Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DanManIt
Sep 5, 2008

Guy Axlerod posted:

How much is your job giving you towards moving expenses?

Have you considered a furnished apartment?

I get a stipend to keep regardless of how much I spend on expenses.

Hadn't thought of furnished apartments, I'll look into that. I didn't see any in my preliminary search on craigslist though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I'd go with 3.

If you go with 1, you can get guys who don't speak English either from the curb outside a Home Depot or via Craigslist for $10/hour. You don't have to speak spanish. Just open the back of the truck and point.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Guy Axlerod posted:

How much is your job giving you towards moving expenses?

Have you considered a furnished apartment?

Furnished apartments are pretty rare and when you do see them it doesn't like a very good deal.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
It's usually more of a, going away for a bit, rent my house, mind my poo poo. Don't wreck it.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Babygravy posted:

It's usually more of a, going away for a bit, rent my house, mind my poo poo. Don't wreck it.

Or an extra room like some Airbnbs

uncloudy day
Aug 4, 2010
I'm trying to buy a sofa that I won't have to replace after a few years. I like a couple of the styles at Crate & Barrel and I keep reading their sofas are well constructed (hardwood frames vs Ikea particleboard) and durable. I'm highly suspicious of all the no brand furniture I see on those massive home decor search engines.

I know obvious brands like Herman Miller and Knoll but those are way out of my price range. Anyone know any entry-level-ish apartment size sofas around $1500 that are about the same quality as Crate & Barrel?

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
I hear good things about http://www.bludot.com/

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

uncloudy day posted:

I'm trying to buy a sofa that I won't have to replace after a few years. I like a couple of the styles at Crate & Barrel and I keep reading their sofas are well constructed (hardwood frames vs Ikea particleboard) and durable. I'm highly suspicious of all the no brand furniture I see on those massive home decor search engines.

I know obvious brands like Herman Miller and Knoll but those are way out of my price range. Anyone know any entry-level-ish apartment size sofas around $1500 that are about the same quality as Crate & Barrel?

IKEA sofas aren't actually made of particle board btw

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe
We got a sofa at the La-Z-Boy store for about $1000. It has double recliners and is very comfortable. They also have a ton of sofas so there are lots of options.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

uncloudy day posted:

At that price you could have something made to order. I had something similar to this sofa from CB2 made and delivered for a little less than the store price. Plus, I got to customize my fabric, dimensions, and cushion details. If you have any custom sofa manufacturers in your area, you should check out what they have to offer.

uncloudy day
Aug 4, 2010
Thanks for the recommendations all. I'm gonna look at custom stuff.

Drunk Tomato posted:

IKEA sofas aren't actually made of particle board btw

Actually they are btw

http://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/spr/69876003/ posted:

Product description
Sofa:
Frame: Particleboard, Plywood, Fiberboard
Zig-zag spring: Steel
Armrest frame: Polyurethane foam., Polyester wadding
Seat cushion: High resilient polyurethane foam (cold foam)., Polyester wadding
Back cushion: Polyurethane foam., Polyester wadding
Leg: Solid birch
Leather: Dyed through grain leather from cattle, with an embossed and pigmented surface.

Leg:
Leg: Aluminum, Clear polyurethane/acrylic lacquer
Foot: Polypropylene

jack_squat
May 7, 2007
Don't expect much.
Oh my god someone stop me from paying $3000+ dollars for an American Leather sofa. I really want a good sleeper sofa and am willing to blow my entire furniture budget (for the time being) on quality.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

jack_squat posted:

Oh my god someone stop me from paying $3000+ dollars for an American Leather sofa. I really want a good sleeper sofa and am willing to blow my entire furniture budget (for the time being) on quality.
This does not exist. They are, at best, mediocre sofas and mediocre beds. Sleeping on a good sofa is way more comfortable than sleeping on a rolled-out sleeper sofa.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
So I'm renting out my second bedroom in my (rented) apartment to some guy I found on CL. It's totally normal and expected that I would ask for a deposit from him right, even though I don't own the apartment? How much do I ask for? A months rent? Some other arbitrary number?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

