Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
So I've decided to dive headlong into Eighth Doctor stuff, but I have a problem; I'm not overly fond of Big Finish style radio plays. I've tried listening to them during my commute but I start to zone out and miss things. I'd much rather read Eighth Doc novels, especially since I can focus on them more. Problem is, I never see much discussion of what's good and what's poo poo in this thread. Suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Plavski posted:

He passed the final examination getting a score of 51%, the lowest possible pass rate. Romana got a "triple first", whatever that is.

Given the writers around the programme at the time it'll be based on the Cambridge system - starred first is when you get a first in all your finals, double starred first when you get firsts in everything in Part I and Part II. Presumably the Time Lord degree has a Part III, like Maths and Physics do.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think I erased The Sound of Drums from my memory, but yeah I guess that makes sense.
Is it known whether The Doctor himself is legitimately a Time Lord, or could it just be a self-proclaimed thing?

I feel like this video is relevant here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc4HSf6NKiQ

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Is it known whether The Doctor himself is legitimately a Time Lord, or could it just be a self-proclaimed thing?

I very much doubt that the Doctor, especially recent incarnations, would have taken a false Time Lord title. Even the ones that would have probably would've used a bit of a rip-off title, that's clearly meant to invoke them but isn't their actual term.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bown posted:

So what were Time Lords actually meant to do? Like, what do they study? When they graduate what kind of things do they do with their Time Lord degrees?

Continue the glorious British Galifreyan Empire, obviously.

If I had to guess they studied the properties of time travel and what you can & can't do in a TARDIS. It seems as though by the Doctor's time it's more of a "Uatu the Watcher" sort of thing where you just see how species develop.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

So I've decided to dive headlong into Eighth Doctor stuff, but I have a problem; I'm not overly fond of Big Finish style radio plays. I've tried listening to them during my commute but I start to zone out and miss things. I'd much rather read Eighth Doc novels, especially since I can focus on them more. Problem is, I never see much discussion of what's good and what's poo poo in this thread. Suggestions?

The BBC EDAs are distressingly uneven and the Doctor's characterization is repeatedly infringed upon by amnesia subplots and other sillyness.

That said, anything by Kate Orman or Lawrence Miles is gonna be at leasf READABLE, and oftsn brilliant.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Seems as good a place as any to ask, what's the fluff answer for why the Doctor and his people look human, I was idly skimming this thread and had the thought that I could see a new Who plot where the Doctor is like a gene seed for all humans or something dumb, shower me with fluff answers please.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
He doesn't look human, we look Time-Lord.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

BioMe posted:

Jesus christ how long are you people going to cry about a joke?
Until people stop throwing false-equivalences, insults, and denial at us. Why is it the side pointing out the damaging behavior is always blamed for how long these discussions go on? There's a whole other side, shouting and freaking out. You're one of them. I would't have posted this, for instance, had you not posted your bit of obtuse nastiness. So congratulations on continuing a discussion you don't like.

Somebody said a thing, and people keep asking questions or yelling about the thing. The thing isn't the problem.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

Until people stop throwing false-equivalences, insults, and denial at us. Why is it the side pointing out the damaging behavior is always blamed for how long these discussions go on? There's a whole other side, shouting and freaking out. You're one of them. I would't have posted this, for instance, had you not posted your bit of obtuse nastiness. So congratulations on continuing a discussion you don't like.

Somebody said a thing, and people keep asking questions or yelling about the thing. The thing isn't the problem.

As much as I may agree with the basic message you were originally trying to get across... this? This is you trying to get the last word. It is TEXTBOOK carrying on the argument long past any productive end just so you can 'win'.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Gaz-L posted:

As much as I may agree with the basic message you were originally trying to get across... this? This is you trying to get the last word. It is TEXTBOOK carrying on the argument long past any productive end just so you can 'win'.
The only thing I'm trying to "win" is opening anybody's eyes to the fact that these discussions last as long as they do not because somebody dared make mention of age-old ignorance, but because a subsection of others can't stand to see it be pointed out, and must rage for pages on end.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Basically yeah, "universe is lazy and re-uses stuff".

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

DoctorWhat posted:

The BBC EDAs are distressingly uneven and the Doctor's characterization is repeatedly infringed upon by amnesia subplots and other sillyness.

That said, anything by Kate Orman or Lawrence Miles is gonna be at leasf READABLE, and oftsn brilliant.

