Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

El Disco posted:

If the pack animal falls unconscious for even an instant, it drops everything it was carrying. You do get blamed for the loss, but that looks like dwarven poo poo. There aren't any consequences for that, as you'll never be sieged by your own civ. Elves and Humans do get a little pissed off.

edit: actually I'm not 100% sure if the pack animals have to die or if they can drop their stuff if rendered unconscious.

How would it even fall unconscious? Admittedly it's right next to my refuse pile and there's tons of corpses in there, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Dreggon posted:

How would it even fall unconscious? Admittedly it's right next to my refuse pile and there's tons of corpses in there, but still.

They might've just gotten spooked by all the corpses and dropped everything and ran.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
There does seem to be more issues with caravans and traders dropping their poo poo or just straight up exploding/disappearing since morale was introduced and it's possible for them to get horrified by corpses or whatever.

Even without that it wasn't unusual for them to path through water and drown due to their slow movement. Still got a pile of goods in my moat that my dwarves can't get, including a nannygoat that is kept in perpetual stasis in its cage. I like to think it just has its goatee'd little lips above the water, filling the quiet moors with eerie bleating as the goat stubbornly treads water in its submerged cage, pausing every so often to glug down a gulp of water or munch a passing carp for sustenance.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dreggon posted:

Once you have some stability it is really worthwhile to build a little fence (walls made of stone blocks) around your outdoor refuse pile. Since the fence isn't to keep out enemies but just to prevent caravans from seeing scary things, you can just use regular doors for access, you don't need to seal it with bridges or whatever.

Aug 24, 2011

Angela Christine posted:

Once you have some stability it is really worthwhile to build a little fence (walls made of stone blocks) around your outdoor refuse pile. Since the fence isn't to keep out enemies but just to prevent caravans from seeing scary things, you can just use regular doors for access, you don't need to seal it with bridges or whatever.

Yeah in fairness I am at the point where I am exploiting melting orders to duplicate metal so this shouldn't be too tough.

The thing that dropped all its stuff seems to have dropped my offerings as well so I won't get a monarch till at least next year, but he's basically useless so who cares.

Also does the baron get promoted to count/duke automatically or do I have to do something special?

e: since when do noble mandates automatically generate arrests? I thought I could just ignore this poo poo but apparently they get arrested automatically?

where the red fern gropes fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Sep 14, 2014

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Someone is putting up readings of Boatmurdered on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZF59Dkk73g

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Dreggon posted:

In all likelihood if the bonus goods are next to your refuse pile, you killed (or stunned) a caravan animal by hitting it in the head with garbage. IDK why stone traps are laughably useless, but hit someone with stray mule cartilage and you're lucky if they don't die.

I recommend walling off most of your refuse square to make it less likely to be traveled.

Aug 24, 2011

Suicide Sam E. posted:

In all likelihood if the bonus goods are next to your refuse pile, you killed (or stunned) a caravan animal by hitting it in the head with garbage. IDK why stone traps are laughably useless, but hit someone with stray mule cartilage and you're lucky if they don't die.

I recommend walling off most of your refuse square to make it less likely to be traveled.

the refuse pile is on a couple of ramps and all the items that have dropped in the past have been on ramps

maybe the motionless item hits them from above while they're going down or some poo poo

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dreggon posted:

the refuse pile is on a couple of ramps and all the items that have dropped in the past have been on ramps

maybe the motionless item hits them from above while they're going down or some poo poo

Ramps are inexplicably deadly. I don't know how or why, but sometimes things on ramps slip or something and "slam into an obstacle" for no reason. Sometimes stuff gets dropped on ramps, falls through to the floor below, and just destroys whoever it hits.

Hatch covers make ramps more (rather than less) dangerous, but I doubt you had hatch covers on ramps used by trade caravans.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW
Looks like you'll have to go to the default DF option, the only sane solution; drop all trade caravans from a drawbridge into a pit of spikes, flood pit to wash away blood and drown the inevitable survivors, loot pit, flood pit again but this time through an opening leading into a second pit. Finally, fill the second pit with lava.

You'll spend more time than average with masons and engravers making memorials for "missing" dwarves, but after a while you'll wonder why you ever bothered trying to trade legitimately.
:black101:

Unrelated:
Didn't elves used to offer lumber and booze for trade? These new elves are somehow even worse than before.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Suicide Sam E. posted:

Unrelated:
Didn't elves used to offer lumber and booze for trade? These new elves are somehow even worse than before.

Yeah http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=7863

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

Hey hey hey, devlog!

quote:

Fixed item storage crash related to minecart being destroyed
Stopped dwarves from trying to clean their own missing or internal body parts
Fixed problem with siege operator skill check (Quietust)
Stopped inside above ground corpses/corpse pieces from being destroyed periodically
Made outside refuse order respect inside/outside instead of above ground/subterranean
Stopped evaporation of inside above ground water from depending on the weather
Stopped water items on the ground from being cleanable -- they evaporate instead
Made water spatter evaporate properly over time
Made "place item in tomb" job governed by burial instead of item hauling labor

That amused me for some reason.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
"Why is this heart always so bloody? It's a godamn mess!"

