Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I do really like the fact that there's such a crazy amount of promo cards for the new launch. Rather than just five where one is the best there's 40 and hopefully nobody knows what the gently caress is going on. I dunno, I actually want to have this thing called 'fun' at a prerelease and not worry about metagaming right out of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

No seriously what the gently caress. How is this acceptable?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

DurdleDuck posted:

Anybody watching the WMCQ finals? Going to game 3 at twitch.tv/cardtitan, MonoU vs Black midrange: fitting end to this standard format. (also my buddy Charles is playing)

Yeah my friend Will top 8'd, I'm so proud of him.

Also Alexander Hayne taking down azorius control like a god drat boss.

Edit: I was watching the Edmonton WMCQ

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Tracula posted:

I do really like the fact that there's such a crazy amount of promo cards for the new launch. Rather than just five where one is the best there's 40 and hopefully nobody knows what the gently caress is going on. I dunno, I actually want to have this thing called 'fun' at a prerelease and not worry about metagaming right out of the game.

I feel like metagaming the prerelease will always happen regardless. Whether it's the product of a particular color's promo being a comparatively huge bomb or the color's card pool as a whole, it seems like the internet and Magic community in general will pretty quickly come to a consensus on what the "best" prerelease box is to get. It spreads like wildfire, and I know personally every prerelease I've been to since I started back with RtR has been the same story of the chosen color selling out immediately, and then and handful of people having to settle for one of the other four.

Either way, like people with any sense can all agree on, it doesn't really matter and you should just pick what you think is thematically the coolest or whatever, but a lot of people try to take every inch they can get.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Count Bleck posted:

I'm in control of his turn, and thus, his triggers.

Kor Spiritdancer has a trigger that has to be put on the stack because I, as him, have placed an Aura on the battlefield, which draws a card. I have no window to do such a thing.
F7 doesn't work either. So basically what happens is I either concede the match or sit there for 25 minutes and then lose due to time.

I casted Repeal for 0 earlier because the client lagged on me and thought I tapped F2 first, and then tapped my 2 mana to bounce his Delver. I learned that day that DFC'd cards have 0 CMC apparently?
Dumb question but did you try going to the mtgo channel where most of the ORCs are and telling them mid-game what was happening? I have to imagine there is some kind of workaround, even if its an annoying one.

v4 is terrible but we all know this.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Count Bleck posted:

You know I admit I know basically nothing about MTGO but god does it look ugly and more like a freeware client than some freeware clients I've seen :v: And this is the service people put as much money into as they do on actual bits of cardboard, right?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Went 5-3 drop in the WMCQ today. Overall it was alot of fun, had the last hurrah of my BW midrange deck. I also had a hilariously brutal run early in the tournament. Win the first round, round 2 get paired against Gerard Fabiano, win, then get paired against Chris PakulaPikula, lost.

The game against Fabiano was kinda stressful though. Won game 1, then things were going pretty good game 2. As I drew for turn, my finger slipped or the cards got stuck together, and the second card got raised a bit as I drew. Immediately after that Gerard asks me if I saw the second card down. I thought for a bit, and said that I didn't get a good look at it but I saw the frame was black, so that was information I shouldn't know.

We call the judge over, and as he was explaining what happened, he says to the judge that since I didn't say anything until he asked me, that I was trying to hide it and "it was a pretty clear case of cheating." I was a bit dumbstruck at that point.

So, the judge calls us both away from the table to ask us what happened. I say pretty much what I said above, then Gerard goes for a talk, then we wait while the judge goes consult another judge. He comes back and basically says that he didn't think there was enough evidence for cheating, so I would get a warning for cards violation or something.

At that point Gerard asks to appeal to the head judge.

So, we get to sit staring at each other for a few more minutes. Eventually the head judge comes over and we both hash out what happened again, pretty much describing it the same way. He asks me a question about my cards which, since at that point i'm crazy flustered, I pretty much just stumble over my words before he decides to show mercy and get on with it. Head judge rules the same, I get a warning, shuffle up the deck, then a few turns later I ultimate Elspeth and kill Gerard. I thank him for the games, we shake hands and I wish him luck in the tournament.

So all in all, a pretty fun day! I got to beat Gerard Fabiano, got to lose to Pikula, and got a funny story out of it to tell. Also got a loving sweet Geist.

