Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Anybody attend Kyle Kinane's special taping recently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Not me, but he'll be here in Denver in early September (week after Tom Segura, which is the week after the High Plains Comedy Fest). Gonna be a good few weeks.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

XIII posted:

Not me, but he'll be here in Denver in early September (week after Tom Segura, which is the week after the High Plains Comedy Fest). Gonna be a good few weeks.

It turns out he's shooting the special tomorrow, anyways. I am fool.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

El Gallinero Gros posted:

You owe me a pair of pants, because the news that Kyle Kinane has taped a new special has caused my erection to irreparably damage the pair I was just wearing. I'd best put my keyboard away when it airs, for it will, too, be under threat of taking irreparable damage!

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXXj0F_-Iz0

:allears:

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Heading to the Edinburgh fringe this weekend, anyone know of anything up there that I should try and see?

Tickets listing

If not I'll probably just wander about and hopefully stumble upon something good. I'll be sure to report back too.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Daniel Kitson.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

sharktamer posted:

Heading to the Edinburgh fringe this weekend, anyone know of anything up there that I should try and see?

Tickets listing

If not I'll probably just wander about and hopefully stumble upon something good. I'll be sure to report back too.

gosh this website is horrible

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Go see Colt Cabana

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Who is he against and for what title

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Since his name comes up in these forums a lot, I highly recommend the latest episode of Industry Standard with Comedy Central head honcho Kent Alterman. I also recommend that podcast in general just to hear stories from the (often well-deserved) much maligned non-creatives in Hollywood: Executives, producers, and 10 percenters.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Since his name comes up in these forums a lot, I highly recommend the latest episode of Industry Standard with Comedy Central head honcho Kent Alterman. I also recommend that podcast in general just to hear stories from the (often well-deserved) much maligned non-creatives in Hollywood: Executives, producers, and 10 percenters.

The only episode I've listened to was the one with Maron, but it was good enough that I'm going to keep listening to the podcast.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

XIII posted:

The only episode I've listened to was the one with Maron, but it was good enough that I'm going to keep listening to the podcast.

Barry Katz is an interesting guy. The only "big" comic he reps these days is Jay Mohr (more successful than big, really), but in his long career he's counted Louis CK, Dane Cook, Dave Chappelle, and Whitney Cummings as his clients. He's kind of a corny interviewer and admits himself that his voice puts people to sleep, but his guest list is pretty stellar.

The special episode where Jay Mohr, playing "Barry", interviews Barry is a must-listen for it's combination of weirdness and openness. "Barry" gets the real Barry to open up about his first wife dying of an anorexia-induced heart attack in his arms. Other must-listens:

*Phil Rosenthal, co-creator of Everybody Loves Raymond. Just a funny, all-around good dude. Barry opens it with his story about Jeff Ross and Barry passing on Worldwide Pants to make a sitcom with Castle Rock (Seinfeld). That pilot died and Worldwide Pants ended up making a little show with Rosenthal and Ray Romano.

*Matt Williams, co-creator of Home Improvement and Roseanne. Some great stories about Roseanne being an awful person and taking full advantage of it once her show went to #1. I think this episode also has the cold open where Barry talks about the failure of Dave Chappelle and Jim Breur's Home Improvement spin-off Buddies. Jim Bruer literally learned he got fired while in a room with his entire family.

*Chris Albrecht, former head of HBO during the late-90s/Early 2000s.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

The special episode where Jay Mohr, playing "Barry", interviews Barry is a must-listen for it's combination of weirdness and openness. "Barry" gets the real Barry to open up about his first wife dying of an anorexia-induced heart attack in his arms. Other must-listens:

I stopped listening to Mohr Stories a while back when I just got bored with it, but I must say, I do miss Jay's impression of Katz. I'm going to have to try this. "Get a helmet, man."

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Drunkboxer posted:

I stopped listening to Mohr Stories a while back when I just got bored with it, but I must say, I do miss Jay's impression of Katz. I'm going to have to try this. "Get a helmet, man."

The end of that episode is literally just a bunch of voicemails from his clients and friends doing their beat Barry impersonations. "Create holy poo poo momentttzZzzZzZzz"

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
New special from Jim Jefferies is up on Netflix!