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Darth Various posted:

Hey hey hey, devlog!

That amused me for some reason.

This bug was pretty horrifying to watch. It was usually a result of surgery without soap, and the dwarves would just scrub themselves constantly, as if they felt unclean

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Splode posted:

This bug was pretty horrifying to watch. It was usually a result of surgery without soap, and the dwarves would just scrub themselves constantly, as if they felt unclean

They saw a dead goblin and it freaked them out and the dirt won't come off!

By the way, if anyone else is playing Masterwork, don't bother with Trebuchets. The siege operator will transform fine, but if there is a fortification they need to be manually pastured next to it to fire through (the operator counts as a pet while transformed). That's annoying enough, but they'll also never transform back. At least not before they die of thirst/hunger. I'm not sure if Arbalests have the same transform bug.

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012
I decided to give this a go so built the little fort in the OP. After I figured out how to dig down, I built a room with a bunch of beds in it because I noticed that my dwarfs were just passing out in the barracks or in corridors when they got tired. I then dug out towards an underground lake thinking that maybe I could get fish out of it because the farm doesn't look like it's working.

Now my miner's drowning and a couple of other dwarfs are stuck in the new bedroom which is full of water. I tried to build a floodgate, but I feel like that may be shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted because the guy carrying it refuses to go downstairs to install it underwater.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

...Yeah digging a tunnel into a lake isn't a good way to get fish.

If you have enough dwarves and picks to continue the fort, block the flooding by constructing some sort of barrier where it's still dry enough for dwarves to go. Then you can drain the water by either digging an underground 'drain field' of sorts (a large open area for the water to flow into until the water level gets low enough for it to evaporate), or digging a passage to the edge of the map, then smoothing the rocks at the edge, and then carving fortifications into them. Which method depends on how close you are to the map edge and how much water you have to drain.

You won't be able to save the drowning dwarves, though.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Chances are you won't be able to build anything to plug the water. If you dug into it sideways, then the place you'd need to build the wall will be flooded. You may just have to abandon that part of the fort and dig somewhere else.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

hailthefish posted:

I wish it was. Rods and nets are so inefficient, the dwarven way to fish would totally be with an elaborate grate/drainage mechanism that dumps fish directly into the dissector's shop.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Boing posted:

I wish it was. Rods and nets are so inefficient, the dwarven way to fish would totally be with an elaborate grate/drainage mechanism that dumps fish directly into the dissector's shop.

That would be amazing.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

hailthefish posted:

That would be amazing.

A sufficiently sharp grating and/or sufficiently pressurized water would make an excellent dwarvern fishing methodology.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Wouldn't even need to be sharp, just have the water fall from a pipe in the ceiling onto a floor grate and then be pumped out from under back up into the lake. Then you'd get a big pile of fish on the floor grate!

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

hailthefish posted:

If you have enough dwarves and picks to continue the fort, block the flooding by constructing some sort of barrier where it's still dry enough for dwarves to go. Then you can drain the water by either digging an underground 'drain field' of sorts (a large open area for the water to flow into until the water level gets low enough for it to evaporate), or digging a passage to the edge of the map, then smoothing the rocks at the edge, and then carving fortifications into them. Which method depends on how close you are to the map edge and how much water you have to drain.

You won't be able to save the drowning dwarves, though.

For some reason I thought that digging into the blue would put me on the edge of an underground lakeshore, which in retrospect was dumb as hell. I've only got 4 guys left so I think I might just try again somewhere else.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Crewmine posted:

For some reason I thought that digging into the blue would put me on the edge of an underground lakeshore, which in retrospect was dumb as hell.

It actually is possible to do that, you just have to make sure you're not under the waterline.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Crewmine posted:

For some reason I thought that digging into the blue would put me on the edge of an underground lakeshore, which in retrospect was dumb as hell. I've only got 4 guys left so I think I might just try again somewhere else.

Yeah, that was digging into the water itself. You can fish from the level above where the water is, so if it was a river or something on the surface then dwarves will fish from there. It isn't as safe because they're outside, but it can be done.

*EDIT*
One of these days I need to do a dwarf fortress tutorial LP in the same vein as that very helpful CK2 LP. Has anyone else done something like that?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

ghetto wormhole posted:

Wouldn't even need to be sharp, just have the water fall from a pipe in the ceiling onto a floor grate and then be pumped out from under back up into the lake. Then you'd get a big pile of fish on the floor grate!

I'd still prefer a Burns Omni-net apparatus sweeping the ocean clean.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

hailthefish posted:

But man that is some dwarfy thinking.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Games > Dwarf Fortress 2014: Digging a tunnel into a lake isn't a good way to get fish.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Sultan Tarquin posted:

"Why is this heart always so bloody? It's a godamn mess!"