I prefer to believe that he wasn't trying to rules lawyer me and honestly thought I was trying to pull something. Sure that might not be the most likely thing in the world but I'd not seethe about it for the rest of the day. My friend took care of the wanting-to-punch-him-in-the-face department

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Sep 15, 2014

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Count Bleck posted:

Stop activating Mindslaver, hth

RME
Feb 20, 2012

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Stop playing modo, hth

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

A big flaming stink posted:

Went 5-3 drop in the WMCQ today. Overall it was alot of fun, had the last hurrah of my BW midrange deck. I also had a hilariously brutal run early in the tournament. Win the first round, round 2 get paired against Gerard Fabiano, win, then get paired against Chris Pakula, lost.

The game against Fabiano was kinda stressful though. Won game 1, then things were going pretty good game 2. As I drew for turn, my finger slipped or the cards got stuck together, and the second card got raised a bit as I drew. Immediately after that Gerard asks me if I saw the second card down. I thought for a bit, and said that I didn't get a good look at it but I saw the frame was black, so that was information I shouldn't know.

We call the judge over, and as he was explaining what happened, he says to the judge that since I didn't say anything until he asked me, that I was trying to hide it and "it was a pretty clear case of cheating." I was a bit dumbstruck at that point.

So, the judge calls us both away from the table to ask us what happened. I say pretty much what I said above, the Gerard goes for a talk, then we wait while the judge goes consult another judge. He comes back and basically says that he didn't think there was enough evidence for cheating, so I would get a warning for cards violation or something.

At that point Gerard asks to appeal to the head judge.

So, we get to sit staring at each other for a few more minutes. Eventually the head judge comes over and we both hash out what happened again, pretty much describing it the same way. He asks me a question about my cards which, since at that point i'm crazy flustered, I pretty much just stumble over my words before he decides to show mercy and get on with it. Head judge rules the same, I get a warning, shuffle up the deck, then a few turns later I ultimate Elspeth and kill Gerard. I thank him for the games, we shake hands and I wish him luck in the tournament.

So all in all, a pretty fun day! I got to beat Gerard Fabiano, got to lose to Pikula, and got a funny story out of it to tell. Also got a loving sweet Geist.

I prefer to believe that he wasn't trying to rules lawyer me and honestly thought I was trying to pull something. Sure that might not be the most likely thing in the world but I'd not seethe about it for the rest of the day. My friend took care of the wanting-to-punch-him-in-the-face department

Unless you flat out know you saw something, you didn't see poo poo. No hesitation, no thinking about it. You can trick yourself into thinking you saw it if you try to remember. You probably did trick yourself into thinking you saw the frame.

Congrats on the win, BTW.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

As much as I'd love to, Modern is a very rare thing where I live, there's one tournament a week and I don't actually have this deck built yet.
I have Merfolk instead.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Tracula posted:

You know I admit I know basically nothing about MTGO but god does it look ugly and more like a freeware client than some freeware clients I've seen :v: And this is the service people put as much money into as they do on actual bits of cardboard, right?
Want a shocker? This ugly thing is "releasing" sometime next year and cost millions of dollars and like 3-6 years to produce. When we had the option of v3 or v4, almost every single pro or regular user of MTGO preferred v3.

I know it's beating a dead horse to death but I've played the modded version of DOTP with about 90% of entire card pool in magic, and it is much more responsive and fun to visually watch than v4.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Count Bleck posted:

I casted Repeal for 0 earlier because the client lagged on me and thought I tapped F2 first, and then tapped my 2 mana to bounce his Delver. I learned that day that DFC'd cards have 0 CMC apparently?

They sure do. That's why my Ravager of the Fells regularly gets Abrupy Decayed.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Korak posted:

Want a shocker? This ugly thing is "releasing" sometime next year and cost millions of dollars and like 3-6 years to produce. When we had the option of v3 or v4, almost every single pro or regular user of MTGO preferred v3.

I know it's beating a dead horse to death but I've played the modded version of DOTP with about 90% of entire card pool in magic, and it is much more responsive and fun to visually watch than v4.
It's already released, v3 can't be used.

Count Bleck posted:

From what I heard the dev team is forced to use a certain program and coding that was originally browser based, and they just had to work with what they had, no questions about it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Heh, a foil token maker gets you foil tokens in Modo

(from an lsv video)

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

MiddleEastBeast posted:

M14 and other recent core sets did have it? I was under the impression that real world flavor text went away some time in the 90's or early 2000's.

Every core set except M13 and M15 has had at least one instance of real world flavour text. To be sure, for some time they have most usually been reprints from the early game, rather than new additions. And since M10 started mixing in new cards, real world text has consequently dropped off pretty hard.

