Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

I gotta agree. I got a really cheap Ryobi bandsaw and it's really noticeable that it lacks power. I have to cut any hard wood at an agonizingly slow pace or it just jams. I've tried everything and it's just bad.
Glad I only paid $50 off kijiji for the thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I have a 9" bandsaw that is better than no bandsaw but bigger is better. I only paid $35 for it and it was worth every penny, lol.

On another subject, if someone asked for an urn with a natural look, what would that mean to you?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

wormil posted:

I have a 9" bandsaw that is better than no bandsaw but bigger is better. I only paid $35 for it and it was worth every penny, lol.

On another subject, if someone asked for an urn with a natural look, what would that mean to you?

'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

wormil posted:

Lots of grain and ideally some knots, no stain, one of the less shiny finishes.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

wormil posted:

I would just do a turned vessel with a clear finish.

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

wormil posted:

re: bandsaw, Thanks guys. I guess I'll just hunt craigslist for a few months and see if I can steal one. Not paying full price for something like this: http://www.amazon.com/POWERTEC-BS900-Band-Saw-9-Inch/dp/B00367WB0G/ref=lp_552910_1_4?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1410826135&sr=1-4

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The Grizzly brand bandsaws are generally good quality for your money. They don't make a "cheap and lovely" tier though, which is mostly what you're looking at for sub-$200.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

dhrusis posted:

re: bandsaw, Thanks guys. I guess I'll just hunt craigslist for a few months and see if I can steal one. Not paying full price for something like this: http://www.amazon.com/POWERTEC-BS900-Band-Saw-9-Inch/dp/B00367WB0G/ref=lp_552910_1_4?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1410826135&sr=1-4

You'll probably find a bunch of those older 12" Craftsman saws. Around here they sell for $100-125. They are not great machines but might be usable with a lot of tune up. 9" saws sell like hotcakes around here, usually for too much money. But an older Delta 14" might fit your budget.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Sorry for the double post but I heard back from the urn person.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Lots of grain and ideally some knots, no stain, one of the less shiny finishes.

That is basically their idea as well, sans knots. So basically wood.

mds2 posted:

I would just do a turned vessel with a clear finish.

I would love too but I don't trust my turning skills yet for something that important. My last few attempts have turned out poorly, I need some bowl gouges. I've been using a 3/8" spindle gouge reground and it's not working well inside. Luckily they told me it should be box shaped because it will be interred in a (crypt?) whatever you intern urns in.

The picture she sent me is a basically a rectangle with CNC carving on the front, but otherwise plain. I don't do carving so she suggested some contrasting woods. I'll come up with something.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The Grizzly brand bandsaws are generally good quality for your money. They don't make a "cheap and lovely" tier though, which is mostly what you're looking at for sub-$200.

There are other brands of bandsaws out there that look exactly like the Grizzly one. . . don't get them unless they are a name brand. I forget the Quality hierarchy, but Grizzly is at the top, and if they don't pass their quality control they slap another sticker on it. Also some of the cheaper ones that look the same use lower-end motors and generally have a much cheaper feel to them. It's the same as their table saws and most everything else they make. When I was shopping for a table saw I saw that the Grizzly Polar bear had a bunch of doppelgängers out there, and I managed to get my hands on a King Industrial version that looked EXACTLY like the Grizzly one, it was nowhere near the feel and finish as the Grizzly. Don't cheap out on tools if you can all afford it. My dad had to buy 3 Mitre saws and 2 hammer drills before he learned that lesson.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Blistex posted:

There are other brands of bandsaws out there that look exactly like the Grizzly one. . . don't get them unless they are a name brand. I forget the Quality hierarchy, but Grizzly is at the top, and if they don't pass their quality control they slap another sticker on it. Also some of the cheaper ones that look the same use lower-end motors and generally have a much cheaper feel to them. It's the same as their table saws and most everything else they make. When I was shopping for a table saw I saw that the Grizzly Polar bear had a bunch of doppelgängers out there, and I managed to get my hands on a King Industrial version that looked EXACTLY like the Grizzly one, it was nowhere near the feel and finish as the Grizzly. Don't cheap out on tools if you can all afford it. My dad had to buy 3 Mitre saws and 2 hammer drills before he learned that lesson.