If my dwarves get in a cloud of wicked vapor, they have pus covering for life. Even their organs.

Small price to pay for sinister real estate, though.

ghetto wormhole posted:

This would be terrific.

I'm still okay with being able to fish in a well they built, though. Progress! I'm not sure how turtles survived going through three screw pumps, but I'm not going to argue.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Excelzior posted:

I'd still prefer a Burns Omni-net apparatus sweeping the ocean clean.

Do dwarves fish the ocean yet?

I've only had a couple of forts on the ocean. In one of them the entire ocean froze solid every winter. Lot of drowned dwarves from trying to make a water inlet to the fort.

Digging into the ocean is not that great of an idea, not if you don't know yet when the thaw is.

Aug 24, 2011

legendary clothier asked to create large amount of clothing for increasingly-naked fortress

assigned workshop, plenty of materials

does not work

told to construct additional clothing shop

does so, then goes on break

gently caress you, clothier

e: dwarves are actually getting upset because their clothes are rotting, i swear to god if this fucker going on break causes a tantrum spiral he's going in the volcano

where the red fern gropes fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Sep 15, 2014

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Dreggon posted:

legendary clothier asked to create large amount of clothing for increasingly-naked fortress

assigned workshop, plenty of materials

does not work

told to construct additional clothing shop

does so, then goes on break

gently caress you, clothier
  • the Clothier has been assigned to the wrong burrow. Fix it.
  • the cloth has claimed for hospital use. You're screwed. Note: this problem is unlikely if you're running an up-to-date version of the game.
  • standing orders dictacte that he must "Use Dyed Cloth." There are fifty available bolts of cloth, but it's all undyed and so he can't touch it. Start dyeing or change the order.
  • the submitted order was "Make Cloth Trousers." There are fifty bolts available, but it's all yarn spun from the wool of the fortress' llamas. Since he can't find any plant-fiber cloth, he's forced to report failure and cancel the job. Remove the old order and submit a new one for Yarn pants.
  • the cloth is deadlocked in some kind of bin-hauling nightmare, or the game is being buggy, or the Clothier is being a temperamental little bitch. Forget it; just make clothes out of leather instead.

Aug 24, 2011

turns out he was just being an rear end in a top hat

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

If he is an rear end in a top hat, gently caress 'em. Legendary clothiers are completely unnecessary for fortress clothing. Just have some peasant or cheesemaker take up tailoring. Dwarves don't get good thoughts from wearing really good clothes, and they don't last longer than standard or anything. Fancy clothes just inflate your fortress value which encourages meaner things to attack you. If you've gotten to the point where dwarfs are mad about their tattered clothing it is worthwhile to have several clothier shops and several tailors to produce as quickly as possible. Volume matters more than skill.

The only case where a legendary clothier is particularly useful is if you are producing socks for export. With a good weaver, a good dyer, and a good clothier you can make absurdly valuable socks. Weave the cloth yourself, dye the cloth, make the cloth into socks, use some of the heaps of useless horse/donkey/muskox/whatever hair you have lying around to embroider the socks. It is the most absurd trade good ever.

Speaking of socks, everything except socks can be made from leather instead. Leather is cheaper than cloth. Leather counts as armor in battle even if it is a shoe or tunic, so civilians that get into fights while wearing leather clothes can earn points in armor use. Asking the outpost liaison to send you lots of leather is a pro move. To make it easier to identify items, ask for 3 or 4 letter leathers. Cow, emu, cat, dog, elk, fox, etc., are all great. "Cow leather quiver" is much tidier than "naked mole dog leather quiver".

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Sep 15, 2014

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW
Clothes are for squares.

My fortresses were mostly nude until I realized dwarves' clothes decayed (regardless of their activity, too).

Now dwarves get all uppity about old clothes and being naked.

Just make them some shirts, pants, and shoes and do your best to forget that for some reason clothes are now a reason to lose a grip on sanity. Having nice clothes made out of material a dwarf likes doesn't make them happier, though.

Also, better clothes decaying at the same rate is another lame oversight.

TheAwfulWaffle
Jun 30, 2013
Trade cloth to the caravan for leather. Make leather clothes. That's my strategy and it works great!*

*n.b. Weavers searching for spider silk may be eaten by cave crocodiles, crundles, floating eyes, blind cave ogres, flesh balls, forgotten beasts, etc., etc. It is inevitable.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
After modding the raws to make butchered animals produce a pile of skin, I really like having leather robes etc for everyone. Protects a bit from stuff hitting them, and covers almost the whole body.

Aug 24, 2011

is it also valid to make a full set of masterwork steel armor for every dwarf

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Leather industry needs a major overhaul. Every animal only creates one leather and every leather is equally effective as armor.

I would like to see things like drakes giving a bunch of leather that is comparable to steel armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I'm reasonably confident Masterwork does just that.