So I'm renting out my second bedroom in my (rented) apartment to some guy I found on CL. It's totally normal and expected that I would ask for a deposit from him right, even though I don't own the apartment? How much do I ask for? A months rent? Some other arbitrary number?
One month's rent is pretty standard.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is he being added to your lease? (He really should be by the way) If so, it should be half of whatever your deposit with the land lord is. Because once your lease is done, everyone on the lease is entitled to the security deposit.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
We don't seem to have an antique furniture thread. Does anyone reading this have experience with it? I need advice with (appraisal of) an antique, crazy looking chair.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Curious because I can't find a straight answer anywhere else, but does anyone know if Ikea will let me purchase something in store (a mattress and frame in this case) and then pick it up at a later date and time?

rt_hat
Aug 3, 2003
YARRRR
I would assume so, most stores slap a "On hold, for pickup" note on it and you show proof of purchase when you come to grab it.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Anyone have tips for moving in the city of Philadelphia? I unexpectedly need to move and am looking to find a place for a November 1 move date. This appears to be a terrible time to move as the listings are sparse. I haven't moved in this area in 3 years and it looks like either rent has either gone up considerably in that time or it is a side effect of the seemingly poor selection that is around right now.

This will be my 4th apartment in the city, but apparently I am terrible at finding places since I had to sue (and won) against my first landlord, 2nd place was ok except for the fact that my girlfriend was mugged on my porch. Would like to avoid any similar sort of circumstances while not going broke or settling for something bad just because of this short window.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
A lease I signed on to a couple of months ago is not really what I had in mind in terms of interpersonal relationships with the roomies and stuff like that. I was wondering if and how possible it is to sell the lease out from under myself, like find a different tenant willing to pay the rent and so forth, or even better, someone who would be willing to swap a single bedroom apartment for my situation or something. Is this done in civilized society?

I have a pretty sweet deal, my house is in a great neighborhood, 2 minutes on foot to the grocery store, on a major bus line, I have a pretty healthily sized master bedroom and a huge bathroom, the roommates are essentially clean and sociable. Problem is, I have no idea how amenable to something like that the average landlord is, and where to even post something like this. Also, the timing of my lease is pretty good, so it would be best if I could also buy my way INTO a lease in a similar way, so that I can take over for someone who's a couple of months into a 12 month lease or something like that.

So, where would I go to look for something like this, and what do you think my chances are of convincing my landlady to go through with it?

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
Your best bet is to ask your landlady and include the fact you're willing to scout out potential replacements on your own time.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Assuming you're in a college-town or somesuch, I would think you could post on any of a variety of local newspapers/websites (craigslist, etc) and be honest about your situation: you are living with other people who are nice enough folks, but just aren't really your type, and you are looking for someone to trade rooms. I would be specific, i.e. you are social and you are living with three bookworms, and are looking for someone in the opposite situation to trade.

From a legal/contract standpoint, there are two ways to look at it: the first is that you are locked into a lease and need to fulfill your obligation; the second is that it is probably in everyone's best interest (yours, your roommates, your landlord's) that there are happy people all around - and swapping you out with someone equally qualified is a good move all around.

I'd open a dialogue with your roommates to see if whatever the issue is can be solved. If not, talk to your landlord and lay out the situation. If they want something reasonable, see if you can work with it.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I am possibly moving from Atlanta to Seattle in the near future (I'm in the final round of interviews with a company there) and I need to know if there is a reputable cross country moving service? Can anyone give me advice about how to move my entire life from Atlanta to Washington? We have two cars, two cats, and a whole bunch of furniture. What is the most cost effective or easiest solution to this? The company will give me a relocation package (well, if they don't I'm not taking the job anyway because gently caress moving 3000 miles on my own dime when they came to me with the job in the first place) though I don't know how much it would theoretically be. I've never moved this far before and my only moving experiences have been a four hour trip from college town to Atlanta suburb and then a 25 mile move from Atlanta suburb to the city itself. Can any of you fine people help me out?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

HonorableTB posted:

I am possibly moving from Atlanta to Seattle in the near future (I'm in the final round of interviews with a company there) and I need to know if there is a reputable cross country moving service? Can anyone give me advice about how to move my entire life from Atlanta to Washington? We have two cars, two cats, and a whole bunch of furniture. What is the most cost effective or easiest solution to this? The company will give me a relocation package (well, if they don't I'm not taking the job anyway because gently caress moving 3000 miles on my own dime when they came to me with the job in the first place) though I don't know how much it would theoretically be. I've never moved this far before and my only moving experiences have been a four hour trip from college town to Atlanta suburb and then a 25 mile move from Atlanta suburb to the city itself. Can any of you fine people help me out?

