Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Afro posted:

Considering that's where you get the chalices in the first place, yes, he probably also missed the Trouple King.

Go back right now and get the chalices in the basement from the first village, then go to that place on the map directly across Pridemoore Keep.

I think I got the chalice later in the game, but never went back to that swamp place. I just beat the final boss though, so I think I'm going to take a break for a little while. Is it really a huge part of the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Velius posted:

I have a fairly specific question: I have a three year old, and I'm pretty tired of in app purchases and ads and the like. What's the usability of the wii u for kids, especially little ones?

There's also a number of games, either in major titles or in smaller e-shop releases, that should make for simple but good play. Even if they can't handle the various Mario titles, they might be able to play, say, Angry Birds or Scribblenauts. Honestly anything that would use touch screen controls would be fairly intuitive even for a young child to get, though you'd have to make sure they don't poke too hard or the like. Beyond that, wide array of bright and colourful games across a variety of genres, so you should be able to find something.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Austrian mook posted:

I think I got the chalice later in the game, but never went back to that swamp place. I just beat the final boss though, so I think I'm going to take a break for a little while. Is it really a huge part of the game?

Well, not going there makes the game about three times more difficult (not that it's super hard anyway)...

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

Austrian mook posted:

It's storable health/invincibility potions that you can buy. You made the game a bit harder on yourself so... take pride in your shovel knight skills, I guess.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Gaffle posted:

It's storable health/invincibility potions that you can buy. You made the game a bit harder on yourself so... take pride in your shovel knight skills, I guess.

Oh, I wouldn't have used those anyways. I never do in Megaman games and the like.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit
Well since you're a big baby that won't just do it I'll spoil it in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2q7KIOGaMw

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Afro posted:

Well since you're a big baby that won't just do it I'll spoil it in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2q7KIOGaMw

that's awesome

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Velius posted:

I have a fairly specific question: I have a three year old, and I'm pretty tired of in app purchases and ads and the like. What's the usability of the wii u for kids, especially little ones?

ImpAtom posted:

It's quite good. I play it with my little cousins frequently and there are no games which are really feature-incomplete.

Astro Nut posted:

There's also a number of games, either in major titles or in smaller e-shop releases, that should make for simple but good play. Even if they can't handle the various Mario titles, they might be able to play, say, Angry Birds or Scribblenauts. Honestly anything that would use touch screen controls would be fairly intuitive even for a young child to get, though you'd have to make sure they don't poke too hard or the like. Beyond that, wide array of bright and colourful games across a variety of genres, so you should be able to find something.

Astro Nut and ImpAtom basically nailed it here, but wanted to say you probably would want to grab a screen protector for the Gamepad if you hadn't (you can get a pack for a couple bucks). There's the usual games geared towards kids on disk, but you could also probably find some good things on the eShop. Also there are a number of party games/minigame collections on the Wii U, and it seems like those minigames should be simple enough for a kid to pick up.

Also, it might be worthwhile to note most Wii U games can be played directly on the Gamepad so it can be used like a handheld in your home (I think the effective range is something like 25 ft from the Wii U?).

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

Astro7x posted:

I found New Play Control Pikmin 2 for $30 at a local used game shop. I'm guessing this was a good deal considering I couldn't find it anywhere until now?

I think the guy at my local game shop was confused because a few months ago he told me that I could order copies of both NPC Pikmin games for $36. It took a few weeks but eventually they came in and i was a happy camper. The next time i went in there were signs saying that they were looking for copies and they were paying $28 for EACH game, so i definitely don't think i was supposed to get that deal.

I was interested in them after playing Pikmin 3 and they scratch that itch but are a million times less polished. It was really an eye opener into what a quality game Pikmin 3 was.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Velius posted:

Teach your kid good gaming habits early. Buy him the classics on the virtual console, and also get him Mario Kart 8, and lead him towards a brighter gaming future.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

mabels big day posted:

Teach your kid good gaming habits early.

Yeah, don't let him play video games :v:

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

JordanKai posted:

November for the Zelda DLC, May for the Animal Crossing DLC.