Fun bit:
Almost all Jet, Grizzly, King, Shop Fox, Harbor Freight are all made by the same OEM. You're paying for a better QC check, motor, knobs, paint job, bearings, ect. Same goes for lathes, drill presses, and several other large frame tools.

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...
I want a grizzly bandsaw really bad. Just can't justify the $700+ to make some bandsaw boxen :-)

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

dhrusis posted:

I want a grizzly bandsaw really bad. Just can't justify the $700+ to make some bandsaw boxen :-)

My grizzly bandsaw is easily the most expensive tool in my shop, and I love love LOVE it and don't regret it one bit.

Kidsmoke
May 28, 2006

dhrusis posted:

Recently bought a 12" Craftsman for 50. Had to put new tires, new blade, new belt. An additional $90. Following several guides for band saw tuneup I've been able to get it to cut fairly decent for what I'd expect of it, which is not resawing anything large. Plus taking it apart and cleaning it up has seriously helped in my understanding of band saws. Someday when I upgrade I'll appreciate this old beast.

Wood Goons. How would I go about making something like this? Is it just glued up? No joinery other than glue?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I think so. For wide planks people use biscuits, sometimes. But that would be all glue.

Wood glue is stronger than wood.

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008
You need to be very conscious of the type of wood you use (quartersawn is much better for this) and the grain direction when doing something like that, otherwise it'll warp terribly. Not to mention an even finish, very square glue surfaces... etc. It's worth finding a few good articles on gluing up tabletops, there really is a lot to consider if you want something that will last, especially if you live somewhere with large swings in humidity.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
For woodturning fans in the house, here's a neat video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Kt_kgp1tL8

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Kidsmoke posted:

Wood Goons. How would I go about making something like this? Is it just glued up? No joinery other than glue?

If you have to ask, you're either a few years or a good furniture making course away from actually doing that. Like was mentioned before, a table top like that is pretty much asking to warp and create a comical mess of an eating surface. I've been woodworking for years and would never even think of trying that as I'm sure the first season change would destroy it.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
Eh, part of the reason the thin strips approach is used on that table is precisely so that there's less bowing: there's more glue surface, plus you're ostensibly only using the straightest part of the board for your thin strips. Butcher block doesn't warp as much as large boards, and all that.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I would say they glued it from thin strips so they could resaw the lumber into quartersawn but I can see the end grain is just willy-nilly.

Kidsmoke
May 28, 2006

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking of doing a Maloof round table but I prefer a pedestal base more along the lines of an Eames/Miller table. The table I posted is from Henrybuilt and I was surprised to see a solid wood top on that base. And then I had some beers and thought I'd ask the Goons if I'm missing something in the joinery.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.
Just saw this and thought everyone here could appreciate the craftsmanship of this 200yr old cabinet.

http://themetapicture.com/this-antique-cabinet/

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Tindjin posted:

Just saw this and thought everyone here could appreciate the craftsmanship of this 200yr old cabinet.

http://themetapicture.com/this-antique-cabinet/

I think I saw that when uploading a picture for this thread to imgur. The planning and designing to fit all of that into a package like that without electrical motors, pistons and servos is mindblowing.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
He made a bunch of astoundingly amazing furniture. All if filled with all sorts of hidden compartments.

another great example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53zzt2SVde4

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Roentgen

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008
:psyduck: That is incredible stuff.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I guess this is woodworking, I mean it's made from wood and it's full of wood, and I made it, finally got a roof on it and some basic shelving so I've filled it with firewood and stuff today. It's a pretty lovely shed as things goes I guess and the ground settled more after I put it there so nothing on it is quite square anymore. But I was able to build it for free using 100% leftovers from the house building and it does the job.

Still need some doors.

My cyclone vacuum build is proceeding as well, here's the frame I made along with the main components. Just the basics so far.