Apoplexy fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Aug 29, 2014

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Apoplexy posted:

Jim Jefferies is loving amazing. S-tier.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

I think I'd heard like 80% of the jokes already but yeah great special all together. Maybe his best. I think I've heard more people talk about Legit these days than ever.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Apoplexy posted:

Tremendous special. Probably his best effort since I Swear to God.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Man the Just for Laughs lineup in Toronto is a mess, I bought tickets a couple weeks ago and since then Kumail, Chelsea Peretti and Rory Scovel have dropped out and been replaced by nothing. Their whole gimmick is that its JFL42 and there are supposed to be 42 acts; it starts in like 2 weeks and there are only 37 acts booked, and thats being pretty generous since a handful of them are "go to Yuk Yuks and see what local comic might show up" which is hardly worth spending one of your Festival Credits or whatever on

maybe the awesome headliners such as Lena Dunham (??????????????) will make the $100 ticket all worthwhile

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

manyak posted:

Man the Just for Laughs lineup in Toronto is a mess, I bought tickets a couple weeks ago and since then Kumail, Chelsea Peretti and Rory Scovel have dropped out and been replaced by nothing. Their whole gimmick is that its JFL42 and there are supposed to be 42 acts; it starts in like 2 weeks and there are only 37 acts booked, and thats being pretty generous since a handful of them are "go to Yuk Yuks and see what local comic might show up" which is hardly worth spending one of your Festival Credits or whatever on

maybe the awesome headliners such as Lena Dunham (??????????????) will make the $100 ticket all worthwhile

Oh poo poo I almost got a passport and tickets for that. Kind of glad I didn't now. If you do get a chance to see Rory Scovel or Kumail Nanjiani (or Chelsea Peretti but she sticks to material more) definitely take it.

Let us know what Dunham is like, though. I can't imagine but I guess it might be similar to whatever she did on her book tour?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

They added Pete Holmes, Iliza Scheslinger, and Jen Kirkman to make up for those three dropping out. Not bad, but I've seen Pete three times and Jen once, and I don't like Iliza, so not a great deal for me. I was really looking forward to seeing the comics who dropped out.

It really hosed up my plan too because I was going to see Peretti the first night, then use that credit to see a show on the second night, etc. I had to re-do my whole sperg chart thing I made.

JFL42 still isn't at 42 acts and we're like two weeks away. Last year when they didn't hit "42" they added stuff like "get a free coffee at this one coffee shop near none of the venues for a token" which was really dumb. I do like a lot of the local comics on the list (Mark Forward, DJ Demers, Matt O'Brien, Sara Hennessey, Christina Walkinshaw, Graham Kay, etc.) but I also see them all the time for like five bucks on a Monday. Hard to pass up seeing Broad City or Ron Funches for that.

If you're ever sitting around with extra credits and not sure what to use them on, the Altdot Comedy Lounge shows last year were incredible and usually had about ten comics on the line-up. Or, go see Andy Kindler's late show. There are a lot of comedians in town this year during JFL42 and I wouldn't be surprised if people dropped in...

(crossing my fingers that Chris Rock drops in because he's in town towards the end of the fest for some charity gig...)

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

The Berzerker posted:

They added Pete Holmes, Iliza Scheslinger, and Jen Kirkman to make up for those three dropping out. Not bad, but I've seen Pete three times and Jen once, and I don't like Iliza, so not a great deal for me. I was really looking forward to seeing the comics who dropped out.

It really hosed up my plan too because I was going to see Peretti the first night, then use that credit to see a show on the second night, etc. I had to re-do my whole sperg chart thing I made.

JFL42 still isn't at 42 acts and we're like two weeks away. Last year when they didn't hit "42" they added stuff like "get a free coffee at this one coffee shop near none of the venues for a token" which was really dumb. I do like a lot of the local comics on the list (Mark Forward, DJ Demers, Matt O'Brien, Sara Hennessey, Christina Walkinshaw, Graham Kay, etc.) but I also see them all the time for like five bucks on a Monday. Hard to pass up seeing Broad City or Ron Funches for that.

If you're ever sitting around with extra credits and not sure what to use them on, the Altdot Comedy Lounge shows last year were incredible and usually had about ten comics on the line-up. Or, go see Andy Kindler's late show. There are a lot of comedians in town this year during JFL42 and I wouldn't be surprised if people dropped in...

(crossing my fingers that Chris Rock drops in because he's in town towards the end of the fest for some charity gig...)

Same. Pete Holmes is a great add but ive seen him before and all the people that dropped out I really wanted to see

I'll definitely be at the Altdot shows and Kindlers alternative show every night I can make it out, i forget if it was last year or the year before when Louis CK came to the alt show at the end of the night and did a set for like 30 people, it was my favorite experience from all of JFL

THeyre already getting to the "free small coffee for a token" phase, they just retroactively added "JFL in july" as one of the acts to try to fill out the numbers, lol

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Saw Tig Notaro at Shepherd's bush empire on Monday. I haven't laughed so hard in ages. Some great bits and amazing crowd work.

I said I'd mention who I saw in Edinburgh. Saw Tim Key on the Saturday, great premise and some great monologues, but it probably would have been better if he had strayed from his routine just a bit more. Sunday I saw Des Bishop, a really nice surprise. His show was about how he learned enough Mandarin in China to perform over there. Some great stories on how culturally different China is from the west without descending to just straight up mocking. A really endearing show, his newfound love for the country really came through.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

I was at Tig's London show too! Really, really great.