If it's Amazon/huge tech company up there, we just got them to arrange it for us. The companies they use have done well by us.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Rurutia posted:

If it's Amazon/huge tech company up there, we just got them to arrange it for us. The companies they use have done well by us.

It is indeed with Amazon.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Anybody have experience hiring a house cleaner? I was given a recommendation from a friend for a college student she uses, but I'm wondering if there's a compelling reason to go with a cleaning company instead of an individual person. I like the idea that I can probably ask the individual to use my vacuum instead of their own, as I've heard too many horror stories of cross contamination of fleas and such. I doubt a cleaning company wants to use anything but their fancy backpack models.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Erwin posted:

Anybody have experience hiring a house cleaner? I was given a recommendation from a friend for a college student she uses, but I'm wondering if there's a compelling reason to go with a cleaning company instead of an individual person. I like the idea that I can probably ask the individual to use my vacuum instead of their own, as I've heard too many horror stories of cross contamination of fleas and such. I doubt a cleaning company wants to use anything but their fancy backpack models.

We hired an independent house cleaner based on many recommendations of someone who'd been using them for a long time. They really go above and beyond, they use our leather conditioners, carpet cleaners, etc at our request. They're also really flexible and I love that I'm dealing with people vs a company.

I do want to say though that usually in these cases you are paying under the table. It was never said, but from the requests for cash and low prices I'm assuming that's what's going on.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

HonorableTB posted:

We have two cats
Are you going to drive or fly from Atlanta to Seattle? If you're flying, I believe animals are classified as cargo and there are many horror stories out there about pets dying in transit. :ohdear:

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

ladyweapon posted:

Are you going to drive or fly from Atlanta to Seattle? If you're flying, I believe animals are classified as cargo and there are many horror stories out there about pets dying in transit. :ohdear:

Cats are (usually) small enough that depending on the airline you might be able to travel with them in the cabin in a kennel. Here's United's rules, for example: http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/animals/in_cabin.aspx

Flying with them in the cargo area should be an absolute last resort, though, as there are a lot of horror stories and they're not exactly strange and unlikely outliers.

It would be a hellishly long road trip, though.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

We flew from Atlanta to Boston using (I think) Delta, and both our cats traveled with us in the cabin. We had special soft airplane-approved carriers, and they went under the seat in front of us. In addition to the fee, there was some sort of limit on the number of animals permitted in the cabin, so we had to book our flights and then call and say we were bringing pets - if we had just turned up with them, there would be a chance there were already too many booked animals and they would have had to ride in cargo.

The cats weren't happy on the flight, but honestly the worst part of it was getting through security. You have to remove your cat from the carrier so that can go through the x-ray, and carry your cat through the metal detector/screener. Thankfully the TSA did not opt to subject the cats to additional screening, because I am sure that would have ended badly.

Edit: As a mostly unrelated headsup, pay attention to the rules regarding an employer-organized move. There are people in the office worker thread who had their company provide relocation, but it came with a clause that they had to repay the costs if they left within 1-3yrs. Those costs were usually some crazy amount, double or triple what it would have been to just hire movers. So watch out.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Ashcans posted:

Edit: As a mostly unrelated headsup, pay attention to the rules regarding an employer-organized move. There are people in the office worker thread who had their company provide relocation, but it came with a clause that they had to repay the costs if they left within 1-3yrs. Those costs were usually some crazy amount, double or triple what it would have been to just hire movers. So watch out.

Yeah, at Amazon it's a 1 yr contract that also applies to your signing bonus. If you decide to work at Amazon, you should do it for at least a year because your signing bonus will be substantial. If the other offer you're getting offsets that, then well, you shouldn't have a problem paying a few k extra for your relocation costs.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Rurutia posted:

Yeah, at Amazon it's a 1 yr contract that also applies to your signing bonus. If you decide to work at Amazon, you should do it for at least a year because your signing bonus will be substantial. If the other offer you're getting offsets that, then well, you shouldn't have a problem paying a few k extra for your relocation costs.

