Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I'd be amused if John Morris came up again. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Oh hey, are we talking about glitches in Castlevania games? Because I've always been quite partial to this TAS 100% furniture, 0% physics speedrun of Harmony of Dissonance. There's just something so magical about the entire thing, from the way his primary method of movement is to rocket backwards in air too fast for the stage to catch up, to the way he blows off one of the boss fights by floating out of the room. There's also a Maxim mode version that takes a total of 22 seconds from opening to ending. :allears:

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

ElegantFugue posted:

Oh hey, are we talking about glitches in Castlevania games? Because I've always been quite partial to this TAS 100% furniture, 0% physics speedrun of Harmony of Dissonance. There's just something so magical about the entire thing, from the way his primary method of movement is to rocket backwards in air too fast for the stage to catch up, to the way he blows off one of the boss fights by floating out of the room. There's also a Maxim mode version that takes a total of 22 seconds from opening to ending. :allears:

Haha, nice. My favorite thing about Harmony of Dissonance was how maneuverable Juste was—I had no idea it could be taken to such game-breaking extents, though.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

HolyKrap posted:

Then there's every other glitch that's unique to HoD. I'll only list the two common ones, jumpkick onto the last pixel of any corner to shoot yourself forward, and jumpkick and slide to the last pixel of a corner and jump to shoot yourself backwards to slide up and through walls. Difficult to master but it opens the game way up, every edge you can walk on can be used for a glitch. Using glitches like that can cut a 12 minute chapter 10 run down to 30 seconds, speedruns galore.

Here's a video of my friend doing Julius' omnia vanitas move really loving fast, I'm nowhere near that speed yet.
He interrupts the animation with a whip, and follows that up with another omnia, repeat. It needs to be done before the animation turns him around, that's 2 or 3 omnias a second.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSjLKGgfa30

And a huge glitch compilation, skip to anywhere in this video and you'll get my point. These glitches have put a ton of life into this game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P9gPEqxlyE

Wow I spent so many hours on this game, and I didn't know about this omnia veritas trick. All i did was prepare the next one when it ended.

That game was an extremely enjoyable but DLC-ridden buggy mess, where sequence breaking teleport glitches were welcome.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I think the star of the new not-Castlevania game should just look like -

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Barudak posted:

I'm a huge sucker for sprite art as well. I agree I don't think its feasible but at least some sort of option exists in this day and age to do it more cheaply. I'd really love sprite art but the reality is I'll still buy it anyway because its a Castlevania game and its not made by Mercury Stream.

Bear in mind that Shovel Knight just barely got made for $300k, and by the devs' own estimation, a professional studio might have paid ~$1.5m for the same amount of work from the same small number of people, so I really wonder if even IGA could raise enough money to make an original all-2D game with the same scope as SOTN. I can't imagine he'll even raise as much as Inafune did, to be honest.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, there's no way he makes MN9 levels. MN9 rode the wave of fan ire really hard and Castlevania just doesn't have that behind it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I have plenty of ire Re: Castlevania!

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I am also hard for Castlevania, but I doubt many other people are. :(

Or at least not at Mega Man levels of everyone being hard.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
So basically, Konami was right?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Sadly I don't think the Castlevania games before Lords of Shadow sold very well in any region. So sad as it may be, Konami may well have been right in this case.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pretty much. Castlevania was never a huge seller. Mega Man really wasn't either though, but a lot of people viewed Mega Man as being 'bigger' than Castlevania.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Fargin Icehole posted:

Wow I spent so many hours on this game, and I didn't know about this omnia veritas trick. All i did was prepare the next one when it ended.

That game was an extremely enjoyable but DLC-ridden buggy mess, where sequence breaking teleport glitches were welcome.

An easier way for that would be to backdash cancel the omnia so you don't have to wait for it to end. The method in tn that video is really tricky to time right, if you're not fast enough you'll either uppercut or whip.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Sadly I don't think the Castlevania games before Lords of Shadow sold very well in any region. So sad as it may be, Konami may well have been right in this case.

I'd like to think one of the reasons is because a lot were portable exclusive.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Yeah, if they really crow about "New SOTN via Kickstarter!!" I bet they can get in on that general nerd dollar. Lesser metroidvanias have been funded on that promise.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Anonymous Robot posted:

So basically, Konami was right?

It's more that people saw the MN9 campaign as a way to stick it to Capcom for any of the many boneheaded or inflammatory things they've done in recent times, particularly in regards to Megaman, so they were able to get a lot of support and attention for reasons that went beyond the project itself.

Konami's reputation isn't great, either, but they're not nearly as controversial as Capcom, so IGA won't be able to count on the same degree of "protest funding" (plus, Inafune got there first).

More to the point, I'm not confident he could even make the exact sort of game people want for the money Inafune got, so...

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I don't know, how much did the 2D Castlevanias cost to make?