And that's my review. Cheers thanks and bye

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sharktamer posted:

Saw Tig Notaro at Shepherd's bush empire on Monday. I haven't laughed so hard in ages. Some great bits and amazing crowd work.

I said I'd mention who I saw in Edinburgh. Saw Tim Key on the Saturday, great premise and some great monologues, but it probably would have been better if he had strayed from his routine just a bit more. Sunday I saw Des Bishop, a really nice surprise. His show was about how he learned enough Mandarin in China to perform over there. Some great stories on how culturally different China is from the west without descending to just straight up mocking. A really endearing show, his newfound love for the country really came through.

Ari Shaffir did an episode of his podcast with Des all about living in China and doing comedy there, link if you're interested.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

manyak posted:

Same. Pete Holmes is a great add but ive seen him before and all the people that dropped out I really wanted to see

I'll definitely be at the Altdot shows and Kindlers alternative show every night I can make it out, i forget if it was last year or the year before when Louis CK came to the alt show at the end of the night and did a set for like 30 people, it was my favorite experience from all of JFL

THeyre already getting to the "free small coffee for a token" phase, they just retroactively added "JFL in july" as one of the acts to try to fill out the numbers, lol

Yeah that was two years ago. I think the biggest drop in last year was the night that Jon Dore and Aziz both showed up to co-surprise headline Kindler's show

It's still worth the money (to me at least) because for $130 or whatever I'm definitely going to see a ton of comics I like, and I take the week off work so I usually make it to a few shows a night, but it (like most festivals) seems really disorganized.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Okay Dave Attell just got added. I'm back on board.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Dave Attell could make me willingly enter a prison cell, concentration camp, gas chamber, ANYTHING.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

a_big_dog posted:

I was at Tig's London show too! Really, really great.

And that's my review. Cheers thanks and bye

I was in the front row, a few seats away from the guy who worked in gay film distribution. I was about to offer to spell diarrhoea, really glad I didn't after what we got.

I wanna hear about more good London shows from you in the future, preferably before they happen. What's your going rate? I can do £0 per recommendation.

sharktamer fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Sep 6, 2014

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Apoplexy posted:

Dave Attell could make me willingly gently caress a dead midget hooker while in a Jagermeister blackout.

FTFY

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
NYC goons: I'm heading up between October 10 and 13, and want to catch as much comedy as possible. Anything in particular I should get to, or just generally work my way through the list here, checking to see who gets booked?

http://splitsider.com/2013/02/splitsiders-guide-to-nycs-comedy-scene/

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The best daily listings:

http://bestnewyorkcomedy.com/

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

That's pretty awesome. I like to plan ahead, but it looks like I'll have reasonable success suppressing my nerd instincts and just checking that on a mostly daily basis while we're there?

Thank you!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

BiggerBoat posted:

Dice, for instance, also catches a lot of poo poo but I always looked at him as a parody and a caricature of a certain laughable stereotype, where you're laughing AT the guy and not really the material, which was always pathetically weak. I think to an extent, you had to be from Philly, Jersey or New York to "get" what Dice was doing, which to me was always poking fun at the stupidity of your average misogynistic, homophobic stupid Guido.
That kind of larger than life big character comedy when it works is sublime, Dice is one of the few I know of that pulls it off. Dice and Neil Hamburger are my favorite comedians for the record, comedy contempt for the audience, playing a character that seems mad but in an entertaining way. And of course weird and vulgur. I love that stuff, and while two very different comedians, those two delight me the most. I'm seeing Dice in a couple months too!

DangerDummy! posted:

All this Dice talk has reminded me that The Day the Laughter Died
My favorite stand-up album ever, some call it "anti-comedy" but for me it's funnier than anything in the usual relatable nice guy talking about their kids stand-up style. I love Louie CK as much as the next guy, just saying, something like that which somehow works and is crazy hilarious in an unorthodox way just rules.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Dice was pretty loving amazing in Woody Allen's Blue Jasmine last year.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
How do you do stand up comedy

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
I need to become a working standup ASAP (I'd say 2 to 3 months max) and need to know how it's done. Please let me know.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

This thread is semi-active and is about doing comedy. There are some good conversations throughout.

Or you could type your first post into google. I'm not trying to be flippant but there's endless guides for getting started or getting on stage, way more stuff out there for beginners than people honing their craft. Even stuff that gets reposted constantly, like Ralphie May's video, assumes that you're comfortable on stage. You need a little confidence, a little material, but mostly a lot of experience. And you don't have to wait 3 months, you can become a working standup now! If you're in a metro area, you might be able to find open mics 5 nights a week or so. The real question is how much you can actually develop in that time.

Being funny + lots of effort + time is the basic formula. Maybe if you have massive quantities of one you can compensate, but apparently you're already short on time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

Look I'm not here to mess around. An "open" mic? Why don't I just say my jokes for free on a corner.