I'm really excited, but personally I'm also keeping my fingers crossed for future Kirby DLC! :dance:

:stare: I never realized what my life was missing until this post, and now I need Kirby DLC for MK8 in my life.

...and it reminds me I haven't played Air Ride in quite some time.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm glad you like it! MMX is simply incredible. It's perfect a perfect video game (I ignore all the idiots who bitch about having to repeat one level).

I don't even remember this. Which level do you happen to repeat, again?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nickoten posted:

Boomerang Kuwanger has a heart tank which requires his weapon to get.

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

Nickoten posted:

He's referring to collecting all the powerups and life upgrades. There is an upgrade in chill penguin that requires flame mammoth's weapon, and an upgrade in flame mammoth that requires the boots from chill penguin.

E:

ImpAtom posted:

Boomerang Kuwanger has a heart tank which requires his weapon to get.

I believe you can get that one using charged shotgun ice, but the boomerang is easier, yeah.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm glad you like it! MMX is simply incredible. It's perfect a perfect video game (I ignore all the idiots who bitch about having to repeat one level).

My only complaint is the heart container in Spark Mandrill's stage. I seriously spent 10 minutes of just getting more and more frustrated until finally I made the wall dash jump.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fremry posted:

My only complaint is the heart container in Spark Mandrill's stage. I seriously spent 10 minutes of just getting more and more frustrated until finally I made the wall dash jump.

You can use the boomerang for that.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

You can use the boomerang for that.

How? I couldn't figure it out.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Boomerang goes up/down depending on how Mega Man is moving. If you're jumping up, it'll arc up, if you're falling/sliding down the wall it'll go down.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Artix posted:

Boomerang goes up/down depending on how Mega Man is moving. If you're jumping up, it'll arc up, if you're falling/sliding down the wall it'll go down.

I get that, but the tank is out of frame when you're on the ground, and the boomerang goes off screen when you're on the wall.

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

Fremry posted:

I get that, but the tank is out of frame when you're on the ground, and the boomerang goes off screen when you're on the wall.

If it's any consolation I think that the janky wall-dash-jump is the easier way to do it, especially because I always do Spark Mandrill before I have the boomerang.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Wildtortilla posted:

Once? Pff, you have to repeat Armored Armadillo's stage at least 5 times. :colbert:

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Not a huge deal for me, because I don't like the game, but in case anyone is interested:

Joystiq.com posted:

Microsoft confirms acquisition of Minecraft studio Mojang

Microsoft announced it's bought Minecraft studio Mojang for a deal worth $2.5 billion. The buyout will see Mojang founders Markus "Notch" Persson, Carl Manneh and Jakob Porser leave the Swedish studio. Both companies confirmed the acquisition this morning, with Head of Xbox Phil Spencer noting Microsoft's "long seen the potential of Minecraft."

"At Microsoft, we believe in the power of content to unite people," Spencer wrote on Xbox Wire. "Minecraft adds diversity to our game portfolio and helps us reach new gamers across multiple platforms. Gaming is the top activity across devices and we see great potential to continue to grow the Minecraft community and nurture the franchise.

"That is why we plan to continue to make Minecraft available across platforms – including iOS, Android and PlayStation, in addition to Xbox and PC."

Full story here

So, that puts the possibility of a Wii U port of Minecraft squarely in the realm of... nobody has any idea.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Fremry posted:

So, that puts the possibility of a Wii U port of Minecraft squarely in the realm of... nobody has any idea.
I think it's the same it's always been: Zero.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Fremry posted:

Not a huge deal for me, because I don't like the game, but in case anyone is interested:

Full story here

This would probably be a bigger deal if it weren't already on most of it's major competitors platforms.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Argue posted:

Once? Pff, you have to repeat Armored Armadillo's stage at least 5 times. :colbert:

It's okay cause the music there is awesome.

:colbert:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You only have to go back to armored armadillo once for the hadouken. You do have to die five times though. The only stage you have to backtrack to is Chill Penguin in order to get his heart container you need flame mammoths weapon. If you were to do flame mammoths stage first to get it, you would miss the sub tank and arm upgrades because you need the boot and helmet upgrades.

