Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It's not even the worst example of games journalism either. The whole games journalism industry (if you can even call it that) is a crooked sham and a massive joke. If they're not being paid in Doritos and Mountain Dews for first review exclusivity, or being fired for giving games that were widely advertised on the site lower scores than expected by the publisher, they're being given a quick shag by people who want better review scores.
I still think that it's POSSIBLE to be a serious professional and work for a video game site, but same as a news "technology expert", you can definitely find a job somewhere writing only the most obvious things that anyone could see.

edit:

Aphrodite posted:

It's a joke review, spergs.
Doesn't change the fact that someone got paid to write it when it could have been copypasted from a post about Destiny on a messageboard anywhere.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Sep 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Pleads posted:

The default setting is friends only. Why would you be "unsettled" that someone on your friends list could join a co-op MMO game with you?

Either way, yes, you can adjust fire team privacy in the menu.

I have a bunch of goons on my list that I added in preparation for D3, plus I was streaming to twitch at the time and didn't really want to play with anyone. (Friend wanted to see how it was.) I tend to only group with people when I want to anyway, much easier to wait until 20 after I'm done the story anyway.

Either way, I unfriended this guy and a bunch of other goons, best to keep my list full of people I actually want to play with.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Aphrodite posted:

What a great joke!

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Jesus christ you people are dense

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It's not even the worst example of games journalism either. The whole games journalism industry (if you can even call it that) is a crooked sham and a massive joke. If they're not being paid in Doritos and Mountain Dews for first review exclusivity, or being fired for giving games that were widely advertised on the site lower scores than expected by the publisher, they're being given a quick shag by people who want better review scores.

Can't tell if parody post. Probably parody post.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

Doesn't change the fact that someone got paid to write it when it could have been copypasted from a post about Destiny on a messageboard anywhere.

They don't get paid by the post, Sanders.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

No poo poo!! And you accuse others of being spergs?

They are obviously getting paid something to write things on a website about video games. Maybe bi-weekly? Maybe weekly?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Vintersorg posted:

No poo poo!! And you accuse others of being spergs?

They are obviously getting paid something to write things on a website about video games. Maybe bi-weekly? Maybe weekly?

Not everyone who writes for lovely game blogs is paid for it.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

If you post on SA from work, you are getting paid to post, there are worse things to be getting paid for

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

This is not unique to Gaming journalism. Millions of people are just totally incompetent at their jobs and they get paid better for it than most regular hard-working people.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I'm glad to see Destiny chat making people as mad as they get when talking about game prices and women in games.

CastDream
Oct 22, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

Is this game review a joke or are game reviews jokes?

Makes you think.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Second Son was fun but wow that's got to be one of the shortest games I've ever played

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Ok, so my wife loved watching me play Last of Us, but she feels utterly hopeless at using the two sticks at once. How do I turn her into a pro with the dualshock? She got through parts of Tomb Raider until she started getting shot at, then it all fell apart. Is there a game we can get that is good for beginners?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

a primate posted:

Ok, so my wife loved watching me play Last of Us, but she feels utterly hopeless at using the two sticks at once. How do I turn her into a pro with the dualshock? She got through parts of Tomb Raider until she started getting shot at, then it all fell apart. Is there a game we can get that is good for beginners?

Get her Minecraft or something like that. You want something that is low stress and doesn't punish failure; dying because she couldn't work the controller is going to make her give up. Portal might be another good one if you've got a decent PC, and you can easily plug a controller into that.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

a primate posted:

Something like PixelJunk Shooter? It's a twin stick shooter (one stick moves the ship, one stick fires), but it's slow-paced and puzzle-based instead of a twitch-shooter. Pretty good for beginners to get used to using two sticks at once, I think.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Crows Turn Off posted:

Something like PixelJunk Shooter? It's a twin stick shooter (one stick moves the ship, one stick fires), but it's slow-paced and puzzle-based instead of a twitch-shooter. Pretty good for beginners to get used to using two sticks at once, I think.

This only works for maybe the first world or two. The game gets pretty hard especially with the bosses.

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

a primate posted:

I had virtually an identical experience when I bought Tomb Raider to try and help my wife get back into gaming, however she took to Don't Starve immediately and for the best part of a week I couldn't even get any play time in myself.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
You guys think teaching people to use dual thumbstick controllers is bad? I tried teaching my mother to use a controller since she does nothing but watch TV every day and has absolutely no hobbies, but she's mildly dyslexic. I have absolutely no idea how to teach someone with dyslexia how to do anything, even someone with a mild case. I'd repeat something several times and she'd forget 30 seconds later, it was super frustrating.