I put the cyclone itself in this support frame to make it easier to switch it between containers. Usually you'd just make a hole in the lid and screw it into that. I got a plywood circle that will put on the inside of the lid, then bolts will go through that, the l id and the bottom of the support and force it all together. I might need a gasket, though someone else using this solution claims it seals up real well as is.

Recessed the screws underneath so it won't dig into the lid, will probably put silicone here to make a better seal.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Been wanting to do this for awhile -- make a home for my lathe.

Before

After

Still some cleaning up to do and another workbench to rip out but it's getting better.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

FYI, Menards has Jorgenson CabinetMaster clamps on sale this week. $23-27-30 for 24-36-48" clamps.

You can never have too many clamps!

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

This is an odd question but how would you go about making a table top with various shapes in the pieces (from different woods)?

Do you have to use inlay create wood designs or is it possible to shape entire boards (say in tongue and groove) to have curved sections and other patterns? I know for glued together sections of squares/quadrilaterals (like a bread board) its fine but I don't know if you can do the same with various curves and angles that are not longitudinally aligned.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
loving MDF. Looked at my small table saw sled I had put away, I had leaned it on it's side and the whole base which is made from MDF has gotten bent just from staying that way. Next sled I make will be plywood based.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

MDF is bad stuff. The glue used can be carcinogenic when inhaled after being worked.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Get it hot and the smell will ruin a room for days.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

If it at least be worth using as firewood but nope not even that...

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008
Yea, mdf sees very limited use in my shop/house. It certainly has some great uses, but I'm not really a big fan of formaldehyde. But hey, at least the dust doesn't get everywhere and everywhere it can possibly go through your entire house? Right? :ohdear:

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
Finally done with my sideboard.

Skinny Bins
Jul 30, 2006

Eat lead, Olympic targets!

Sylink posted:

This is an odd question but how would you go about making a table top with various shapes in the pieces (from different woods)?

Do you have to use inlay create wood designs or is it possible to shape entire boards (say in tongue and groove) to have curved sections and other patterns? I know for glued together sections of squares/quadrilaterals (like a bread board) its fine but I don't know if you can do the same with various curves and angles that are not longitudinally aligned.

I'm pretty sure this was posted a while ago, but it shows a process for making cutting boards with curves that I'm pretty sure could be scaled up to a tabletop. I'm not sure if it's the style you're looking for, but maybe it will give you some ideas.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/how-to/video/the-coolest-cutting-board-ever.aspx

Nevermind the ridiculous video production and bad garage band loops, the process is actually quite neat.

Basically, if you want to laminate curved boards together you need to make templates for each side of the joint and cut to those.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Well the cyclone separator works. Unfortunately the camera died so no pics. I'll try and put together a better report later. But I will be rebuilding the vacuum, removing the motor and blower and making new dedicated housings for it and a compartment for filtering air better than what is possible with a vacuum cleaner bag. But suffice to say i cleaned out my whole garage today, last time I got 30 seconds before the bag was full of sawdust.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Very nice. The walnut and cherry have just the right amount of contrast.

wormil fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Sep 22, 2014

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Skinny Bins posted:

I'm pretty sure this was posted a while ago, but it shows a process for making cutting boards with curves that I'm pretty sure could be scaled up to a tabletop. I'm not sure if it's the style you're looking for, but maybe it will give you some ideas.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/how-to/video/the-coolest-cutting-board-ever.aspx

Nevermind the ridiculous video production and bad garage band loops, the process is actually quite neat.

Basically, if you want to laminate curved boards together you need to make templates for each side of the joint and cut to those.

What if you want to do something more like this ?

I realize thats inlay and I dont have an issue with cutting shapes, I am worried about how you would deal with expansion.

Is it possible make a round table of full thickness pieces in that same pattern?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Sylink posted:

What if you want to do something more like this ?

I realize thats inlay and I dont have an issue with cutting shapes, I am worried about how you would deal with expansion.

Is it possible make a round table of full thickness pieces in that same pattern?

You're on the outskirts of my knowledge level but I believe you will be fine except for the center circle which will want to go oval. You'd want quartersawn for sure.