Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Welp, it was fun while it lasted! Thanks for all the fish, Mojang & Notch <3

No idea how I will vent my :spergin: in future though. Hopefully the PC version and the modding scene won't get completely get annihilated by the acquisition.

Could not stop working on the cathedral yet, so I made kind of a variation with more belltowers and whistles.

More screenies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

MikeJF posted:

If nothing else, they could probably expand the XBLA Minecraft codebase, which is apparently from a programming perspective Minecraft 1 but put together properly.

Actually if they do this and bring the XBLA texture packs to PC Minecraft, that'd be great, since those packs are really, really good.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Who knows, maybe they'll go balls-deep and build an Everquest Landmark competitor as Minecraft 2.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Microsoft would be smart to buy up 4J Studios also and combine Mojang and 4J the way they ported Minecraft is probably one of the best PC to Console ports I've ever seen, particularly with two very very different code bases.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Disappointing Pie posted:

It happened.

https://mojang.com/2014/09/yes-were-being-bought-by-microsoft/

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/15/6151477/microsoft-minecraft-mojang-acquisition

Uhhh, so did anyone read the contracts before they signed, there is a poo poo ton of I don't know what's going to happen in there.

That's what I was thinking. It essentially boils down to 'We have no idea what's going to happen with regards to anything but I'm sure it'll all work out fine' :psyduck:

I really don't get these people.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Uhhh, so did anyone read the contracts before they signed, there is a poo poo ton of I don't know what's going to happen in there.

There's a poo poo-ton of I don't know because the contracts are that microsoft owns their poo poo. Microsoft can do anything they want with it.

However, in microsoft's press release:

quote:

Microsoft expects the acquisition to be break-even in FY15 on a GAAP basis.
Prepare your anus for the cash-shop / paid DLC / $40 Minecraft 2 / whatever the gently caress else they plan to do to make back 2 billion dollars in less than two years.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
It seems like the most likely scenario is that Minecraft "Classic" development will cease, either immediately or with 1.9, and then MS will put out Minecraft 2. Then there are two possibilities:
1) MS doesn't do anything to stop people from playing the original game.
2) They do, but are ultimately unsuccessful because people will find a way to run it.

Even if the first one occurs, and MS gives Mojang's servers an expiration date, someone will probably develop a utility that mimics the responses of the current Mojang servers and then with a simple edit of your hosts file you'll be able to play MC Classic like nothing happened. (edit: and an installer that changes the hosts file for people who don't know how to do it themselves)

What I'm saying is, make MultiMC profiles for the versions you care about ASAP.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well I guess I'd best start looking for the next minecraft then, rip in peace mojang.

Also notch is a buttlord.

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
What cracks me up most about Notch's post is that he nearly promises to drop any project immediately if it begins to "gain traction." Really?

Is there anything out there that comes close to capturing the look and feel of Minecraft? Perhaps one of the major modding packs will break off and make a clone.

a helpful bear fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 15, 2014

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm really not able to have sympathy for the richest Swede in the universe bloo blooing about the pressure of his lack of need to work.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Fortis posted:

It seems like the most likely scenario is that Minecraft "Classic" development will cease, either immediately or with 1.9, and then MS will put out Minecraft 2. Then there are two possibilities:
2) They do, but are ultimately unsuccessful because people will find a way to run it.

Even if the first one occurs, and MS gives Mojang's servers an expiration date, someone will probably develop a utility that mimics the responses of the current Mojang servers and then with a simple edit of your hosts file you'll be able to play MC Classic like nothing happened. (edit: and an installer that changes the hosts file for people who don't know how to do it themselves)

I doubt the timing of the announcement was coincidental. Very likely 1.8 was the final version of Minecraft.

OwlFancier posted:

That's what I was thinking. It essentially boils down to 'We have no idea what's going to happen with regards to anything but I'm sure it'll all work out fine' :psyduck:

I really don't get these people.

What's not to get? Notch wants to never have to think about Minecraft again for the rest of his life and couldn't care less what happens to it after that.

The only involvement Notch likely had with that little Q&A that bears his name and carries on about how important the community is to him is looking it over and thumbs-upping it after Microsoft's PR/legal team wrote it.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Fortis posted:

This is the worst case scenario, for distribution/development to have to resort to piracy or a state of questionable legality would be a death sentence for the original game.