They don't want to use it in expert expansions because there's limited space for worldbuilding and putting real world quotes is basically the total opposite of that. Frankly, they could halve their lovely flavour text joke quotient to greater effect, but it's not the worst reason.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Fun hypothetical, what's the fastest kill possible in Momir Basic, assuming your opponent just draws a card and says go? Fastest I can figure out is:

T1: Mountain, Wild Nacatl
T2: Plains, attack for 3 (21), Lightning Mauler
T3: Any land, Cosmic Larva, attack for 12 (9)
T4: Sacrifice two land, attack for game

edit: Found a T3 kill.

T1: land
T2: land, Immolating Souleater
T3: Silverblade Paladin, soulbond, pay 22 life, attack for 24

Chamale fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Sep 15, 2014

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Count Bleck posted:

Have you been actually reporting the bugs? That helps!

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Stop activating Mindslaver, hth

Mindslaver in person is fine, you just activate it and your opponent scoops :v:

Went 4-2 at this weekend's Modern 1k (missed top 8, and thus money, on breakers, ending at 11th place) with Mono-U Tron. My previous modern tournament experience had been a single FNM where I lost every single match. Was very fun, beat affinity twice, UR delver and a weird mono blue All The Time Walks deck with howling mines and laboratory maniac for the wincon (did 20 to him with a Swan Song token game 3) lost to BG Rock and some weird RWB brew curving Pack Rat into Brimaz (sadly that deck ended up going 3-3, I just had no idea how to play or board against it).

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Sep 15, 2014

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
I was considering cards for Jeskai Heroic, and I thought of Artisan of forms. If I use an instant-speed spell to target it and turn it into a copy of Sarkhan when he's a dragon, the Artisan will be a flying, 4/4 indestructible dragon, correct?

Rollie the Guar
Sep 12, 2011

You can't change nature, Jack.
It will copy an unanimated Sarkhan, and have 0 loyalty counters and die the next time SBEs are checked.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Nuts. That's disappointing.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

No, the remainder text says that he's not a planeswalker while he's a dragon. If the had both types at the same time than yeah it would die due to lack of counters, but he doesn't work like gideon.

edit: I don't get why you would particularly want this interaction though one of them still blows up due to the legendary rule.

Dr. Strange M.D.
Oct 30, 2012

Algid posted:

No, the remainder text says that he's not a planeswalker while he's a dragon. If the had both types at the same time than yeah it would die due to lack of counters, but he doesn't work like gideon.

edit: I don't get why you would particularly want this interaction though one of them still blows up due to the legendary rule.

Not if your opponent controls the Sarkhan.

e: If you were asking about both in your deck, though, then yeah, that doesn't interact well.

Dr. Strange M.D. fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Sep 15, 2014

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

I guess, the way he phrased things I assumed he wanted to do that with his own deck for some reason.

I like combos too, but doing something like that just doesn't seem particularly useful. I'd rather do stuff like armed or boros charm paired with a rampager bloodrush, or pair rabblemaster with ride down for huge damage.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Nah, the deck I'm thinking of probably wouldn't play Sarkhan.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Algid posted:

Pretty sure this isn't the case for the same reason that copying an animated manland gets you an unanimated copy of the land. He might not be a planeswalker but it would still go against similar precedent for 'is a dragon, not a planeswalker' to be a characteristic that gets copied.

edit-- You seem to think that people are saying that the copied Sarkhan would be both a 0-loyalty walker and a dragon, and die. That's not what people are saying--rather people are saying that it would never copy the dragon transformation in the first place, because clone effects don't generally do that.

Rollie the Guar
Sep 12, 2011

You can't change nature, Jack.

Algid posted:

That's just not right. Copy effects always reflect the card they're copying as printed, and never care about auras, equipment, spells or effects which are currently effecting what you decided to copy. It's the same reason why having Clone copy an animated land will just get you a land. This is specifically because copy effects apply in layer 1, long before Sarkhan's type-changing effect, which applies in layer 4.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

You're right, type changes aren't copied, I was being stupid.

