Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Costume Quest is a good game.

Holy poo poo it must be a miserable game to run though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Studio posted:

Yeah man I really like what double fine is doing CQ2 should own too.

they just took Hack n Slash out of Early Access and everyone's favorite reverse engineer, Sockfolder, is screwing around with it. I mean, what did you expect from a game that has memory editors built into it?

e. you'll notice that's a speedrun.tv link. That site/tool just got updated with some :krad: new features, now it can search from multiple lists as well as just checking for certain strings in people's stream title on twitch. Great way to poke around and find something to watch.

e.e. Sockfolder managed to make it so the bad thing that happens to the final boss happened to him instead this is amazing.

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Sep 14, 2014

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Maybe I should run Costume Quest.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Studio posted:

that is not alttp

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Studio posted:

30 seconds later:

Studio is now playing DotaEuro Truck Sim 2

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Sep 14, 2014

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Studio posted:

Maybe I should run Super Time Force Ultra.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

http://speedrun.tv/inkalex/deamonkid

Darksiders race coming up later, if you like speedruns where you skip most of the game, and the parts you do play barely resemble the game anyway, then you'd love Darksiders.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I'm not Laz

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Studio posted:

I'm not Laz

Uyama plays it and so does protongue, who is a pretty big fixture in the Guacameme community

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Sep 14, 2014

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Uyama doesn't speedrun good games either!

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Studio posted:

Uyama doesn't speedrun good games either!

did you just call Metal Slug 3 a not good game?

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Nah that's good game.

I said good games, he can have one.

This is the Homer the Great or 2F09 defense.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Studio posted:

Nah that's good game.

I said good games, he can have one.

This is the Homer the Great or 2F09 defense.

so what you're saying is the stonecutters are the ones behind the cuts for GDQs?

e. wait didn't you say you were one of the people romscout asked about games for sgdq..... do you have rollerskates to coast to work?

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Sep 14, 2014

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

SeXReX posted:

so what you're saying is the stonecutters are the ones behind the cuts for GDQs?

OH poo poo

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Studio posted:

I used to run Costume Quest and yeah I wouldn't call it a fun run.

Problem is that the run is largely consistent and fine and lovely all up until the last couple of bosses who can absolutely screw you sideways for no good reason. Big Bones in particular can just one shot anyone he chooses if he feels like it.

It's a miserable run because it's an easy run for about an hour and then maybe all of it gets pissed away with no control yourself. It's still a largely relaxing run but having it all disappear right at the end gets massively discouraging.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Studio posted:

Maybe I should run Darksiders.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I used to run Costume Quest and yeah I wouldn't call it a fun run.

Problem is that the run is largely consistent and fine and lovely all up until the last couple of bosses who can absolutely screw you sideways for no good reason. Big Bones in particular can just one shot anyone he chooses if he feels like it.

It's a miserable run because it's an easy run for about an hour and then maybe all of it gets pissed away with no control yourself. It's still a largely relaxing run but having it all disappear right at the end gets massively discouraging.

I think I might try a run or two for funsies, but the final boss almost tore me a new one when I was Level 10 and 100%ed.

kill you are self
Jun 17, 2005

pa rum pum pum pum

SeXReX posted:

Tinkering with my ezcap has produced some fun effects

neither of these gifs had any post processing, just straight captured frames.

pls spawn the mystery goomba and report back

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

SeXReX posted:

HeeHee whens rom check fail

Tongith

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

SeXReX posted:

http://speedrun.tv/inkalex/deamonkid

Darksiders race coming up later, if you like speedruns where you skip most of the game, and the parts you do play barely resemble the game anyway, then you'd love Darksiders.

I hate those kinds of runs. Like that glitch-fest Zelda2 run sucks. The zero star Mario 64 run is "ok," but gneerally the gameplay heavy runs are much more entertaining.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
Aw I forgot about the Duck Tales race. :(

Pretty sure I would've been the guy who's stuck in Dracula's castle after an hour though.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Powercrazy posted:

I hate those kinds of runs. Like that glitch-fest Zelda2 run sucks. The zero star Mario 64 run is "ok," but gneerally the gameplay heavy runs are much more entertaining.

Then you should probably just watch dustforce all day forever.

or DKC or super metroid

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

kill you are self posted:

pls spawn the mystery goomba and report back

spawn? ok thats pretty easy he just spawns in the void. not much to report back except that I assume the team was on a tight schedule to make the n64's release

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

SeXReX posted:

Tinkering with my ezcap has produced some fun effects

neither of these gifs had any post processing, just straight captured frames.

this just about sums up my experience trying to get ezcap's to behave

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

this just about sums up my experience trying to get ezcap's to behave

I should make a gif of the weird green poo poo that I have to crop off the bottom of anything I capture with it.

oh yeah every other console I've managed to get in full color but not genesis, even setting it to pal or secam or whatever, nothing.