Also, isn't the idea behind a lot of those kickstarted games that, once they got some start-up cash, it's easier to get investors for the rest of the money?

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

ElegantFugue posted:

THIS... is ART.

I forgot how Harmony of Dissonance's soundtrack sounds quite reminiscent of Splatterhouse.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's more that people saw the MN9 campaign as a way to stick it to Capcom for any of the many boneheaded or inflammatory things they've done in recent times, particularly in regards to Megaman, so they were able to get a lot of support and attention for reasons that went beyond the project itself.

Konami's reputation isn't great, either, but they're not nearly as controversial as Capcom, so IGA won't be able to count on the same degree of "protest funding" (plus, Inafune got there first).

More to the point, I'm not confident he could even make the exact sort of game people want for the money Inafune got, so...

Thats probably true, but to be quite honest. I think the fuckup is as much Inafune's as it is Capcom's considering that he left Capcom around the time of MML3 and wanted Capcom to hire him as a consultant to help them work on the game that he was working on before he left.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Pretty much. Castlevania was never a huge seller. Mega Man really wasn't either though, but a lot of people viewed Mega Man as being 'bigger' than Castlevania.

The NES ones were pretty popular, weren't they? Or was SotN just an unusual spike of popularity because of how good it was?

OoE sold better than a few of it's predecessors in portable exclusive CV games, which makes it more of a shame to me that it was the last one. :smith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Anatharon posted:

The NES ones were pretty popular, weren't they? Or was SotN just an unusual spike of popularity because of how good it was?

OoE sold better than a few of it's predecessors in portable exclusive CV games, which makes it more of a shame to me that it was the last one. :smith:

Castlevania (the original) was very popular but every successive game after it saw reduced sales. The series only saw a serious sales boost with SotN.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Castlevania (the original) was very popular but every successive game after it saw reduced sales. The series only saw a serious sales boost with SotN.

And even then it still didn't seem to be that much.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
People were a bit disappointed in Simon's Quest actually because of how repetitive the graphics are in it compared to CV1. CV1 only has five areas but each one has its own style and song such. Then by the time Dracula's Curse came out, despite being a legit great game, it was seen as more of the same like a Mega Man 4/5/6. Though I am glad to see Dracula's Curse get more appreciation today.

Super Castlevania IV was a huge deal when it dropped in the US though, and Bloodlines was very popular too. CV as a series had the least hype ever from when Simon's Quest came out to when Dracula's Curse came out, SCV4 made people pay attention again and Symphony of the Night was highly anticipated.*

*Obviously not like Resident Evil/Tomb Raider levels of excitement but you know what I mean.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The first LOS game is the biggest-selling CV game ever, or at least that's what the producer kept telling people in the leadup to LOS2.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The first LOS game is the biggest-selling CV game ever, or at least that's what the producer kept telling people in the leadup to LOS2.

It makes sense considering it was the first post Modern Warfare 2 Castlevania where it was a big AAA game with a huge marketing push everywhere and such. Same thing happened with SNK, King of Fighters: Maximum Impact is the best selling King of Fighters game in the US. :wtc:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It was but it's a bit misleading because it wasn't exactly an even playing field. It was the only Castlevania pretty much ever to get a multi-SKU release and that is what put it over a few of the other games. That isn't to devalue its sales (or argue that one SKU wouldn't have done better if it had been a single-SKU game) but it didn't outdo a good chunk of the other Castlevania games on single-SKU sales.

It also got a heavy marketing push which had a pretty significant impact on it and which Konami denied to other Castlevania games. (including, ironically, LoS2 which got kind of shoved out the door to die.) Again, not really a case of devaluing the fact it sold but it was Konami giving it a way bigger push than they did any of the DS titles.

Third, it wasn't necessarily the most profitable of the games. Ironically that may actually have been Castlevania HD which had a fairly strong base of DLC buyers and a shoestring budget.

It was still a big success for the franchise though. And then LoS2 (and to a lesser extent MoF) pissed that away completely.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Belmont is synonymous with Castlevania to me. As much as I liked SotN, I just can't divorce the idea of whipping skeletons from a Castlevania game. I honestly didn't like Eccelsia that much - my favorite on handheld was Portrait of Ruin. I got plenty of background about the Vampire Killer, and all that. Juste was forgettable.

That being said I subscribe to the idea that the Dark Souls series is very much the best new Castlevania game, and I can't wait to here what this unofficial take is.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

It's weird how, like, almost incredible Castlevania 64 is. I like it a lot myself but the camera really does mess you up during the vertical sections. But the basic way the lock-on works, the atmosphere, the way there's a day and night cycle and other vampires to hunt down and stuff, it was really cool. So close.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Firstborn posted:

Belmont is synonymous with Castlevania to me. As much as I liked SotN, I just can't divorce the idea of whipping skeletons from a Castlevania game. I honestly didn't like Eccelsia that much - my favorite on handheld was Portrait of Ruin. I got plenty of background about the Vampire Killer, and all that. Juste was forgettable.