You mentioning her has jogged my memory. Is it just me or is the plot of Time of the Doctor lifted straight from Unnatural History? Only with all the interesting bits removed.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Gallifreyan. :colbert:

(I've always liked to think of Gallifrey as a dream of Edwardian Britain, in the same way that the Daleks are a dream of the Nazis, so the Time Lords-as-braying-toffs/the Academy-as-Oxbridge/Eton angle appeals to me.)

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

There's also some weirdly Roman imagery associated with Time Lords.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

david... posted:

Seems as good a place as any to ask, what's the fluff answer for why the Doctor and his people look human, I was idly skimming this thread and had the thought that I could see a new Who plot where the Doctor is like a gene seed for all humans or something dumb, shower me with fluff answers please.

According to Zagreus and The Next Life, Rassilon was a big, frothing racist who tampered with genetic histories across time and space in order to enforce a hominid hegemony.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 15, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

LividLiquid posted:

There's also some weirdly Roman imagery associated with Time Lords.

The British often borrowed from there too during the 19th Century.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

On a whim, I just finished re-watching Day of the Doctor. Still holds up. Much as I am enjoying Capaldi, I still miss Smith. Would love more Hurt. Wish it wasn't going to be such awhile before the Occ/Oxx thread gets that far, because I'm really looking forward to seeing what those crazy kids have to say about Day.

It did re-emphasize to me how much I want 'em to get going on the whole "Is that what I'm supposed to do now, go looking for Gallifrey?" plot. Especially since Eleven goes from that revelation to spending 800 years or so on Trenzalore. Twelve better be working on that with the chalkboard poo poo we've seen so far. I don't need them to necessarily find Gallifrey by the end of the season, but if they don't at least make some progress on that plotline, I'll be pretty aggravated.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Thought this write up/recap was pretty good about some of the Moffat failings. Pretty good observations from two gay fashion bloggers.
http://tomandlorenzo.com/2014/09/doctor-who-listen/

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I'd much rather it be like Quantum Leap, where finding home is the ultimate goal but it never actually happens. Mostly because I know that if it happens during Moffat's run, the payoff will be really poo poo.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Funhilde posted:

Thought this write up/recap was pretty good about some of the Moffat failings. Pretty good observations from two gay fashion bloggers.

quote:

And attention must be paid to both Peter Capaldi and Jenna Coleman, who may just be the best acting duo this show’s seen since the days of Tennant and Tate.

Man, this steak is the best meal I've had since that porridge I had for breakfast

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Unacceptable answer.

DoctorWhat posted:

According to Zagreus and The Next Life, Rassilon was a big, frothing racist who tampered with genetic histories across time and space in order to enforce a hominid hegemony.

This is what I wanted, thank you.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I didn't watch the episode, but based on this thread I'm glad to see that Moffat is still capable of putting out misogynistic, sexist tripe right alongside his usual "story arcs that disappear up their own backside" tripe. :v:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

david... posted:

Unacceptable answer.

It's an answer from the show. :argh:

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

Bown posted:

When is Moffat gonna realise making Clara important in the Doctor's past isn't the same as actually giving her a personality?
I don't think this is intentional, it's just that with the constant push to make the companions more important and proactive, emphasizing their connection to the Doctor more, and Moffat's well-established love of time-fuckery this sort of thing just kinda happens once in a while. It is getting tiresome though.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Pizdec posted:

and Moffat's well-established love of time-fuckery this sort of thing just kinda happens once in a while.

This last happened SIX episodes ago. "Once in a while" = all the drat time

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It's an answer from the show. :argh:

Only the deepest fluff meets my filthy needs.

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001
Is it significant that the Doctor has been wrong in every episode so far? The first he got the robots wrong and made a point of mentioning it, he was wrong about the Dalek, Robin Hood, and now possibly the whole monster thing. I can't recall this happening so much previously, or have I just misremembered and it's been happening with all the recent Doctors? I would swear that others had a lot of times they didn't know but were rarely straight up wrong.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Has it ever been established why The Doctor took such a liking to Earth and hangs out there more often than not? I know he protects anyone he can, but this place seems to have taken a special place in his heart.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Spikeguy posted:

Has it ever been established why The Doctor took such a liking to Earth and hangs out there more often than not? I know he protects anyone he can, but this place seems to have taken a special place in his heart.