The Minecraft modding community is pretty talented. Minetest needs a lot of polish but serves as a pretty good safety net right now.

babies havin rabies fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Sep 15, 2014

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Haha what a loving hypocrite considering his whole shitfest regarding the Oculus buyout. What a fat loving hypocrite.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

What's not to get? Notch wants to never have to think about Minecraft again for the rest of his life and couldn't care less what happens to it after that.

The only involvement Notch likely had with that little Q&A that bears his name and carries on about how important the community is to him is looking it over and thumbs-upping it after Microsoft's PR/legal team wrote it.

I don't get how if that's the issue, he had to sell the company.

If he's the majority shareholder he could literally just give his shares to the rest of the people who work there and give himself a big payoff bonus.

If it isn't about the money, he doesn't have to sell the company for 2.5 billion dollars and probably ruin the product for the millions of people who own it who he supposedly 'loves'.

I mean, I entirely believe it's a load of bollocks but one could at least make a more credible attempt at bullshitting.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

It's not of course. Once Notch made up his mind that he was over Minecraft, it was just a matter of shopping around for the highest bidder, same as you or I would.

I'd expect that while 1.8 is probably the last official release, Microsoft certainly will be releasing various DLC and microtransactions for it to make some money while they're developing Minecraft 2 (which they'll doubtless aim to release just before Christmas shopping season 2015).

Once Minecraft 2 is out, Fortis's scenario (Microsoft does everything it can to prevent people from playing Minecraft 1) is fairly likely.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 15, 2014

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug

Knifegrab posted:

Haha what a loving hypocrite considering his whole shitfest regarding the Oculus buyout. What a fat loving hypocrite.

Also, a billionaire.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Smoking_Dragon posted:

Also, a billionaire.

Yup, I love how much people are lapping up his pity party. "I am leaving for my own sanity, not for money." *Leaves immediately after buyout, not before*.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

If he's the majority shareholder he could literally just give his shares to the rest of the people who work there and give himself a big payoff bonus.

If it isn't about the money, he doesn't have to sell the company for 2.5 billion dollars and probably ruin the product for the millions of people who own it who he supposedly 'loves'.

I mean, I entirely believe it's a load of bollocks but one could at least make a more credible attempt at bullshitting.

Yeah, I'd be suprised if he couldn't hand over the company internally for some reason. He saw the dollar signs and decided staying indie pure wasn't worth it.

Which wouldn't be a problem if he wasn't such a hypocrite. At least Oculus sold so they could keep development and not to just make the biggest paycheck of their life.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Apparently Sweden has a 79% tax rate on these kinds of things, so no Notch probably isn't a billionaire, but Sweden is making bank!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Let's try to be fair, though: Notch has spent the last five years taking a lot of poo poo from eight-year-olds and/or sperglords, pretty much all day every day. If in fact he's come to loathe Minecraft and wants to watch it burn, I can't blame him.

Now if that, rather than money, were his primary motivation, he'd have sold it to EA. But Microsoft is the second-best bet to ruin the franchise and bid more, so.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Knifegrab posted:

lol like you wouldn't do the same for 2.5 BILLION dollars.
I'm sure he'll be really upset a few people on the internet think he's a hypocrite when he's on his driving a golden rocketcar around his private island.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's not of course. Once Notch made up his mind that he was over Minecraft, it was just a matter of shopping around for the highest bidder, same as you or I would.

I like to believe I'm not quite enough of a manchild to throw everyone I worked with and everyone who made me a millionaire under the bus because I was having a midlife crisis about being too rich and popular.

But maybe I can't understand the pressure of being overwhelmingly lauded as a paragon of indie development and making one of the most universally popular things since the Wii.

Woe is me I guess.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

He wanted out... I think that part is true, he is being honest. But once decided that, he used the most profitable way to get out, itwas to sell the company to the highest bidder. So greed was also part of the execution of how to get out.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
2.5 billion is a gently caress ton of money

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Apparently Sweden has a 79% tax rate on these kinds of things, so no Notch probably isn't a billionaire, but Sweden is making bank!

lol yeah I'm sure Notch is paying the nominal tax rate on that

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Spalec posted:

lol like you wouldn't do the same for 2.5 BILLION dollars.
I'm sure he'll be really upset a few people on the internet think he's a hypocrite when he's on his driving a golden rocketcar around his private island.