That being said I subscribe to the idea that the Dark Souls series is very much the best new Castlevania game, and I can't wait to here what this unofficial take is.

I obviously vehemently disagree with you about the Ecclesia thing, but I just can't see an off-brand Castlevania game being the same without "Belmont" and "Castlevania" being used.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, I wasn't trying to imply anything with that statement, I just wanted to highlight what the benchmark actually is with regards to Castlevania because, as with a lot of other series, people tend to have the impression that these games were massive multi-million sellers in their day but it really isn't true.

It's not as if LOS sold particularly well to begin with, relative to today's market - the producer wouldn't give hard figures but we know it shipped a million, which would have been fine ten years ago but isn't especially impressive nowadays, and both sequels did far less than that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I wasn't trying to imply anything with that statement, I just wanted to highlight what the benchmark actually is with regards to Castlevania because, as with a lot of other series, people tend to have the impression that these games were massive multi-million sellers in their day but it really isn't true.

It's not as if LOS sold particularly well to begin with, relative to today's market - the producer wouldn't give hard figures but we know it shipped a million, which would have been fine ten years ago but isn't especially impressive nowadays, and both sequels did far less than that.

Yeah, to emphasize this:
We can pretty firmly say based off the information given that DmC, the reboot of Devil May Cry, sold significantly better than Lords of Shadow did, despite the former being considered a serious underperformer.

It's sort of a shame they didn't manage to transition it to digital distribution properly. The 2D Castlevanias were basically ripe for being released as $15~ downloadable titles made on a smaller budget.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Sep 15, 2014

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I still can't believe Mirror of Fate was released in its state.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I still can't believe LOS2 is only the second-worst 3D action game released this year. Thanks, Yaiba!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I still can't believe LOS2 is only the second-worst 3D action game released this year. Thanks, Yaiba!

I got Yaiba for free but man, god drat. It's honestly pretty nice visually and I like the basic, like, concept of how the combat is the supposed to work but holy poo poo everything else. I've held onto it for historical purposes.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Iga's new project will star the Bermonts and take place in Fortressvania against the forces of Dracula and a colorful assortment of Greek, Eastern European, and in the DLC, American named monsters, most of which will look little like their historically portrayed selves.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Neo Rasa posted:

I still can't believe Mirror of Fate was released in its state.

After playing it I don't really understand all of the hate that Mirror of Fate gets. The combat was clunky but it just makes it to be a more mediocre games than a flat out bad one. I thought it was alright. Somewhere around CV64 or LoI.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

PSWII60 posted:

After playing it I don't really understand all of the hate that Mirror of Fate gets. The combat was clunky but it just makes it to be a more mediocre games than a flat out bad one. I thought it was alright. Somewhere around CV64 or LoI.

It had a really bad demo that started you 2/3 or the way into the game and which ran shittier than the retail game (which didn't run much better). The fact that they had ports ready makes it seem like it was just lazily downported to the 3DS without much consideration for how it would run.

The combat didn't translate well to being on a 2D plane either, the ranged attack pretty much let you hit everyone on screen, which meant people went to those moves (that do less damage than just a direct attack) and that made it take longer to deal with the limp-dicked encounters.

I mean, I'd still say it's mediocre more than outright bad, but I can see what people hated about it. The notion that it plays more like a lame Prince of Persia game than a Metroidvania probably didn't help matters.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Ultimately Mirror of Fate is just mediocre, but everything about it is so poorly made that I don't think I'd ever recommend anyone actually play it.

And I like both LoS games at that!

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I'm still sour they didn't save the ability to play as Trevor or Simon for LOS2 and then give us a proper updated Dracula fight at the end.

One thing I like about LOS is that there are more vampires to fight. I want a normal enemy or a re-occurring sub-boss that is other vampires. I have fond memories of that surprisingly awesome Buffy game from The Collective (which also gave us a great Indiana Jones punch-up) where you could break pieces of wood and had to slay vampires or they would continue to rise. It'd be like this generation of games and it's obsession with headshots being the only way to deal with zombies.

(Orlock for President)
(The GoW rip offs never really satisfy me. I get bored of the small moveset and repeated finisher QTEs very quickly.)

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Sep 15, 2014

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Mirror of Fate had good art direction, I thought. I especially like the Simon redesign. Unfortunately I don't think the GoW style gameplay translates very well. I felt like the enemies took too much time to kill and absorb damage a little too well. It doesn't feel like the whip has enough 'weight'. Still, if it's cheap and you're really into the series there's worse entries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I really liked the boss battles in Mirror of Fate. I also really liked the direction they took the story in with it. It was unfortunately pissed away in LoS 2.

However, Death had a pretty badass design in LoS2. That Scythe whip was pretty baller.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 15, 2014