Boomer Kuwanger heart is obtainable with only the boots. You don't need a boomerang or ice sled to reach it.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Wildtortilla posted:

It's okay cause the music there is awesome.

:colbert:

Psh, it's got nothing on Storm Eagle's stage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL6AHHWZA6U

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

greatn posted:

Boomer Kuwanger heart is obtainable with only the boots. You don't need a boomerang or ice sled to reach it.

Thank you for saying this because nobody believes me when I say this is possible to thebpoint where I started to doubt it myself.

On the other hand, I never even thought to wall jump for the container in Spark Mandrill's stage. The boomerang just came naturally. You don't have jump to steer it though, just hold up or down as you throw it.

The way I would always do the game as a kid once I got good at it was that I'd get the boots in Chill Penguin's area and then immediately suicide, after that I'd start with Boomer Kuwanger as I felt like that made for the least backtracking overall.

IIRC this reduces it to just going to the beginning of Sting Chameleon's stage after beating Launch Octopus for the flooded area near the start.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

So here's a glitch, if I open "MarioKart TV" in MK8, it now stops working and tells me my USB storage is bad. Is this a known issue with a fix? Is there some data I can delete that's not my race/unlock data?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I believe this deserves a crosspost here:

An amazing glitch has been found in Hyrule Warriors

You can swap movesets between characters. Nintendo, if there ever was a glitch that you shouldn't patch, this is loving it :allears:.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Amppelix posted:

I believe this deserves a crosspost here:

An amazing glitch has been found in Hyrule Warriors

You can swap movesets between characters. Nintendo, if there ever was a glitch that you shouldn't patch, this is loving it :allears:.

Fix up the faces so it looks natural and make it a feature, Nintendo!

DO IT.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I refuse to download any patches for Hyrule Warriors if this is on disc. :argh:

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Okay, one more question: what is the actual interface on the controller when someone else is playing something? I will probably have an 8 and 9 year old over periodically who are semi behaviorally challenged and it seems probable they'll need to take breaks and have alone time. What do they do on their own and are you able to restrict things if needed?

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Velius posted:

Ive got a 4 year old, we got him a wiiu for his birthday and he loves it. Setup some parentel controls to stop them from accidentally buying stuff or changing system options, show em how it works and just let him mess with it. We just dont let him change games on his own because hes not clean or gentle enough with discs yet. If youre not opposed to nintendos digital distribution like i am its even easier cause they can just pick from any of the games easily from the main menu. The touch screen on the gamepad makes everything very accessible for kids, plus so far most of the games we have for him can be played on gamepad only so you can still watch TV or whatever.

The WiiU is a great console for children.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Kly posted:

The WiiU is a great console for children.
There's even that neat feature that cuts the game off the screen if your child wanders too far from the living room! :v:

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Are you talking about when the gamepad is too far from the wiiu and it loses connection? That IS kind of annoying since my son cant play from his room but it works in our room because its right above the room with wii. The range on it is pretty good, but is blocked easily. It works just fine staying on the same floor as the wii in most of the house though.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
Is there any news or precedent for the preorder Hyrule Warriors skins eventually becoming DLC?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Kly posted:

Are you talking about when the gamepad is too far from the wiiu and it loses connection? That IS kind of annoying since my son cant play from his room but it works in our room because its right above the room with wii. The range on it is pretty good, but is blocked easily. It works just fine staying on the same floor as the wii in most of the house though.

The idea is so you can monitor what he's doing at all times to make sure he hasn't done anything you don't want him to. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Oh, i get it now. Honestly im not really sure what he could do with it that id need to worry about that. I have the parental lock on drat near everything. I think the worst he could do is delete his saves (which he knows not to do now after a night of tears when he deleted his mario save in "bowser land") and maybe watch a youtube video with some foul language that got past the safe search.

edit; Miiverse also seems like a pretty cool mostly safe kind of Junior internet thing i think he could probably play around with when hes a bit older.

Kly fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 15, 2014

• Locked thread