Of course I would but I wouldn't even pretend like I care about these things, like Notch has. Just so you know, defending Notch's e-honor won't get you any of his sweet sell out money.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Notch Sold Out. He could have open-sourced the game and continued to make a gently caress-ton of money from Realms server. Instead he chose to buy in this capitalistic fantasy that there's never enough money and abandon his game and the community to (just about) the most unliked company in computing. gently caress him, and I regret ever playing Minecraft.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

Let's try to be fair, though: Notch has spent the last five years taking a lot of poo poo from eight-year-olds and/or sperglords, pretty much all day every day.

See also: eveyone working in a customer facing role ever.

Would that we all could get paid millions for it.

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
I really wonder if they are actually going to do anything drastic to the game on pc. Would not complain if they remade it in something not-java.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Megafunk posted:

I really wonder if they are actually going to do anything drastic to the game on pc. Would not complain if they remade it in something not-java.

Isn't bad java code part of the charm of the game? I thought that's how it kept that indie cred.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Hacking minecraft for unauthenticated play is the easiest thing, but the downside is that it hurts the server communities a lot. You lose whitelisting and most other good anti-griefing tools if you don't have authenticated names.

He's probably not getting the money in cash, and maybe microsoft threw in a free consultation with their lawyer-accountants on how to keep his money untaxed. They're world-class experts at that subject after all.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Let's try to be fair, though: Notch has spent the last five years taking a lot of poo poo from eight-year-olds and/or sperglords, pretty much all day every day.
When you take poo poo with one hand and piles of money with the other, I have a hard time being sympathetic. And some of that poo poo was deserved and he could have done things to reduce it. I'll reserve my sympathy for the indie devs who take a lot of poo poo but make about one ten-thousandth of the money Notch has cumulatively gotten from eight year olds and sperglords.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Colonel J posted:

Notch Sold Out. He could have open-sourced the game and continued to make a gently caress-ton of money from Realms server. Instead he chose to buy in this capitalistic fantasy that there's never enough money and abandon his game and the community to (just about) the most unliked company in computing. gently caress him, and I regret ever playing Minecraft.

stop caring so much about toys for children

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

Yeah, he's only a millionaire guys c'mon :rolleyes:

So when can I expect to play Minecraft One on the Xbox One All in One Entertainment System?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

But maybe I can't understand the pressure of being overwhelmingly lauded as a paragon of indie development and making one of the most universally popular things since the Wii.
Being the center of attention and being responsible for answering questions and being super popular and feeling like you need to "answer" to people all the time is hard, even for naturally extroverted people who develop projects just to get the attention. Dude wanted out from all that, because it sucks beans. Now he can do his own poo poo with a whole fuckload of money, secure in knowing that he, and anyone he cares about, never has to do anything again for the rest of their lives.

Plus, the people he's upsetting about this are people who get mad about Minecraft. I'd do exactly the same thing in the same situation, and I'd do it for a whole lot less.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
For 2.5 billion I can't blame him. It was more money than he would made 10 years down the road. Hell to get to that number in profits you need a World of Warcraft 15 dollars a month and an expansion every 2 years numbers.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I'm not saying what Notch has done here is in any way honorable. I'm just saying you can kinda-sorta understand.

And realistically there is no way Notch would be able to get away with publicly saying "gently caress you all, I did it for the money" like he's Hulk Hogan. Microsoft would never allow him to do such a thing, for one obvious reason. I'm certain that there are clauses in the contract prohibiting Notch from publicly saying anything related to the transaction that Microsoft doesn't approve of.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

jim truds posted:

Isn't bad java code part of the charm of the game? I thought that's how it kept that indie cred.

Java as the Minecraft runtime is 100% necessary for non-api modding.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Whalley posted:

Plus, the people he's upsetting about this are people who get mad about Minecraft. I'd do exactly the same thing in the same situation, and I'd do it for a whole lot less.

I'm not mad...just disappointed :colbert:

Tiran Dirth
Feb 6, 2014
I could so very much get behind some kind of Valve style way of marketing skins. texture packs and maps where Microsoft and the creators get a cut. I would love a more foolproof way to give a bit of support to people who produce content.

Maybe rose tinted glasses, but I can't see why Microsoft would buy Minecraft now, for that much, unless they plan to support the community (and make money through that). A game that old cannot be shifting that many copies any more, but the thriving community is brilliant for advertising, merchandise and potential micro transactions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011

Antoine Silvere posted:

Yeah, he's only a millionaire guys c'mon :rolleyes:

So when can I expect to play Minecraft One on the Xbox One All in One Entertainment System?

Minecraft two for the xbox two more like