Could this be a problem with the driver I installed for it? I don't have an optical drive so I couldn't use the CD it came with.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
The best race was Quest 64 at whichever SGDQ that was. That's my controversial speed run opinion

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

SeXReX posted:

I should make a gif of the weird green poo poo that I have to crop off the bottom of anything I capture with it.

oh yeah every other console I've managed to get in full color but not genesis, even setting it to pal or secam or whatever, nothing.

Could this be a problem with the driver I installed for it? I don't have an optical drive so I couldn't use the CD it came with.

The green poo poo is just 0 data in YUV.

There is no one "EZCap". There are about 20 of them on the market, all by different manufacturers.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

SeXReX posted:

There's an easy if nonsensical fix for this that I can't remember the specifics of, it involves switching modes or something and then just switching back.

i think the hotkeys for it were like...home/end/insert or something, have a fiddle. yeah I'm the best at tech support

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

There's an easy if nonsensical fix for this that I can't remember the specifics of, it involves switching modes or something and then just switching back.

i think the hotkeys for it were like...home/end/insert or something, have a fiddle. yeah I'm the best at tech support

yeah, sometimes switch back from pal or secam (it decided which one was in color based on the phases of the moon iirc) it would keep working.

I have a dazzle again now so I'm not too worried about it (gotta get my other dazzle back eventually)

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
secks thanks for bringing up speedrun.tv earlier. I never used it before because ??? (I forget why) but the new features are pretty great and I just used it now to find a cool run.

goatrope
Feb 24, 2007
my ezcap works perfectly but i don't run any console games so it just sits there

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

BloodWulfe posted:

secks thanks for bringing up speedrun.tv earlier. I never used it before because ??? (I forget why) but the new features are pretty great and I just used it now to find a cool run.

Yeah it's pretty sweet, sure it has login issues with twitch from time to time, but so does twitch itself so whatever. Not to mention cronikeys is really good about responding to people about it and has on more than one occasion added features on my request (goto speedrun.tv/irc to talk to the cool kids)

goatrope posted:

my ezcap works perfectly but i don't run any console games so it just sits there

yeah apparently theres like 1 company that made them that are actually good and everyone cloned it. The one I have SAYS it's one of those on the pcb but I really doubt it.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Steam posted:

Studio is now playing Dota 2

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Before I left for work I decided to play some Pong Masters again for whatever reason

http://www.twitch.tv/seckswrecks/c/5125952

e. a bit of lore about the game. DK64/sonic/other things speedrunner, Ringrush, apparently made this game as part of some summer camp thing when he was 12. He found the disc with it on it a while ago and had a few laughs streaming him playing it on an alternate account. All the in game music are poorly tracked midi versions of his favorite tunes from oot/mm/sa/sa2

you know how in most ball/paddle games the ball gets angle changes based on how far from the center of your paddle it hits? yeah this doesn't have that. Pretty much whatever angle the ball goes right at the start determines everything barring using the very edge of your paddle to make the ball do dumb stuff.

pretty much there is no reason for anyone to ever play this game but I did anyway and did so in a manner faster than anyone else (heeheex2 is the only other person to complete it without cheat codes afaik) can

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Sep 15, 2014

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

"I'm going to go ahead and be quiet so you guys can hear the commentators"

*Moofin starts talking*

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

SeXReX posted:

Then you should probably just watch dustforce all day forever.

or DKC or super metroid

Super Metroid runs are seriously some of the best. It's a great game for running. What's Dustforce?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Dustforce is a game designed to be speedrun pretty much, you are a janitor who has to sweep up all the leaves in a level, and you can only progress by doing the whole level in one smooth, unbroken combo. The last time I watched it there were like, no tricks at all, just solid, consistent execution of hard poo poo.

That is my favorite kind of speedrun personally, meat boy is good too. (Though I assume naija makes it dumb, not sure how well she works outside of a TAS.)

Others may have better videos but this is the one I found first for 100%:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZoxgST5ahE

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 15, 2014

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Dustforce is the best platformer ever and if you've never played it you are in for a treat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

SeXReX posted:

Before I left for work I decided to play some Pong Masters again for whatever reason

http://www.twitch.tv/seckswrecks/c/5125952

e. a bit of lore about the game. DK64/sonic/other things speedrunner, Ringrush, apparently made this game as part of some summer camp thing when he was 12. He found the disc with it on it a while ago and had a few laughs streaming him playing it on an alternate account. All the in game music are poorly tracked midi versions of his favorite tunes from oot/mm/sa/sa2

you know how in most ball/paddle games the ball gets angle changes based on how far from the center of your paddle it hits? yeah this doesn't have that. Pretty much whatever angle the ball goes right at the start determines everything barring using the very edge of your paddle to make the ball do dumb stuff.

pretty much there is no reason for anyone to ever play this game but I did anyway and did so in a manner faster than anyone else (heeheex2 is the only other person to complete it without cheat codes afaik) can

Great run, amazing wr, grats mate

I was going to download it and try to beat your time but I couldn't find it anywhere, then I lost interest in the whole thing. I guess the competitive pong masters scene just wasn't meant to be.

• Locked thread