I'll keep trying though, maybe I'll get there one day. She seems to like games and sometimes shows interest in them, but there's the whole problem of her having no idea how to play them. There's a TV show here in Australia called Good Game on the ABC that she watches, so it's not as if I'm just forcing them on her.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
So are we getting a YouTube app anytime soon? The Sharefactory has made it fairly easy to edit/trim clips but I still gotta haul them over to my computer via a USB stick to upload them :(

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
Sony posted a trailer for Shadow Warrior over at their Youtube page. Somehow I completely missed this game on the PC, it seems like it might scratch that serious sam/duke nukem type itch.

Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiZCCE3uo1Q

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Frabba posted:

Sony posted a trailer for Shadow Warrior over at their Youtube page. Somehow I completely missed this game on the PC, it seems like it might scratch that serious sam/duke nukem type itch.
It's a remake of the 90s shooter. Pretty sure it used the same engine as Duke.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

It's a remake of the 90s shooter. Pretty sure it used the same engine as Duke.

Also made by the same people that made Duke 3D.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

MZ posted:

So are we getting a YouTube app anytime soon? The Sharefactory has made it fairly easy to edit/trim clips but I still gotta haul them over to my computer via a USB stick to upload them :(

I think YouTube upload is coming sometime this month?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

cat doter posted:

You guys think teaching people to use dual thumbstick controllers is bad? I tried teaching my mother to use a controller since she does nothing but watch TV every day and has absolutely no hobbies, but she's mildly dyslexic. I have absolutely no idea how to teach someone with dyslexia how to do anything, even someone with a mild case. I'd repeat something several times and she'd forget 30 seconds later, it was super frustrating.

I'll keep trying though, maybe I'll get there one day. She seems to like games and sometimes shows interest in them, but there's the whole problem of her having no idea how to play them. There's a TV show here in Australia called Good Game on the ABC that she watches, so it's not as if I'm just forcing them on her.

I think you mean dementia.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

kri kri posted:

Maybe she kept pressing the wrong Xbox face button.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I think YouTube upload is coming sometime this month?

I think its coming with 2.0 which is supposed to be this month. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

kri kri posted:

Yeah, I was gonna say, never heard of dyslexia causing bad memory, just difficulty learning new concepts.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

This is a legitimate good review, although it could have been paired down to about half the length. People who disagree need to read reviews outside of video games. The problem with Destiny is that it's a video game.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

echronorian posted:

This is a legitimate good review, although it could have been paired down to about half the length. People who disagree need to read reviews outside of video games. The problem with Destiny is that it's a video game.

For reals, that is the first good review of Destiny I've read.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Yeah, I was gonna say, never heard of dyslexia causing bad memory, just difficulty learning new concepts.

Her memory is fine, when I mean "forget" I mean I'll explain something multiple times while telling her what to do, then when I stop telling her what to do she'll be confused. Turns out she was just following my instructions and had absorbed none of it. It's more about learning new concepts, she gets very anxious learning anything new purely from dealing with dyslexia her entire life.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Can you use the gold headset just as a microphone while still having sound come out your sound system?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Usually when people try out FPS shooters, they are pretty clumsy as their brand struggles with how to interpret stuff on the screen and translate that to movement on the controller. But I find that it gets better over time with practice.

I remember when I first played Super Mario 64, I loving struggled to get past the first Bowser stage, and now I can do it without even concentrating.

FoolishLobster
Sep 13, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

Can you use the gold headset just as a microphone while still having sound come out your sound system?

I believe you can by going into the audio settings and switching the output to Chat Only or something like that (not in front of my PS4 right now).

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

FoolishLobster posted:

I believe you can by going into the audio settings and switching the output to Chat Only or something like that (not in front of my PS4 right now).

This poster is correct.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That would be awful though.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

man, resogun is obtuse as gently caress. finally figured out what the gently caress the keepers were. that one series of tiny screen shots is not a good tutorial on saving humans but now the game is so loving good.

Also does sony require "normal" vertical axis as default on all games or something? inverted hasn't been default on any of the 5 games i've played and I feel like it very often is on xbox 360, but maybe my brain is making poo poo up.

Am i that weird? I thought everyone went inverted unless they were flying a plane.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Sep 16, 2014

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Frabba posted:

Yeah, I always wanted to try this game. Glad to see it coming out to PS4...hope it's cheap or free though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've played Resogun a bunch and I'm still not sure why one of the humans always seems to just die in their cage without giving me a chance to save them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

I've played Resogun a bunch and I'm still not sure why one of the humans always seems to just die in their cage without giving me a chance to save them.

you need to surpass secret multiplier numbers to get them alive.
or you shot the red keepers before the green keepers.

I am now an expert because i had to look up "resogun how do i" on google to play the game.

• Locked thread