posted:

As someone new to limited and recently rejoining mtg in general, what clan would you recommend for the Khans prerelease?

Sultai. Because killing things helps you kill more things, which helps you kill more things, and then you win.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Deviant posted:

Whichever one looks the most fun to you.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Meanwhile at the SCG open, semis involved a UG infect mirror where both players had a spellskite.

Extremely silly.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Mardu. You just play creatures and attack with them.

neetengie posted:

Abzan. You have a longer game plan and you can use the only good Mardu cards

Ramos posted:

Jeskai, you kick people in the face.

Cernunnos posted:

Temur. Make Bears. Swing with Bears. :black101:

Zorak posted:

Sultai. Because killing things helps you kill more things, which helps you kill more things, and then you win.

Nice, one by one.

I'm probably going with Temur or Abzan. I really want Sultai to be good, but it feels like it lacks the synergy of other clans - and most of its good cards are easily splashable.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
I'm going with temur but only because I really want to play izzet for some reason and jeskai sucks. Punching bears sounds fun too

My second pick would be mardu

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I was gonna go Mardu since I wanted speed.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Elyv posted:

Whichever one looks the most fun to you.

Yah, this is the right answer. I honestly don't think that being new to limited, or to Magic, would factor much in deciding which clan to go with. Prowess is probably the toughest clan keyword to play correctly with less experience, but that's not really what the prerelease is about. The more important question is, what do you enjoy doing in a game of Magic? If you want to play a ton of guys, go Abzan, if you want to play a few big guys, go Temur. Sultai is all about the graveyard, Mardu just wants to beat down, and Jeskai seems to be about trickery, mostly? I feel like Jeskai is the toughest to pin down with just a short phrase, although to be honest I haven't looked that closely at the completed spoiler.

I'll probably go Mardu because I tend to do the best when I end up with a beatdown deck. I like the idea of playing a slow grindy deck, but I'm much better at playing aggro decks, so I'll probably give that a try this time.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
I was always going to go with a UG clan but since Temur is all about punching with huge men I'm gunning for that :black101:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I'm going to multiple prereleases, but I think Jeskai is bestai. Mardu looks to be by far the strongest clan, though.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I'm playing 4 events and the only clan I'm not doing is Temur, and that's because Sultai is best, Jeskai has some sweet cards, and Mardu/Abzan look like they're the strongest options.

The real answer is: play 5 colour morph.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

mehall posted:

I'm playing 4 events and the only clan I'm not doing is Temur, and that's because Sultai is best, Jeskai has some sweet cards, and Mardu/Abzan look like they're the strongest options.

The real answer is: play 5 colour morph.

Yep, the best thing to do is open all the fixing and then just play all the powerful spells. If you're playing more non-basics than basics you're doing something right.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Mardu is cool so I'm going for that, but also Helmsmasher should have the Ironclaw Curse, what with him being an orc and all.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I barely looked at the spoilers but I went Jeskai so that I can go WATAHHHH whenever I activate prowess.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Korak posted:

I did not say delve deck. I said "deck that wants 1 powerful delve card". :)

And I said the answer is no, that card sucks hard :) :) :)

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

The balance between the factions looks really solid from seeing the pre-pre-release- Mardu can go aggressive effectively, sultai can get great value, Jeskai has evasion and burn, Abzan can stall for days, and Temur can punch faces. Even in sealed the different clans had their feel down solidly.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Haha, Brad Nelson lost in the finals of the Legacy Open playing U/G Infect against Miracles. He had his opponent at 9 Infect in Game 3.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

qbert posted:

Haha, Brad Nelson lost in the finals of the Legacy Open playing U/G Infect against Miracles. He had his opponent at 9 Infect in Game 3.

I started out wanting him to win, then I had to watch an hour and a half of his constant hand shuffling and decided I actually wanted Miracles to win. I feel so dirty.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

I started out wanting him to win, then I had to watch an hour and a half of his constant hand shuffling and decided I actually wanted Miracles to win. I feel so dirty.

But Miracles is super sweet! How could you NOT want it to win?

DurdleDuck
Jul 17, 2013
Anybody watching the WMCQ finals? Going to game 3 at twitch.tv/cardtitan, MonoU vs Black midrange: fitting end to this standard format. (also my buddy Charles is playing)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

DurdleDuck posted:

Anybody watching the WMCQ finals? Going to game 3 at twitch.tv/cardtitan, MonoU vs Black midrange: fitting end to this standard format. (also my buddy Charles is playing)

Your buddy charles just hosed up in a way I can't figure out why he would do at all.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

L0cke17 posted:

Have you ever played 25 turns of draw-go with your opponent at 1 life because they have an answer to every single card you draw but can't actually kill you?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

Have you ever played 25 turns of draw-go with your opponent at 1 life because they have an answer to every single card you draw but can't actually kill you?

No, because I play Miracles which does the answering everything your opponents do and eventually just killing them. Last week at the local event I lived for 19 turns at 1 life, and bolted my Shardless BUG opponent down from 39 life with Keranos, interspersed with removing his men with Keranos. It was the best 35 minute game one ever!

Everyone knows that fun in magic is zero-sum, and the goal is to take as much of it for yourself and throw the rest away so your opponents get none.

DurdleDuck
Jul 17, 2013

Sickening posted:

Your buddy charles just hosed up in a way I can't figure out why he would do at all.