Believe me, if I'm moving across the entire loving continent I am not leaving or moving again for A LONG, LONG TIME. And signing bonus? Jesus I never thought I'd ever have a shot at something like that. I always kind of mentally reserved that for doctors, lawyers, and executives.

I grew up poor, can't you tell

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Erwin posted:

My experience has been that you can pay somebody $20/hour directly, or hire a cleaning company for $50/hour, and they will pay someone $8/hour to come and clean your house, then spend $42 on advertising, insurance, and office space.

I am looking for a long-term relationship in a house cleaner, a college kid will want a real job in 6 months and you are on the hunt again.

If you have some kind of shared vacuum cleaner fear, I have never had a cleaning lady that had any objection to using whatever I wanted, regardless of whether or not it made any sense or not.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

HonorableTB posted:

Believe me, if I'm moving across the entire loving continent I am not leaving or moving again for A LONG, LONG TIME. And signing bonus? Jesus I never thought I'd ever have a shot at something like that. I always kind of mentally reserved that for doctors, lawyers, and executives.

I grew up poor, can't you tell

Please read the negotiating salary thread in BFC. Tech companies love people who grew up poor and don't know what they are worth :shobon:

Parasara
Sep 17, 2014

Next time I see that woman, I'm shooting her, and not in the knee.
I am at the last stage of an interview process for a job in the far north (I'm currently in the deep south) of the US. While I'm in the state for the interview I'd like to take a look at apartments. I've gotten a list of complexes down that I'd like to check out and called around to check basic availability/amenities, so the next step is physically checking out the complexes. What are some of the generally agreed upon big red "dont rent here" flags I should be looking for during the walk through?

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Uh cockroaches, lovely flooring, leaks under the sinks, toilets that flush weakly, lovely water pressure, wrong color curtains, lack of rafters to hang your sex swi---- basically whatever the hell you want dude, people like different stuff about different places.

Check the cupboards for signs of vermin, look under the sink, check the water pressure, and if you're me you will see how many outlets are in each room. Make sure the lease looks like it was written by a landlord and not Satan himself. Talk a walk in the neighborhood at night. If you're in the far north, check out window frames and look for signs of condensation on the sills/walls. If you want to go full sperg, look up the previous winters energy bills.

If you happen to see a potential neighbor ask them what they think of the management.

Parasara
Sep 17, 2014

Next time I see that woman, I'm shooting her, and not in the knee.

Trilineatus posted:

If you're in the far north, check out window frames and look for signs of condensation on the sills/walls.

Thats the kind of stuff I dont know a single thing about. I've lived in non-snow/non-cold places my entire life, so things like needing to worry about heat and not leaving your car out in snow are totally alien to me.

IdeoPhanthus
Oct 22, 2004

photomikey posted:

My experience has been that you can pay somebody $20/hour directly, or hire a cleaning company for $50/hour, and they will pay someone $8/hour to come and clean your house, then spend $42 on advertising, insurance, and office space.
...or for getting their car detailed every other day.

I work for a cleaning company, and while it's mostly commercial places, I know that the one time we cleaned the tar off the walls/cupboards/etc in a smoker's house the boss charged $30 per hour per person (we make $9-11/hr depending on the person). But regardless, the client always specifies what they want done, and if they want their own stuff used, and the boss writes all that down & passes it along to whoever is on that job. One of my coworkers had clients on the side (where she charged $20/hr & it was just her) and she did the same. If someone had requests, she'd write them down. I'm sure it's like that pretty much anywhere.

Parasara posted:

I am at the last stage of an interview process for a job in the far north (I'm currently in the deep south) of the US. While I'm in the state for the interview I'd like to take a look at apartments. I've gotten a list of complexes down that I'd like to check out and called around to check basic availability/amenities, so the next step is physically checking out the complexes. What are some of the generally agreed upon big red "dont rent here" flags I should be looking for during the walk through?

I remember from an old thread, someone mentioned to always make sure that the unit you're being shown is the actual unit you'd be renting...not just a "show" unit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Check the circuit breakers.

I didn't find the place I'm in now (moved in with friends), but it was an unpleasant surprise discovering that my bedroom and another bedroom are on the same 20-amp circuit.