In "The Eleventh Hour", he mentions having put a lot of work into the Earth and on at least two occasions he compliments the indomitable nature of humanity. Really, he just loves humans. Possibly because his mother was one. :v:

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Spikeguy posted:

I think its covered in eps between nov 1963 - current day

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Spikeguy posted:

There are a lot of reasons, really, but in my mind, he spent a lot of time there with Susan and his first companions were from there, which is why the Time Lords decided that was the choice planet to exile him. After spending as much time as he did there as Three, it just became his second home, I figure.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Also, the Doctor has clearly made Earthlings the dominant species in the galaxy.

For the past fifty years, he's prevented the extinction of humanity multiple times a year. If other species in the universe with similar potential don't have someone like the Doctor hanging out and taking care of them, there's no way that they'd survive. So every time humanity should be pushed down, he prevents it from happening until you wind up with a giant, universe spanning human empire. One that probably forced all the Sontarans onto reservations and stuff like that. So thanks, Doctor!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Doctor lied, Rutans died.

VBane
Oct 31, 2011
Upon rewatching I am less confused and like the episode more. Missed a lot of the parts where the offhand lines that the spooky stuff could have mundane explanations. I enjoyed the learning why The War Doctor chose that old barn to use The Moment. It was all a bit touching.

As for the doctors insulting of Clara...I am okay with it because its obviously not done with any sense of malice or spite. It comes off as an utter lack of social skills/boundaries in this regeneration, a cluelessness that what he is saying could be insulting. Its not like he's not like that with other characters too, no matter what their gender, he just spends more time with Clara than anyone else so she gets more of it. Hell, he nearly mugged an old homeless man in the first episode :p

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Earth is also pretty populous, when you consider that it has all these humans and like four or five whole civilizations worth of Silurians that keep getting blown up.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

What's good and bad is a pretty easy one. Big Finish is good, and the EDAs are bad.

In all seriousness it does feel like missing out if you don't go with McGann's take on the character.

I've only read one, Reckless Engineering. It was a short while ago and I might dig it up to write too many words about. It was a bit hit and miss. I live in the city where it's set (though it's an alternate universe thing which seems to be a whole arc of the EDAs), so most of my enjoyment could admittedly have sprung from that.

I too would like to hear some recommendations.

Earthworld got a 50th Anniversary reprint so that could be a safe bet.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Funhilde posted:

Yeah, agree. Thought they made some really interesting points. Especially pointing out the inherent creepiness of Clara in the date, continuing it directly after meeting, and very possibly completely changing the course of the younger version of her dates life, and then again after seeing her dates distant relative and finding out information about their possible shared future.

Manipulating the personalities of people close to you through time travel, while in this case not intentional, is still pretty disturbing. It just such a change to the power balance of a relationship. While I doubt it will happen I really do hope that Clara and Rupert do have a discussion about this. It's something I haven't really heard brought up much in time travel Sci-Fi stories. Occasionally it was touched on in the River/Doctor relationship, which was usually the only times that story line was at all interesting but it really is a pretty interesting topic.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Random Stranger posted:

Also, the Doctor has clearly made Earthlings the dominant species in the galaxy.

For the past fifty years, he's prevented the extinction of humanity multiple times a year. If other species in the universe with similar potential don't have someone like the Doctor hanging out and taking care of them, there's no way that they'd survive. So every time humanity should be pushed down, he prevents it from happening until you wind up with a giant, universe spanning human empire. One that probably forced all the Sontarans onto reservations and stuff like that. So thanks, Doctor!

In fairness, other planets are possibly not situated at the cosmic crossroads and don't have Daleks, Cybermen, and whoever else constantly trying to conquer it.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

LividLiquid posted:

You're one of them.

gently caress everyone who uses this tactic to champion their social "cause". Especially when you do this damaging antagonizing nonsense to attack people who disagree with a non-issue (even according to you) in children's TV banter dialogue. You could not make it clearer all you are doing is re-purposing a real issue to win a quick moral high ground to win a petty internet argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Right, I'm flying out to the United States in a couple of days, and given the prospect of spending 19 hours in the air I've decided that this is the perfect time to get some Big Finish in to listen to during the trip.

So what are the goon recommendations? I've already decided that Spare Parts and Davros are a must, what else is particularly good?

• Locked thread