Dr. Strange M.D.
Oct 30, 2012
Huh. I didn't realize how this actually worked. I guess it's good that I had to look this up.
For reference:

Comp. Rules posted:

706.2. When copying an object, the copy acquires the copiable values of the original object’s characteristics and, for an object on the stack, choices made when casting or activating it (mode, targets, the value of X, whether it was kicked, how it will affect multiple targets, and so on). The “copiable values” are the values derived from the text printed on the object (that text being name, mana cost, color indicator, card type, subtype, supertype, rules text, power, toughness, and/or loyalty), as modified by other copy effects, by “as . . . enters the battlefield” and “as . . . is turned face up” abilities that set characteristics, and by abilities that caused the object to be face down. Other effects (including type-changing and text-changing effects), status, and counters are not copied.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Zorak posted:

Have you been actually reporting the bugs? That helps!
Look at this naive person. :c00l: I mean yeah you should report bugs but the Pauper people can tell you that there's been bugs in Pauper(which is moderately freaking popular on MTGO at one time) that lasted for years. When that MTGO-gate thing happened a while back, they did start fixing some older bugs but it wasn't a lot of fixes. They broke a few cards too.

quote:

edit-- You seem to think that people are saying that the copied Sarkhan would be both a 0-loyalty walker and a dragon, and die. That's not what people are saying--rather people are saying that it would never copy the dragon transformation in the first place, because clone effects don't generally do that.
This would probably be a good level 1 judge question. It feels wrong but if you think about it from a rules perspective it does make sense.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Mardu Ascendancy counters Anger of the Gods pretty effectively. Also Drown in Sorrows, if it comes to that. I think Ascendancy is going to be a big sideboard card against slower/more controlling decks because it 1) protects against the two sub-5 mana sweepers in the format and 2) keeps you from having to commit too heavily to the board by generating a lot of inevitability with the tokens.
I think that's one thing I'm excited about is that this new format might be very week-to-week swing heavy. One or two weeks a certain deck is great, next few weeks another deck is great all due to how people sideboard. Last standard sideboards were very 2-6 cards in your sideboard for a certain match up and that's it.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
So, does the new Clever Impersonator that comes in as a copy of any non-land permanent let you copy a planeswalker for longer than until someone gets priority? Does the copy get loyalty counters?

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Samael posted:

Goons, do you think Keranos has a place in a more burn/tempo focused monsters temur deck in the new standard? I absolutely love the card and really want it to be useful.
Keranos is getting splashed into some Modern decks so far. I think there is an archtype around him, controlling of course, to be hashed out in the next few weeks. There's a few Izzet enablers I saw that looked decent.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
The Sultai deck posted by JACOB VAN LUNEN on CFB looks pretty nice, I still think that you're better off just going for value with Delvecestral Delvecall than going all in on Empty The Pits.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

End of Life Guy posted:

So, does the new Clever Impersonator that comes in as a copy of any non-land permanent let you copy a planeswalker for longer than until someone gets priority? Does the copy get loyalty counters?

It'll enter the battlefield as that planeswalker, so it'll get loyalty counters.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

AlsoD posted:

The Sultai deck posted by JACOB VAN LUNEN on CFB looks pretty nice, I still think that you're better off just going for value with Delvecestral Delvecall than going all in on Empty The Pits.

Pro's always seem to come up with a brew of the neat cards in a set, then just play goodstuff.dec for actual events. I'm pretty sure it is just to sell more cards.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

End of Life Guy posted:

You choose what it is copying as it leaves the stack, then is treated as if it is exactly that card. So if I copy my opponents Kiora, as it is entering the battlefield it is LItERALLY a Kiora as far as game in progress is concerned, and will get the 2 loyalty.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

End of Life Guy posted:

Planeswalker loyalty as printed on the card is a shorthand for the effective rules text 'this permanent enters the battlefield with a number of loyalty counters on it equal to its printed loyalty'. Because the Impersonator enters the battlefield as a copy of that planeswalker, it gets the loyalty counters as it comes in too.

This is the same reason that a planeswalker which comes back from under a destroyed O Ring/Detention Sphere/Banishing Light gets to replenish its loyalty. It's mildly unintuitive if you're used to permanents mostly coming back from exile without counters because of the changing zones rules (and the Planeswalker doesn't have any counters on it while in exile) but the same thing applies for any permanent which actually ETBs with counters, like creatures with graft.

Sleep of Bronze fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Sep 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

mehall posted:

You choose what it is copying as it leaves the stack, then is treated as if it is exactly that card. So if I copy my opponents Kiora, as it is entering the battlefield it is LItERALLY a Kiora as far as game in progress is concerned, and will get the 2 loyalty.

... I didn't realize the initial conversation was about Artisan of Forms. I just thought we were discussing why cloning a planeswalker wouldn't work. Thanks!

• Locked thread