Really? What play?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

L0cke17 posted:

Everyone knows that fun in magic is zero-sum, and the goal is to take as much of it for yourself and throw the rest away so your opponents get none.

This is why Stax is the best deck ever, because it efficiently minimizes fun for everyone involved.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

The Lord of Hats posted:

This is why Stax is the best deck ever, because it efficiently minimizes fun for everyone involved.

Exactly! If I owned Sol lands and Ravages of War I would play that more often.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Man I loving love V4.

Spot the bug that makes my modern deck unplayable.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Count Bleck posted:

Man I loving love V4.

Can't see it.
e: If it is the no Ok button, can't you use the F4 key?

neetengie fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Sep 15, 2014

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
I dont see it.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Count Bleck posted:

Man I loving love V4.

I don't see a way to pass priority?

Edit: because your opponent needs to add the Spiritdancer trigger to the stack or something?

Also, what's up fellow blue tron player who's getting screwed by the game? I'm 5/3 in 2-mans. One I lost to accidentally clicking Condescend instead of Spell Burst. Oh well, that's my own dumb fault. One I lost because I clicked ok to search off of Trinket Mage. Nothing happened for 10 seconds so I clicked ok again. Then it decided to register both clicks and fail to find the Pithing Needle I needed to win. The last one, MODO crashed and took the 5 minutes I'd have needed to win. On top of that I wasted a good 3 minutes casting my opponent's spells and then canceling and adding the mana before casting because for some reason I can't cast their spells the same way I cast mine. :argh:

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

L0cke17 posted:

chi hoi yim is an incredible player and it is so great to see him winning.

So interesting commentary by a top MTGO grinder about the new set. He's talking about Mardu Heart-piercer the 3R 2/3 guy that has raid - shoot something for 2 damage. Since a lot of the morphs require 5 mana, it's very possible that you can use this to pick off something you bounced against during combat OR pick off an important morph card before they're able to activate since it's coming into play turn 4 ideally.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

L0cke17 posted:

This is the basically the goons.txt opinion of every game ever.

Dr. Strange M.D.
Oct 30, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

Man I loving love V4.

You mindslavered your opponent, but it won't let you put their triggers on the stack and gets stuck? That's my best guess.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

neetengie posted:

Can't see it.
e: If it is the no Ok button, can't you use the F4 key?

Pyronic posted:

I dont see it.

I'm in control of his turn, and thus, his triggers.

Kor Spiritdancer has a trigger that has to be put on the stack because I, as him, have placed an Aura on the battlefield, which draws a card. I have no window to do such a thing.
F7 doesn't work either. So basically what happens is I either concede the match or sit there for 25 minutes and then lose due to time.

suicidesteve posted:

I don't see a way to pass priority?

Edit: because your opponent needs to add the Spiritdancer trigger to the stack or something?

Also, what's up fellow blue tron player who's getting screwed by the game? I'm 5/3 in 2-mans. One I lost to accidentally clicking Condescend instead of Spell Burst. Oh well, that's my own dumb fault. One I lost because I clicked ok to search off of Trinket Mage. Nothing happened for 10 seconds so I clicked ok again. Then it decided to register both clicks and fail to find the Pithing Needle I needed to win. The last one, MODO crashed and took the 5 minutes I'd have needed to win. On top of that I wasted a good 3 minutes casting my opponent's spells and then canceling and adding the mana before casting because for some reason I can't cast their spells the same way I cast mine. :argh:

I casted Repeal for 0 earlier because the client lagged on me and thought I tapped F2 first, and then tapped my 2 mana to bounce his Delver. I learned that day that DFC'd cards have 0 CMC apparently?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Count Bleck posted:

Kor Spiritdancer has a trigger that has to be put on the stack because I, as him, have placed an Aura on the battlefield, which draws a card. I have no window to do such a thing.
F7 doesn't work either. So basically what happens is I either concede the match or sit there for 25 minutes and then lose due to time.

Jesus. It's not even like Mindslaver is an obscure or unplayed card so they don't have the excuse that they had for the Fatespinner bug or whatever (I'm dating myself with this reference).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Does Mardu have a running supply of magma to randomly pump through dragon remains?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Count Bleck posted:

I'm in control of his turn, and thus, his triggers.

I casted Repeal for 0 earlier because the client lagged on me and thought I tapped F2 first, and then tapped my 2 mana to bounce his Delver. I learned that day that DFC'd cards have 0 CMC apparently?

A transformed DFC card has no mana cost and therefore a CMC of 0, just like a face-down creature. A hilariously obscure consequence of this: what happens if you put Pendrell Flux on a transformed card? Its controller can't pay its mana cost, because it doesn't have a cost to pay, and so they have to sacrifice it.

vOv fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Sep 15, 2014

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Rinkles posted:

Does Mardu have a running supply of magma to randomly pump through dragon remains?

There are two answers.

A: It's a volcano shaped like a dragon.

B: They're actually dwarves from Dwarf Fortress, magma-based antics and all.

One of these answers is fun. The other is realistic.

I prefer the fun one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

ungulateman posted:

There are two answers.

A: It's a volcano shaped like a dragon.

B: They're actually dwarves from Dwarf Fortress, magma-based antics and all.

One of these answers is fun. The other is realistic.

I prefer the fun one.

why can't A be true because of B

Mardu best clan.

• Locked thread